Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive the Dark Earth (Embrace The Darkness)

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I like this game's art style...if only the char models weren't so fugly. Early 3D models are the ugliest things ever. :(

lightbane

Arcane
Prerrendered scenarios were some of the best ever, even if the 3d characters stood out. I recall one game called The city of the lost children that did something like that (no idea if the game and the film used as a basis are good). Also, I don't know if I'm correct but wasn't there in Dark Earth an inventory limit and the fact that the weapons could break?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
lightbane said:
Prerrendered scenarios were some of the best ever, even if the 3d characters stood out. I recall one game called The city of the lost children that did something like that (no idea if the game and the film used as a basis are good). Also, I don't know if I'm correct but wasn't there in Dark Earth an inventory limit and the fact that the weapons could break?
The movie is good, especially for someone that likes to play trippy games like mother 3. Fans of Ron Perlman's ugly mug will also like it. Finally, people that have lolicon fantasies may also like it. Haven't played the game.

lightbane said:
Also, I don't know if I'm correct but wasn't there in Dark Earth an inventory limit and the fact that the weapons could break?
I don't know about the inventory limit, but you're right about the weapons. They will get worn after continuous use and there is a chance they could break. Fortunately there is a guy that can repair them.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

It's time for yet another chapter in Arkham's struggling saga to finally follow his orders and go to his damn post. We'll eventually get to it, but since we view this world with child-like eyes, we may as well observe everything we come by and enjoy the calm... because it won't last long.

Code:
Chapter 3 :

,---.          |              o          |    o          
|    ,---.,---.|--- ,---.,-.-..,---.,---.|--- .,---.,---.
|    |   ||   ||    ,---|| | |||   |,---||    ||   ||   |
`---'`---'`   '`---'`---^` ' '``   '`---^`---'``---'`   '

Downstairs we can see the fountain of fire :

sc00172.jpg

arkham.png
Erected by the Builders before I was born.

Not far from here we find an empty flask...

sc00183.jpg

And we come across a flying machine !

sc00184.jpg

arkham.png
This contraption won't fly unless there's really a lot of wind.

The Builders are the cast that, eh , builds stuff around here. Basically mechanics and engineers.

builders.jpg

They've also built this thing here:

sc00191.jpg

arkham.png
A vehicle for people who dare to venture into the Darklands.

I guess this thing needs wind, too. Now, we should be heading outside...

sc00195.jpg

This is our glorious city, Sparta.

thisisspartapq.jpg

The plaza is dominated by a structure that is some kind of well, but...

sc00203.jpg

arkham.png
The hatch is locked.

Hmmm, maybe it's of importance, but for now let's keep observing our surroundings... To the right we can see a big tower...

sc00206.jpg

I think it belongs to the builders, but it's locked now. To the north lies the sun temple. There are two people in the entrance, talking...

sc00208.jpg

sc00209.jpg

It's Rylsadhar, Arkham's father.

rylsadhar.png
Believe me, an imminent danger threatens Sparta. Our entire city is in danger, I sense it. You well know that in the past my predictions have always been correct... I beseech you: let me continue my research.

lory.png
But Rylsadhar, what are you afraid of?

rylsadhar.png
The Darkness, Great Sunseer, the Darkness that threatens to engulf us all. The Dark Shroud is at our doorstep... and perhaps already within our walls...

lory.png
Your words cause me great alarm, Rylsadhar. Be careful.

rylsadhar.png
Take this. I do not wish to keep it with me, it will be safer with you.

Mystary !

sc00219.jpg

lory.png
Light go with you, my friend!

rylsadhar.png
May Light be with you, Lory!

[PERCEPTION] :
sc00224.jpg

So these are the Sunseers, the priests of the dominant religion here in Sparta, that worships the Sun. It seems they are the ones that govern the city.

sunseers.jpg

Before going into the temple let's check the other side of the plaza :

sc00229.jpg

This elevator connects us to the lower city. Look who's here, our pal Zed.

sc00231.jpg

zed.png
We're bringing up a vehicle that was repaired down below by your friends the Scavengers. I'm in charge of the maneuver, that's all.

In charge of the maneuver means he's the guy that constantly shouts his ass off to the poor workers.

arkham.png
What's this vehicle you're bringing up?

zed.png
It's the sail chariot I used during my last expedition. It was in pretty bad shape by the time I got back. The Builders couldn't do anything with it, but your friend Danrys repaired it.

arkham.png
You should stay here with us and rest a while. You don't have to go back out into the Darklands right away.

zed.png
Believe me, Arkhan, I have my reasons. The Darklands aren't as empty as you think.

I believe you Zed. Anyway, time to go inside the Temple.

sc00246.jpg

arkham.png
Light be with you, Jedar.

guardianjedar.png
Dammit, Arkhan! You're late as usual ! Arriving after the Sunseer! Shame on you !

arkham.png
Sorry. I was... uh... busy in the guardroom.

Wow, Arkham's excuses are the epitome of lameness. Maybe it would be better if he said bathroom instead of guardroom.

guardianjedar.png
Mmmm. Sure, sure... Now take your post !

Fuck you dude, I want to explore the place first ! Let's check out this structure in the middle.

sc00262.jpg

arkham.png
The melodious trumpets of the great solaar. The Sunseers use them for important ceremonies. Their music is magnificent.

Something tells me this is more than a music instrument. Further inspection reveals a panel with a slot.

sc00264.jpg

We'll keep that in mind. There's another room here with a big crystal...

sc00269.jpg

...and another small opening begging us to put something in. Maybe later.

sc00268.jpg

We find a priest here, let's talk to him.

sc00271.jpg

sunseerketoun.png
You have come to meditate before the Rahal, symbol of the Sun God. Good. Meditation will help strengthen your inner light.

arkham.png
Are you an apostle of the Sun God?

sunseerketoun.png
Yes, my friend. This symbol on my forehead, the Rahal, marks me as a messenger of the Sun God. His spirit is within me. He sees through my eyes and speaks through my lips... Believe me when I tell you His sacred light illuminates our hearts and protects the just from the Darkness.

arkham.png
:nods:

sunseerketoun.png
And at nightfall, the just, illuminated by their faith, have nothing to fear when they see themselves abandoned by His divine light. Because night is an ordeal feared only by the impure. As with our ancestors from Before, they are deprived of His light forever. Remember that only the just can expose themselves to the rays of the Sun God without fear of death.

What a bloated fool. Let's get out of here. I Think it's time to finally obey our orders and stand guard outside the council room.

sc00293.jpg

arkham.png
I wonder what this meeting is about...

:SCREAM:

guardianjedar.png
Something's going on !

arkham.png
Hurry !!

screen0110e.jpg

screen0112f.jpg

SHIIII-

screen0117.jpg

screen0121.jpg

:throws knife:

screen0148.jpg

screen0150.jpg

screen0158.jpg

Crap, he have to fight one of them now.

sc00300.jpg

sc00305.jpg

We managed to kill him, but there's still another one.

screen0168.jpg

And he's an ugly motherfucker.

screen0164v.jpg

Damn it sunseer, can't you throw him a fireball or something ?

screen0171.jpg

screen0175.jpg

screen0178q.jpg

What the hell was that liquid ?

screen0184.jpg

screen0196.jpg

This is the end................................Or so we thought !

sscreen0010.jpg

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM !!!

sscreen0011.jpg

screen0201.jpg

Zed saved us at the knick of time, but things don't look good...

screen0204.jpg

screen0214a.jpg

screen0226a.jpg

screen0231a.jpg

screen0233.jpg

screen0234.jpg

screen0239.jpg

screen0243.jpg

No, things don't look good at all...

screen0249.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
LOL, what a qualified quarding force! Owned by two shitty thugs...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Awesome game! Completed it long time ago.

And since City of the Lost Children was mentioned, that one is pretty good too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
spekkio said:
LOL, what a qualified quarding force! Owned by two shitty thugs...

Not to mention that while the Guardian of fire armor has special plating for the balls, it doesn't protect the torso. At least they got their priorities right...

But the real question is how those thugs got there... :conspiracy:

lightbane

Arcane
The Builders are the cast that, eh , builds stuff around here. Basically mechanics and engineers.

The correct term is techpriests. :P

Also, was that Joker one of the thugs? And the situation is even worse than we thought: They managed to weaponrize the Decline, seeing how was Arkam corrupted.

Radisshu

Prophet
Actually I think his new face is an improvement.

Also moar etc

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

UNBELIEVABLE !

Our valiant hero has been infected by some strange liquid that has horribly disfigured him. It's like that episode in X-Files with the Black Oil thing. And no, I don't want to believe...

vienentxf.jpg

Some may say it's an improvement over his previous ugly mug and I can't say I disagree. I guess it's better being heart-wrenchingly terrifying, than just plain ugly --but how will Kalhi react ? Will she accept him ? Who knows, she may actually be understanding. Especially, you know, if *all* parts of him have become "monstrous"...

sc00309.jpg

On the other hand, the guard doesn't seem to be very understanding...

Code:
Chapter 4 :

,---.    ,---.               |                       ,---.,---.    ,--.           |                        
|---|    |    ,---.,---.,---.|--- .   .,---.,---.    |   ||__.     |   |,---.,---.|__/ ,---.,---.,---.,---.
|   |    |    |    |---',---||    |   ||    |---'    |   ||        |   |,---||    |  \ |   ||---'`---.`---.
`   '    `---'`    `---'`---^`---'`---'`    `---'    `---'`        `--' `---^`    `   ``   '`---'`---'`---'

sc00313.jpg

The fool doesn't listen and attacks...

sc00315.jpg

But the fact is that in this new form we can actually kick major ass just with our bare hands. It's like being the Slayer in BG2. We've got all these new cool moves and we can evade the enemy much easier. It's fucking awesome.

sc00318copy.jpg

EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE !

sc00319copy.jpg

GAHAHAHAHA !!

sc00321copy.jpg

And stay down, BITCH !

sc00324.jpg

arkham2.png
Sorry Guardian, you gave me no choice... :smug:

Before we get the chance to catch our breath someone enters the room.

sc00329.jpg

thanandar.png
How do you feel? Looks like you took it all right...

arkham2.png
This Guardian attacked me, I had to defend myself!

thanandar.png
Yes... a superstitious fool! Don't worry, I understand. Kill or be killed, you had no choice!

arkham2.png
Do you know what's happening to me? Who are you?

thanandar.png
I am Thanandar, a Sunseer like your father. But above all, I am a healer. And I know what's wrong with you, Arkhan. I know only too well. The Darkness has taken root inside you... And it won't stop until it swallows you, body and soul.

That's the downside, folks. As time passes the disease will get stronger and eventually it will consume us. This means that we must move fast.

arkham2.png
Is there any way to be cured?

thanandar.png
There might be a way...

sc00351.jpg

thanandar.png
But I shouldn't be talking about it. I've said too much already. Only your father can choose to divulge the secret and take you there. He is one of the rare Initiates who knows where it is.

arkham2.png
You're telling me my father knows about this... secret crypt?

thanandar.png
Yes. Go talk to Rylsadhar. Only he can save you. All I can do is prepare a temporary remedy that'll numb the pain and slow the pace of the malady. Come back after you see your father.

sc00363.jpg

thanandar.png
It's all right Captain Phedoria! Everything's just fine!

thanandar.png
Have to act fast! Others are on the way, and they could be hostile, too. Go to your father and ask him to lead you to the crypt.

Hmmm, this guy Thanadar seems a little too eager to help. I don't trust him. But the fact remains that we should go see Arkham's father. Oh, and before that, let's save. From now on we'll save the game first, then explore on our leisure and decide our course of action and then reload and do it all in tubro (Later I saw the mistake but I decided leave it as it is...) mode.

Let's inspect the area. To the north we find some kind of surgeon's room. Here we can pick up a dagger and a...

sc00376.jpg

Which is actually an empty nuca-cola can, or something, from before the cataclysm. We can also loot a battle-ax from the guard.

sc00378.jpg

Time to visit father.

sc00382.jpg

Inside his hut we can pick up an empty flask and we can observe a strange door with a lock... that looks like a keypad ! :makes mental note:

sc00386.jpg

Rylsadhar is sitting devastated on the bed.

sc00390.jpg

rylsadhar.png
Lory was right, they contaminated you. It's the Curse of the Darkness!

arkham2.png
Father, what's happening to me? What is this evil?

rylsadhar.png
Arkhan... My son. Your courage saved the Great Sunseer. But I don't know what can save you from this evil. We'll do everything we can to heal you. Thanandar, our finest healer, is already hard at work.

arkham2.png
Thanandar said he couldn't do anything for me. He says the only real cure is found in some crypt.

rylsadhar.png
What? Thanandar told you about that... that place?

arkham2.png
Yes, he said only you could lead me there... Father, I need your help!

rylsadhar.png
If I had known that one day this would happen... Your courage and your sacrifice have earned you the right to know! But remember this: ordinarily, I am forbidden to lead you to that sacred spot. must break my vow in order to heal you. You must promise never to speak of what you see there.

arkham2.png
I promise.

What's the deal with this crypt ? What is the big secret ? How can it cure the disease ?
But before we could get anything more from him...

sc00411.jpg

sc00415.jpg

kalhi.png
It's... It's you?

rylsadhar.png
Yes, it really is Arkhan. The people that tried to kill Lory infected him.

rylsadhar.png
Arkhan, as I was saying... I... I'll take you there, just as I said. But first I must speak to Provost Dhorkan and get his approval. Go and see Sesekhan the Archivist and wait for me there.

Damn ! why bring that creep Dhorkan into this ?!

kalhi.png
Arkhan! Oh, sweetheart, what have they done to you? Your... Your face, your hands... You must consult the healers at the hospital!

sc00426.jpg

sc00429.jpg

arkham2.png
Listen, I was in the hospital. A Guardian of Fire jumped me. He didn't recognize me, he thought I was a Creature of Darkness.

kalhi.png
With everything that's going on, it's a total panic up there. The Provost has taken control of the Stallite. The gates are closed.

kalhi.png
Access to the Lower City is cut off, I can't go back. And the Guardians of Fire are looking everywhere for the culprits. I'm afraid of what'll happen if they find me!

arkham2.png
My father will help us, don't worry!

kalhi.png
By the Great Sun God, I hope he can help you. I'm afraid for you, Arkhan. And what will the Sunseers say if they see you... changed like that. They'll be afraid. They might banish you to the Darklands!

arkham2.png
Don't worry, Kalhi, we'll be all right.

kalhi.png
Yes, I trust Rylsadhar. You should go see him right away.

Kalhi still likes us :love:

Further inspection of the room reveals something under the bed...

sc00453.jpg

sc00455.jpg

" If you seek the way to the music of the spheres."
" Move three times to the right towards the Sun God."
" Then twice to the left, honoring his emissary the Moon."
" Finally, once more to the right, to avoid the darkness of the night."
" Thus will you come upon the path which leads to the sacred site of eternal day."

Hmm, Strange note...

sc00461.jpg
:smug:

We better go and find Rylsadhar. We can't waste any time.
As we climb the stairs we come upon Brother "Sun-rays shine through my ass" Ketoun.

sc00470.jpg

sunseerketoun.png
He speaks through our lips. He sees all of you through our eyes. He now exhorts us to resist the forces of Darkness! The heretics who have let the Darkness enter their hearts will pay for their treason with their own blood!

sunseerketoun.png
Onward, Guardians of Fire, and remember your sacred mission: you are the avenging hand of the Great Solaar! You must drive all those who have consorted with the Darkness out of the Stallite!

sunseerketoun.png
Swear by the God Solaar!

genericguardian.png
We swear by the Great Sun God !

sc00479.jpg

sc00480.jpg

These fanatics are just begging to get their ass kicked by a creature of darkness...

lightbane

Arcane
I like that you can now go to visit captain Phedoria, and assuming you were polite she'll vow for you (not for the Provost if I recall correctly). Also, you should show when you can what happens if you use too much the Special attack and allow the Decline to spread too far inside Arkam's body, his "final form" is cool (though unplayable)...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hm I haven't actually used the special attack too much... I didn't know this could happen. Kewl !

denizsi

Arcane
This is an awesome game. I've played it several times when it came out. There were some minor branching as well. :respect:

Fuck outcast; every Codexer owes it to herself to play this game.

lightbane

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Hm I haven't actually used the special attack too much... I didn't know this could happen. Kewl !

You shouldn't. It raises the corruption too much (and there will be a point that the protagonist will be no longer able to use it 'cause he will be at his limit). Also, it's not enough to raise it to the max to transform, you must either kill a human being when the bar is almost filled and/or let some time pass (I'm not sure), you can try it right after waking up with the poor priest that goes to help you (unfortunately Phedoria will be understandably butthurt and will kill you when you exit the building).

And you can find certain potions that will decrease a bit the "Decline bar" , try killing the priest as I said for an example, though there was a special place on the game where you could purify the Decline almost completely (only temporally though)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's impressive how they have covered may different situations. I'm going through the dialog files and there's always a different response if you threaten or attack someone.

lightbane

Arcane
ghostdog said:
It's impressive how they have covered may different situations. I'm going through the dialog files and there's always a different response if you threaten or attack someone.

Don't bother, I can confirm you there are. Certain dialogues will be the same regardless of your behaviour, however other characters may be angry with you and attack you if you go EXTREME mode and viceversa (for example, right now where you are depending of your "politeness" you may have to fight several optional combats with some guards that will be logically startled to see Arkam but will still give him an opportunity to explain himself (ie Phedoria again)).

PS: And depending of your choices and actions some characters will change and perform different story events than their "standard" ones.

Crowley9

Novice

" If you seek the way to the music of the spheres."
" Move three times to the right towards the Sun God."
" Then twice to the left, honoring his emissary the Moon."
" Finally, once more to the right, to avoid the darkness of the night."
" Thus will you come upon the path which leads to the sacred site of eternal day."

Could this be... a treasure map?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Crowley9 said:
Could this be... a treasure map?

That's what I thought too at first, but it's not exactly that. It will be shown in the next update, probably.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
denizsi said:
Try opening doors in aggressive stance :)
heh, that's more like it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom