Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Limit Theory - An Infinite, Procedural Space Game - DEAD

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Limit Theory's just had a new update, and will be funded in four days. The one-man team developing this game studies computer graphics at Stanford in addition to working on Limit Theory approximately 40 hours per week. What do you do, exactly? Oh, you're a freelance writer? A freelance web designer? An RPG Codex administrator? Yeah, that's what I thought. Josh Parnell is 748% more valuable as a human being than Morgoth, 5,173% more valuable than FretRider, and almost 30% more valuable than yours truly. He is reportedly infinitely more valuable than DarkUnderlord, which is understandable given what happened with Fan Made Fallout.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game

Latest update:

Congratulations to everyone on hitting that planetary ownership stretch goal! I'm sure you're all excited to build your empire! I'm really interested to see what happens in the last few days...particularly because I'm so enthused about being able to run my own faction. But regardless of where our total ends up, we've already garnered more than enough support to make Limit Theory a reality, so everyone should rest easy knowing that they'll be playing it in due time! :)

The $200K Stretch Goal Appears!

Docking Bays and Carriers won by an absurd margin on the forum stretch goal poll, so there's really no question that it should be next! Get ready to be able to carry your ship collection with you, because if we hit this goal, you'll be able to purchase and build ships with internal hangars that will be able to hold smaller ships (scouts, fighters, corvettes, perhaps even destroyers). You'll be able to use your carriers to repair, refit, and transfer cargo to/from docked ships, which would usually only be possible by landing on a planet or space station. In addition, you'll be able to use carriers to switch to piloting other docked ships, which, again, would usually only be possible at a planet or space station.

This opens up a whole new world of exciting gameplay possibilities! Imagine having your whole collection of fighters to choose from when a battle begins. You can pilot your carrier, then switch to one of your docked ships, go out and participate in the fight, then return, dock, repair, and carry on piloting the carrier.

As with the previous two stretch goals, this one will come as a free, post-release content update, so it will not ship with the first release of LT, but will come for free at some point in the months thereafter. Again, this is to ensure that I have enough time to properly implement everything without pushing back the release date of LT!

New Wallpapers

You can get the full-res versions at http://ltheory.com/media.html

New Badges

Yes indeed, I'm trying to see if I can set a record for the number of KS badges produced by one project. I think I may have already set it...we're now at 17 badges, so let me know if you know of any project that has more than that!

The Meaning of Limit Theory

Maybe you've already read the short little snippet that I wrote concerning the back story of Limit Theory and the meaning of the name, but I'm guessing most haven't. Well, I'd like to share a little bit of the "story" of Limit Theory, because it turns out that the meaning of the name runs a significant bit deeper than just two cool words that I pulled out of the air!

Limit Theory isn't just the name of the game. It's also the abbreviated name of a philosophy, which happens to be the philosophy that forms the back story for the game. The Theory of Nonexistence of Extrinsic Limitation, or Limit Theory for short, says that all limits, all things that oppose you, all challenges, are fundamentally located within your mind, and nowhere else. In other words, the only real limits are within yourself, not within the external world. This mentality directly implies that you can somehow overcome any limit simply by making the appropriate internal change.

To understand how radical of a theory it is, imagine applying it to a situation in your life. Let's say that you've got a corporate job that you're kind of lukewarm about, and that your dream job has always been to become a musician and travel around Europe on tour. Big dreams, but Limit Theory says that the only thing stopping you from doing so is yourself. It says that, if you feel that something external - your boss, financial situations, social obligation, etc - is the thing keeping you from doing so, then you are wrong. Limit Theory posits that a limit is, by definition, internal to your mind. Now, maybe it's true, maybe it's not. But the point is that the mentality, regardless of whether it's objectively correct, encourages one to take action. It encourages one to question whether anything is actually opposing progress towards a dream, or whether it's simply a mental unwillingness to take action.

So why does this theory matter? Well, it forms the back story of the LT universe. The explanation for why you have space ships, space stations, faster-than-light travel, etc. in LT is that you come from an extremely advanced civilization. How did they get to be so advanced? Simply-put, they were the original founders of the Limit Theory philosophy, and the greatest proponents of it that the universe has ever seen. They were rabid idealists, believing firmly that all limitations were internal, and that, with enough mental fortitude, any problem would eventually yield to the mighty fist of intellect. And they were right. They terraformed planets that should have been living Hells into magnificent Edens. They produced hyperdrive engines that made the laws of physics bow before them. They sung their song of idealism from one corner of the galaxy to the other, using technology that should have been reserved for gods, not men. And they did so because they believed in the theory of nonexistence of extrinsic limitation.

So that's the backstory. But it goes even deeper than that, because, as you might have guessed already, Limit Theory isn't just the philosophy of the civilization in the game. It's my personal philosophy.

Let's apply it to a situation that comes a bit closer to home. Let's say that you're a 20-year-old college student, and you want to make a space simulation game with a massive scope. Perhaps other people will tell you that it's too much work for one person. But suppose that you believe in Limit Theory. Then you believe, regardless of what other people might say, that the only thing standing between you and the finished product is your mind. You believe that with enough hours of work, thought, code, research, etc...you can succeed.

Perhaps the ultimate, mind-bending irony of the whole thing is that successfully producing the game Limit Theory will be the ultimate proof of the philosophy with the same name. Over the next year-and-some, I intend to complete that proof and show you all that my philosophy is valid, at least with respect to this application!

And there you have it, just thought I'd let you all know that the name is actually a lot richer than your average "select a handful of sci-fi-ish words" space game title!

So...do you believe in the theory of nonexistence of extrinsic limitation? If so, maybe you should stop reading this, and go achieve your dreams! ;)

~Josh

Third tech demo:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Meh, it's fleet control. I prefer single ship control space simulators. They say you can do that - but I've got a sneaking suspicion you'll need all that fleet shit if you want to win / do stuff.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Baron

Arcane
Josh said:
"So this game is an RPG in the sense that you're in direct control of a single person in a single ship."
A bit like Space Invaders then?

Really impressive effort by one person but I agree with Excidium, it's going to be boring.

Josh said:
"You won't be any kind of quest or any kind of mission to accomplish BUT there's plenty to do." (sound of crickets)
Josh said:
"The goals you want to achieve and the means to achieve them are left completely up to you..."
Josh said:
"You can fly around wherever you like, mine asteroids, pick fights with NPCs, you can land on planets where you can trade or take missions... or you can just explore."

You can fly aimlessly. Shoot rocks.* Shoot passing ships. Endure a lengthy docking procedure prior to buying or selling. Or um... fly aimlessly.

I quite like his capital ship explosions though, and the fact that a hulk is still there drifting after it's destroyed. I always hated evaporating capital ships.

* Mind you, these will be procedurally generated rocks, no two alike, and everyone of them will be uniquely boring.

Lightknight

Liturgist
How exactly did you quantify this, Einstein? If you can answer that question sufficiently
He's from Norfolk, supposedly, so of course he talks rubbish, that's what they do.

Emily

Arcane
looks generic and boring honestly.
I see no reason why would anyone play this random map rather then X3 for instance

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh yes, XÂł isn't generic at ALL and has no faults, other than its ancient engine that runs like shit even on a gaming rig built five years later (and ran like shit even when it was new); lack of documentation; shitty user interface, even once you've memorized it and the controls; the dumbed-down, arcade-y, non-Newtonian flight mechanics; a truckload of bugs; an abysmally shitty AI that offers no challenge whatsoever; and stale gameplay that involves doing boring nonsense in lifeless systems specked with lifeless stations. Having spent six months tediously building up your empire, you then earn the honor of doing all this boring garbage with your own fleet and superstructures, except now controlling all your shit is so unwieldy that any small amount of enjoyment you'd been experiencing quickly evaporates. There's also the laughably awful "story," but I've always ignored that.

I see no reason to write Limit Theory off if you enjoyed the X series. It too is generic and boring, and Limit Theory may actually not be.

Emily

Arcane
Oh yes, XÂł isn't generic at ALL and has no faults, other than its ancient engine that runs like shit even on a gaming rig built five years later (and ran like shit even when it was new); lack of documentation; shitty user interface, even once you've memorized it and the controls; the dumbed-down, arcade-y, non-Newtonian flight mechanics; a truckload of bugs; an abysmally shitty AI that offers no challenge whatsoever; and stale gameplay that involves doing boring nonsense in lifeless systems specked with lifeless stations. Having spent six months tediously building up your empire, you then earn the honor of doing all this boring garbage with your own fleet and superstructures, except now controlling all your shit is so unwieldy that any small amount of enjoyment you'd been experiencing quickly evaporates. There's also the laughably awful "story," but I've always ignored that.

I see no reason to write Limit Theory off if you enjoyed the X series. It too is generic and boring, and Limit Theory may actually not be.
Everything you say about x3 is (sadly) true.
However this looks way worse in every possible way. Looks like a shallow game, with a random ( fucking boring) generated space. If you think x3 was lifeless how much lifeless is this going to be?
So far i see no owning of station, no real economy, shit graphics ( minor point but yeah),combat looks awful and uninspired, compare it to something like freespace and it is laughable

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So far i see no owning of station

You can own your own stations, planets, factions, and fleets, to include carriers, or a fleet of carriers.

There will also be an economy, which you'd know if you'd actually read anything about the game. Considering you're willing to criticize Limit Theory for its faults while being unaware of most of its major features, your opinion doesn't amount to a hill of cat shit as far as I'm concerned.

stretch5ookpe.png

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Someone should take one of these game engines, tack an RPG engine into it, ditch the random generation and set the game inside a solar system.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The physics model isn't always important, in Homeworld for example.

'Course, there's no pleasing the Codex. In the Star Citizen thread people were whining about the game not being arcade-y enough.

Cool name

Arcane
A question: In the Kickstarter page the carriers did not make the cut, yet in the image you did post they did. Which one is correct?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A question: In the Kickstarter page the carriers did not make the cut, yet in the image you did post they did. Which one is correct?

Check the comments—he went ahead and threw them in anyway as a bonus, despite not reaching the arbitrary milestone.

He probably views stretch goals the same way I do: more as psychological incentives than irrevocable lines drawn in the sand.

hiver

Someone should take one of these game engines, tack an RPG engine into it, ditch the random generation and set the game inside a solar system.
actually, ... that is my plan.

minor details notwithstanding.

hiver

Procedural tech trees. (thats rght - procedural)

Modding support - and boy does it look good.

If only i had the willpower and stamina to make an RPG out of it...

/
how about moving this to sims subforum WhiskeyWolf

Last edited by a moderator:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
The question is, do you think it will deliver?
It's like a Daggerfall in space minus the RPG elements. I kind of like, but it seems a long shot.
Then again maybe you know something we don't, Blaine.

hiver

Im only keeping an eye on this as a possible way to mod an actual space RPG. Not really interested in another space game that does EVERYTHING!!!

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Now, that is worth watching in my opinion. A great update! I backed the game, but was very sceptic about what Josh Parnell was envisioning. But with each episode, I am more and more stunned by the work he is doing. The guy's a fucking genius.

So, Economy! (or at least the foundations for it). I guess that's what Egosoft's wet dream was all about but never materialized :lol:. Here, you have a single guy showing how it is supposed to be done.

Also, JarlFrank or WhiskeyWolf don't be fucking lazy slackers! Move it to sim forums!

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Perhaps the ultimate, mind-bending irony of the whole thing is that successfully producing the game Limit Theory will be the ultimate proof of the philosophy with the same name. Over the next year-and-some, I intend to complete that proof and show you all that my philosophy is valid, at least with respect to this application!

~Josh

Fast forward 17 years into the future: "It's coming out this summer,I just need to iron out a few bugs and rewrite the code to make the game compatible with Windows 16."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom