Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's... Trigger the Chronos. (What if...)

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by ghostdog, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Let's play...

[​IMG]

...One of the favorite games of John Romero and Chris Avellone...

[​IMG]

...One of the best JRPGs ever made...

[​IMG]

...One of the best games Square has developed. Yes, you know the one I'm talking about...

[​IMG]

CODEX: :rage:

[​IMG] : ...:troll:

Wait, don't invoke multi-headed dicks yet ! I was actually talking about...

[​IMG]

:yeah:

Let's Start ! I choose to roleplay a guy named Crono. My weapon is choice.

[​IMG]

The seagulls are squealing over a peaceful town that resides by the shore...

[​IMG]

Balloons and fireworks fly from that area in the north part of town.

[​IMG]

Some kind of celebration ?

[​IMG]

Who's calling ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ...ZZzzzZz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] You were so exited about today that you didn't get to sleep last night, did you ?

[​IMG] ...zzz

[​IMG] Well, it's the Millennial Fair, so that's only natural, but... Don't get caught up in the moment and party too much !

Eventually we manage to stumble out of bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :YAWWWWN:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YO, bros and broettes, welcome to this new LP that's gonna be abandoned on page 3 !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Racofer sure is jealous about my mad photophop skills.
    We get downstairs. Our mum is waiting to bust our balls some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my roleplaying orgasm I decide to name her... LUCCA !

[​IMG]

[​IMG] That's right, Lucca ! You're going to see Lucca's invention, right ? Make sure not to be too late.

[​IMG] ...

[​IMG]Well, I'll see you later.

As you can see Crono is the usual mute JRPG protagonist, and at most he gets to say YES or NO at certain situations. So I'm gonna annoy you all and make him talk. Occasionally.

For now let's do what all good kids do. Ask for money.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Whoa, that's one nice allowance ! Booze and women await us at the Millennial Fair. But first let's have a look at the rest of the village.

[​IMG]

We'll enter random houses and probe random people with our silent probing gaze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] But how can he rule a Kingdom when he can't even control his own daughter ?

[​IMG] And what of his daughter, oh blond villager milf ?

[​IMG] They say she's an incredible tomboy. I wonder if she isn't making a big fuss in the castle like "I wanna go to the festival too !"

Updated my princess.txt. Time to head for the inn and warm up for the upcoming festivities...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What a bitch ! Let's ignore her and talk to that strapping young lad by the bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Well get going, then !! You'll have to wait a 1000 years for another Millennial Festival !

[​IMG] 1000 years huh ? It's amazing we even remember what the hell it is we're celebrating...

[​IMG] In Leene Square, north from here, there are all sorts of shops set up. I'm sure all the fun stuff's open by now.

For some reason this guy reminded me of him :

[​IMG]

Anyway, why don't we speak to the piano girl ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Whoa ! Sure, babe, anything you want ! ;)

[​IMG] Thanks, I'll play you a song to show my gratitude.

Gratitude is a fickle mistress, so spiky hair will have to settle for a new piano track. Upstairs we get the chance to have more glorious small talk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Huh ? Earthquake ?

[​IMG] I see, such a carefree kid... Well, never mind.

WTF Crono ? We need information, information, INFORMATION !

[​IMG] Ah... the earthquake, yes, I remember now :troll:

[​IMG] There's really been a lot of earthquakes lately. I hope it's not an omen that something bad's going to happen.

One in a thousand years celebration, alarming increase of earthquakes, alcoholic piano girls... the perfect start !
    The only other thing of interest is a strange box we find in the upper room of the inn :

[​IMG]

Of course we want to open it !

[​IMG]

Bugger :(. We'll have to come back to this later. Much later.

If we drop by the Mayor's house we'll see that it's one of those strange Scientology tutorial establishments.

[​IMG]

I'll spare you the grief and jump straight to the mayor himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] What are you talking about, old man ?

[​IMG] "Techniques" are unique abilities that also utilize your weapons. You'll acquire them with discipline. Focus on this daily.

[​IMG] Suure. Now hand over all your money !

[​IMG] Ho,ho,ho. Zealous youngster ! All right, a present from me.

[​IMG]

That's more like it, more booze and women for Crono !
    Time to visit dat damn festival.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow, everyone's partying like crazy. Let's scan the area for pretty lasses.

[​IMG]

• Blond ponytail
    • silk attire
    • unaccompanied.
    Scan Complete. Engaging smooth-approaching sequence.

[​IMG]

:SMACK:

Crono, you clumsy oaf !

[​IMG]

Did Crono just blew his chances ?

[​IMG]

Or did he utilize some strange surprise-buttseks technique ?

[​IMG]

The bell is chiming and she's tapping DAT ASS.

[​IMG]

How will this turn out ?

We'll find out in the next chapter. :troll:
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :love:

Hope this LP fares better than your previous one. :P
    ^ Top  
  3. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
  4. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    lol

:bro:

I dont like Chronos Trigger as much as Chronos Cross but it do have its unique likable qualities. Here's hoping to a roaring success of yours in this endeavour!
    ^ Top  
  5. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    CT is my favorite jRPG ever. It's a game I can play through countless times and not get bored. I still have the SNES cartrage (even though my SNES doesn't work anymore), I have several playthroughs on an emulator (including one where every character is level 99 and most of them have their stats maxed), I have the DS version (beaten it twice), and I've played through the retranslation.

Wait, there's a re-retranslation patch? Guess it's time to play through Chrono Trigger again.
    :yeah:
    ^ Top  
  6. Jaedar Magister Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity
    Chrono trigger is a pretty cool game.
    ^ Top  
  7. Black Arcane

Black
    Crono's fiendish heritage would explain why no one ever talks about his daddy.
    ^ Top  
  8. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Bro, why didn't you let the Codex vote on each and every name?
    ^ Top  
  9. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    MCA
    I think this forum needs to be renamed Weeboo Playground.

That being said I have heard so much about this game before it will be enlightening to see what the fuss is about. Someone be sure to point out when the awesome happens.
    ^ Top  
  10. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    First of all it's CHRONO not CHRONOS :x

Now, it's the exact opposite for me. Chrono Cross did almost everyhting right but the sum of it's parts didn't quite do for me, I got bored along the way, on the other hand , as Xor said, I can play (have played) CT many times without ever getting bored.

2 retranslations actually. The first one is a word to word retranslation that creates sentences no sane man would speak : http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1198/
    And a second one that manages to sound natural for the most part but still has it's shortcomings : http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1258/

I don't like giving fake biowarian choices in an attempt top create more interest for my LP s :rpgcodex:
    Also, No way would I let Crono be named kingcomrade or codex or some other shitty name.
    Also, I'm half-way through the game already.
    ^ Top  
  11. root Arcane

root
    Your LPs were a lot better before you went full otaku.

jus' sayin'

(*sigh* bloodnet...)
    ^ Top  
  12. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    You might have to wait a long time. Like when ghostdog starts another LP.

I've always thought one of the reasons JRPG's are looked down on is that what is usually thrown about as "the best JRPG evar" ranges from OK to horrible. It's like if we actually believed that Oblivion and NWN1 are the best that could ever be done with the CRPG genre. CT isn't a bad game. I happen to dislike the usual JRPG gameplay trappings, but if you like this kind of thing that's not a problem and CT is automatically better than many RPG's (J or otherwise) by not actually requiring any grinding (also, no level scaling!). However, it's just not a great game, and the linearity and forced choices made me feel like a madman in straightjacket at some points.
    Anyway, the best JRPG is Anachronox FFS :decline:

Anyway I don't mean to be hatin', will still follow LP if only because ghostdog can do great stuff with not-so-great material.
    ^ Top  
  13. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I don't think anyone in this thread has said CT is the best JRPG ever. It's my personal favorite, though.

Also bitching about linearity in a jRPG is like complaining that there aren't enough puzzles in FPS games.
    ^ Top  
  14. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    If nothing else, the time-travel gimmicks are nice. Keep it up, O Ethereal Canine!
    ^ Top  
  15. TripJack Hedonist

TripJack
    I dont think i ever actually beat this game. I think i got to the point where all you have to do is go through the portal and kill lavos. But then i went to do one of the endgame sidequests instead and one of them was so long and boring that i ragequit for all eternity.

Good times.
    ^ Top  
  16. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Guys. LP material and best game ever material are two different things. You'll never see me LP Deus EX or PST or fallout or Acanum, because apart from the fact that the content is humongous, I love these games so much that the way I would want to make the LP would make it absolutely undoable by any half-sane human being.

That's why I'm sticking mainly to Adventures action/adventures and now a jrpg. They're doable LP material and have a place for lulz.

Also anachronox is not a JRPG FFS. A semi-retarded combat system doesn't define the jrpg genre and certainly doesn't make that, beyond-awesome game a jrpg.

CT is one of the best jrpg for me, because it's one of the most enjoyable, even if it's not deep or profound or anything. Secret of mana goes in the same category.
    ^ Top  
  17. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    aah nice another ghostdog LP will be sure to follow, heard a lot about this game.
    ^ Top  
  18. Krash Prophet

Krash
    Good choice! :salute: Will follow this closely.
    ^ Top  
  19. Thrombone Educated

Thrombone
  20. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Looking for a good game Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    LPing Chrono Trigger has about as much sense as LPing P:ST - won't show the true quality of the game and gives the weaklings excuse not to play it. And they should.

That said, I wish You good luck. Chrono Trigger isn't an overly long game, so the LP has less chance to end up abandoned. I liked Your Strife LP and would be following this too, if I didn't know the game as well as I do.
    ^ Top  
  21. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    ive played this game enough to not be able to enjoy this LP.
    ^ Top  
  22. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    I saw the title of the thread and it instantly popped into my mind that it'll be you ghostdog doing it.

As for the game itself it is one of very few jRPGs I genuinely like, though I have finished it only once. Maybe the LP will give me the incentive to replay it :)
    ^ Top  
  23. marooned Educated

marooned
    ghostdog, don't stop being so awesome.

Yours truly, marooned.
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Any bets on whether ghostdog will abandon this LP just as he did his last? :smug:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)