Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is Strange [5 episodes of Gone Home]

Lemming42

Arcane
The boxed edition has commentary too, which might be worth the purchase assuming it's like movie commentary and covers the entire game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus, you "noticed"? Square Enix won't stop sending me emails about it. I've probably received 5 emails about the LIS special signed bullshit edition, no exaggeration.

Venser

Erudite
lol preordered it the day it was announced. Already on it's way.
Can't believe they wasted an opportunity to throw in a few polaroids with character portraits. Would've been perfect.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
1 hour commentary video was released as free DLC today. Meh, I hoped it would be ingame commentary when it was announced.

Yeah and honest trailer...

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
And apparently DRM free.

What gave you that idea?

the boxed edition will indeed come complete with a game disc. The PC version will additionally come with a Steam code that will need to be registered to your Steam account before you can install and play the game, but you will still be able to install most of the game from the disc. You may need to download additional updates once the installation is complete.

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/update-life-strange-limited-edition

vonAchdorf

Arcane
What gave you that idea?

I didn't find a single mention of Steam on their product store page or in the system requirements. And their store downloads are usually DRM free, so I assumed, the game will be as well.

Looks like I have to wait for the game to arrive to be sure.

I tried this with an open mind, but my barren 35 year old heart cannot into 18 year old melodrama. The writing seems terrible right off the bat, voice acting is forced as fuck and situations are impossibly contrived. The high school cast is a parade of stereotypes (conflicted protagonist, silent outcast, obnoxious prep, attractive mysterious teacher who most likely is a really bad guy, etc.).

I don't think there's hope for me anymore.

Lemming42

Arcane
I tried this with an open mind, but my barren 35 year old heart cannot into 18 year old melodrama. The writing seems terrible right off the bat, voice acting is forced as fuck and situations are impossibly contrived. The high school cast is a parade of stereotypes (conflicted protagonist, silent outcast, obnoxious prep, attractive mysterious teacher who most likely is a really bad guy, etc.).

I don't think there's hope for me anymore.

It gets more and more engaging as it goes on, the first episode can be kind of off-putting. The high school cast is largely stereotypes, but they're fun ones and they're used decently in the story.

It ends up being sort of like LA Noire but set in Twin Peaks with time travel and a protagonist who makes enjoyably bad pop culture jokes. It's also got some legit good C&C that comes up in ways you don't expect. If that sounds appealing then forge ahead, if not then abandon ship.

Lemming42

Arcane

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the Kodex Kritikal Konsensus is that this game is shit?

I actually enjoyed it mostly and it's a lot more interactive than the Telltale games. Haven't finished it yet but I'm at what I think is the end of Episode 4. My major problem with this game is that the characters don't fit their supposed ages well. A bunch of 18-year olds with more maturity than most 30 year olds in real life, Especially Max. Bunch of skool kids acting like adults, like the American Pie movies or Star Ocean The Last Hope.

Chloe is p. entertaining, the stereotypical smartass manic-depressive punk rock chick, but a lot of her and Max's pop culture jokes are about stuff that 18/19 year old Millennials just wouldn't have grown up with. Dat episode 3 ending was p. Emotionally Engaging and resulted in much lulz later when I Googled reviews and it led me to SJW Central. The Kotaku comments nearly had me in stitches.

Bottom line: Gigglesqueenix does Telltale games better than Telltale

r00fles!

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kodex Kritikal Konsensus is that this game is shit?

Seems to be more divided, actually, and most of who played it seemed to have liked it.

My major problem with this game is that the characters don't fit their supposed ages well. A bunch of 18-year olds with more maturity than most 30 year olds in real life, Especially Max.

Interesting point. Posters critical of the game claim the opposite ('muh SJW teenage drama'), I am more inclined to agree with you. Kids acting outside of what can be realistically expected from them at their age is pretty much a staple of young adult/youth literature/movies/games. The easy answer to this would be that adults can't into teenage and kids minds but there are probably other reasons for that as well (appeal to target audience, easier to write, etc.).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Interesting point. Posters critical of the game claim the opposite ('muh SJW teenage drama'), I am more inclined to agree with you. Kids acting outside of what can be realistically expected from them at their age is pretty much a staple of young adult/youth literature/movies/games. The easy answer to this would be that adults can't into teenage and kids minds but there are probably other reasons for that as well (appeal to target audience, easier to write, etc.).

I didn't see anyone complaining about SJWery in this game. In fact SJWs hate it and that is GLORIOUS. Kotaku comments sections are filled with massive butthurt. I would have bought it just for that reason alone. Episode 3 was super problematic apparently.

But yeah some edgelords say the characters are 2 dimensional which is just stupid. Yes they are stereotypical rich bitch/bully/science nerd trying to make sexytime with the cute girl and getting rejected, but they actually have pretty decent backstories for the most part.

And there are actually some choices that affect the game, unlike Telltale games where you PRESS X TO SAVE DUDE 1 OR PRESS Y TO SAVE DUDE 2, and then everyone fucking dies at the end anyway and you're left alone crying and wandering the zombiefields. If everyone dies at the end of this game, don't tell me, I'm still only up to Episode 4. Also episodes are much longer than Telltale games, especially 4.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I didn't see anyone complaining about SJWery in this game. In fact SJWs hate it and that is GLORIOUS.

They call it Life is Tumblr and say it has a progressive agenda, mostly because of lesbian undertones (and feminist, I guess).

Why did the SJW's hate Ep3?

I don't get why the school kids keep calling Max a feminazi. It makes zero sense since she doesn't do or say any feminist things. And neither do any of the other characters.

Lesbian undertones, sure, but I think they're WAY more between Chloe and Rachel than Chloe and Max.

The SJtards hate episode 3 because
OMG she looks shocked when the "new" Chloe comes to the door.
In that situation, what other reaction could you possibly have apart from utter fucking horror?

Good example: (Trigger warning, link may cause AIDS, asscancer and cooties)

http://kotaku.com/life-is-strange-episode-3-ended-on-one-hell-of-a-cliffh-1706950499

Lemming42

Arcane
To be fair, if you open the replies, everyone else is reacting with confusion to the insane original comment.

Never been sure why people call this Life is Tumblr, but I was never clear on why Undertale is Tumblrtale either. Presumably anything can be labelled a tumblr game without much of a reason behind it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
No they aren't. Read further down, there are hundreds of comments. Each more inane than the last.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My question is why would an adult heterosexual male play this game? Since it seems tons of you on the 'dex have done it maybe you all could provide some illumination?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Because it's gud storyfagging. Stop being such an edgelord. Play the actual game and THEN maybe people will take your opinion more seriously vs just saying "it's 4 kidz and lesbians lel"

Provided you get it for like $5 like i did. I Definitely wouldn't pay full price for a somewhat interactive movie. It basically starts off as Twin Peaks and then moves into Donnie Darko near the end.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
OK then again:

It's an interesting story, with p. good character development, actually UNEXPECTED plot twists and more choice & consequence than any recent Telltale or Bioware game. Which still isn't much but there you go. Things you do right in the beginning of the game affect the last episode sometimes for example. If there was ever an emoshunul engagement narrative whatever, this is it. You keep wanting to play further in the story to see what happens, especially from Episode 2 onward.

That might not be everyone's cup of tea, like I said it's basically a Telltale game, but done right. There is no trace of SJWery that I've seen. Quite the contrary, even the bad guys are portrayed as proper characters with their own issues and development, instead of cartoony OMG MISOGYNYZMZ EVUL HITLER which you'd expect if it were targeted at an SJW audience.

Ivan

Arcane
am I the only one who literally burst out laughing at Ep. 3's ending?

not that she deserved it, but I knew that they (the devs) would play that card

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom