Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lichdom: Battlemage, PC-exclusive "first person spellcaster" - Released

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks like a Dark Messiah style first-person action thing, only with archery and swords removed. I could be interested, assuming it's good and not that linear.

I wonder how good Dark Messiah is as a pure mage. I should look into that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Auto aim is a fucking feature now? Even if ther excuse is that they want to concentrate on the character skill instead of the player skill, you see that developers are clueless idiots when they do that kind of bullshit without taking in consideration that on First Person, this kind of bullshit would look terrible. They want to make a wow/skyrim hibrid with generic graphics and even less options, I'm really impressed...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Graphics whore update: http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews...-global-illumination-pc-options-tessellation/

DSOGaming: What made you create Lichdom as a PC exclusive title instead of a multi-platform one and what were the reasons for choosing the PC platform over a next-gen console?

Michael McMain: Many independent studios struggle with maintaining control of the project during its lifecycle. A big reason for this is the market pressures that can come from premature relationships. Xaviant is lucky in that we don’t need a third party to complete the funding of this game or the next one. Maintaining visionary control allows us to focus on what we believe will make a great game without being constrained by someone else’s vision.

A good example of this is multi-player. We get asked a lot about it. Now believe me, I would love to have multiplayer in our game. However everything comes at a cost. We have a finite set of resources that we are managing well to deliver on a vision. Getting Multiplayer working would mean another part of the game would be diminished and there was simply nothing I wanted to give-up from the experience we have constructed.

The beauty is, a PC only release allows Xaviant to “put their money where their mouth is”. Did we make a great game? This release will tell us. If we did then we will see it on console and may even see new features like multiplayer support. But for now a PC release is good for us. It keeps us focused with a single finish-line in sight.

ColCol

Arcane
No multiplayer, I find that strange since it seems like a typical kill-loot game, games that are normally popular for their multiplayer.

Athelas

Arcane
'Lichdom: Battlemage' sounds really awkward. Like they just opened up a D&D sourcebook and threw together the first few random words they saw.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I came into this thread hoping for a game where you play a lich and have dominion over a kingdom, or something. Instead it's a wannabe Hexen with auto-aim.

You know what, someone needs to make a game where you play a lich and have dominion over a kingdom or something, because that actually sounds fun.

Divinity: Original Sin
I aways imagine that a spiritual successor for the thief games would be a game that would litterally take an RPG class and make you a badass master in that class, but without being possible to be good in any other skill from other classes. like in thief youre a master thief and a shitty fighter, I thought about how would LGS would make with a game called Mage. Maybe eric brosius early project with guitar hero series was for a game called Bard: the score project.

But while thief was a master piece, I aways fail to imagine how a gameplay of a pure class kind of game would actually work without being boring or without deviating too much from its premise. This game looks like that Idea being put to the test, but since we're in the modern ages, and the fact that I can't actually trust this kind of gameplay with over-powered skills, I'm very skeptical... but I'll wait and see.

Azazel

Arbiter
I aways imagine that a spiritual successor for the thief games would be a game that would litterally take an RPG class and make you a badass master in that class, but without being possible to be good in any other skill from other classes. like in thief youre a master thief and a shitty fighter, I thought about how would LGS would make with a game called Mage. Maybe eric brosius early project with guitar hero series was for a game called Bard: the score project.

But while thief was a master piece, I aways fail to imagine how a gameplay of a pure class kind of game would actually work without being boring or without deviating too much from its premise. This game looks like that Idea being put to the test, but since we're in the modern ages, and the fact that I can't actually trust this kind of gameplay with over-powered skills, I'm very skeptical... but I'll wait and see.

The single greatest disappointment about Assassins Creed, right there on top of the shit pile that is the series overall, is the fact that it wasn't a Thief-style immersive sim about being a goddamned Assassin during the renaissance. If we ever get an open and modernized Dark Engine, I really hope somebody tries their hand at making something along those lines. Dishonoured came close, blew it with the linearity and enforced story objectives from the outset.

The single greatest disappointment about Assassins Creed, right there on top of the shit pile that is the series overall, is the fact that it wasn't a Thief-style immersive sim about being a goddamned Assassin during the renaissance. If we ever get an open and modernized Dark Engine, I really hope somebody tries their hand at making something along those lines. Dishonoured came close, blew it with the linearity and enforced story objectives from the outset.

I remember the first time I heard about assassin's creed was in a TTLG thread.

Somebody here mentioned that it would be cool to have Dishonored FMs... But In Dishonored FMs, fans would eventually make missions with objectives that takes away the powers, and that would just become a Thief game.

Anyway, this lichdom game looks like an action game, in the vein of serious sam. There should be slow paced segments, in which you use magic to solve puzzles, make rituals, etc. Things a mage would actually do.

[...]This game looks like that Idea being put to the test, but since we're in the modern ages, and the fact that I can't actually trust this kind of gameplay with over-powered skills, I'm very skeptical... but I'll wait and see.

I'm okay with that part, it's more common nowadays for mages to be underpowered compared to how the game describes them (so they don't overshadow the fighters. Dragon Age is actually one of the few that come to mind where mages are all around superior). This shouldn't be a worry in a game where you can only play as the mage.

[...]This game looks like that Idea being put to the test, but since we're in the modern ages, and the fact that I can't actually trust this kind of gameplay with over-powered skills, I'm very skeptical... but I'll wait and see.

I'm okay with that part, it's more common nowadays for mages to be underpowered compared to how the game describes them (so they don't overshadow the fighters. Dragon Age is actually one of the few that come to mind where mages are all around superior). This shouldn't be a worry in a game where you can only play as the mage.

Well, the problem is that probably this game will start with a weak mage that gains experience along the levels, while I think the mage should be the best magician in the universe from the get go (At least in my dreams about a spiritual successor for thief)... But how to make an overpowered and omnipotent wizard interesting to play? how will the gameplay be like? There should be a limit in the system so there can be a challenge. It shouldn't have a mana bar, since you're like a supermage, but the challenge would be in how magic would work, like having ingredients, making rituals (I remember ultima 8), that kind of thing. So, now I stand corrected from my statement about this game putting my idea to the test: my idea is you are a mage and only a mage, but the game is beyond killing beasts with magic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You'll be kicking your monitor if you hoodwink yourself into buying it. Will pick it up in the inevitable indie bundle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom