Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Life is Strange [5 episodes of Gone Home]

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by toro, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Make America Great Again Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Why would I try Gone Home? I've already seen all five minutes of it on Youtube.

^ Top  
  2. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Parrots:
    Just figured you were in a mood to punish yourself, I mean otherwise why would you play this?

^ Top  
  3. HoboForEternity Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    life is strange is just a poor, poor man's stein;s gate.

play it instead if you wanna good time travel story about saving a girl

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    "Time travel" and "good story" are antonyms.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Matt with a full stop at the end Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Life is Strange is definitely one of the most overrated games I've ever played, and definitely one where the player character is utterly forgettable, and the other main character is utterly detestable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I am still trying to figure it out. I feel like an addict coming off a heroin high and finding himself laying in his own shit and vomit trying to figure out what life choices brought him here.

^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I would have also accepted 12 Monkeys.

But the rule of thumb says including time travel in your story means I will avoid it like the plague.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Parrots:
    Why are people complaining about Chloe being a prick? That's the whole point, she's selfish and moody, not to mention the weird horrifying thing where she uses you as a Rachel substitute. You're not necessarily meant to think she's wonderful.

• meh meh x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Max Stats Learned

Max Stats
    Parrots:
    Deadly Premonition did it a lot better even though its not really a good game. Swery really got the TP craziness down, though.

Space Quest 4. Back to the Future. At least the first two Terminator movies. Quantum Leap. Bill & Ted.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Matt with a full stop at the end Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Lots of people seem to like her.

^ Top  
  13. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Parrots:
    A lot of the story is just a character study of Chloe in regards to her friendship with Max and why she's become so jealous and posessive, so the game fleshes Chloe out enough to give you plenty of reasons to sympathize with or like her (not that you have to). I'm just not sure why her abrasiveness is being used as a criticism of the game's writing, and I think the story works just as well if you dislike Chloe all the way through.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    You notice how most of those are comedies or just have an excuse plot.

^ Top  
  15. bddevil Literate

bddevil
    Parrots:
    You know what's funny ? As shit the writing is and as desperately David Lynch-y and edgy this wants to be, at its core it's still a better adventure game than most of telltale shit and dreamfall chapters. Simply because devs avoided the cutscene-to-cutscene noninteractive telltale shit and the 'big and empty city with nothing to do' like dreamfall. It's linear as shit but the small locations allow for good exploration and there's plenty of hotspots for back stories and tidbits.

I wish some good writing makes it into this concept so we have something at least semi-interactive in the pop 'adventure' gaming nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with this non-game.

- inauthentic, cringeworthy AND unskippable dialog
    - checkpoint saving, combined with the above, is very annoying
    - pointless collectibles that undermine the core of the game (ludonarrative dissonance when all you got is narrative? great) e.g. taking pictures when you're on the clock
    - a time travel story that spends zero time on explaining the rules of time travel. How far can Max rewind? How exactly does rewind work, such that it allows Max to retain objects and occupy a different space? How are grandfather, bootstrap etc paradoxes resolved, or not resolved? What is the rationale for the continuum decay? How does reverting the initial change mean anything? It feels much more lazy than even the usual low bar for these sorts of stories.
    - a mess of loose plot threads left as red herrings

As for the plot twists, they've been done before and done better elsewhere. So all in all, not very impressed, should have focused on doing one thing well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. I'm With Her Morgoth for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. RuySan Augur

RuySan
    Parrots:
    You'all have terrible taste. Life is Strange is great. If you were expecting exploration go play daggerfall. Loved this shit. Arcadia Bay looks a lot like the place I grew up, and the whole vibe and atmosphere is top notch. There's also some great reactivity (for adventure game standards...don't do expecting some Bloodlines level of quality on that department).

People all say Twin Peaks, but the movie this mostly reminds me of is Goonies, which was definitely my favourite while growing up. So yeah, the memberberries are strong in this one, so it's probably a very personal thing of why I love this thing so much.

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. TheChickenKing Novice

TheChickenKing
    Parrots:
    I actually complained about this game's dialogue, when it first came out, to a highschool kid attending the same gym as myself that I occasionally talked about video games with. He asked what the big issue was, and I referenced how frequently the game used words like "hella" to sound hip and cool. He informed me that this was how people at his highschool actually spoke.

I'm not really sure what that says about Life is Strange (beyond that the frequent complaint of "unauthentic dialogue" is incorrect; even if one would argue that the dialogue is poorly written, that would ultimately be a separate argument) but I am certain that it spells doom for the human race if anyone is speaking like that.

^ Top  
  20. Zombra Arcane

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong

^ Top  
  21. Tom Selleck Arcane

Tom Selleck
    Parrots:
    • Spoilers should go in spoiler tags
    I got this thing for like $2.00 on the Microsoft XBox 360 Video Game & Home Entertainment Console and to any future souls who make it to this page in the thread, all the bad stuff said about this game is correct, and all of the good stuff is incorrect. The fact that anyone is so desperate for storyfaggotry that they Stockholm syndrome themselves into saying this is anything but laborious, odious tripe is beyond comprehension. Beyond imagination! Beyond time!

I wish I could rewind time and break my controller so I couldn't play it.

I also bought Dungeon Siege III for like $3.00.

For anyone who hasn't played it or has just started, I hope I can save you valuable time in your lives:

Show Spoiler
    The teacher is the murderer and he killed the Rachel girl. Also he did this for no reason and has a murderbunker like a cartoon bad guy on a lesser episode of a CSI spinoff.

Also my game glitched so he appeared with gunshot wounds on his torso whenever he showed up in the classroom again, which was probably the best part of the game because it looked like he spilled pasta sauce on his chest.

There was a lot of potential. I have a lot of complicated thoughts on why it sucks so badly, but it's like a three year old game and nobody cares.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zombra Arcane

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Wow asshole, ignore it is.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Crooked Bee pro-vacation Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    He shouldn't have spoiled it without using spoiler tags - but he is right.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:
    I was in the mood to listen to some music from the game. A comment on one of the videos depressed the hell out of me.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)