Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's... Trigger the Chronos. (What if...)

x4nti

Educated
Let's push this onto the third page and force his hand!

dextermorgan

Arcane
Interesting. I've tried this game a few times but never got far. Maybe this will be the kick in the but that will make finally pick it up and actually finish it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Xor said:
I don't think anyone in this thread has said CT is the best JRPG ever. It's my personal favorite, though.

Also bitching about linearity in a jRPG is like complaining that there aren't enough puzzles in FPS games.

Aww man, this is my first JRPG on a SNES emulator. Good times. I think this game made me gain the courage to play Final Fantasy 7 on the PC.

spekkio

Arcane
Chrono Trigger - PST of the jRPGs...

Good but overrated game that everybody played.

But the important thing ATM is:

In before thread starting to suck and OP turning into a faggot.

:troll:

Coyote

Arcane
Page 3; the moment of truth has come.

I always felt that this game is slightly overrated. I like it, but some people treat it like it's the second coming.

That said, I'm still looking forward to this LP (assuming that it makes it past this page). CT's still better than most JRPGs, enough so that I replay every once in a while. Plus, it's a ghostdog LP. Assuming he continues it, that means it'll be good by default.

Erebus

Arcane
We can stop Ghostdog from abandoning this LP on page 3 by quickly bumping it to page 4 !

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I bet he got bored with the LP and just finished the game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sorry guys I would have posted the update yesterday but I was dead tired and blogger was fucked up.

Update coming up shortly.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Ok folks, we're playing Chrono Trigger. Another game that proves that square's best "RPG" games were non-Final Fantasy games:

som.jpg
vs1.jpg
som2.jpg

Now, where were we ?

Marle-ButtBack.gif

Right ! There was some ass-tapping and Crono was eating dirt. Did he blew his chances with the girl ? That remains to be seen.

chapter2.png

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529265.jpg

Mighty fine !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529267.jpg

The pendant is hidden somewhere in this screen. Find it and win a 5 days vacation at the mansion of Lord British where where he'll teach you about the virtue of medieval sexual bondage.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529271.jpg

And now we've come upon the first C&C in the game dear readers ! How we act in certain situations will matter at a later stage.
Will we greedily go for the pendant, or will we check out how the girl is ? Crono is a gentleman :obviously: so he speaks to the girl first :

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529272.jpg

Continuing our gentlemanly campaign, we pick up the pendant and talk to her again...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529277.jpg

MarleFront.gif
Thanks for finding it, Could you give it back ?

CronoFront.gif
Of course, here you go :obviously:

Marle-OutstretchedFront.gif
Thanks ! I came to see the festival. Hey, you're from this town, right ?

CronoFront.gif
Yup.

Marle-NodFront.gif
It's no fun doing it alone, let's wander around together ! That's okay, right ? Right ?

Crono20-20Wink.gif
Hmm, I don't know. Let me check my schedule... Hey, it's your lucky day, I'm free !

Marle_happy.gif
Yaaay, all right !

Whoa, that's one happy gal right there...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529292.jpg
Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529293.jpg

More roleplaying choices appear in our way !

MarleFront.gif
I'm Marle. And you ?

CronoFront.gif
I'm Crono.

Crono ? That's a good name ! Nice to meet you, Crono ! Come on, let's go, quick !

We've become her boytoy. Mission accompliced.
Now, let's bug random people.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529301.jpg
Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529302.jpg

That's ancient history, why it should concern us ? It's a goddamn festival, let's play some games !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529304.jpg
Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529312.jpg

Yay ! we collected one silver point ! Not that we know what we can do with it.
If we try to go to the back of the square we bump on some doormen.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529319.jpg

They must be talking about the preparations for Lucca's invention. We'll come back later. For now, we'll talk to old ladies :

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529324.jpg

OldWoman1Front.gif
Just between us, King Guardia is at a loss with his daughter acting like a tomboy, or so I hear.

Crono-ShakeHeadFront.gif
You don't say.

OldWoman1Front.gif
But I'd like to see just how much of a tomboy that princess is...

It's the second time we hear about the King's daughter, is the game trying to tell us something ?
We move on to bug more bystanders.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529334.jpg

Live happily ever after ? What the hell does that mean ?

Marle-LaughLeft.gif
I'm happy I'm with you like this, Crono !

Huh ? It feels like invisible chains just got wrapped around our Hero. Bah, let's forget this and check out the various vendors.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529343.jpg

Crono-PonderFront.gif
Hmm, I don't really need a sword right now.

MelchiorFront.gif
I live on the eastern continent. Stop by some time.

^
bear.png

MelchiorFront.gif
By the way, the pendant the girl behind you has...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529348.jpg

Wow, that guy sure tries to take advantage of young people, one way or another... This is another C&C moment folks. If we say NO we'll build more credibility for Crono and that's what we'll do.

Hey, what are those four morons doing ?

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529372.jpg

If you haven't noticed, there's a bunch of strange people running around the place like fools. It appears there's a race going on. An old guy stands close by and watches the event. Let's nudge him for some info...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529375.jpg

Since he stands here all day watching the races he must know something... Throw-Down Dina is the green alien tranny. (wait what ? :shock:) Let's bet on her/it !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529380.jpg
Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529381.jpg

Let's follow them and cheer for Throw-down-dina !

CT435.jpg

THROW-DOWN-DINA ! THROW-DOWN-DINA !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529366.jpg

THROW-DOWN-DINA ! THROW-DOWN-DINA !

CT402.jpg

THROW-D... ... ...

Man3Front.gif
Last round's winner... Sweet Cat !

:(

DAMN the old man and his sure bets ! We lost ! Thankfully betting is free, since all you can win are silver points.
Maybe we should use the real money we have, to buy our girlfriend some new clothes :

CT403.jpg

Women...

Now that we've pleased Marle let's go and do some manly things. Like take part in a BEER DRINKING CONTEST !

CT404.jpg

It's the button of awesome !

Man6-Drink.gif
Ready... GO !!

Crono-Drink.gif

CT405.jpg

Wow, that guy just doesn't stop !

CT406.jpg

FUCK YEAH !

CT407.jpg

Marle-LaughLeft.gif
You give your all no matter what you're doing, don't you, Crono ?

That's right ! and if we have a turbo-emulated gamepad, all the better !
Now it's time show the world that apart from being able to drink humongous amounts of beer we also help little girls in distress :

CT408.jpg

She lost her cat ? Leave it to Crono !

CT409.jpg
CT410.jpg

That furry beast must be the one, let's get it back...

CT411.jpg

Girl4Front.gif
Thanks for bringing me back my kitty !

Crono-HalfClosedFront.gif
No prob... :hick:

You're so sweet, Crono !

We've made two girls happy with one move, we're on FIRE ! Let's go dancing !

dance.gif

Maaan, we're so fucking drunk... we must put something solid in our belly.

CT414.jpg

A-ha ! something to eat. Let's steal his lunch !

CT412.jpg
CT413.jpg

That, we are ! So what's left ? Oh yeah, how about fighting with a bipedal robot ? (Say what ?)

CT415.jpg

CT416.jpg

WTF ? A Mexican bipedal Robot Rapper ? We must still be drunk.
Oh well, don't let anyone tell you that drinking and combat don't mix.

CT417.jpg

Spekkio said:

Psycho_11.jpg
One of the best parts of Chrono Trigger is the combat system. What makes it so good are the various "techniques" you can use and the way you use them. Right now we don't have any techniques yet, though.

CT418.jpg

Psycho_11.jpg
Combat is real time but you must wait for your action bar to fill in order to make your move. How quickly the action bar fills depends on your speed. Time pauses only if you go to the techniques menu, but there's an option in the settings to never pause the time, if you want. As I said, what makes combat fun and gives it a tactical aspect, is the techniques, but we'll back on that later.

CT419.jpg
CT420.jpg

Psycho_11.jpg
Tech points help you acquire techniques. As soon as you've gathered enough points you can start using a technique. When you level up you get access to more techniques and your stats rise. You can also increase your stats by using various boosters you'll find along the way.

As a reward for winning we get to listen to more robo-rap.

CT421.jpg

Crono took some beating. so we must find some way to replenish our health. Hey, it seems that the old-man's "mommy" brought him more lunch. Heheheheh...

CT422.jpg

So far we've been gathering silver points like crazy, what can you do with them you ask ? Well, first of all we can exchange them for actual money...

CT423.jpg

Or we can use them here...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529543.jpg

Wait, what ?

fansub.jpg

Oh well, I told you this translation has weak points. But nothing will stop us from testing our courage !

CT424.jpg

Let me tell you, this festival is surreal.

NorsteinBekklar.gif
Silver point card. How much will you pay ?

Depending on how much silver points we pay, we can chose between 3 different challenges. The first minigame is "find the tin-head".

CT425.jpg

Soldier1Front.gif
I'm wedge.

Soldier1Front.gif
I'm Piette.

We get past the FF references and...

NorsteinBekklar.gif
Where's Piette ?

Here :obviously:

CT426.jpg

And our reward is a...

CT427.jpg

Apart from being sickeningly cute (or butt-ugly) it can also be used to change the music in your room. Go figure. Next we decide to pay 40 points and start the second challenge.

CT428.jpg
CT429.jpg

WTF ? Our clone ? Who the hell cloned us and why ?

CT430.jpg

sixthday.jpg
BRAARGLUAGLUARHH YOU CLONED THE WRONG MAN !!

This one is the only important minigame, if we complete it successfully we get...

NorsteinBekklar.gif
Magnificently doppled !

CT431.jpg

We get a clone of Crono (more like a marionette actually) , which is seemingly useless for now. Let's go at our place and check it out !

CT432.jpg

CT433.jpg

Crono20-20Wink.gif
:smug:

Marle-DownFront.gif
It's nice to meet you, I'm Marle.

Woman5Front.gif
Huh ? Marle ? Haven't I met you somewhere ? That's funny, I wonder if it's my imagination.

Crono-PonderFront.gif
??

Marle hides behind crono...

CT434.jpg

What's going on here ? Is Marle hiding something from us ? Could it be any more obvious ? Why the hell did we come here anyway ? Why is this chapter so damn long ?

Time to end it.
Next update will be Sensational, I swear.

Bahamut

Arcane
Good job :thumbsup:
I wanted to replay CT on my symbian phone but i cant find a crack to only snes emu version that handles sounds properly,

Care to LP Chrono Cross too?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
WTF. You're playing a different version. That blacksmith is supposed to be Melchior! Or am I remembering it wrongly?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bahamut said:
Good job :thumbsup:
I wanted to replay CT on my symbian phone but i cant find a crack to only snes emu version that handles sounds properly,
I have in my android HTC, it's playable, but combat gets a bit frustrating since the controls aren't the best for such a game. So I've decided to stick to turn based games, like Tactics Ogre.

Bahamut said:
Care to LP Chrono Cross too?
Let's see If I manage to finish this LP first.
:M

RK47 said:
WTF. You're playing a different version. That blacksmith is supposed to be Melchior! Or am I remembering it wrongly?
As I said in the first chapter, it's a retranslation. They've changed some of the names back to the jap originals.

lightbane

Arcane
I still say it's :decline: that you don't allow us to name the characters... Although if I recall correctly later on there was a npc that allowed you to change the party members' names.

Another game that proves that square's best "RPG" games were non-Final Fantasy games:
vs1.jpg

Objection!!! Vagrant Story technically is a Final Fantasy game (well, a spin-off game) and even though Chrono Trigger was awesome, Chrono Cross was an absolute piece of shit for having an inane, totally rushed story plus shitting all over its predecessor.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
lightbane said:
Objection!!! Vagrant Story technically is a Final Fantasy game (well, a spin-off game) and even though Chrono Trigger was awesome, Chrono Cross was an absolute piece of shit for having an inane, totally rushed story plus shitting all over its predecessor.

VG is completely different from all FF games and its creator had created Ogre Battle before going to square and making FFtactics which is basically the same as OB apart from having the name FF. Some vague lore connections don't make VG a FF game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom