Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Makes sense. All those folks that know you're disguised as a Drow in a Drow city hear from their Drow contacts that you were killing slaves and go tell all the random shopkeepers in Athkatla this information so you'll have to pay slightly higher prices.
I planned on mentioning this in the LP, but now I am glad I did not, because your description is much funnier than anything I would have written.

The Codex is beyond caring about reputation, incidentally.

EDIT:
It is also funny how your high reputation discount works just fine in Ust Natha bazaar.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last time on Let's Insane Solo Baldur's Gate 2:

bg2_up63_028.jpg

Instances of senseless drow violence: 5 - Wasting perfectly good slaves for lulz is fucking stupid

------

Update #64: Sin City, part VI - Before We Move On...

Note: Josh is not in this update, because the screenshots were made before I reloaded to kill Jarlaxle, and I had no time to replay this part just yet (also, not particularly looking forward to it). I have decided to post the no-Josh version of the update rather than postponing it until next week at least.

bg2_up64_000.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Since I have Jae'llat ward stone, why not use it?

bg2_up64_001.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Whoa, that's a lot of shit-eaters.

bg2_up64_002.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Uh, this is not a good start...

We were trying to cast Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, by the way, and I will be calling this spell 'ADHW' from now on to keep my sanity.

bg2_up64_003.jpg

codex_10.jpg
These are some very sharp swords...

bg2_up64_004.jpg

Looks like this could be non-trivial.

Death Count: 235

Load game.

codex_10.jpg
As talented and handsome as I am, I think I am going to need some backup against five high-level drow.

bg2_up64_005.jpg

This is the same stoneskin we used against Jarlaxle. Time paradox!

bg2_up64_006.jpg

And this should be a nice supplement to The Codex's magic resistance.

bg2_up64_007.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I choose you, Edge!

If you caught the second part of that reference (and are not Tytus), I am impressed.
Also, I will be calling Mordenkainen's Sword 'MorSword' from now on, mostly because I am chronically unable to remember how to spell 'Mordenkainen'.

bg2_up64_008.jpg

With MorSword tanking for us (and House Jae'llat bent on destroying it), The Codex can easily kill all enemies, one by one.

bg2_up64_009.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I can also save some time and kill them all outright.

With Wail of the Banshee? You can try...

bg2_up64_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Huh? Nothing?

I am not sure this spell even works.

bg2_up64_011.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess it's grinding, then...

bg2_up64_012.jpg

bg2_up64_013.jpg

bg2_up64_014.jpg

bg2_up64_015.jpg

bg2_up64_016.jpg

bg2_up64_018.jpg

I just love how impractical these interiors are.

bg2_up64_019.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Get them, Edge!

bg2_up64_020.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh shit.

bg2_up64_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
One moment...

bg2_up64_022.jpg

codex_10.jpg
What? No deaths?

These guys have too many HPs.

bg2_up64_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
You should have dodged this one, bro.

bg2_up64_024.jpg

codex_10.jpg
My sixth sense, along with massive blood loss, tells me that my stoneskin has expired.

bg2_up64_025.jpg

I guess lack of character portrait on the screen has its disadvantages.

Death Count: 236

codex_10.jpg
This is like fighting a Zerg rush where all the Zerg are Dark Templars.

bg2_up64_026.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I probably should keep my distance if possible.

bg2_up64_027.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Okay, one down!

bg2_up64_028.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Damn, this could turn bad again. I need a new tank.

bg2_up64_029.jpg

codex_10.jpg
There, that should do it.

bg2_up64_030.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Crap, crap, crap!

The reason why there is no screenshot of the golem being destroyed is because it died so fast, I was not able to catch that.

bg2_up64_031.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Well, this is disappointing. Although still much better than Fail of the Banalshee.

bg2_up64_032.jpg

Of course we are not above cheesing through this with a choke-point abuse, which is a tried and true tactic throughout gaming history (my fondest memories of it come from the original Diablo).

bg2_up64_033.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Seems like I need a little refreshment...

bg2_up64_034.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Next!

bg2_up64_035.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Next! This is almost like Papers, Please.

Glory to Arstotzka!

bg2_up64_036.jpg

Screenshots of all the other Jae'llat guards dying have been cut due to budget constraints.

bg2_up64_037.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate this shitty drow loot! And I hate even more than it is always unidentified! :x

bg2_up64_038.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ok, this is promisingly different.

bg2_up64_041.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Now that's just trolling.

bg2_up64_039.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fourty-five pearls? :incline:

bg2_up64_040.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It usually pays off to check the couch for spare change.

bg2_up64_042.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Looks like a boss fight arena.

bg2_up64_043.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Assassins? No? Just a regular psychotic murderous burglar... Wait, that does not sound too good. Let's stick with assassins after all.

bg2_up64_044.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Nice fighting with you, Ishtar, but it looks like your bro- sis- well, sibling is about to finish casting a spell, which is potentially bad.

bg2_up64_045.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Rapid target change!

Casting failure is exactly what we wanted here.

bg2_up64_046.jpg

And back to hacking at Ist'tar, who seems to have at least 120 HP, unless I missed him healing somehow.

codex_10.jpg
I think I should withdraw.

bg2_up64_047.jpg

codex_10.jpg
FUCKYEAH! :fuuyeah:

bg2_up64_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Remind me to never use horn of blowing on myself again...

bg2_up64_050.jpg

codex_10.jpg
FATALITY!

bg2_up64_051.jpg

We try to backstab Hindra, but The Codex's hide in shadows stands no chance against her True Seeing (and our Cloak of Non-Detection is in Athkatla, AFAIR)

bg2_up64_052.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Glorious!

bg2_up64_053.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Diamonds are The Codex's best friends.

That actually concludes our looting of House Jae'llat. We leave piles of bodies behind while heading towards the door.

bg2_up64_054.jpg

codex_10.jpg
That Lolth girl is awfully needy. Must be from California.

bg2_up64_055.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Hi, is this the Gaudanaurar cult meeting pl- Oh fuck, not this thing.

bg2_up64_056.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fire? I will show you proper fire magic!

bg2_up64_057.jpg

codex_10.jpg
BOOM, motherfuckers!

bg2_up64_058.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck, it's not working! :x

Why do you keep forgetting that Otyughs are immune to arrows?

bg2_up64_059.jpg

codex_10.jpg
But their masters aren't. :smug:

bg2_up64_060.jpg

codex_10.jpg
GET AWAY FROM ME DISGUSTING CREATURE!

bg2_up64_061.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Here's the rest of the arrows!

bg2_up64_062.jpg

codex_10.jpg
You can't be serious!

bg2_up64_063.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Kill it, spidey!

bg2_up64_064.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Nice teamwork.

bg2_up64_065.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, wait, he's by himself now.

bg2_up64_066.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This calls for a backstab!

bg2_up64_067.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh... Shit.

bg2_up64_068.jpg

codex_10.jpg
WTF is this? World of Goo?

Not sure what kind of spell we were trying to cast here, but it got interrupted anyway.

codex_10.jpg
Time to relocate.

bg2_up64_069.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This guy is more persistent than Jenova's Witnesses. I'm not converting!

bg2_up64_070.jpg

codex_10.jpg
For the record, I am only worshipping myself and Tim Cain.

And MCA. Well, early MCA at least.

bg2_up64_071.jpg

codex_10.jpg
These green slimes must be baby otyughs or something.

The immunities of all these slimes, jellies, oozes and goos seem completely random to me.

bg2_up64_072.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Thankfully, not many things are immune to my penis envy hueg paladin sword of holy-fuck.

bg2_up64_073.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate political correctness.

What do you mean?

codex_10.jpg
This spell. They should have just called it Retarded Fireball.

bg2_up64_074.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I love the smell of burning ooze... No, wait, it's actually kind of revolting.

bg2_up64_075.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Do you know how does green slime differ from other slimes?

Easy. It's from the Green party.

bg2_up64_076.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Let me scout how many of these things are still around.

bg2_up64_077.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Luckily only a few.

bg2_up64_078.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ah, fuck!

bg2_up64_079.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It slimed me!

Thankfully, The Codex drank a potion after previous hit, or we would have to reload.

And since we are still on cooldown after drinking that potion, we need to make sure we do not get hit again.

bg2_up64_080.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I'm supposed to wear these? Seems kind of humiliating...

Do you want to live or die covered with smelly, slimy, gooey-

codex_10.jpg
Alright, alright!

bg2_up64_081.jpg

This is some nice AC.
Note that contrary to its name, Boots of Hastened Departure do not actually increase your movement speed.

bg2_up64_082.jpg

We retreat all the way towards temple door, pursued by a jelly (wow, that is one sentence I never expected to write).

bg2_up64_083.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate damage reduction!

bg2_up64_085.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate damage immunity even more! :x

bg2_up64_086.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I don't even want to know how cutting a slime is supposed to work.

bg2_up64_087.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Thankfully, these seem to be the last ones. This got boring quite a while ago.

bg2_up64_088.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And done.

bg2_up64_089.jpg

codex_10.jpg
You know what? Fuck you!

bg2_up64_090.jpg

codex_10.jpg
:rage:

---

Next time: Well, that depends on what you vote for! Yes, the voting is back, despite nobody really missed it!

We have three choices where to go. The Codex will probably want to destroy visit all three neighbouring races anyway, but you can decide which is going to die be first.

1. Beholders
2. Illithids
3. Kuo-Toa

ALSO: Since our hero is becoming a bit OP for this part of the game, when voting please list all the items you think should be forbidden to use during these updates, along with these:

Anything that is +5 (Carsomyr, Staff of the Magi, etc.)
Ring of Gaxx
Red Dragon Scale
All drow equipment

Last edited:

ALchymist

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Assuming you go for all three then this is the order I suggest. Otherwise take number 1 as my vote.

1) No MorSword (it ends up as an item!) against Illithids
2) No Cloak of Reflection or Shield of Balduran against Beholders.
3) No Boots of Haste against Kua Toa

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Kill the Kuo-Toa first. Mind your time here, the drow went batshit butthurt on me when I took too long to return the Preciouss Bodily Fluids to them. Also, use all the items you have at your disposal. I do not care about you handicapping the Codex, and I bet neither does he :rpgcodex:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Beholders. No Shield of Balduran.

And no Carsomyr.
:troll:
For a more unusual challenge, you could choose to restrict weapons to the Rod of Lordly Might, that way The Codex can claim he wiped out three races using his Rod of Lordly Might.

This is not a real suggestion, by the way, since the rod's three weapons are underpowered by this point.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Darn it, Roxor beaten me to it

No combat enhancing mods right?

So Naked UnderDork run, Brain potions allowed :outrage:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Beholders. Naked. Except for the Rod of the Lordly Might.

Though illithids are fine, too.

At this point spells alone could probably carry The Codex through the Kuo-Toa dungeon. The other two might pose a challenge, though.

Tytus

Arcane
That last update was to EDGY for me. Reading it was a true GEHENNA. It was like kicking a DRAGON in the BALLS, very hard. I vote for Beholders though. It will be a really DARK SAGA when you get to it.

Is that enough inside jokes/references for you MicoSelva ?

ALchymist

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
If we try to take Ring of Gaxx away from The Codex, it will be "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses Codexianses."

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
If we try to take Ring of Gaxx away from The Codex, it will be "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses Codexianses."
I actually think taking away the ring will result mostly in one of these:
1. Longer time to play through the updates as Ring of Regeneration works two times slower than Ring of Gaxx.
2. In case I already sold RoR, a huge reduction in our potion stockpile over a short period of time.

The Codex does not have Shield of Balduran, by the way. We never bought it, because it is too cheesy even for our hero. As for Cloak of Mirroring, I do not remember if we have it or not, but I was not planning on using it anyway.

EDIT:
Votes so far:
1. Kuo-Toa [Azira]
2. Illithids [ALchymist]
3. Kuo-Toa [Storyfag]
4. Beholders [Insane Psychic]
5. Beholders [Abelian]
6. Illithids [Darth Roxor]
7. Illithids [Shadenuat] <- actually, no vote
7. Beholders [Nevill]
8. Beholders [Desmodus Rotundus]
9. Kuo-Toa [Erebus]
10. Beholders [Edward_R_Murrow]

Some nice handicap ideas, bros, I will take them all into consideration. Although I will not be playing naked, because I have a chair that really clings to the skin, which makes sitting uncomfortamble if I am not wearing any pants.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Well, obviously. The Codex wouldn't be able to equip the ring. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom