Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's See the World Die. Dominions 4.

Ashery

Prophet
Kinda starting to feel like BoT killed you rather than saved you. If the AI did in fact target you after you cast it.

You need some kinda brutal combat trick to be finished soon, so you can at least get back the lands you've lost, because the AI conjuration armies are coming. I suppose construction will sort that out if you manage to keep a lab somewhere to construct something. Shame you don't have any access to archers, the battles against Caelum seem to last ages, lots of time for arrows to help you out.

Except that everyone was in melee and surrounded, so archers would've either gotten butchered or been liable to hit friendlies. Not quite as much of an issue with glamor and high defense, but it's still frustrating as hell. I even once tried an archer build with Caelum and it was hilariously useless. Blessed archers with quickness and some bonus precision did absolutely fuck all against anything that was decently equipped.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
*thinking fire thoughts*
bonfire.jpg

Kinda starting to feel like BoT killed you rather than saved you. If the AI did in fact target you after you cast it.

It did. I've been trying numerous other sessions with 4.14 version, and AI seems much more reasonable in terms of agression towards player. If previously he was mostly blindly declaring war as soon as he saw your borders (and sometimes even before that), now it's possible to co-exist in neutral relationships with him for a long, long time.

For example, I've been playing Bogarus with 19 Impossible AI's. It's year 5 already.

web.jpg

I've got 4 neighboring nations, most of them are superior in terms of army and territories. NOBODY declared war on me or made a single agressive action. I had to go YOLO on T'ien Ch'i myself, which sometimes gets me in fights with Ulm, when we attack their terrirories simultaniously.

web.jpg

So I really think the sudden gangbang in this LP can only be explained by BoT reaction. That's no excuse, though - I'm used to agressive AI behaviour since Dom3. The slow-ass progression of BoT is what really kills me. If it was 4.07, all those conans and birdmen would be old already, and provinces with my dominion would have 0 population and next-to-none supplies. That would help me immensely.

You need some kinda brutal combat trick to be finished soon, so you can at least get back the lands you've lost, because the AI conjuration armies are coming. I suppose construction will sort that out if you manage to keep a lab somewhere to construct something.

My research is dead. No new brutal tricks for now. But as you said it yourself, it's not so bad while I have labs and Disir. Besides, maybe Ulm and Vanheim finally start fighting each other for those unprotected lands of mine.

Shame you don't have any access to archers, the battles against Caelum seem to last ages, lots of time for arrows to help you out.

Naah, Ashery nailed it - archers are useless against Caelum anyway. It's not LA with it's heavy-armored crossbowmen with shields. I don't expect as much problems with Caelum as I used to have, since they lost their muscles. All they have left is hordes of archers. And I've got just the thing for this - muh sacred cavalry!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Even if BoT screwed you over and you don't "win" this, the LP has been very much exciting and probably a lot more so than if you had started to steamroll over the AI and painted provinces left and right.

So cheers for unforeseen circumstances.

Valescere

Literate
Agreed, defeat would in no way decrease the entertaining value of this LP.

I'd say give my bow away, but with my name scrawled into the wood. Let all know that this was the bow that Valescere himself wielded!

You can't be a member of Helheim and fear death. I will stay, fight, and die by the side of my king!

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Agreed, defeat would in no way decrease the entertaining value of this LP.

I'd say give my bow away, but with my name scrawled into the wood. Let all know that this was the bow that Valescere himself wielded!

You can't be a member of Helheim and fear death. I will stay, fight, and die by the side of my king!

I cant equip your bow till next turn coz im not in same province yet. Keep your bow equiped if you dont want to travel bro.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I have no excuse. Laziness and inspiration crisis.

web.jpg

If I don't update it this week, I'll ask DU to give me some stupid tag until I finish this LP. That should motivate me. I hope.

Or maybe someone wants to take over this LP? It shouldn't be hard to continue the game, since I've commented on my every decision, plan, etc. This turn, that I haven't posted yet, was pretty gud too. I'm sure Helheim will be fine in the forseen future.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Grimwulf, let me just say, this LP is amazing. I love all the pictures you scrounge up god knows where. And you made me get the fucking game you bastard, and I can say your disclaimer about never being able to play other strategy games again is very true.

Anyway, thanks for the LP, one of the best I've seen.

One question: can you recommend any resources (LPs, guides, etc.) for strategies beyond basic nation guidelines and the early game? After maybe year 3, I get totally overwhelmed by all the stuff (spells, summons, units) and don't really know what I'm doing any more and get frustrated. How did you learn to play?

There is no "ultimate guide to everything" as far as I'm aware. Your best bet probably is looking up stuff in Dom 4 Inspector and trying it out. Identify what your nation is good at and try to take advantage of it.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Grimwulf, let me just say, this LP is amazing. I love all the pictures you scrounge up god knows where. And you made me get the fucking game you bastard, and I can say your disclaimer about never being able to play other strategy games again is very true.

Anyway, thanks for the LP, one of the best I've seen.

One question: can you recommend any resources (LPs, guides, etc.) for strategies beyond basic nation guidelines and the early game? After maybe year 3, I get totally overwhelmed by all the stuff (spells, summons, units) and don't really know what I'm doing any more and get frustrated. How did you learn to play?

Thanks! As for the question, I can't really say if there are any competent guides or LP's out there. Everything I saw was rather shitty, both strategy-wise and in terms of entertainment. I don't believe that anyone can make a "universal guide" or "generaral tips", coz everything in this game is extremely specific. Nation-specific, map-specific, settings-specific, opponents-specific, etc. And every global plan needs to be calibrated. For example, I never expected to have THAT kind of shitty gem income in this LP, so I had to kill research and forget about Thaumaturgy 6 for a long while. Change global priorities from researching to site searching and agression towards Caelum. I didn't plan my game to develop like this when I started. And it's often even more chaotic during pbem's, where diplomacy plays a major role.

Of all the LP's, this one was mildly entertaining for me:
https://devnada.wordpress.com/drama/

But the guy over there uses triple-bless on MA Ermor, which is probably even more insane design that what you saw here. You won't find any pro-tips there. Also, it's an AAR.

I suggest you just relax and choose some nation that you like thematically. Set yourself a nice standard-AI setting, and just roll how you like. Try different spells/units/artifacts, experiment with stuff, see if it works out. Soon you'll be generating ideas, tactics and strategies yourself. Official manual should be enough info to start playing and enjoying the game, in intuitive-fashion.

And there are much more pbem players here on Codex than you think. Both vets and noobs. You should really try pbem once you develop and calibrate a Pretender. That's when you really start loving the game.

If you ever need some specific advice/explanation/tip/any-other-random-stuff from an old senile fucker - feel free to ask.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Thanks!
It's just that I love theorycrafting and planning before I even start the game, but my head explodes when I try to understand the relationships between the items, magic paths, summons, thugs, etc.

Just play is good advice though. I had a nice run as LA Ulm (the AI can't handle massed iron blizzard or whatsitcalled) but the micro involved in a massive blood economy made me pound my head against the wall.
I'll probably join a Codex PBEM when I feel a bit more ready :)

JohnTheRevelator, thanks! That's actually an excellent resource I wasn't aware of.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You know what, I'm done with this LP. I ain't nobody's bitch. There's like a million other places I can get entertained. Good riddance, even.

tumblr_n5s9mp00cU1sonf83o1_500.gif

Andnjord

Arcane
Momentarily delurking here (and offering my first post as a bloodslave to start forging your bloodstones) to say that this LP has been all kinds of awesome and that its disappearance is making a poor lurker very sad.

Also, if this was to ever start again, could I be a Svartalf, pretty please? :oops:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
One has to maintain his autism at high levels, in order to play Dominions. I've made a mistake of contacting with RL for too long.

But now I'm almost back to my lonesome-alco-harmony state of mind, so this LP will continue relatively soon.

could I be a Svartalf, pretty please? :oops:

Sure thing! You are now in the Death List!

Got bored and left

While we wait to Grimwulf's loneliness levels to rise, here's a brand new Dom4 multiplayer LP. The guy is mildly annoying but he is a competent player, and competent Dom4 LPs are hard to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_Uc4YVCs0&feature=youtu.be

"Mildly annoying" doesn't bode very well, but thanks, will check it out. Maybe it'll help me deal with the symptoms of Grimwulf withdrawal :negative:

And if not, there's always booze! That's how we deal with problems in Potatoland, after all.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Bunch of heretics and scoundrels! Instead for waiting the treacherous Slav (now distracted by horrible things like Batmen tactics and annoyances like Real Life) try to reach divinity by yourselves!

Follow the example of sqeecoo and JOIN THE NEXT CODEX GAME!

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-4-pbem-season-3-turmoil-3-is-a-ladder.97551/

Remember, No One Knows What He's Doing! And We Need Always more Cannon Fodder!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom