Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's see Codex reach the stars! [Finished]

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It is possible to beat them Phelot. They are like Antarans in Moo2.

And thanks for the nice words, I've been playing the game but there hasn't been anything worthwhile happening - just tech research and SY upgrades and little exploration. I'll do an update as soon as either new aliens pop-up or my jump-gate construction ships are ready, at which point I can send my fleet to combat the Swarm.

eklektyk

Erudite
Destroid said:
More reaching!

just lost my PERFECT shiny brand new 5 battleships to som 20 FACs
no enemy kills...

wondered why the I cant shoot anything afterwards...

forgot too fucking mount SENSORS [any fucking sensor]

conclusion: newer design ships when really tired..[5X28 kt worth of minerals PUFF]

well back to designing stuff to die...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This thread keeps being awesome. Seriously, just reading about the space combat reminds me of hard sf novels and (as Phelot mentioned) battles like Jutland. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

Ashery

Prophet
eklektyk said:
Destroid said:
More reaching!

just lost my PERFECT shiny brand new 5 battleships to som 20 FACs
no enemy kills...

wondered why the I cant shoot anything afterwards...

forgot too fucking mount SENSORS [any fucking sensor]

conclusion: newer design ships when really tired..[5X28 kt worth of minerals PUFF]

well back to designing stuff to die...

Heh, made the similar mistake of neglecting to put in power generators on a beam warship when running some tests. Fortunately, it was in an SM game that I was using as a proof of concept for an idea I had before dropping decades of time into it in my actual game.

Man, mineral shortages are a bitch. Made the mistake of using a geosurvey team on Earth right at the beginning and wound up only finding 100k Sorium and increasing its accessibility from 0.9 to 1. So nearly two decades into the conventional start and I'm sitting on a nearly depleted Earth and my only real production for some of the core material (Neutronium and Corundium) is coming from asteroids that'll only supply me for another half decade or so.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Just an update on the civilian shipping lines, as it'll take six months to build a jumpgate and this is a one thing where you cannot mass several ships to speed up a process.

Anyway, as of 23rd November 2039, there are 4 civilian shipping lines:

RqVJs.jpg

eklektyk

Erudite
Ashery said:
eklektyk said:

Heh, made the similar mistake of neglecting to put in power generators on a beam warship when running some tests. Fortunately, it was in an SM game that I was using as a proof of concept for an idea I had before dropping decades of time into it in my actual game.

Just lost whole FAC wing [same place only more than before 3x went to 112] thats 16x2500t ....
fucking attrition warfare :)
got me some 4 aliens[ 800t ....] my fire controls and missiles are aparently shit to shit to shit or maybe even more...

ps. They bleed....

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You lucky dog!

And yeah, consider that most of those 146 ships are just travelling between Earth and Mars, with occasional visits to Mercury. Lot of traffic there!

My Gen3 missiles are developed: (improvement)

SS-N-3/8
Speed 18,000 km/sec (+7000)
Range 48.2 million km (+7 mil km)
Manoeuvring rating 28 (+5)

SA-N-3/8
Speed 22,800 km/sec (+11,200)
Range 7.7 million km (+5.1 mil km)
Manoeuvring rating 35 (+8)

The improvement has been linear - so each Gen has better engine, warhead and handling than their predecessor. This time I also increased the amount of fuel stored, which really increased the range on both but made the improvements on other sectors smaller. Largest contribution is the warhead - as the more effective warhead materials allow me to further miniaturize the warhead, freeing up space for engine, handling and fuel. Thus the effective warhead has remained the same in all generations (1 for SA and 9 for SS).

Why am I sticking with number 9 for the ship-to-ship missiles? Because of how armour penetration works with missiles:

Aurora Wiki said:
The most efficient warhead damage for armor piercing compared are as follows:
1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100... (Square numbers) etc.
For the exact amount of squares pierced, compare to square numbers. Take for example, 3x3, or 9. The damage on impact will be 5-3-1 for each layer of armor from the first to the third.

Eventually I'll have to move from 9 to 16 or 25, if aliens up-armour their ships enough but for now, penetrating three layers of armour with a single missile is enough.

Ashery

Prophet
While there may be tons of material on Venus, the accessibility is, unfortunately, fucking terrible. You'd be better off splitting the mines up onto planets that have the resources you actually need at high accessibility.

Just had a lucky find on Titania that bumped its Duranium from 7000 to 207000 (0.9), so I'll be able to setup shop there with ~50 mines and have a steady supply of material coming in (143k Neutronium at 1 as well as at least a hundred thousand of Sorium, Vendarite, and Uridium, all at excellent accessibility. Of those four, I currently have shitty access to all but Sorium).

How much did you subsidize the shipping companies, Gar? Mine haven't really expanded their shipping capacity since they first came into creation, and it's a pain in the ass waiting for four low end freighters to ship infrastructure to Titan. It was made worse when I decided to recently throw'em another 1k subsidy and they decide to build another fucking useless colony transport instead of a freighter. Once I get my next generation freighter out I'll obsolete the fucking colony ship, subsidize at least 20k, and hope they at least triple their capacity.

Destroid

Arcane
I use a fleet of asteroid miners to fill holes in my production. Venus is mostly good for the Duranium (you need tons of the stuff) the rest is gravy.

Ashery

Prophet
Will be doing the same with asteroids once I can devote the 5k RP to research it. Along with devoting one of my commercial shipyards to producing'em for several years. And I know the feeling with resource shortages, but damn does it hurt to devote so many mines for a single mineral with 0.7 accessibility.

Another irritating bit is that, after getting twenty fucking scientists, I don't have a single one with a sensor specialty. Still a few years out from getting military tech, so there's still some time for one to join, but damn will that be a bitch if I don't get one soon.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I subsidized the first one with about 5k and the second one with 2k - they grew pretty slowly at first but after Mars dropped to 0 colony cost, ie was fully terraformed, they boomed like there's no tomorrow. Apparently the cargo and logistics and trade between Earth and Mars is gigantic - there's now almost 201 million people living on the Red Planet - that's a market bigger than Japan so makes some sense, I guess.

And yeah, 0.7 Duranium isn't anything to sneer about, especially as its so easy to get it to Earth, versus asteroid mining in outer systems and ferrying the stuff back to Earth.

Ashery

Prophet
Finished the fifth level of the academy around a year ago and the sixth is about to come online in six or so months. It's been a fairly low priority issue as I'm swimming in commanding officers that get dismissed after six years. I've just had shitty luck when it comes to scientists with a sensor specialty (I have tons of amazing scientists in other important areas, just not a single sensor one).

Ah well, better short on sensors than construction. Might even need to research the +20% civilian economy shortly as research is getting pretty damn expensive (45.6% of my expenses this month, with another facility coming online every six months).

Oh, and is the amount of wealth created by financial centers independent of the population of the planet they're on (Barring worker shortages)? Wondering if those'd be worthwhile to ship to Mars once I finish terraforming Titan and engineer a new cold resistant strain of humans (Still several decades out).

Destroid

Arcane
Wow - I hadn't quite realised how the research bonuses work. The x4 specialty multiplier is applied to the scientists bonus, so a 10% scientist is really 1.4x rate and a 50% scientist is 3x rate O_O

Take advantage of those high percentage guys when you have them, even if that field isn't your highest priority. Just my luck that my only 60% scientist is for logistics and ground combat.

Ashery

Prophet
Heh, my 50-60% bonuses are a big part of what's fueling my expansion at the moment.

One thing that's bugging the hell out of me is that commercial shipyards are bugged and only working at half the base annual build rate no matter how large of a ship they're working on. For those that are unaware, the base ABR is modified based upon the relative size of a ship compared to the 5000ton baseline. A ship that's 2500tons would use 75% of the base ABR and a 10000ton would use 150%. The only way for the effective build rate to reach half, as commercial shipyards are now doing, is to have a size zero ship.

Seeing my fucking tug take seven god damn years to complete has gotten me to break my addiction...at least for the time being.

Oh, and Duranium crashes are fun. Having Earth drop from 0.8 to 0.4 accessibility when it's still my primary source has hit my expansion pretty hard. Thank god I have 26 labs up and running and a scientist with a 60% bonus to construction.

Destroid

Arcane
I only have 61 labs in the year 2083! Mercassium has been tight all game.

A workaround is to make all your important ships military vessels. Although I'm playing without maintenance, I found the micro load really irritating.

Ashery

Prophet
Heh, designating 68k ton asteroid miners as military vessels would be a bitch. I could bypass it a bit by designating some industry to mass produce commercial engines to cut down on build times, but I've got a rather significant backlog of industry construction to do (I consider only 30% of my industry output to be discretionary as I have 37% going towards automated mine conversion and another 33% towards research labs). And not only that, but I'll be needing to use spare industry output to produce some rather massive orbital habitats so that I can build up a 2-5mil workforce on a planet with a colony cost of 24.7 (And an unmodified greenhouse factor of 16, ie decades of terraforming to have *any* impact on the temperature) that'll house my final sector command. Then again, those massive orbital stations would cost about as much as just building the extra sixteen fucking levels I'd need if I continue to use Sol as my primary sector command. But then again, that planet *also* has over nine million Duranium at 0.9...God damnit...

I actually got really fucking lucky with Mercassium on Venus. While it initially had 24mil at 0.1 accessibility, it ended up with an accessibility of 0.8. Pity they couldn't do the same with the Corrundium (also 24mil, 0.1), but I'll take what I can get.

Haven't found maintenance supplies to be too much of a micromanagement load, but I'm still fairly early in the game and most of my ships tend to run low on fuel long before maintenance supplies.

Funny thing is, if an aggressive NPR decided to pay me a visit, I'd be dead in an instant as I'm completely unarmed at the moment, heh (Almost starting my 22nd year from a conventional start).

Destroid

Arcane
Aging military vessels is what does it, especially those containing big systems, usually your sensors, that chew up a lot of supplies if they break.

Cassidy

Arcane
Destroid said:
Aging military vessels is what does it, especially those containing big systems, usually your sensors, that chew up a lot of supplies if they break.

That's why you should design ships with lots of engineering spaces, and overhaul them when they start getting past the design estimated lifetime between overhauls. I like having vessels that get, according to the stats, at least 7 years between each overhaul. Also doesn't removing it also apply to the AI? Or is the AI in this game given "cheats" in these regards?

eklektyk

Erudite
still having fun ...

finaliy build battleship that gots all wat it needs and performs well

nothing beats finiszing battle with quad laser aa defence coz U flushed all missiles playng cat and mous allover the system :salute:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Updatan!

No epic battles, sorry but the empire has grown so it's time to show some progress off:

It is now the year 2041 and Jumper Charlie, my third survey TF, just jumped into a new system, named Eta Cassiopeiae. Very interesting looking binary system - the main star is classed G0-V, meaning it's one-and-a-half times the size of Sun, though only slightly higher mass and slightly lower luminosity. However, the companion is a K7-V class star, slightly larger than Sun, though with lower mass and luminosity. This means that the system is quite weird - usually binary/trinary systems have dwarf stars instead of two main sequence ones. The companion takes whopping 464 years to complete a single orbit and is 71 AUs from the main star. There are seven planets orbiting the main star - three gas giants, one Pluto-style chunk and three terrestrial worlds, two of which are fairly easily colonizable! The third planet has a temperature of 44.7C, gravity of 0.65 and mostly Nitrogen atmosphere, though with large amounts of both Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide! Though, just like Mars, it is a dry, desert planet. The fourth planet is a frozen hellhole, with slightly worse gravity and its atmosphere is 82% Helium with 18% Hydrogen, which needs to be pumped out before real colonization. Luckily it has extensive ice sheets (63% of the surface in fact) so warming it up will be relatively trivial operation. So after few years of terraforming, we'll have the perfect tanning planet and a luxurious ocean resort, next to each other. Tourism board will go bananas.

Not to be outdone, the companion star has plenty of friends too - six planets all together. A single Super-Jovian, two gas giants, single chunk and two terrestrial planets, both worth terraforming - one already having liquid oceans. Put together, the system also has 113 asteroids and dozens and dozens of moons on the various planets. Rich find!

However, there's a little wrinkle in all this:

PYoxO.jpg

Wreck of 109,350 tons!!!!!!!

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

Okey, so my shipyards are just about able to pump out civilian ships of the same size so this could be a gigantic terraformer or asteroid miner or something.

Anyway, I'll take the risk and send my GEV and GSV out to see what they can find. It's very probable that there's existing, intelligent life in this system, with such nice looking planets and all.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh yeah, here's the current galaxy map:

WoK5T.jpg

The orange/gold lines between systems means that I've built jump gates, enabling easy travel. Priority is allowing fast access to high value planets, future colonies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom