Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Trip81

Novice
Maybe its because im from germany but i think the "das schwarze auge" trilogy are among the best of the best and absolute must play games. This is my first post and my english isnt the best so please dont be to harsh to me. :)

Avalan

Barely Literate
I'm looking for another crpg to play. Recently i've finished Divinity: Original Sin and I was completely blown away by it. The combat system, the riddles, the story, everything was superb, I couldn't dream of better rpg for myself, so the bar is pretty damn high right now. I really like being stealthy in games (or at least for my main char to be thief/assassin like) and for that build to be effective. I've already tried most major titles like BG and BG II (didn't like them, combat was major turn-off and stealth was meh) NWN I (was fine, even awesome until enemies started being immune to backstabs at which point I uninstalled and never played again) NWN II (major issues with framerate, couldn't get it to work) Morrowind (worst stealth system i've encountered), Obvlivion (very good), Skyrim (very, very good), Gothic I and II (somehow I didn't mind not being stealthy in these too, oh well) Risen (same case as Gothic), Dragon Age, Dragon Age II, Mass Effect I and II(really liked the second, completed it like 3 times). What can you guys and gals suggest me? Also, this is my first post on this forum so hi!

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
[obvious troll is obvious]

For you: welcome to the codex.

For everyone else:

do-not-feed-the-trolls.svg

Avalan

Barely Literate
Forgot to mention my pc is pretty weak (i3-3227u, radeon 7670m) so anything above skyrim is a definite no no for me.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Forgot to mention my pc is pretty weak (i3-3227u, radeon 7670m) so anything above skyrim is a definite no no for me.

That's the great thing about RPGs, you can run the vast majority of the good ones on any old PC. Unfortunately stealth isn't done well on almost any RPG (then again you enjoyed D:OS, so good stealth can't be that important?)

The original Fallouts and the Underrail are other good turnbased RPGs you can try.

I haven't tried a stealth build in Underrail but you can sneak by most enemies and still get good XP due to the oddity system which doesn't necessitate killing.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe its because im from germany but i think the "das schwarze auge" trilogy are among the best of the best and absolute must play games. This is my first post and my english isnt the best so please dont be to harsh to me. :)
They're called "Realms of Arkania" outside of germany, they are already mentioned in the opening post, and yes, they are really classics. Its just sad how they were 'blessed' with such an atrocious remake.

Trip81

Novice
They're called "Realms of Arkania" outside of germany, they are already mentioned in the opening post, and yes, they are really classics. Its just sad how they were 'blessed' with such an atrocious remake.
ahh ok i didn't know that. jeah the remake was shit but im very thankfull to this remake because exactly this game brought me here. I played it and thought the original wasn shitty like that at least i didn't remember it shitty like that. than i ironmand through realms of arkania part 1 (like i had written in the other thread) and all my crpg love came back to me. i havent' played crpgs for a loooong loooong time and now i have all this great games that i can play :) my list contains 40 crpgs at the moment and still growing. thanx shitty realms of arkanie remake. thx alot

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
ahh ok i didn't know that. jeah the remake was shit but im very thankfull to this remake because exactly this game brought me here. I played it and thought the original wasn shitty like that at least i didn't remember it shitty like that. than i ironmand through realms of arkania part 1 (like i had written in the other thread) and all my crpg love came back to me. i havent' played crpgs for a loooong loooong time and now i have all this great games that i can play :) my list contains 40 crpgs at the moment and still growing. thanx shitty realms of arkanie remake. thx alot
Yeah, similar background over here. Codex is a real gold mine if you can brush aside the annoying casual racism and hatred. Anyways, welcome back to the world of crpgs and have fun with your wizardry iron man run!

Trip81

Novice
Yeah, similar background over here. Codex is a real gold mine if you can brush aside the annoying casual racism and hatred. Anyways, welcome back to the world of crpgs and have fun with your wizardry iron man run!
thx in these days you helped me alot and now im feeling like a child in a candy store. :) wizardry is an absolut blast to play. whenever you have some gamtips. keep em coming :) (doesnt have to be ironman only though).

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
I haven't beaten a single wiz title... you might ask someone else :) I'm more the M&M type of guy. Ask me again when you start tackling them.
Here's one tho: Start your return trips considerably before running out of resources. By the time you cast your last DIOS, stairs to town better be in sight already!

Trip81

Novice
I haven't beaten a single wiz title... you might ask someone else :) I'm more the M&M type of guy. Ask me again when you start tackling them.
Here's one tho: Start your return trips considerably before running out of resources. By the time you cast your last DIOS, stairs to town better be in sight already!
naa i meant gaming tips. not like how to survive more like you know some rpg gems? give me some names :) like i said days before my english is bad so i have problems to say what i mean :(

i think im circa halfway through the first wizardry. and somehow this game starts to feel repetetive und empty.
i havent met a single npc yet or something like that.i hope it gets better or i will trash 1-3 an continue on part 5. What a waste of potential :( but i should consider which year they are made.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
naa i meant gaming tips. not like how to survive more like you know some rpg gems? give me some names :) like i said days before my english is bad so i have problems to say what i mean :(

i think im circa halfway through the first wizardry. and somehow this game starts to feel repetetive und empty.
i havent met a single npc yet or something like that.i hope it gets better or i will trash 1-3 an continue on part 5. What a waste of potential :( but i should consider which year they are made.
Ah, okay, got it. For starters, you could work your way through this list: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453 The descriptions should give you a clue whether it might be worth your time.

Nah, wizardry 1 won't get better with npc interactions. Wiz 1-4 barely got any, 5 got few, 6 a bit more but it is 7 where you can explore towns and stuff with actual people inside.
If you're looking for something similar to Realms of Arkania, you might give Albion a shot. While the setting is completely different (sadly, I know no other really good games in the DSA setting other than Nordlandtrilogie), it has a similar vibe to it in terms of gameplay. You also might want to check out Dark Sun, or some Gold Box stuff, like Pools of Radiance or Champions of Krynn. Although Gold Boxes also focus more on combat than npc interactions and stuff.
Also Might & Magic 2, which is one of my all- time favorites, has good graphics and sound on the SNES port and there's a version with german screen texts. Absolute recommendation.

Trip81

Novice
Very nice list thx.
Jeah i stopped playing wizardry. The dungeoncrawling was nice but absolut no interaction with nobody and nothing is a nogo in my eyes. Started to play might and magic 1. man the graphics are Horrible!! But the gameplay ist top notch. i just explored a part of sorpigal but there is so much more to enjoy. And @ albion i will play that game but only after i have finished amberstar and ambermoon. :)

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Everytime I read this list I chuckle to myself when I see any M&M besides World of Xeen making it. The Real-time element of VI-IX completely fucked up the whole series in terms of balance. Everyone has their own guilty pleasure though, I guess.

Well, World of Xeen was so simplistic that it could just as well have been real time. So the real time of MM6+ was just a natural evolution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom