Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of RPGs for storyfags

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i started getting into cRPGs back in 2012 (technically, alot earlier with oblivion, dragon age origins and mass effect games, they maybe considered a decline by codexers, but they were great introduction games for young me back then, which lead to my obsession now), which planescape: torment was my first old school cprg.

after awhile, i tried alot of RPGs, lots of them click, and some not so much. in those years, a pattern arise, and i identify more as a storyfags (or better worldbuildingfags if you consider it to be a thing) in a sense i like world with decent lore, interactivity, reactivity and choices and consequences, quest variety, instead of deep, satisfying combat mechanics and character building.

i'm practically new for some of the guys here who's been playing for decades, so that i asked for the wise men of RPG codex to help to find games for me that i might overlook.

on the top of my head, these are the list of games/series i have played so far

-planescape torment
-baldurs gate 1/2
-kotor 1/2
-jade empire
-fallout series (only the mainline games aka 1/2/3/new vegas/4 [didn't enjoy 3/4 because beth shitty everything)
-arcanum
-avadon series
-avernum series
-geneforge series
-deus ex series
-system shock 2
-gothic series
-risen series
-dragon age series
-mass effect series
-elder scrolls (especially morrowind and oblivion, didn't like skyrim too much because of alot of shallower quests and guild progression)
-age of decandence
-underrail
-all the new shadowrun games
-vampire the masquerade: bloodlines
-alpha protocol
-neverwinternight series
-wasteland series
-divinity series (except i never finished beyond divinity because it was so awful)
-witcher trilogy
-banner saga
-heroine's quest (a bit pushing it, but it does have its fair share of RPG and interesting side questing plus C&C)
-pillars of eternity

other RPGs that i enjoyed, but doesnt really click because it doesnt please my storyfaggotry:

-van helsing games
-king's bounty
-titan quest

stuff i haven't played, but owned or in wishlist

-eschalon series
-lords of xulima
-temple of elemental evil
-ultima vii
-hard west
-stasis (this too, is more a point and click adventure, but i heard it's at least RPG lite and have isometric POV)
-serpents in the staglands
-jagged alliance
-balrum
-icewind dale series
-expedition: conquistadors
and some other stuff i probably forget until someone mentioned

Planescape: Torment has the best story I have had the honor to meet in video games so far, better than all I see on the list here

I could not play The Witcher 3 seriously, but according to my sources (reliables), is the only one with a story almost up to Planescape

Kahr

Planescape: Torment has the best story I have had the honor to meet in video games so far, better than all I see on the list here

I could not play The Witcher 3 seriously, but according to my sources (reliables), is the only one with a story almost up to Planescape
No; just no. To everything.

Pretty newfaggy place here.
What about wizadries and might and magics though?

Deleted member 7219

You might as well use the Codex top 100 lists, plenty of good stuff to choose from there. I'd recommend anything from Obsidian, CDProjekt and Harebrained Schemes for recent examples of RPGs heavy on the storyfaggotry.

Right now I'm playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky games, they're also deeply storyfag (but they are JRPGs, player agency on the story is sorely lacking).

Doktor Best

Arcane

No; just no. To everything.

Pretty newfaggy place here.
What about wizadries and might and magics though?

He wants storyfag games, and you come with wizardry and might and magic?

Witcher 3 is great, excellent even if you want a decent story, the addon is even better and id regard it one of the best crpg quests of all time. Planecape Torment i would assume he already played if he has any interest in storyfag rpgs. You cant really compare it to Witcher 3 though.

Shadowrun Dragonfall is also worth to mention. Its biowary, but biowary done well. Really captures the mood of the setting.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He already played the new Shadowrun titles.

Be sure to check out Consortium.
Also, if you don't necessarily need it to be RPG's but can deal with Adventure-ish games too of course the Telltale-games (The Walking Dead, The Wolf among us, Game of Thrones) and Life is strange come to mind.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
stuff i haven't played, but owned or in wishlist

-eschalon series
-lords of xulima
-temple of elemental evil
-ultima vii
-hard west
-stasis (this too, is more a point and click adventure, but i heard it's at least RPG lite and have isometric POV)
-serpents in the staglands
-jagged alliance
-balrum
-icewind dale series
-expedition: conquistadors

If you liked Baldur's Gate, you'll probably enjoy Icewind Dale and Temple of Elemental Evil, even though both do not focus on story too much. Lords of Xulima has been one of the best RPG's recently, though it's more combat and exploration focused and the story is so-so. Jagged Alliance has a story, but it's pretty much THE combatfag game out there.

Wizardry 7 has a good story, though it's also heavy on combat/exploration and is somewhat dated now, just like Ultima 7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom