Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's say I want to play Morrowind...

Verlox

Novice
Morrowind2009-03-2212-43-19-55.jpg

Morrowind2009-03-2212-42-19-81.jpg

WhiskeyWolf said:
If I install point from 2 to 5 will the game work?
As the Admiral said, yes. Using them myself.

Chefe said:
Ugh... Better Bodies and face mods... well... if you want the NPCs to look like fantasy barbie dolls and use Morrowind as sub par wanking material...
Maybe the original models have a little more personality, but you are exaggerating here.

Also, I forgot to add Better Clothes, in case it isn't mentioned in jimbob's guide:
http://www.psychodogstudios.com/betterc ... .php?mod=0

Here's a texture replacer for the above mod:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=7401

Unfortunately I haven't found anything similar for armor, which is a shame because Morrowind has some nice and original armor sets that are unusual for a fantasy RPG.

bhlaab

Erudite
Morrowind doesn't need as many mods as oblivion does. In fact, you could probably play with none since most of the best mods are based on personal preference or convenience.

The only kind of mod I'd say you NEED is something to take care of the cliff racer population

KreideBein

Scholar
bhlaab said:
The only kind of mod I'd say you NEED is something to take care of the cliff racer population

Yeah, getting rid of the cliff racers makes the game a lot more enjoyable. Having to stop every ten seconds to fight off a hoard of the fuckers gets obnoxious very quickly.

Anyway, I'd recommend using a mod to increase the amount of Magicka you get per point of intelligence (normal is Magicka=Intelligence*2). The default amount is pretty pathetic and makes magic-based characters much less useful than melee characters, as 200 Magicka (maybe up to 250 or so with constant effect items) is enough to cast two or three powerful spells before you become totally impotent.

Also make sure to get GCD. The normal ES character system is arguably the worst in any RPG to date (though MW wasn't as bad as OB in that regard), and GCD makes it much more enjoyable and much less awful. It might also take care of the Magicka issue, though I can't recall how it handles Magicka calculations right off hand.

bhlaab

Erudite
Instead of that, I'd say get Magicka Regeneration. One thing Oblivion got right, anyway.

Also Tireless Running which makes running not degrade fatigue because its a huge pain the ass instead of a genuine gameplay challenge.

Graphical Herbalism is nice. Instead of harvesting plants opening a container and making oyu drag the ingredients to your inventory, it turns it into "point at plant, click". Another thing Oblivion did right.

Other than that, all I can really recommend are some graphical enhancers, texture packs, and the morrowind graphics extender

Chefe

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
Chefe said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Don't use the morrowind graphics extender unless you're prepared to mess with the HDR shaders. Don't use distant land, as it makes the world seem tiny (like Oblivion!) and it makes the water look incredibly ugly (default Morrowind water is beautiful - be sure to turn on the pixel shader!) along with playing hacky sack with your framerate.

Yeah, uh, check out the more recent versions. It solves all of those complaints.

Nope. You can download water replacers to make it look slightly better, but the water is still this incredibly solid blue and is no replacement for the default water.

It looks as good as or better than the default water for me, I'll take screenshots if I can be bothered (I can't)

I do agree about it making the world seem too small, though, so on reflection I'd probably advise against it for a first playthrough.

Well if you cannot be bothered then you have no proof. Saying it looks as good or better than the default water is insane. The fact that MGE water cannot touch the default water is probably the only complaint of MGE.

Luzur

Good Sir
Children of Morrowind, that mod that does lights in wondows (illuminated inside?) that Cats mod, the one that makes the cities bigger and adds more population.

dammit i forgotten the names of alot of the mods i used last time i played Morrowind. (which is like, 4-5 years ago)

and also Tamriel Rebuilt, if they finish their damn mod.

Fine. Point out to me where the default water changes to the MGE water in these screenshots, because I really can't see it.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ ... nshot1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ ... nshot3.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ ... nshot5.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ ... nshot7.jpg

Or does MGE change all the water instead of just the distant stuff? I can't remember what it looked like last time I played.

Oh, another recommendation; LGNPC (Less Generic NPC project). Seriously. Some of the new dialogue is of rather arguable quality, but stuff like LGNPC Ald-Ruhn and Pax Redoran breath an amazing amount of life into the game and the characters.

bhlaab

Erudite
I've noticed a seam where the LOD water hits the closeup water but that's pretty much it

Chefe

Erudite

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Stop giving me those fucking planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com links. They are worthless for someone who isn't and won't register there.

Becuse my level of google-fu is not enough to get those files, please help:
- Leeloo's Changing Faces + Add-on
- Tireless Running

bhlaab

Erudite
WhiskeyWolf said:
Stop giving me those fucking planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com links. They are worthless for someone who isn't and won't register there.

Becuse my level of google-fu is not enough to get those files, please help:
- Leeloo's Changing Faces + Add-on
- Tireless Running

tesnexus.com is alright, but sorry to say planetelderscrolls is the best place for morrowind since it was the big website when morrowind first came out

WhiskeyWolf said:

Just register. It takes all of five minutes and you'll have access to the biggest mod repository around; like bhlaab said, Morrowind Summit was the big website in Morrowind's early years, and Morrowind Summit's entire database was moved to PES.

Oh, damn, I forgot how it looked otherwise. Yeah, that's... a bit better.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Just great, the MGE doesn't want to start giving me an error message (0xc0000135). I patch it as I was told, what does this thing want from me.

Mackerel

Augur
You did install all the required extras right?
.NET 2.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
DirectX 9.0c

As for mods: LGNPC, Morrowind Comes Alvie, TLM - The Lighting Mod, Tamriel Rebuilt, and Passive Healthly Wildlife are good choices.

I would agree about the plastic look of the MGE water as well, but I think it's worth it for all the extras MGE gives you, and if you use Phal's water shader it doesn't look half bad.
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/696/water1.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5017/water2.jpg

The main place where MGE water lacks is when it rains, those ripples are pathetic:
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8103/rain.jpg

As for seeing too far, you can easily set a low draw distance, 2 or 3 cells, so that you don't have infinite visibility.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Thanks Mackerel, my directx was a bit to old.

The links to "Tireless Running Mod" on PES are broke for me.

Eldritch

Scholar
This thread inspired me to reinstall M-Wind and follow the steps in that website Jimbob posted. I loved the alien feel of Morrowind but I've never bothered long enough to replay it powered by shit tons of mods.

Question: Which one of the "better heads" mods just improves on the existing ones with more detail and better textures instead of adding generic, semi-anime barbie girl doll faces with the fabulously flowing hair styles every single one of them made by another species of bioware forum women? I'm not looking for beautiful elves, I WANT a lot of them to look butt ugly just like in the original game. It was a nice touch, I already like the Morrowind feel different from the confines of high fantasy.

Eldritch said:
Question: Which one of the "better heads" mods just improves on the existing ones with more detail and better textures instead of adding generic, semi-anime barbie girl doll faces with the fabulously flowing hair styles every single one of them made by another species of bioware forum women? I'm not looking for beautiful elves, I WANT a lot of them to look butt ugly just like in the original game. It was a nice touch, I already like the Morrowind feel different from the confines of high fantasy.
From what I've seen, Better Heads itself has its share of normal looking faces. I didn't get the impression that Vvardenfell has been repopulated by beauty contest winners.

By the way, I've just tried the texture pack from jimbob's guide:
http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/file/ ... ined;56241
Nice. Much better quality and no noticeable FPS hit (Tried it on a notebook, my GPU is a GF 8600M GT).

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Admiral jimbob said:
Man up, scrimp and save until you can effort to enchant an exquisite shirt with Constant Effect Restore Fatigue.
You can actually do that? Then everything is ok.
By the way, I've just tried the texture pack from jimbob's guide:
http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/file/ ... ined;56241
Nice. Much better quality and no noticeable FPS hit (Tried it on a notebook, my GPU is a GF 8600M GT).
Yeah, that site is awesome.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Man up, scrimp and save until you can effort to enchant an exquisite shirt with Constant Effect Restore Fatigue.
You can actually do that? Then everything is ok.

Yep. It'll be a while before you can do it, though; to do a Constant Effect enchantment, you need a soulgem with the soul of a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper, very high-level monsters. Also hideous amounts of money, but there's not much else to spend it on after level 10 or so.

Eldritch

Scholar
Guys, the Patrick Stewart Portrait Pack is your first priority in the download order. The Female Patrick Stewart plugin has to be installed afterwards. There is also another pack which turns every NPC in Vvardenfell into Patrick Stewart. The Patrick Stewart Wildlife Mod is still under construction.

2particks2.sized.jpg

patrick3.sized.jpg

2patricks_side.sized.jpg

Eldritch

Scholar
The Vanished One said:
From what I've seen, Better Heads itself has its share of normal looking faces. I didn't get the impression that Vvardenfell has been repopulated by beauty contest winners.

Thanks, "Better Heads" it is then. I couldn't find a lot of screenshots sampling the graphical changes but some of the links to the portrait bundles I followed from here sure gave me a bad impression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom