Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Liege - Cross-platform Tactical RPG

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
liege-title2.jpg

http://www.codagames.com/liege/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=155744190
Overview
Liege is an upcoming cross-platform, party-based, tactical role-playing game. The game aims to take the classic JRPG formula, and layer in a mature story, elegant, tactical gameplay and unique, hand-drawn visuals.

The Story
One late autumn eve in the Kingdom of Liege, a King, his queen, and their royal heirs fall into a deep slumber from which they never wake. Following their mysterious deaths, a power struggle in the royal court ensues, and as the conflict quickly escalates, the Kingdom plunges into a bloody civil war. As war erupts across the land, we track the converging paths of characters aligned across various factions, from the noble houses vying for the throne, to the orphaned Royal Army, to an underground movement of outlaws with plans to incite revolution amidst the chaos.

Liege is a story that is written for an adult audience. It’s a drama about conflicted, intertwined, and human characters, forced to wage war for their lives and their homeland.

tl;dr: War epic for grown folk. Think more Game of Thrones, less Final Fantasy XIII- in RPG form!

The Tactics
Battles in Liege are tactical and turn-based, and they emerge seamlessly as you wander through the realm. There are no jarring transitions that pull you out of the story and into some random battle arena floating in oblivion. Your heroes simply draw their weapons where they’re standing, and the fight begins.

The gameplay focuses on strategic placement of units and movement, and is inspired by games like FF Tactics, Fire Emblem, and chess. At the core of the gameplay is a system of unit classes and banners. Each class has special perks and characteristics, which are designed to interact in interesting ways; for example, you can arrange your pikemen into a phalanx with strong directional defense to defend rear archers, but certain Knight classes are well suited to break this formation. Banners add further depth by granting stat bonuses to favored classes.

The game emphasizes spatial elements over leveling and equipment, so you won’t be able to grind until your party is effectively invincible. Your units will always be vulnerable; in fact, a single direct strike to an undefended unit will often prove fatal. Unused actions during your turn will determine your unit’s defensive ability during enemy turns. As a result, you will always need to balance evasion and defense, with well-timed, coordinated offense to survive.

Combat in Liege is meant to deliver elegant, accessible, and deterministic mechanics that reward skill over blind chance. It aims to avoid the arbitrary complexity common to games in the genre, while retaining the depth and challenge that draws us to it in the first place.

tl;dr: Pop chess, played in a seamless narrative context!

The Art
One of the earliest goals with Liege was to create a game with an instantly recognizable, signature visual identity. Although the game was inspired by RPG classics from a bygone era, the game doesn’t settle with a retro style that attempts to imitate their look and feel. Instead, it leverages the latest available technology to create something that feels like a natural extension of the style pioneered during that period.

In addition to the visuals, the audio is a key part of the game’s art direction. Again, instead of attempting to emulate 16-bit classics, Liege will take full advantage of modern hardware to deliver an epic, orchestral soundtrack with a lush, organic sound.

tl;dr: Audio-visual magic, re-imagined from 16-bit RPG classics!

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Looks good to me. Didn't talk about C&C though, hope there's enough of it.

Indranys

Savant
War epic for grown folk. Think more Game of Thrones THE BLACK COMPANY, less Final Fantasy XIII- in RPG form!
Please man, merc bros stories are much better than any courtly drama and degenerate royalties.

Combat in Liege is meant to deliver elegant, accessible, and deterministic mechanics that reward skill over blind chance.
Damn, a worrying word indeed. Every Jap SRPG is accesible enough, why should they emphasize it?? Redundant statement, or a clear sign for a dumbdown design??

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Someone else appreciates The Black Company? :love:

Yes, the early ones. After a while it became victim of its own success, beginning to drag things along and feeling slightly complacent and lazy.

Indranys

Savant
Someone else appreciates The Black Company? :love:
Of course Bro.
And you get my first brofist ever. :salute:

Yes, the early ones. After a while it became victim of its own success and began to drag things along and feel way too complacent.
Heheh...
I was pretty butthurt when Croaker spared the Lady. :mad:
He should have rape her and kill her or at least gave her some tasteful tortures or something!!11
After that the story is starting to get a bit off IMO.
But I do like the ending man. Not that great but it surprisingly hopeful and heartwarming in a good way. :oops:

Drowed

Arcane
It *does* seems linear, and a bit simple, but I kinda like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem series. So, I guess it could be a little fun game.

Will keep a eye on it.

Perkel

Arcane
indifferent.

Would love to see another Tactics Ogre but chance of legitimate proper tactical rpg with actual proper mature story with hard choices in JRPG is like looking for vegetarian lion in zimbabwe.

AMG

Arbiter
Kingdom of Liege? These fantasy land names get more and more retarded.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
The land name is clearly setting up some classic dialogue.

King: Defend my kingdom.
Knight: Yes, my liege.
King: Liege is mine, you defend Liege.
Knight: I defend you?
King: You defend Liege, I am defended by the guard.
Knight: Who?
King: First base.

etc.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I
It *does* seems linear, and a bit simple, but I kinda like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem series. So, I guess it could be a little fun game.

Will keep a eye on it.

Same here. I will probably try this game eventually.

Mustawd

"new" seems a bit of a stretch. 90% of the trailer was just recycled footage from their last tutorial video.

Anyhow, it has piqued my interest (like anything turn based really). The movement grid and aesthetics reminds me of some of the iOs tactical games out there.

Especially Tactics Maiden:

matt-battle-maiden_0822.jpg

Compare that to Liege:

planning.png

Don't get me wrong. I liked TM enough for a mobile game. This might be interesting. Wonder what the price point will be...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom