Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive The Long Dark

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Ulysses 31
Have you tried State of Decay and Miscreated?

There is also a little game currently in early development by Quebec developer, "Kona" that looks like Long Dark's little brother. It plays in 1970 and people speak French which makes it potentially awesome imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZK0VRTGNk

Burning Bridges

84 days, 14 hours

I have reached the goal that I set out for myself, 80 days. As I have survived for such a very long time, found almost everything that I need, I am sometimes thinking what another survivor could have done different.

tld 2014-11-06 12-56-38-62.jpg

I am down to 10 bullets. To conserve ammunition, I don't go for direct kills any longer. I rather observe the wildlife and get what I need through patience.

tld 2014-11-06 14-43-08-20.jpg

Strange how good I have become with flares. 2 months ago I was unable to make any use of flares, and almost got myself killed. But not I manage to get 1 or 2 deer carcasses for free with just a single flare (they burn for a very long time and can be picked up). Flares could become more valuable to me than rifle ammo, being sort of non-lethal, reusable weapons.

tld 2014-11-07 05-15-46-48.jpg

But often my strategy fails and I have to it take out with the wolves. I have killed numerous and the blood in the snow is my own.
I get used to the exquisite burning of antiseptic in my wounds and the adrenaline rush.

tld 2014-11-07 06-48-46-68.jpg

My supply of food eventually allows me to go on expeditions into the mountains. The first attempt to reach the lookout tower it from the East is a failure, there is nothing but cliffs from this side.

I need to turn back, although not empty handed. In a portable home I find a jerry can with almost 4 liters of kerosene!! That is more than I had found on the whole combined map, and I dont have to save lamp fuel as much as I used to. Together with the 2 liters that are still deposited in Trappers 'Homestead I have almost 10 liters.

tld 2014-11-06 11-05-06-56.jpg

In one of the huts I als discover a premium winter coat. With the ridiculous toque I now look like a god damn hipster, but I am sure the wolves don't mind and it is by far the best in terms of warmth. I momentarily get a 15C clothing bonus!

tld 2014-11-07 09-06-01-10.jpg

On my second attempt from the West I get way up the cliffs and can see thar the lookout is not that far away.

I stay on the cliffs and get back onto some sort of a road. Which means there also must be a safe way to get up here, if I just follow the roads.

tld 2014-11-07 09-11-49-68.jpg

I arrive at a lookout tower very much like the one in Mystery Lake.

tld 2014-11-07 09-16-29-10.jpg

It's in total disarray. There isn't too much inside. It looks like some hobo was living in the place, or some criminal.

tld 2014-11-06 10-45-43-20.jpg

But there is another rifle, and it is in almost perfect condition, smelling of Ballistol.
I laugh at my misfortune, now I have 2 rifles for the same meagre amount of ammunition.

But then I realize that I could deposit the rifles in different parts of the map, like Jackrabbit Island or The Camp Office.
I could then go to hunting expedition without carrying a rifle and save 4.00 kg of weight.

tld 2014-11-07 10-36-31-29.jpg

From the tower there is a fantastic view over the lake. If I had binoculars I could look into Misanthrope's Homestead, Jackrabbit Island and Lakefront Cabins from the safety and comfort of my bed.

tld 2014-11-07 10-36-28-09.jpg

I spend a day in the tower. Unfortunately I get food poisoning from eating wolf, and most of the day is spent in agony, defecating and vomiting all over the place.

tld 2014-11-07 10-34-42-12.jpg

There is a nice iron stove. If I could only take that and put it into one of the houses by the lake ..
It would be possible to stay and even live here, but I have not seen any deer. There is also no real storage space, just a five kilo wooden box. It would be very difficult to stay here, although it is certainly interesting.

tld 2014-11-08 09-50-55-68.jpg

After a day and a half in the tower, I take the rifle and some stuff that I found, and head back to my Camp. I only need to follow the roads to get down to the lake. Back in my base. I decide I have enough kerosene to use the lantern more often. I quickly discover a few items that I missed.

tld 2014-11-08 09-49-56-18.jpg

Turns out to be a hunting knife someone put up there. I had not seen it in two weeks, sleeping every night in the room!
Hidden in very dark corners I also discover a can opener in the kitchen and some lantern fuel.

tld%202014-11-06%2015-00-33-68.jpg

But none of the which I really need. Like a few bullets, or a mens magazine.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Literate
If the Wiki is an insight in to future development then Long Dark is going to be an even more amazing game!

I was going to buy State of Decay, however I've only got really limited game time since becoming a Dad a couple of years ago, so stuck with my instinct for Long Dark + the pile of other games I havent even installed yet that are 2 or 3 years old that I'm painfully slowly playing through before buying anything else :( Though I very nearly bought Don't Starve after the free play weekend last month!

Not heard of Miscreated - but has been over a year since I was looking up post apocalyptic survival type games, looks good though.

Did you find that knife on Jackrabbit Island? If so thats the same place I found mine before getting eaten by a wolf.

Ulysses 31

Literate
Found another small hut, nothing great in it sadly but a good stop over point between Train Unloading and the Lookout, marked with a red circle:

Long_dark_map_coast_Highway_revision_1.jpg

Burning Bridges

I noticed that one too, and the fact that it is not on the map. It looked nice and secluded. Although I personally think if you want to live in such a hut, the Fishing Camp is a better choice. It is almost ideally placed for anyone wanting access to both maps, and has very nice interiors.

I found the knife in the house I am calling Roadside House, on the limit of the main town. But the spawn should be possible for all houses of this type.
I'm still happy with the Roadside House. From a pure safety standpoint it is the best I know, and it is also not so dark inside.

Burning Bridges

Forget about Miscreated then - it is still too early in development and probably never gets finished. If I had to make a choice between State of Decay and TLD, I would go for the latter.

Ulysses 31

Literate
I noticed that one too, and the fact that it is not on the map. It looked nice and secluded. Although I personally think if you want to live in such a hut, the Fishing Camp is a better choice. It is almost ideally placed for anyone wanting access to both maps, and has very nice interiors.

I found the knife in the house I am calling Roadside House, on the limit of the main town. But the spawn should be possible for all houses of this type.
I'm still happy with the Roadside House. From a pure safety standpoint it is the best I know, and it is also not so dark inside.

Yea definitely more of a safe house if caught out between places when travelling, not much in the way of wild life there either. I've found Roadside House now after a little expedition in the mountains (wher eI found a rifle same place as you, shame I cant wield it like a bat), looks like th ehouse was built by the same chaps who built the one on Misenthorpe's ... or was it Jackrabbit, Dont remember much pre-getting-mauled-to-death-by-a-wolf, but I remember the knife was in the exact same position on a chest of draws - where ever I found it!

Forget about Miscreated then - it is still too early in development and probably never gets finished. If I had to make a choice between State of Decay and TLD, I would go for the latter.

Will keep an eye on on Miscreated, for now I've invested in TLD and an very pleased I did.

One thing I also liked about Don't Starve was having to keep Sanity in check, I wonder if something similar might appear in TLD in the future? Tiredness, fatigue, dehydration, food poisoning, etc could all influence sanity or mental condition, as could being warm, healthy and well fed, finding reserves or catching food.

Do you know if killing a wolves in an area keeps them away for long?

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

No, killing wolves does not keep the away for very long (it does for a short time). The whole respawn thing is rather primitive.

I have read nothing from the devs about morale issues, though people are of course discussing it in the forum.

Burning Bridges

I am currently wondering if I should start a new game, or what I could do next.

The first map had ca 1-2 (ingame) weeks original gameplay. Then the aim became to see how long I could survive with the limited resources, and that made the game quite challenging until the next map came out.
When that happened, it added another 1-2 weeks but also destroyed the challenge to survive on absolutely minimal, non renewable resources (I already expected this and posted it before).

I now reached a point where I got virtually everything. Weapons, tools, ammo, clothes. I could just pretend to live in a house, kill a deer every two days and survive for another year.

What should I do? Wait for the next content update?

you could choose a difficult home. say you have to survive on the watchtower. you could still go to the other houses, but ignore their house properties, just think of them as large containers.

Burning Bridges

The watchtower would be boring I'm afraid.

I could of course live in the gas station and fight the wolves on a daily basis, until they get me.

Are there still places you haven't visited ? Either too dangerous or seemingly pointless ? Surely the second map has a hidden hatch somewhere also ?

Burning Bridges

There are still quite a few houses, I don't go into every house right away.
But I don't need anything, except ammo.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I also bought the game because of this LP. I've been pretty wary of all these open world survival type games, honestly all of them look like shoddy crap, but this one has really struck a cord with me. There's nice sense of restraint to it, each piece is considered.

First time playing I only lasted about a day and a half...was freezing to death and got mauled by a wolf within sight of a house.

Burning Bridges

Cool. I wouldn't mind if you guys tell some of your stories and we discuss the game. Currently I am in retirement, not sure when the LP is going to continue.

I also think we could discuss feature ideas. The official forum turns out to be rather difficult for me, because there is a large number of young and quite stupid people, coming directly from popamole games.
If we as the codex could work towards some good suggestions and a review, it would certainly not harm.

Burning Bridges

How will you end it? I think I will take all my painkillers at once. Or I will drink kerosene and then light a cigarette.

Burning Bridges

Wait, I remember that when you make a wood fire in a completely closed room, that you die of carbon monoxide poisoning and it's totally painless
It's called charcoal suicide and for example very popular in Japan. I think I can use cedar wood for that.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A great game, but it gets a little boring after two weeks. I've managed to last for 26 days, explored most of the map, crafted some clothes and it seems there is nothing to do now, except killing wolves with bare hands for some fun. Can't wait for the full campaign.

Burning Bridges

everest-7-1.jpg

85 days

It was not that anything extraordinary happened. But during the last days I reached a point where the outlook about my future life has become too negative, and where I have become tired of my existence (or rather what has become of it after the geomeagnetic event) on a very profound, philosophical level.
Don't worry about me, I will not leave this world heart broken. I just realized that wether I keep fighting or not makes no difference. Tonight I will end it so I finally have peace.

I have conserved some valuable supplies and stored them, together with the most important notes. Hopefully another survivor will come across my provisions and find them useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom