Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Linux

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Developers stated they are not going to release this game for Linux, unfortunately. Hence I need to ask you, guys, does it work fine under Wine? Any issues? I don't want to buy the game only to find out it doesn't work or to have a bunch of annoying issues - I'd rather not play it in such a case.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It works on my machine (i5 4670K, Radeon R9 270 X, 8 GB RAM Goodram) and on Lubuntu (using GOG version for that) I only installed Wine + typed the command "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" and it worked like a charm (without that command the game would run to menu but after clicking on a new game there was an error). And FYI I'm a total Linux noob, I use Linux only to make bank transfers, that's the first Windows game I've ever installed on Linux (I've run 1 or 2 games before but never installed one - besides AoD). Another proof that AoD is better than Underrail.

You can find more instructions here but something tells me that unlike me you won't need instructions.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/foru...8b2068e9758f33&topic=3479.msg107270#msg107270

And there's always an option to run the demo (or full demo if you know what I mean) and check for yourself. And buy it on GOG, jako Polak powinieneś wspeirać rodzime firmy.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks, that is good to know. Yeah, I'll probably buy it on GOG. I hope I will have a stable decent FPS on my Intel HD 4000 though ;) Old betas run fine, but they didn't have shaders yet.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm using Wine 1.8.1 (installed it today in fact, along with AoD from GOG) since it's stable but I might try 1.9.4 next week if I'll have time. But on 1.8.1. it works very well, no crashes.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Use PlayOnLinux to keep different windows virtual hard drives with different Wine versions.

Konjad

Patron
Use PlayOnLinux to keep different windows virtual hard drives with different Wine versions.
PlayOnLinux is shit, breaks more stuff that it helps with in my experience, and creates a lot of unnecessary clutter. I prefer to have one single wine version that supports everything, and at worst I just need to write single scripts for particular software to work, and then I can forget about setting anything up. It's way more convenient than PlayOnLinux.

Bought the game, run the installation through Wine 1.9.1, then the game. Everything seems to work. I will report everything to Wine database soon, when I play for a while, because the data is too old for people to consider reliable.

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
PlayOnLinux is shit, breaks more stuff that it helps with in my experience, and creates a lot of unnecessary clutter. I prefer to have one single wine version that supports everything, and at worst I just need to write single scripts for particular software to work, and then I can forget about setting anything up. It's way more convenient than Wine.
What does it break?

Konjad

Patron
PlayOnLinux is shit, breaks more stuff that it helps with in my experience, and creates a lot of unnecessary clutter. I prefer to have one single wine version that supports everything, and at worst I just need to write single scripts for particular software to work, and then I can forget about setting anything up. It's way more convenient than Wine.
What does it break?
I don't remember now, I had some issues with some software when I was using it. It was quite some time ago. I don't see a reason to keep multiple Wine versions and additional unnecessary software anyway, when I can just have one single Wine and that's it. I can run all the software, from dictionaries written for Windows 98 to XP on it, and from old 2D to modern 3D games. Why would I use Play on Linux.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
What does it break?
I don't remember now, I had some issues with some software when I was using it. It was quite some time ago. I don't see a reason to keep multiple Wine versions and additional unnecessary software anyway, when I can just have one single Wine and that's it. I can run all the software, from dictionaries written for Windows 98 to XP on it, and from old 2D to modern 3D games. Why would I use Play on Linux.
From my experience there tend to be regressions in Wine.

Konjad

Patron
I updated Wine database for similar people as me, who are considering buying the game and running it on Linux. It's odd that the data was so old, I thought this game was rather popular.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
In case someone is wondering, GOG version of Dungeon Rats works perfectly on Linux (haven't played that much but I can't see any problems on Lubuntu). I have the same configuration as I said in my first post in this thread. Some pics for proof:

Fullscreen works fine too but you wouldn't be able to tell that I'm on Linux. On linux I'm playing on lower details though because drivers (and because I'm a linux noob).

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Last time I tried to install AMD drivers I've had a black screen and couldn't restore the graphical environment. Like I said, I'm a linux noob.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, AMD haven't reached the same linux quality as NVIDIA has.
Last time I installed a driver on my Optimus-card "powered" laptop on linux, I was blown away by the fact that I no longer needed to bother with that shitfest Bumblebee (seriously, has anyone ever gotten that to function with less than an hour of work?).
Before that, I was sure never to buy an Optimus-laptop again. Now I might.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why wouldn't you buy an Nvidia card? They are pretty much guaranteed to work fine with linux, and since much longer ago. And now, even those dual GPU/CPU laptop cards.
For AMD, as you said, the support is only good for new cards, and not everyone would want to spend the money to buy a very new graphics card.
Just seems to me that for AMD GPUs you're required to do more research to check if your hardware will work fine. For Nvidia, you don't even have to check. It will work.

Then again, that kind of research is unfortunately still required for some other bits of hardware on linux. Especially Wifi-cards, for some weird reason. And if you gotta do the research anyway, might as well do it for the GPU.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Why wouldn't you buy an Nvidia card? They are pretty much guaranteed to work fine with linux, and since much longer ago. And now, even those dual GPU/CPU laptop cards.

It's the attitude Nvidia show towards linux driver development. You only get a binary driver, so if Nvidia tomorrow decide that linux is no longer for them then you're screwed. Also they downright paranoid when it comes to releasing specs and firmware for new cards, which is why the open source nvidia drivers are so poor.

AMD, on the other hand, is actively working with open source developers and the core of the new AMDGPU drivers is open source and shared by both the kernel version and the AMD-provided binaries. It's got to the point now where the open source drivers are a viable option for playing games, along with the big strides made by the Mesa openGL drivers, and that's down to AMD. If I wanted to send a message to graphics card designers that I prefer this attitude then I would ditch my old Nvidia card and buy one of the new Radeons, which is precisely what I did and I don't regret it. They may not yet be on the level of the Nvidia drivers but they're heading very rapidly in the right direction, whereas Nvidia couldn't care less.

Steam version works for me this far at least. There's minor graphics artifacts in some places where floor meets the wall (see spoiler), but I haven't tried fixing it yet. Could be something really simple.

Xubuntu 16.04
Wine 1.9.22 and Windows Steam
GTX 560Ti with 367.57 drivers

Pb4jsXB.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

It's the attitude Nvidia show towards linux driver development. You only get a binary driver, so if Nvidia tomorrow decide that linux is no longer for them then you're screwed. Also they downright paranoid when it comes to releasing specs and firmware for new cards, which is why the open source nvidia drivers are so poor.

AMD, on the other hand, is actively working with open source developers and the core of the new AMDGPU drivers is open source and shared by both the kernel version and the AMD-provided binaries. It's got to the point now where the open source drivers are a viable option for playing games, along with the big strides made by the Mesa openGL drivers, and that's down to AMD. If I wanted to send a message to graphics card designers that I prefer this attitude then I would ditch my old Nvidia card and buy one of the new Radeons, which is precisely what I did and I don't regret it. They may not yet be on the level of the Nvidia drivers but they're heading very rapidly in the right direction, whereas Nvidia couldn't care less.

Frankly, the whole EGLStreams Wayland mess is by itself a perfectly good reason not to buy an NVIDIA card if you spend any amount of time using a Linux desktop. In this specific case, unlike the driver one (where it can be argued that one should care about the driver quality rather than how the code is licensed), NVIDIA's stupid corporate politics will actually directly worsen your user experience, as more desktop environments ship Wayland as default.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

This has been going on since the 90s and yet the situation is almost always the same. ATI were more open, more OGL focused but performance/stability was just not on par back then, but they were 'moving in the right direction.' Here now some 20 years later and the story is the same.

AMD are arguably better and worse OpenGL cards for workstation purposes such as EDA design on very expensive tools from Cadence, Mentor and the like. I'm not sure they have ever been a better choice for end user Linux use. Their heart may have historically been in a better place than NVidia from an openness and philosophical perspective but I don't remember their drivers ever performing better than the proprietary driver powered NVidia competition.

Just an observation.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
This has been going on since the 90s and yet the situation is almost always the same. ATI were more open, more OGL focused but performance/stability was just not on par back then, but they were 'moving in the right direction.' Here now some 20 years later and the story is the same.

AMD are arguably better and worse OpenGL cards for workstation purposes such as EDA design on very expensive tools from Cadence, Mentor and the like. I'm not sure they have ever been a better choice for end user Linux use. Their heart may have historically been in a better place than NVidia from an openness and philosophical perspective but I don't remember their drivers ever performing better than the proprietary driver powered NVidia competition.

Just an observation.

It's been lip service and the way forward for some time. I had an ATI card in the 90s (I think, or possibly early 2000s) and for most of the time since then Radeon drivers have been abominable, with Nvidia the choice for linux support. Both binary drivers were the only ones usable as the open source drivers were dire.

Now that seems to have changed. AMD have actually done something and open sourced their drivers and the equation has tipped towards them. I'm not joking when I say that the AMDGPU open source drivers are nearly as good as the binary only Nvidia ones of my previous card. It's pretty miraculous, and I'm going to reward that effort by buying Radeon cards and seriously looking at the Zen processors when it comes time for an upgrade.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Hopefully you are right. They have opened things up before though. Let's see in a year to two.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
anyone else having stupid high maxed out cpu use with DR / steam? aod didnt behave like this on windows and its my first time using wine. tried 1.9.22 main + staging, any tips?

What distribution? I'm getting around 25% usage per core just idling so around 1/4 total processor usage. More when scrolling but never maxing out a core. Don't need staging to run Dungeon Rats or AoD. No library overrides either, as far as I can remember. It works fine with vanilla wine.

Revenant

Any chance for The New World to be released for Linux? Unreal Engine should require considerably less effort to port than Torque, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom