Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Me cherry was popped by LoL1, after I found the old Wizardries, Beholders and MnMs too impenetrable. Still consider it the best cherry popping RPG ever.

Alternatively you can try the new MnM Legacy, although I'd wait at least for the first patch there.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you want to work your way up to the 90s with games less complex, start with some of the better CRPGs from the 80s.

- The Magic Candle
- Dark Heart of Uukrul
- Ultima 1
- Ultima 2
- Ultima III
- Ultima IV
- Ultima V
- Might and Magic 1
- Might and Magic 2
- Rogue
- Wizardry 1
- Phantasie 1
- Phantasie 2
- Phantasie 3
- NetHack
- Sword of Aragon
- Wasteland
- Quest for Glory 1
- Quest for Glory 2
- Temple of Apshai (only if you like action RPGs)

When you feel like more complex games, do try the D&D Gold Box series by SSI.

Last edited:

Supermedo

Augur
If you have to ask you should not be playing either. But GOG.
Well enhanced supposedly have more content while gog have mods support.
Yeah, stick with Oblivion then, mate.
Touche

Deuce Traveler I said to want to pop my cherry not to get analy raped

Welp :
Lands of Lore 1 two points
BG II Two points

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Go for Baldur's Gate (both parts, GOG versions), and follow up with Torment. Then you can start digging deeper.
BG1 is much easier to crack than BG2, which tends to be rather puzzly in its combat and I would not recommend someone new to D&D to start with it (even if it's one of the most user friendly D&D titles).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmph. Non-DnD 90s games you should try:

- Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
- Ultima Underworld 1
- Ultima Underworld 2
- Might and Magic IV/V: Worlds of Xeen
- System Shock 2
- Final Fantasy Tactics

After those try:

- Zangband (90s version)
- Exile Trilogy (freeware now)
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
- Divine Divinity
- Dink Smallwood
- X-Com: UFO Defense (great game, but questionably a CRPG)

More Complex, but great games:
- Arcanum
- Baldur's Gate
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Planescape: Torment
- Darklands
- Jagged Alliance 2

Last edited:

Specs54

Novice
-Gothic 3 ( I like to think it never happened )

Not to defend Gothic 3 but

Arcania_Gothic_4_Game_Cover.jpg

:smug:

Lemming42

Arcane
Enhanced or GOG version ?
And Daggerfall ? I heard it is like a rogue-like but the dungeons are pre-generated with worst combat and empty world and copy pasted areas.

Daggerfall is best played as more of a museum than a game. As in, walk around, marvel at the massive open world, marvel at the deep RPG mechanics, marvel at the beginnings of the Elder Scrolls lore, marvel at just how cool everything is.

If you try to play it as an actual game like you would with Arena, you'll get horrifically raped the instant you set foot outside a town, lost in dungeons for hours (which is fun at first but loses its charm after like 50 hours of one shitty dungeon), crushed by game-breaking bugs and forced to do the same "GO TO DUNGEON GET SPECIAL ITEM WHICH IS HIDDEN IN A BOX IN A FAR-FLUNG CORNER OF A DUNGEON AT THE EDGE OF THE COUNTRY" type quests over and over again.

It's fun, it's one of my favourite games, but you need to approach it with the right mindset.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Enhanced or GOG version ?
And Daggerfall ? I heard it is like a rogue-like but the dungeons are pre-generated with worst combat and empty world and copy pasted areas.
You heard right, it's a good game but it wears out its welcome fast. Play Morrowind for the :obviously: Elder Scrolls experience. I also highly recommend Wizardry 8 if you want a first person party-based, turn-based RPG, it's the best of its kind. As for a game similar to Fallouts try Arcanum, it's a bit more shitty than those games but it's good if you can suffer through the combat.

Supermedo

Augur
-Gothic 3 ( I like to think it never happened )

Not to defend Gothic 3 but

Arcania_Gothic_4_Game_Cover.jpg

:smug:
at least isn't part of the main trilogy or made by piranha bytes, the motherfuckers dropped the ball in Risen 2.

Something's not right here...
ok, you are the second one to comment in this. What is not right ?

Just a hint: more content is not necessarily good.
so it is only a cash grab then ?

Hmph. Non-DnD 90s games you should try:

- Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
- Ultima Underworld 1
- Ultima Underworld 2
- Might and Magic IV/V: Worlds of Xeen
- System Shock 2
- Final Fantasy Tactics

After those try:

- Zangband (90s version)
- Exile Trilogy (freeware now)
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
- Divine Divinity
- Dink Smallwood
- X-Com: UFO Defense (great game, but questionably a CRPG)

More Complex, but great games:
- Arcanum
- Baldur's Gate
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Planescape: Torment
- Darklands
- Jagged Alliance 2
bolded games I played them and it was some serious great shit so I know you recommending good games.

Lemming42 I get what you saying I havn't played daggerfall but I watched reviews of it , all agreed that the game is broken as shit (I don't know it have community patch like gothic 3 or something) but I know isn't the first cRpg game I should start with.

Welp let's summarize the whole thing:

BG I => 1.
BG II => 2.
Lands of Lore 1 => 2.
Morrowind => 2.

I guess I'm going to start with two games (BG I as first D&D games and Lands of the lore for the first dugeon crawler )

Lemming42

Arcane
I'll throw in another vote for Morrowind, it's the best Elder Scrolls game by far.

Also I assumed from your Jensen avatar that you've played the original Deus Ex too, but if you haven't then that's a good RPG as well.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Something's not right here...
ok, you are the second one to comment in this. What is not right ?
If there was a Codex list of worst RPGs ever Oblivion would probably only be at the number 2 slot because Fallout 3 pisses people off more despite being a slightly better game. For instance, Oblivion is my berserk button and implying that you liked it compared to Skyrim would normally have me calling you a faggot. Luckily for you I just woke up and coffee always puts me in a good mood.

I usually don't do this, but if you were a JRPG player and you liked Dragon Age, you should check out the rest of Bioware's line from KOTOR on up. They'd probably be right up your alley.

Other than that, this thread has some good suggestions. Or just go through the most recent top 50 list and pick what looks good from there.

Supermedo

Augur
^
Wait you telling me codxers prefer Skyrim over oblivion ?
I haven't played morrowind yet so I can't compare it with oblivion but skyrim is definitely worse than oblivion in every level.

Lemming42

Arcane
^
Wait you telling me codxers prefer Skyrim over oblivion ?
I haven't played morrowind yet so I can't compare it with oblivion but skyrim is definitely worse than oblivion in every level.

Yeah, people here really really hate Oblivion, and I have to include myself in that.

I can't give you an explanation as to why people like Skyrim more, though, because it's basically just Oblivion with less horrible graphics, set in the TES universe (rather than Oblivion which was set in a bad Middle Earth ripoff with some Elder Scrolls stuff thrown in at random) and more salvageable by mods. Personally I prefer it to Oblivion because it's more in line with Elder Scrolls lore, which Oblivion just completely ignored. It's still a pretty weak game, though, and I don't think I'll be able to play it again for a very very long time.

Specs54

Novice
OP Can you mention types of games you're looking for, or more specifically what you're looking for in a game? Of the games mentioned you've played:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout 3 : new Vegas
Dragon Age : origins
The Elder scrolls oblivion
Skyrim
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 3
System Shock 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jagged Alliance 2

Most of these feature open world and/or sandbox gameplay so I'm just gonna go by that. Arcanum plays very similarly to Fallout and even though it may appear a daunting task of where to put your first skill points it should't be a problem to an experienced Fallout player, plus with that you've already got 2 of the Codex's Trinity done!

While Morrowind is a great sandbox game, it's not a game I would try to lump together with the gothic games, as Morrowind is very heavy on exploration and backstory/lore, practically to the point where it's in own storyfag genre. It's one of those rare gems that actively rewards you for digging into the lore, not just in the manner of neat written fluff but in the physical sense as well. For example, one of the earliest books you can get in the starting town is "The Wraith's Wedding Dowry" Now the book itself is just a little story about a newlywed who has to fight her former bandit clan in her wedding dress, but she mentions her mentor(who's name I can't remember) and where he's from somewhere in the book. If you actually travel to the location mentioned, it turns out there's actually a guy with the same name, and he turns out to be the Master Trainer for unarmored(how else would she know how to fight in a wedding dress). There's also a guy you could meet in a bar who will ask for a drink, and in exchange will tell you a story about some buried treasure(and he's actually not shitting you!). It's miles ahead above Skyrim and Oblivion and I say this as person who can honestly claim that Oblivion was his first rpg :oops:.

Now if you are going ahead to start with Baldur's gate do try to do a BG-BG2-Torment run through, if only to see MCA mock them in the same engine. I wouldn't recommend starting with Lands of Lore and instead also go with Wizardry 8 as others as mentioned. It's 3D movement will be more natural to you if you've never tried a game with grid movement before, but it's your call.

I dunno. Oblivion came out like a decade ago. I can totally see someone out there thinking Skyrim is an insult to the classic.

edit: Drago unbrofisted my previous post...probably to sound less suspicious. Alt confirmed.

edit 2: and now he brofisted it again. :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom