Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive The Long Dark

agreed. You need the weapon. Leave as much as you can here as extra provisions for when you come back with it. The old base has no resources around it anymore so no reason to stay there.

Also don't let the new environment excite you too much. This place will be every bit as deadly as the first area.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
@gostdog, wsis Thanks for the tips! would defintely brofist if I could.

And I think you really have a point. It would be pointless to collect stuff in the new map and carry it to the other side of the world. Getting from my current location at Lakeside Cabins to Trappers Homestead is at least a days march, and another back. But probably I will get sick on the way, attacked by wolves or caught by a blizzard, so it will likely be 3 or 4 days.

I am also not sure how much I could carry anyway. I need to have clothes, food and water, first aid, a knife and can opener and some basic fire making stuff. I think I can easily bring the basics down to 15 kg, and would be more than happy if I could make 12 kg. My absolute carry limit is 30kg but that will wear me out quickly, 20-25kg is more realistic. So you see, there is no more than ca 10kg that I can effectively carry, for 2-4 days of effort.

I need to realize that I'm really not able to carry stuff back and forth around the map. And that I can neither hope to carry my equipment in one or the other direction. The rifle + ammunition weighs over 5 kilogram. Then there is also a lamp + kerosene (another 5kg). Add to the stockpile of material: 15 kg kilo scrap metal, 10 kilo clothes, 10 kilo wood, and 10 kg of other things. Food: at least 10kg, 15 liter water .. etc
To carry all over I would need weeks, and that would be a considerable investment in terms of resources.

Instead I could become some sort of nomad for some time and roam back to Trapper's Homestead, without care for any long term preparations. There is enough food, there is also a lot that I left in various places, there is the huge cache at Trappers Homestead, there are carcasses, there are rabbit snares etc. It means I really don't need to work hard for food.

And you are absolutely right, I need the rifle. It made sense to leave it behind, but now I need it. I should simply leave everything behind where I am, travel light, wander to the Trapppe'rs Homestead at least 1 more time.
Then get the rifle and everything I can, move the other way towards a more permanent place around the highway.

Regvard

Arcane
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but will this game have mod/tweak support? It feels like I'd have to mess around with those decay rates. Also any plans to add NPCs you can team up with etc?

Burning Bridges

There is really no need for that, they are still in alpha and are using it for testing the systems.
It would be totally premature if everyone changes their own variables while whole features are subject to change.
Decay rate has been changed by the latest patch, by the way, and isn't so bad.

NPC, are confirmed yes, and a real storymode too.

Starwars

Arcane
This is a great LP. I actually ended up buying the game on the sale, though I will probably hold off on playing it for now. Is there any sort of release window set for the final release or is it a "when it's done" type of deal?

Burning Bridges

Great that you support it ;)
No, there is nothing known as to a release date. I'll keep you updated.
But those guys are working really hard and did not take long for the alpha (a few months after kickstarter), 2nd area (6 weeks), and gameplay quickfixes are there within 12-24h, I often skip several version numbers when I dont play for 2 days

It's absolutely fun if you are the sandbox type, and you can still talk to them directly. Little is known about the story mode but who knows, they may keep up the awesomenesss and create a classic.

Burning Bridges

62 days 2 hours

tld 2014-11-02 09-17-34-03.jpg

Next morning I went to see if the wolf was still there, luckily he was gone.

I decided that I will set up my base here. At least until I find something else. The house looks quite ok and is rather spacious inside.

tld 2014-11-01 07-36-37-31.jpg

I don't need to make a fire. There is enough water to drink in the toilets.

I also found some useful items, a pair of mittens and lots of cloth.
A wool long underwear in terrible condition (25%), full of piss and feces.
But if I wash it a little in the toilet, and repair it with some cloth, it will give me a nice warmth bonus.

tld 2014-11-02 09-40-51-93.jpg

To make the trip as fast as possible, I need to travel light and leave everything behind that I can.
Finally I manage to strip my weight down to 13 kg.

tld 2014-11-02 09-41-34-95.jpg

So this is my new base, Lakefront Cabins. There is not one, but three houses. I will have a small village for me.

None of the houses has everything I need. There is a fireplace in one, a first aid kit in another.
Plenty of storage space, and at least one corpse that could be used to store meat.

But there is no workbench in either of them.

From here I could get to the rabbit island over the lake, even spend the night there if I want.
The house on the other island opposite also interests me, but seem to be guarded by wolves.

I also walk a few minutes in the other direction, but the ice begins to thin and make a frightening noise.
At least I will know that to commit suicide I need not save bullets. I will just get drunk and walk over the lake.

tld 2014-11-02 09-42-50-81.jpg

So I set out, simply following the highway. To the right are huge cliffs.

My plan is to follow the highway for a while and then, when the cliffs end, turn right into the mountains

tld 2014-11-02 09-46-30-78.jpg

The road leads to some sort of town with half a dozen buildings.

tld 2014-11-02 09-46-47-26.jpg

This is infested with wolfes so I quickly pass around. No use to head into a wolflair without a little bit of firepower.

tld 2014-11-02 09-47-25-50.jpg

The temperature is forgiving, and I discover a few new places along the road. This house would also make nice base. but it does not seem to have a fireplace, I can tell this from the lack of a chimney.

tld 2014-11-02 09-51-39-90.jpg

The road turns into a sort of serpentine track, and I see another group of huts in the distance.
But when I wander further in that direction at one point a wolf blocks the road. I turn around.

tld 2014-11-02 09-56-28-60.jpg

Eventually I am forced to climb downb the mountains again, and end up at the coastal highway.

tld 2014-11-02 09-57-14-59.jpg

I come across several corpses and 2 of them contain single rifle rounds.

tld 2014-11-02 10-00-10-96.jpg

I wasted many hours by the detour into the mountains, my fatigue is getting red and I need to rest in one of the huts on the lake. Ironically you can almost see the Lakefront Cabins - the point where I started from - on the horizon.

tld 2014-11-02 10-02-25-95.jpg

There are 2 locked containers inside, but I dont have a prybar. I mark the place in the map and need to come back later.

tld 2014-11-02 10-07-02-03.jpg

Next morning when I open the door, I hear a weird sound and see a wolf fleeing from me!
I like to think that my presence in this area has been noted by the wolves and that they are now telling countless tales of a famous two-legged man, that kills careless wolves and eats them!

tld 2014-11-02 10-15-12-29.jpg

From here on I already know the terrain. I reach Rabbit Cove in a little over an hour.

The snare I left two days ago has caught a rabbit!
Now I am not sure what to do with it. I cannot cook it and if I learned something in the last months, it is to never eat raw meat.
It also makes little sense to carry it with me, because I have enough food in Trapper's.
The carcass is frozen so harvesting the meat will also take an hour and reduce my condition.

But if I leave it until I come back in 2,3 days it will probably be nothing left ...

tld 2014-11-02 10-30-51-00.jpg

I go to the hut and deposit some stuff that I don't need for the last leg of my journey. 2 rifle rounds I found, can opener, sewing kit etc

I also rest for an hour to get warm.

tld 2014-11-02 10-19-44-34.jpg

I head out to but now a wolf has entered the scene, taking the decision for me.

I will leave the rabbit.
Not very clever if I risk my skin for a little bit of bunny meat, with half a days march ahead of me.

tld 2014-11-02 10-57-50-29.jpg

The weather has gotten colder and I need to get over the railway bridge.
Cold deteriorates quicker than I thought it would.

tld 2014-11-02 11-00-00-45.jpg

On the other side, near Hydro Dam I come across 2 wolves that try to attack me, and I am forced to outrun them.
Since I carry little weight it turns out to be doable. But this seems to be the most dangerous part of the journey, and I need to be careful when I come back with a full load of gear.

tld 2014-11-02 11-06-49-96.jpg

By mid day I am well on my way and reach the Lone Cabin. Interestingly, there are a lot of rabbits here, but no wolves.
This would make an an excellent place to hunt.

tld 2014-11-02 11-09-53-54.jpg

The rabbit snare has caught nothing, but perhaps it is better because I can take the snare with me.

tld 2014-11-02 11-10-50-21.jpg

I take all gear from my first depot, and carry it to the house. I will now make an assessment of what I have and what I can take with me.

tld 2014-11-02 11-16-43-95.jpg

I arrive at day 63, early afternoon. The food I left in the rucksack turns out in excellent condition. Cooked venison is still at 92%, and I still have 8 kilo. There is also a large amount of canned food, and cloth.

I now have a lot of time to prepare the next part of my journey. Get the rifle, ammo, lamp, etc, make as many repairs as I can.
Sleep a night or two. Then take everything I can and dump everything else under the snow. I already know there will be a lot of material that I need to leave behind, but it is not such a big deal. The water? Well screw the water. I can drink from toilets when I am back. I can always come back if I need more. I can afford to leave the rest here.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Yesterday I drank a whole bottle of antiseptic and feel a little tipsy

I have the whole day to get everything into order and can afford to gorge myself with food.

I realized it will be much cheaper to do all possible repairs instead of carrying metal / firwood.

I will repair two hunting knifes, the rifle and all ammunition and medicine. I will also take 1 storm lantern (important).
I can afford to also take my cloth (17), the bedroll, a snare and a bit of gut.

I will leave behind all my heavy material: wood, metal, water, newspapers, toolkit, accelerant, all things that are either too heavy or not really scarce.

I also leave a 5kg depot with some stuff in excellent condition, 2 bottles of antiseptic (heavy) and some bandages, matches, grape sodas that have an expiry date of 2089,at least 2 day's food (durable), some tools and clothing that is too good to shred.
Ca 2 liter kerosene remain in the Homestead, I once tried to drink the stuff but it's too toxic.

Not to forget there is still some stuff left in this map in a few other places, there is food for 1-2 days in the Prepper's Cache, a little in the Lookout and the Logging Camp, and 5 completely unlooted cabins at Mysterious Lake.

In the end I will be able to travel with ca 25 kilo weight, which isn't bad at all considering that I will not leave much behind.

To save weight I will only carry 1 day of food, a MRE, 2 bags of salt crackers and a little water. The stuff has lots of calories and should be enough to get me to the Rabbits Cove.

I have several kilos of venison left to eat, and as much clean water as I want. Depending on the weather I leave tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, and will try to reach Rabbit Grove on the shortest possible route, then cross the mountains to the Fishing Camp, Jackrabbit Island and hopefully end the march before 1 day is over.

Nice going.

Does the game show cold only as temperature or stat dropping or are there visual clues like more snow on trees or something ? Also your carry weight determines your speed overall speed or amount or running before you get fatigued or .. ?
Also are there penalties for eating? Like say right before you leave you stuff yourself with maximum amount of food you can eat. does this impact you negatively ?

Burning Bridges

68 days 3 hours

tld 2014-11-04 08-54-51-67.jpg

I returned without real problems, and I am now approaching 70 days.

tld 2014-11-05 09-23-18-92.jpg

I begin using the the fireplace Lakefront Cabin and build up a small supply of water and food.
I got food poisoning once, which cost me half a day without work, so it is very important to have a supply.

tld 2014-11-04 08-06-52-48.jpg

I have changed my strategy with respect to wolfes, and now take the fight to them. They keep harassing me, and with time I have learned how to fight them off. But I realized that I can finish them off as well, if I follow and attack myself. Armed with a sharp hunting knife I can kill a wolf, as long as I am healthy and they are not in packs. I have found engough antiseptic and bandages to be able to survive this strategy.

tld 2014-11-05 09-00-25-12.jpg

Since I returned I have already killed two wolves, and live mostly from their meat.

tld 2014-11-04 08-09-04-09.jpg

I also caught two more rabbits, but rabbit hunting is currently not worth it. There is not enough calories in the meat to justify this effort. It does keep you alive though, so it could be used as a last ditch effort if there is nothing else to hunt.

tld 2014-11-04 08-27-51-89.jpg

I discovered a workbench in the Fishing Camp, that might be useful.

tld 2014-11-05 08-56-09-18.jpg

I also visit several places in search for a permanent base, but not really satifsied with any of the homes. Nost of them have particular drawbacks, and are dangerous because of wolves.

tld 2014-11-05 08-19-28-35.jpg

I have seen a sort of lookout tower from afar, high on the rocks over the coast(it's that brown thing in the left upper corner), and wonder if it could be of any use to me.

tld 2014-11-03 13-57-59-70.jpg

Burning Bridges

I am not so sure about the watchtower. It could be rather inaccessible up there on the cliff. And if it shares the model of the Forestry lookout, it will be really really cold inside, making it unsuitable for a base. But I'll certainly look for it soon, it could hold some interesting loot.

I have thought about a new base, the wolves around my current home are getting too aggressive. A new option would be the road house I have passed by recently. It is located very central on the map, close to the town, and seemed to be ignored by the wolves. I also spotted some deer in the area, which seem to be harder and harder to find.

All homes have some advantages but none is really great.

tld%202014-11-02%2009-47-25-50.jpg

Road House

slightly above Quonset town
Pros: no wolves (?), access to town, central location
Cons: no fireplace, no view

tld%202014-10-31%2017-51-43-10.jpg

Jackrabbit Island
Pros: no wolves (?), great view, ideal for rabbit hunting
Cons: no fireplace

tld%202014-11-02%2009-41-34-95.jpg

Lakefront Cabins
Pro: nice fireplace, three different houses
Cons: confusing, remote, wolves

tld%202014-11-05%2008-56-09-18.jpg

Misanthrope's Homestead

Pros: view
Cons: wolves, no fireplace

How important is having the fireplace ? I would ignore the watchtower for now and stock up first. This new area will make you feel all adventerous after "beating" the previous map. That watchtower looks like perfect bait.

also what makes the lakefront houses confusing ?

Burning Bridges

71 days 13 hours

tld 2014-11-05 16-23-43-84.jpg

A fireplace is of course important as a safe place to cook venison, melt water and stay warm. The Lakefront Camp was confusing, too much storing space in the three houses, very hard to get organized and stay focused on a task. I was constantly running back and forth because I need something, interrupted by unscheduled and untimely fights against wolves. There are also a lot snow heaps that restrict movement and sight. It's just not what I would want my place to be, and the wolves cost me dearly in the long term.

tld 2014-11-05 14-56-16-54.jpg

I have moved most of my gear to the roadhouse which is a safe bet. It has no fireplace but I can make campfires outside of the house. This is not optimal but works.

I am currently spending a few days on Jackrabbit Island, which is also a great place. If I subtract the calory cost from snares, there is not much benefit, but it still keeps me alive. In combination with deer it will sustain me.

tld 2014-11-05 16-24-13-98.jpg

I can still mostly live from food that I stored, and the little bits that the wolves leave me, but my supply is running out. Made four rabbit snares on the Fishing Camp workbench, opposite Jackrabbit Island. I will need to catch a lot of rabbits, and also to hunt deer.

I have lost the two rifle rounds I had found (bug), and have only 11 bullets left. Which is worrying me. I probably need to explore more of the houses and see if I find more bullets, once I have enough food.

Burning Bridges

73 days 7 hours

tld 2014-11-05 17-41-42-68.jpg

The rabbit snare trip was a complete failure. Only 1 snare was crafted (underestimated crafting failure chance), and I could not catch anything with it. I reached a point where the island house did not have anything to eat left. I spent the night without a meal, fled home, hungry and in low morale.

tld 2014-11-05 17-16-37-65.jpg

Luckily, I had stacked up food in the Roadside house, and could have breakfast: condensed milk, peanut butter and energy bars.
I begin the next day determined that I need to hunt something.
There is a deer near my camp, and I manage to drive it to a wolf, for the 2 kills / 1 shot routine I nearly perfected in Mystery Lake.

tld 2014-11-05 17-41-53-34.jpg

After the inevitable cooking marathon that followed, I have over 15 kilo meat and can approach the next days a little more relaxed.

P.S. the lowered calorie count from the patch is beginning to be an issue. I cannot live from meat nearly as long as it used to be. I need ammo, and I need to kill wolves with the knife!

Ulysses 31

Literate
Looks like my first camp is right where you are. So many wolves in this map ... I managed to run around most of the central village dodging the wolves, though as theres plenty of provisions around I'm not so scared to fight them - havent managed to kill one yet.
I hope they add a mechanic so if you're foraging and a wolf attacks that you have chance to defend. Liking this new map tough!

Ulysses 31

Literate
Also, do the maps actually link up?

[EDIT] answered my own question, found the frozen river, Rabbit Cove? and the waterfall.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Ulysses 31
Hi. Nice to see someone who is playing the game too. So far it seemed most here were interested but still on the fence or waiting for something.

Which base? The Waterfront Cottages or the single house by the roadside in my screenshots?
Let's call it the roadside house. It is so far the best place I have found. It has everything but a stove, but it is safe from wolves.

Another good base is the cabin on Jackrabbit Island. It seems to be safe from wolves, has hunting opportunities, easy access to a workbench. I absolutely love the view over the lake and the coastline. And while there is no stove, cooking can be done on the porch. Unfortunately it is real dark inside and there is not much you can do about it.

I would not recommend the Misanthrope's Home or the old base at Waterfront Cottages. I was constantly attacked (and often by surprise) and it sucked.

There is also a medium size cottage where the main town borders the waterfront that has a fireplace and isn't too dark inside. It has a pretty simple layout and I might choose this as a base too.
I have to see how the wolf situation is in this area. Probably it sucks because of wolves :) But you never know, a hundred meters can make a whole difference.

P.S. You are stronger than a wolf as long as you're: 100% rested, there is only one, and you have a knife. Always carry antiseptic + bandages and if a wolf attacks you, pursue and kill him. Use the first aid only AFTER you kill the wolf. Then check the temperature, if it's too cold you cannot afford to harvest the wolf meat. I've seen many youtubers die because they got greedy and harvested 10kg meat in a blizzard.
But if it's acceptable, take all of it as long as it's not frozen, store it in a fridge or simlar container, then rest until you are not fatigued or cold. Then cook the meat and it should more than make up the condition loss.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Rabbit Cove?

It's actually called Rabbit Grove. Here you go (map):

Long_dark_map_coast_Highway_revision_1.jpg

Following the river is one if the safest ways to reach Mystery Lake imo, although there is a much better way cross country via the Fishing Camp.
I would not recommend the area west of the Train Unloading, because it's all mountains.

Burning Bridges

Tbh I didn't know what either Grove or Cove meant until today.
So a grove is a small forest. A cove is a small harbour. Right?

Burning Bridges

tld%202014-11-06%2014-59-56-25.jpg

Just a few days ago I was beginning to feel hunger. But since I have taken up deer hunting again, my food supply is quickly building up. I already got the meat of another deer, by luring it to a wolf, then scaring the wolf away with a Halloween costume. The absence of a stove also turns out less of a problem. I am getting used to campfires on the porch. Since the wolves avoid this place, and they are too afraid of the fire anyway, it is absolutely safe.

I am entering a phase where I have something unheard of. Spare time. I am beginning to enjoy sitting by the fire, listen to the sound of the night, the shrieks of rabbits dying somewhere in the distance, drinking toilet water and nibbling at roasted deer scrotums and other delicacies.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Time to head for that tower then. For the purposes of this LP you must provide tension and near death situations :D

Ulysses 31

Literate
I had the backers rewards page open for months whilst I put off backing Long Dark in its post KickStarter pre Alpha stage. When I finally went to back it I was a few weeks to late!!! Pretty annoyed but hey, not the first time its happened! I've bought The Long Dark - Director’s Cut instead now. I try and play when I get time.

The visual style really caught my eye and made TLD stand out whilst I was looking for something off the back of playing The Walking Dead and the slow to develop The Dead Linger.
I love the game play, its a real gem of a survival adventure rpg game! Serious but relaxed play style.

It's Coastal Townsite where I was camped to start with, has a petrol station/garage. There are wolves in the village, and I should have known better than to forage there but did outside my house and died. I also was attacked at Misanthrope's Home, there no fireplace there so set a fire outside and was attacked whilst by the fire, the wolf ran away but was there still the next morning which was when I went to Coastal Townsite.

Starting a fresh I followed the road back past Fishing Camp to the bridge and then followed the frozen river past Bear Creek to Rabbit Grove and up to the Train Unloading. Currently in a porta cabin by the collapsed tunnel. Next will probably head to Abandoned Lookout and then down to Log Sort, will need to make a home somewhere soon.

I cant seem to kill the damn wolves, I'll try making chase next time but they seem to run away very fast! Certainly enough bandages and antiseptic around to keep trying to kill one. Theres lots of rabbits too so will try and craft a snare at some point, in the meantime there is a reasonable amount of meat in freezers.

I wonder if we'll be able to fix radios eventually? Seems odd thats the only electrical device that I've found you can interact with I'll also like to be able to fix the LPG tanks to have some gas cooking ... or perhaps a generator?

Tbh I didn't know what either Grove or Cove meant until today.
So a grove is a small forest. A cove is a small harbour. Right?

Correct :D

Burning Bridges

From the wiki
http://thelongdark.gamepedia.com/The_Majestic_Aurorae
I dont know if its still valid though.

The natural world is highly disrupted. Weather patterns are affected, in many cases become more extreme -- so cold places become even colder, etc. Weather is prone to sudden dramatic shifts. Wildlife behaviour is also affected. The presence of heightened electromagnetic energy disrupts migration patterns, and interferes with group dynamics. We see major migrations go horribly awry, with resulting mass die-offs. Between this, and the abundance of “easy prey”, predator populations like wolves, wild dogs, bears, etc. thrive.

During flare-ups of Aurora activity, there can be so much electromagnetic energy that some electrical devices within a localized area might become powered. This manifests as streetlights suddenly flaring up or pulsing with light. Record players or radios suddenly begin playing music, or static, or emergency broadcast messages. Television screens might become lit up, even if they can only broadcast test patterns. Light bulbs are especially susceptible to this since they simply require an electrical charge, so entire streets or town blocks can become illuminated in an unpredictable fashion.

This can make exploration more rewarding, but also potentially more risky. Locations like hospitals, police stations, banks, that use electronic security systems and vaults, might suddenly become accessible again in the presence of an active Aurora, vs. inanimate bricks you have no chance of disturbing. These places can also become traps for the unwary, or unlucky. Sudden flare-ups can trigger unexpected fires that can catch you by surprise. Or you may find yourself plunged into darkness, scrambling for a light source.

Shortwave radio communication might work, but only during periods of relatively little atmospheric activity. It might be possible to make contact with more distant locations, but such communication would be highly unpredictable. Incoming electromagnetic interference, or spikes in the amount of interference, could get picked up on a basic handheld radio. Spikes in static would suggest an incoming “flare”. Seeing static man-made light sources in the distance would also typically be a sign of heightened electromagnetic activity.

A night-time sky filled with highly active Aurora would be bright enough to navigate by without requiring additional light sources. It might also interfere with compasses, or hide the night-time stars to the degree that familiar constellations or navigation markers like the North Star are no longer visible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom