Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's speculate about the future of CRPGs

Apexeon

Arcane
VR another dumb fade.

DraQ

Arcane
Whats to clarify?

Isometric pov is better presented and feels more natural in AR in the first place. That whole table top schtick and style. You can have PnP sessions with friends locally or online with whole presentation closer to the actual style of playing.
Without any helmet on your head or nausea of artificial space around you. While still being able to do anything else you might need with ease. Like fixing a drink or rolling a splif or whatever.

Why would you need the VR for that? What does that give you? More graphikz?
I could see why VR would be better for FP shooters and such action games but RPGs?

And what does Ar do worse, especially a lot of things worse?
AR is redundant for PnP - you can play it perfectly well using just physical requisites, or online using ordinary messaging technology.

It might be a godsend for LARPers, though - throwing around CGI lightning bolts will probably make it feel less lame.
:troll:
LARPing that you're playing physical PnP session while actually sitting in an empty room and connecting online fits here as well.

Alchemist

Arcane
AR tabletop RPGs could be pretty cool actually. Imagine having a really elaborate virtual miniatures setup on the table - with animated figures, complex terrains, high quality dungeon tiles (like Dwarven Forge sets), spell effects, etc. You can do some of that now - but it takes a ton of space (and money) to have those tile sets and cool terrains.

hiver

ach cmonn, you should know what i mean.

You and friend can sit lying down on the floor or couches, all nice and cosy and have Sigil/Faerun/whatever on the floor in between of you watching your character move and climb over stuff and so on.
You of course can have a similar presentation in VR but what the fuck for?
If its not a first person poV game what use that shit really has?

AR tabletop RPGs could be pretty cool actually. Imagine having a really elaborate virtual miniatures setup on the table - with animated figures, complex terrains, high quality dungeon tiles (like Dwarven Forge sets), spell effects, etc. You can do some of that now - but it takes a ton of space (and money) to have those tile sets and cool terrains.
Exactly.

And it would be pretty good for strategies too.

VR is for cheap graphic whores. Ar is for distinguished monocled gentlemen.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
What we are seeing with games (including CRPGs) are the traditional growing pains that all media go through. Film did the same thing: it was a novelty, then the artists got a hold of it and did some really cool/weird shit, the barriers for entry were pretty low. Then they became commercialized, and business sense began to temper some artistic license (admittedly bad) but also made the medium more popular and accessible to everyone (good) which increased money and fame and power. Then the studio system emerged, which was terrific for a while but quickly veered into corporatist horseshit complete with ridiculous contracts and substandard products aimed at hitting as many "demographics" (in quotes because they didn't really know what those were, back then) possible -- sound familiar?

And then it all collapsed with the rise of the "independent" film maker, with directors and actors free to move among studios depending on the project.

DraQ

Arcane
Ok, I can see the point.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess a major advantage of AR over VR is that you can use a keyboard whereas in VR you would have to rely on a virtual one (if they get that to work at all in the near future).

Old Hans

Arcane
In the year 2063, an eastern European developer will finally release a post apocalypse rpg that gets at least 8 pages on the codex talking about how its "pretty good, but it's no fallout 1"

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
And I always thought that having an AR device while driving would come in pretty handy. You know, having the street names displayed and things like that.

nomask7

Arcane
Kickstarter is only a mild hope. Devs are still afraid to try anything new. They all cater to this or that semi-retarded fanbase and if their games are good it's despite not because of that.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Imagine they finally invent means for immortality when you are 80. An eternity without any decent new games.
At least I'll still have books. Time enough at last.

latest

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
For what it's worth I recommend the new tabletop RPG 'MYFAROG' (Mythical Fantasy Roleplaying Game). It's a very traditional RPG, with a focus on Norse culture and mythology, combined with a Lovecraftian element. There's also a strong survivalist vibe to it.

A review:

Some background on the world:
http://myfarog.org/2013/01/10/the-world-of-thule/

Ladonna

Arcane
AR and VR will save Bioware. All those peripherals you will be able to buy. Think of the Alien sex...

In any case, things haven't yet gotten to the best they can be CRPG wise for nostalgia fags. There are still no games that operate along the Goldbox/TOEE (can you imagine whole trilogies of games, like the goldbox games, using the TOEE engine?) lines, nor are there games that really come up against the mid Ultimas. There have been one new blob and two new action blob games. All the rest seem intent on emulating new age Baldurs Gate style systems.

How about crossovers? I would love a cross over that was a completely improved version of Space Rogue. How good would that be?

No, the CRPG revival either hasn't started yet, or is just a small flash in the pan. I also hope that after a few successful kickstarters (and successful sales afterwards) devs like obsidian will be able to fund their own games with an accumulated stockpile of money. If kickstarter is just used for never ending milking by the established CRPG devs, it will turn sour.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will someone ever release a worthy successor to Neverwinter Night's toolset and spawn a new era of mod making? Could it be the next big thing?

I wish. I so wish that was going to happen, at some point. The editor for D:OS is as close as we get to that, these days: it wasn't too bad, in fact, but real life got in the way and I stopped fiddling around with it.

In regard to the globality of your questions:

Rape is the only answer.

Don Peste

Arcane
I find the lack of TOEE clones disturbing. Also, with this trend of pixel graphics, how come no one has made an Eye of the Beholder clone with even more pixelated graphics? QuestLord for Android is all I've seen.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
For an Eye of the Beholder type game you would need a talented 2D graphics artist. Might be rare these days.

Lhynn

Arcane
In the year 2063, an eastern European developer will finally release a post apocalypse rpg that gets at least 8 pages on the codex talking about how its "pretty good, but it's no fallout 1 underrail"

Gozma

Arcane
For what it's worth I recommend the new tabletop RPG 'MYFAROG' (Mythical Fantasy Roleplaying Game). It's a very traditional RPG, with a focus on Norse culture and mythology, combined with a Lovecraftian element. There's also a strong survivalist vibe to it.

A review:

GURPS finally gets competition for the most absurdly named RPG

A review:

Clicked the link to the blog and what's more absurd: it seems the author really is the Varg Vikernes :retarded:

Alchemist

Arcane

Clicked the link to the blog and what's more absurd: it seems the author really is the Varg Vikernes :retarded:
Yeah Varg is really into RPGs, more so tabletop than CRPGs but he does mention playing those in the past too. This is from a Youtube comment thread (he is ThuleanPerspective on Youtube):
M6fGMBE.png

I'm surprised he isn't on the Codex - he'd fit right in. :)

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Yeah Varg is really into RPGs, more so tabletop than CRPGs but he does mention playing those in the past too. This is from a Youtube comment thread (he is ThuleanPerspective on Youtube):

I'm surprised he isn't on the Codex - he'd fit right in. :)

Yeah his YouTube channel is full of RPG-related videos. Among other things, he reviews older RPGs like this:

He wrote that he's developed MYFAROG primarily as an educational tool for his children, as they grow older. He wants to teach them about Norse culture and mythology.

I can't think of a better guarantee against political correctness, than the author being Varg Vikernes. :)

Ladonna

Arcane
So what are the replies like to the youtube comment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom