Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's trample the Evil in Co8 ToEE; Chapter VIII

How many ability points should the characters be allowed?

• Georgian potato (25)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Classic D&D (30)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Heroic D&D (35)

• Popamole (40)

• kingcomrade

• Total voters

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Table of contents

Now I wish I had more foresight and prepared separate post for that. :roll:

Update I: Prelude: Miłe(?) złego początki.
Update II: Chapter I: No to zaczynamy!
Update III: Chapter II: Lochy i płazy
Update IV: Chapter IV: Koniec
Update V: Chapter IVAlternative: Resurrection Zmartwychwstanie.
Update VI: Chapter V: Po pijaku!
Update VII: Chapter VI: Ostateczne rozwiązanie - Part I
Update VIII: Chapter VIb: Ostateczne rozwiązanie - Part II
Update IX: Chapter VII: Pożegnanie
Update X: Chapter VIII: Przelotna znajomość

preview_6-0.jpg

Yes. Most of you know what's coming. :rpgcodex:

Back in the day Codex graced a LP of fantastic, and to my mind, the best of Troika's games, namely. Temple of Elemental Evil. This LP was made by no one other than famous Pussycat669 (in before: who?), and it was one of the few to actually get completed.

Since that time more noble souls endeavoured to get through the temple's gargantuan mazes, but all in vain - none of the LP managed to get to the ending (or even to the half of the game). This LP shall be different. :rpgcodex:

Also, since that time, a number important modification were realeased all collectively gathered in one package - circle of 8 modpack. To be honest, in spite of what Andhaira was saying, this is definitely one of the best and most ambitious modpacks available to any game. Why? You'll see about that.

For this LP I'll be using the freshest Co8 NC 6.1.0. NC version of the pack. The NC part means - New Content, and I'm telling you there's lots upon lots of it added to the game. Apart of that, it fixes numerous bugs Troika couldn't bother dealing with.

With Co8 NC on board ToEE is the best and most faithful implementation of 3.5 D&D ruleset that has appeared on computer screens.

Now the important part.

Da Rulez!!

28qh4x.jpg

Codex needs volunteers to join the fray! Five characters are, needed, no less. Each volunteer can submit one character. I assume that everyone is more or less familiar with D&D 3 so take into account the following constraints:

portraits_0002_toee-2011-10-20-00-17-18-54-bmp.jpg

We play true neutral alignment party, so your characters can have only the highlighted personalities.

portraits_0004_toee-2011-10-20-00-22-07-21-bmp.jpg

These are races available in ToEE. If you are unsure about their strengths and weaknesses refer to gamebanshee database.

portraits_0006_toee-2011-10-20-00-22-26-65-bmp.jpg

Every class except for paladin is accessible with neutral alignment. Clinky, clicky for detailed info about requirements for each class.

Clerics get to choose their deity and what comes with it Domains granting access to different spells and abilities. For detailed info click here.

Stuff like gender is self-explenatory.

Moreover, there's the issue of stats. Rolling them is not something I fancy so I will assign them manually. The question is how much points do our Codexers start with? 25, 30, 35, or 40? Remember that

portraits_0003_toee-2011-10-20-00-17-27-19-bmp.jpg

we start from 8 for each ability and that you pay two points for 14<scores<=16 and 3 points for 16<score<=18.

Race modifiers may apply here. But who am I talking to? You know the drill. For now, submit the char with stats you voted for. We'll modify that later on, if need be.

Finally, the most crucial thing. Portraits:

I will eventually get to install Infinity Engine games portratis, so feel free to pick any of them.

bg%20pack.jpg

id%20pack.jpg

You can also submit your own image, but it has to be 130px width by 150px height.

Da Rulez, part 2

1. From all the submited candidatures I will select those that can I can assemble a reasonable party with, so no chance for fellowship of 5 bards.
2. I don't play Ironman, as ToEE buttraped me TWICE by corrupting save data. We will save often and in many slots.
3. However, death is permanent There's no ressurection spell for me in this game.
4. Once a character is off to ther better world, another takes her/his place - He/she starts 2 levels lower than the most experienced party member or at level 1.
5. Once your character dies you can submit another one.
6. If you feel like it, you can plan progression of your character throughout the game, by selecting feats and multiclassing him/her.

That would be all. Provided that enough submissions are made this LP starts on Saturday evening Warsaw time. Enjoy.

Edit: The results of the poll:
capture_21102011_013609.jpg

The dark gods hath spoken. 30 points it is!!!

Tomorrow we'll DISCUSS!! your builds, alter them, show for your approval, and buy some starting equipment. Expect the first real update on Saturday.

First victims party:

Anna%20Rexia.jpg
- Anna Rexia; Class: Rogue.
portraits_0003_ja2_steroid_b-tga.jpg
- Clausewitz; Class: Barbarian.
portraits_0001_id_0090_b_female-tga.jpg
- Miss Bee; Class: Druid.
portraits_0000_bg_0150_b_female-tga.jpg
- Aislinn Ni Leanhaun; Class: Sorceress.
portraits_0002_id_0310_b_female-tga.jpg
- Nex; Class: Wizard (Conjurer).

Black Cat

Magister
I want in. Aislinn Ni Leanhaun. Female elven Sorceress, Chaotic Neutral. CHA:18.

I will give you the rest of the numbers, the spells, the feats, and stuffies once you know how many points we will have to make the characters. I vote 40, though. :P

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Name: K. Slips (or whatever you want.)
Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral good
Class: Bard

Stats: (Assuming 25 as a minimum, I guess)
STR: 10
DEX: 12
CON: 10
INT: 12
WIS: 13
CHA: 15

Portrait: The first block of Infinity portraits, fourth row from the top, far right picture.

I'm not too much of a DnDer and don't know what would be an "optimal" build, so depending on how many points you decide on using for stats, you can shuffle them around as you see fit. I guess you can see how I was trying to put them. My only restriction would be a minimum of 10 in each category. Feats and multi-classing are up to you.

Anyway, good luck! :salute:

Mrowak

Arcane
Black Cat said:
I want in. Aislinn Ni Leanhaun. Female elven Sorceress, Chaotic Neutral. CHA:18.

I will give you the rest of the numbers, the spells, the feats, and stuffies once you know how many points we will have to make the characters. I vote 40, though. :P

Ok, so make a character with the option you voted for. We'll modify your build later depending on the results of the poll. Also, portrait (be it your own and from the presented stock) or you will get to play with this one:

customportrait_big.jpg

:P

Nex

Cipher
Name: Nex
Class: Cleric
Alignment: Neutral evil
Diety: Vecna, god of secrets
Domains: Evil, Knowledge, Magic
Stats:
(assuming 30 points[poll results will adjust if needed]):
STR: 14
DEX: 10
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 18
CHA: 8

Portrait: 2nd infinity engine portraits, 5th row down, 3rd across(starting from left)

Background: Nex is a slutty whore who gave up a life as a wealthy merchants daughter to become a cheap working girl at the local brothel at the age of 12 after being raped by a gang of obese stablehands. She lived only for her addiction to orgasms and cared for little else. Eventually, after a show involving a pig, a dozen eggs and a large ferret went horribly wrong her mind went a little funny and she ran naked into the wilds. After a few days she stumbled upon a cell of the Venca cult and after being tortured for several weeks she decided to join them.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Name: Clausewitz
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: CN

Stats (before racial mods, assuming 25 point buy) -
STR 16
CON 16
DEX 13
INT 8
CHA 8
WIS 8

Portrait: Steroid from the JA2 portrait pack :)

Progression
1st: Power Attack
2nd: FTR, Cleave
Continue with Barbarian afterwards, specialize in Falchion.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
1.gif

Serious
25 / 40 (I think this is right)
STR 15 / 17
DEX 12 / 13
CON 14 / 16
INT 14 / 14
WIS 12 / 14
CHA 8

Human Fighter, Chaotic Evil, no diety, greatsword spec

:salute:

The Thin Man

Novice
Anna Rexia
Elf
Female
Chaotic Neutral
Rogue
Pump Dex and Int (unless skills aren't so heavily needed, then just pump whichever you feel is relevant)
Diety: Cyric, if not available Mask
Portrait: third image group, fifth down, three across the red head.

Nex

Cipher
The Thin Man said:
Anna Rexia
Elf
Female
Chaotic Evil
Rogue
Pump Dex and Int

Your portrait is taken by me already.

TripJack

Hedonist
Tripjack

Human Male
Cleric
NG
Fharlanghn - Domains: Luck/Travel

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 18
CHA 10
(Total 30)
(with more points i would add to CON and/or CHA)

iwd2_m17_codex.jpg

I played a char very similar to this in my last PnP planescape game. Travel and luck are really nice as I recall, in pnp at least never tried them in ToEE.

oscar

Arcane
Oscar
Male Half-Elf
Ranger
Worships Ehlonna (or maybe No Deity, but then again you'd have to be pretty stupid to be irreligious in D&D-land)
Portrait: 4th in on the bottom row of the IE ones

Str: 12 (you can use this to boost Dex if you don't plan him to be an actual melee user)
Dex: 15
Con: 12
Int: 8 (ranger spells don't use int right?)
Wis: 14
Chr: 8

I think that adds up..

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Looks like we had the same idea on the same day. Namely : try that new Co8 NC 6.1.0. NC pack with a true neutral party. :lol:

I don't want in (you have your hands full already anyway) but I'll make sure to check your LP. Voted "Classic D&D" btw.

Fight the good fight, maintain the Balance ! : x

Mrowak

Arcane
A couple of things:

Serious_Business said:
1.gif

Serious
25 / 40 (I think this is right)
STR 15 / 17
DEX 12 / 13
CON 14 / 16
INT 14 / 14
WIS 12 / 14
CHA 8

Human Fighter, Chaotic Evil, no diety, greatsword spec

:salute:

All fine and well, but your alignment can be either NE or CHN. O

Also, your stats for 25 build are wrong. I get:

STR 15
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 9
CHA 8

The Thin Man said:
Anna Rexia
Elf
Female
Chaotic Neutral
Rogue
Pump Dex and Int (unless skills aren't so heavily needed, then just pump whichever you feel is relevant)

Good, but its not Faerun but Grayhawk - neither Cyric or Mask exist here. It's not that it should mean anything to you - you won't be a cleric.

I see some of you made 2-3 point errors in your builds. Don't bother with it now, we will clean that up once the poll meets the deadline - which is, I forgot to mention - Friday 1am Warsaw time. Also on Friday, around 8pm we will gather our party and buy it some equipment before venturing forth.
Lastly, WTF is this popamole shit? No love for wizards? :decline:

Nex

Cipher
Mrowak said:
Lastly, WTF is this popamole shit? No love for wizards? :decline:

I was going to go one first as I pretty much always go one, actually put down the stats and all but then decided to change as I figured there would probably be plenty of them done by others.

Can change to one if you want, just swap dex and str, and wisd with int.

edit: there you go:

Nex said:
Name: Nex
Class: Wizard
Stats:
(assuming 30 points[poll results will adjust if needed]):
STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 14
INT: 18
WIS: 8
CHA: 8

Portrait: 2nd infinity engine portraits, 5th row down, 3rd across(starting from left)

Background: Nex is a slutty whore who gave up a life as a wealthy merchants daughter to become a cheap working girl at the local brothel at the age of 12 after being raped by a gang of obese stablehands. She lived only for her addiction to orgasms and cared for little else. Eventually, after a show involving a pig, a dozen eggs and a large ferret went horribly wrong her mind went a little funny and she ran naked into the wilds. After a few days she stumbled upon a cell of the Venca cult and after being tortured for several weeks she decided to join them.

Quilty

Magister
I seem to remember the game being pretty short by the standards of its time, or at least no longer than Icewind Dale. Or maybe I just rushed through it too fast.

Black Cat

Magister
Aislinn Ni Leanhaun

Female, Elf, Sorceress, Chaotic Neutral. (should be evil, but this party isn't cool enough)

Portrait: Something cute, moe-moe, huggable, and with pointy ears. I guess "Whine whine My Wings whine" would be alright. (Aerie's, in case you wondered)

(40 points)

STR: 08
DEX: 16+2
CON: 14-2
INT: 14
WIS: 08
CHA: 18 (all level up points here)

Familiar: Snake.

Bluff: 04.
Concentration: 04.
Spellcraft: 04.
Use Magic Device: 02.

Level 1: Charm Person, Sleep.
Level 2: Eagle's Splendor, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
Level 3: Deep Slumber, Suggestion.
Level 4: Charm Monster, Phantasmal Killer.
Level 5: Mindfog.

Feats: Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration. I don't know, what else? Something that gives her even better chance to charm her enemies into submission or something that goes with the character concept.

She's obviously inspired by the talk we had in the other topic and the discussion going on in that thread, and based around one of my Changeling: The Dreaming characters. Pick the other spells yourself, trying to keep the concept or to better her survivability. I don't know much about this kind of character in D&D so switch some spells around if you want while keeping the idea.

And give her pretty clothes. Without overdoing the sluttyness, please.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wanna be a bee-summoning druid! I never used a druid, hopefully you'll test it out for me. :P

Miss Bee

Portrait: 2nd infinity engine portrait set, 2nd row, 2nd portrait from left

Human Female
Druid 9/Monk 1 (Take 1 lvl in Monk at level 7+.)
Chaotic Neutral

Rely on summons and the animal companion
Barkskin is my friend, as are Cat's Grace and Owl's Wisdom -- they should improve companion's AC, shouldn't they?
Potentially cheesy tactics: three summons + companion <-- cast Animal Growth (target all) => Profit

Feats
1: Spell Focus Conjuration, Augment Summon
3: Craft Wondrous Item
6: Natural Spell
9: Craft Magic Arms and Armor

As for the stats, hmm... something like this, I guess (in case of 30 points in toto):
STR 8
DEX 17
CON 9
INT 8
WIS 18
CHA 8
In case of popamole: DEX 18, CON 14, STR 10

P.S. Don't you dare abandon this!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, skills. Heal (4), Concentration (4), Spellcraft (4), Survival (4)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Gruk the Hellraiser (or just Hellraiser if the whole name is too long)

Neutral Chaotic Male Half-Orc Barbarian

26.gif

18 STR
Dump the rest into Con
If there are spare points because Con costs too much to raise dump them into Dex.

Oh and dump skills points into intimidation and make him specialize in greatswords because that is a truly barbarian way of killing shit.

A truly :incline: way to LP this prestigious game would be to just have us prioritize attributes and roll them once. That way the RNG could screw us over for more drama.

Luigi

Barely Literate
Name: Orgasm
Class: Wizard Necromancer or Rogue, frankly I dont care, just send her into the fray

Stats: Pick em like you want em

Portrait:
20.gif

Mrowak

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Aislinn Ni Leanhaun

Female, Elf, Sorceress, Chaotic Neutral. (should be evil, but this party isn't cool enough)

Portrait: Something cute, moe-moe, huggable, and with pointy ears. I guess "Whine whine My Wings whine" would be alright. (Aerie's, in case you wondered)

(40 points)

CON: 14-2
INT: 14

Use Magic Device: 02.

Level 1: Charm Person, Sleep.
Level 2: Eagle's Splendor, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
Level 3: Deep Slumber, Suggestion.
Level 4: Charm Monster, Phantasmal Killer.

Feats: Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration. I don't know, what else? Something that gives her even better chance to charm her enemies into submission or something that goes with the character concept.

She's obviously inspired by the talk we had in the other topic and the discussion going on in that thread, and based around one of my Changeling: The Dreaming characters. Pick the other spells yourself, trying to keep the concept or to better her survivability. I don't know much about this kind of character in D&D so switch some spells around if you want while keeping the idea.

And give her pretty clothes. Without overdoing the sluttyness, please.

Good build. I see that you are going with crowd control type we've been discussing, I think that it would be far more effective with a wizard, though as they get more feats and can change spells into something different when faced against e.g. undead. Sorceress' strength lies in metamagic feats and her ability to spontaneously convert one spell into another. Enchantment school is almost unaffected by those (except for Heightened and enlarged Spell feats). Also, I would suggest forgetting about spell penetration. You get few feats and have few opportunities. If you go for enchanter let's add adequate spell focus feats. As a sorceress you don't need to bother with Use Magic Devices skill - you'll succeed in doing that automatically.

Crooked Bee said:
I wanna be a bee-summoning druid! I never used a druid, hopefully you'll test it out for me. :P

Miss Bee

Portrait: 2nd infinity engine portrait set, 2nd row, 2nd portrait from left

Human Female
Druid 9/Monk 1 (Take 1 lvl in Monk at level 7+.)
Chaotic Neutral

Rely on summons and the animal companion
Barkskin is my friend, as are Cat's Grace and Owl's Wisdom -- they should improve companion's AC, shouldn't they?
Potentially cheesy tactics: three summons + companion <-- cast Animal Growth (target all) => Profit

Feats
1: Spell Focus Conjuration, Augment Summon
3: Craft Wondrous Item
6: Natural Spell
9: Craft Magic Arms and Armor

As for the stats, hmm... something like this, I guess (in case of 30 points in toto):
STR 8
DEX 17
CON 9
INT 8
WIS 18
CHA 8
In case of popamole: DEX 18, CON 14, STR 10

P.S. Don't you dare abandon this!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, skills. Heal (4), Concentration (4), Spellcraft (4), Survival (4)

Interesting, unorthodox build. [Intelligence/Lore] So you are going to spend most of the time in your natural beast form? There are a few problems here. You must be lawful in order to pick monk class. Apart from that, beside your natural companion you can control only one summon, for a rather short period of time. Finally, I am racking my brain how to squeeze you into the party. It will be awesome to have a dedicated crafter, but surviving first few levels may be hard for you.

Overall, I am thinking where I should put more focus - melee combatants or spell-heavy team. I am more inclined towards the latter, as the magic system is the thing I love the most about D&D 3.5. For that reason, in order to make more room for magicians and get additional fire power I will dual our only rogue into warrior or barbarian. That is assuming we go with popamole stat scores.

Remember that ToEE NC not only removes level cap, but also introduces a couple of nasty spells for higher level spell casters. Naturally, enemies get the same treatment ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yup, you got it right. The bonus to my wild form is why 1 lvl in Monk is needed.

And sorry, the lawful thing completely slipped my mind; so yeah, make me lawful neutral, I guess. I don't care much about alignment anyway.

As for whether or not you could squeeze me into the party... well, it's up to you. ;) You could keep me away from harm for the first couple of levels, I guess, relying on the animal companion and Summon Nature's Ally, stuff like that. Also: Entangle!!
At my 2nd level I'll get Barkskin, Cat's Grace and Owl's Wisdom. Ain't that cool?

In any case, I just wanted to try out something more interesting and unorthodox than the usual drill. If my build doesn't fit into the kind of party you have in mind, just feel free to ignore it, really.

Black Cat

Magister
Mrowak said:
Good build. I see that you are going with crowd control type we've been discussing, I think that it would be far more effective with a wizard, though as they get more feats and can change spells into something different when faced against e.g. undead. Sorceress' strength lies in metamagic feats and her ability to spontaneously convert one spell into another. Enchantment school is almost unaffected by those (except for Heightened and enlarged Spell feats). Also, I would suggest forgetting about spell penetration. You get few feats and have few opportunities. If you go for enchanter let's add adequate spell focus feats. As a sorceress you don't need to bother with Use Magic Devices skill - you'll succeed in doing that automatically.

Indeed. I tried it out in some NWN and NWN2 modules, as well as a party in POR2, and thought it was pretty fun. And it also has that vain sorceress style that appears so much in fairy tales and stuffies so it's kind of a classic archetype and I'm kind of in love with the build now.

I did make her sorceress mostly because I think it goes better with the archetype, though. While I enjoy playing wizards more than sorcerers myself when I tried the control caster concept as a Wizard it did not have the same, uhm, je ne sais quois that made the archetype work, maybe because of the focus on intelligence instead of charisma and the greater spell selection kind of diluting the archetype. Studious girls with glasses do not go around charming orc armies into obedience, so call me a dirty LARPer if you may. :oops:

And I thought the spell penetrations were both for magic resistance and saving throws but it seems I was wrong: I just checked and the one for saving throws were actually the Spell Focus ones, so yeah, switch the feats to Spell Focus: Enchantment and Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment.

I'll switch Phantasmal Killer for Crushing Despair, then, given Phantasmal Killer is a save or die kind of thingie that would not benefit from the Spell Focus at all, so I'm quite sure it will not work when we need it the most.

I also had two points unused given I fail at math and my build was 38 points. So...

CON: 16-2
INT: 12

Level 1: Charm Person, Sleep. Then something like Mage Armor and Shield, I guess. Your pick.
Level 2: Eagle's Splendor, Invisibility, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, and (your pick).
Level 3: Deep Slumber, Suggestion, and (your pick: Heroism, Hold Person, Rage, Displacement).
Level 4: Charm Monster, Crushing Despair.

Feats: Spell Focus Enchantment, Greater spell focus enchantment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom