Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Wizardry 8, play or nay?

palmito

Educated
It's not really a must play, but if you're looking for something less known and like first person SF games with shit combat, you might consider Consortium.
It's way too short and pretty buggy, but it has decent dialogue and a sometimes interesting storyline.

Let's move on to my MUST play list:
- Gothic
- Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic I & II
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Deus Ex & Deus Ex: Invisible War
- The Witcher II
- Alpha Protocol
- Mass Effect 2
- Planescape: Torment
- Vampire: Bloodlines
- The walking dead
- The Wolf among us
- Neverwinter Nights 2

OMG there's AAA in there! :yeah:

you forgot Stick RPG, that's ok

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I have played :
-Fallout 1,2,3, and NV
-Arcanum
-Icewind Dale 1 and 2
-Neverwinter Night 2
-Baldurs Gates 1 and 2
-Dragon Age 1 and 2

Any recommendation, what i should playing next ?

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'd stay away from unofficial patches. KOTOR 2 might be the only exception as the unofficial patch restores all kinds of cut content but I've never tried it so I can't comment on the quality.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PS:T unofficial patches were ok, especially the resolution one, although every now and then a topic springs to life here on the Codex about the game crashing in small corridors, so be sure to have the latest ones.

Zierox

Novice
As i said i dont like oldies.I need your suggestions.What are your favourite new rpgs?(max 2-3 years old)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Leading RPG experts agree that Skyrim is a limitless (say it with me - limitlesssss!) role-playing game and is the best game evar that we'll be playing for years to come anyway, so might as well get an early start now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...s/12032-25-Top-RPGs-of-the-Last-Five-Years.10

Greg Tito says: Skyrim is all about possibility. As a limitless role-playing game, the fifth Elder Scrolls game from Bethesda holds the distinction of being the greatest video game that no one ever played all the way through. Well, that's not precisely true, but, anecdotally, nearly all the people I speak to confess to ignoring the main story quests in Skyrim and instead find joy in just exploring the frosty wilderness of the huge open world. There's adventure to be had around every hillock and dell, and the feeling of immersion is just greater there than in any other game.

Graphically, the wonders of Skyrim hold up extremely well since its release 3 years ago - especially on the PC where mods and tweaks can improve the visuals immensely. The sound design and vocal performances were exemplary and the complaints of hearing the same phrases repeat was only due to the huge amount of time players spent in the world. According to Steam data, Skyrim is consistently in the top ten list of games played - amazing considering it came out so long ago.

What made Skyrim special wasn't the combat - it was all you could do with the combat system. It wasn't the story or the races you could choose - it was the infinite combination of choices and role-playing you could exhibit. Skyrim was the greatest blend of mechanics, customization, and freedom found in any role-playing game. And that might go beyond the five year scope of this list.

Schuyler says: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, or just Skyrim to its friends, came out in 2011 and it is still being played in houses around the world. The game on its own is pure genius, a world so huge that it will take hundreds of hours to master it.

Add players and mods into the mix and the game takes on a new life, no two people play the game the same way, which makes it one of the most versatile games to ever have been released. Skyrim can be a stealth game to one person, it can be a much quicker brawler to another, and yet a third person will get immersed in all the little details. Bethesda is the master of the small things, in their games they offer you a plethora of places to explore, people to meet, and very dangerous enemies that just want to hug you with their massive claws.

Skyrim is a game that really takes after Fallout 3 in the sense that you're going to want to pick it up again in a few years and play even more. That's what happens when you create a truly immersive sandbox, you get a game you don't want to stop playing. Bethesda made a sprawling epic of a game that will really stand the test of time, expect to still be playing this off and on for years to come.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As i said i dont like oldies.I need your suggestions.What are your favourite new rpgs?(max 2-3 years old)

Blackguards was good. Also M&MX is ok, even tho the older ones are better. Lords of Xulima obviously is a real gem. Divinity: Original Sin is probably one of the best RPGs in the past 10 years or so.

wasia

Literate
THings that I enjoed a lot
Wizardrys
M&Ms
BGs
Arcanum
PSTs
ToEE
IWDs
KOTORs
Fallouts
DeusExs
DOS

Just were good:
MEs
DA1
Witchers
TESs

Any suggestions?
I havent played VTMB and JadeE and AP, should I?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic 3 unofficial Ptach is also good, if not necessary.

For the last three years that would be Risen 3, Divinity: Original Sin and the Telltale games (The wolf among us + The walking dead), but the latter ones aren't RPG's, more Adventure-ish.
Also playable new games: Shadowrun Returns, The Banner Saga, and probably (as an "insider's tip") Consortium and Mars: War Logs.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
THings that I enjoed a lot
Wizardrys
M&Ms
BGs
Arcanum
PSTs
ToEE
IWDs
KOTORs
Fallouts
DeusExs
DOS

Just were good:
MEs
DA1
Witchers
TESs

Any suggestions?
I havent played VTMB and JadeE and AP, should I?

A bit late, but why not:

You will most probably enjoy Knights of the Chalice, especially since you liked ToEE. Also yes, VTMB is really good, make sure to use the unofficial fanpatch though. JadeE is fun at least once, although it's fairly easy after some point and the combat system is a bit weird. AP is a huge CYOA book with meh gameplay, but it's worth a look I guess.

anakin57

Barely Literate
IMO anything with a Bioware label is a must play, but if I had to rank them:

KOTOR I
Mass Effect (just go ahead and do the whole trilogy)
Baldur's Gate I & II
Jade Empire

Keldryn

Arcane
The combat is just a notch or two below Kotor's, I have suffered trough much worse in my time. No, that's not why I hate this game. I don't even know where to begin explaining this. Let me put it this way: What if Bioware had made the Witcher games, displayed a total lack of respect and understanding for slavic folklore and culture, made Geralt into a racial caricature, inserted the twi'lek gibberish from kotor for when the characters are to speak potato speak and proudly released it as a celebration of Polandball culture? That's Jade Empire in a nutshell for you.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, Jade Empire seemed to be primarily inspired by cheesy kung-fu movies, rather than being a serious treatment of Chinese folklore and culture. A less silly version of Kung-Fu Panda.

One thing that really did bother me about the game was that at one point it gave you a world map... with perhaps three locations on it. It feels like there was supposed to be a whole lot more there. Also, the shooter mini-game felt completely out of place. It would have been better as a cool bonus game that was accessible off the main menu, instead of shoehorning it into the main game.

Not one of Bioware's best games by a long shot, but I enjoyed playing it through once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom