Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's reach out to the truth in Persona 4! - Archive links on page 28

Who shall we romance

• Nobody

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Satonaka Chie (kingcomrade)

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Amagi Yukiko (kingcomrade)

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Shirogane Naoto (kingcomrade)

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Ebiharra Ai (kingcomrade)

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Kujikawa Rise (kingcomrade)

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Matsunaga Ayane (kingcomrade)

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gotta say I'm enjoying this thread a lot, great Lp and great side-talk with good & friendly posters.

Thanks for starting this and keeping updated one of the hardest LP ever Mr. Hirato, hope you can keep it throught the end. :salute:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
0001.jpg

Amusingly enough there's still a 4 in the background...

In hindsight, I probably should've gone out fishing today.
From today onward you can fish at the Samegawa river.
We'll take care of that tomorrow though, there's nothing else to do outside.

0002.jpg

casual_chie.png

Now that Yukiko's with us, I think it might be good for her to get some experience being in that place...
Just give us a call if you want to go. See ya!

We'll do that tomorrow... I decide to finish off the batch of origami cranes.
Considering exams are comnig up, you may wish to study instead, you are rewarded for doing well.

0003.jpg

> Your inspiration cheers you up, and you begin working on making cranes with just one hand!
> The bundle of cranes has been completed!
> As a reward from the volunteer association, you received Antibiotic Gel

The item restores 200HP to a single target

0004.jpg

Nanako's greeting message differs based on what you did during the time period before, quite a nice touch.

0005.jpg

With nothing better left to do, I head to bed early; you should probably spend some time studying if this is your first time through.

0006.jpg

yukiko.png

Good morning.

0007.jpg

yukiko_wince.png

Every time it rained while I was "over there," you must have been...

yukiko_surprise.png

---Oh, I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be gloomy.

0008.jpg

Ryotaru said he'd get the 4th and the 5th off from work, there are no plans for the 3rd. We can probably safely leave preparing our bentou for the evening...

yukiko.png

It looks like we're going to have clear skies all week.
It'll be nice if it could stay peaceful like this, but the mystery hasn't been solved yet.
Perhaps we should visit "over there" once in a while so we can become stronger.

0009.jpg

morooka_angry.png

Your duty is to study! You don't have time to foll around, alright!?
Especially the girls! Those skirts are too damn short! Are you that desperate for attention, or what?
You girls are giving the school a bad reputation! try being modest for a change!

Yeah, go turn into gossiping housewives, pshaw!

morooka_angry.png

And for the guys, remember, the "greatest virtue" is attainable by those who suppress their worthless desires!
I don't think Descartes was entirely right, but I'm sure the idea of "virtue" is completely lost on you dumbasses!
Next order of business! Midterms are coming up next week! The results will be posted to humiliate low-scoring losers!
If you don't want to be shamed, study hard! It's that simple!
If you do well, who knows!? You may become a more popular cretin! And you know, popularity leads to intimacy!
On top of that, my reputation goes up. It's a win-win situation, people! Like I said, study hard!

I told you, that you are well rewarded for doing good... Clearly good grades are the key to building a harem, harem anime protagonists can learn much from Morooka-sensei :salute:

> You listened to the lecture intently...
> Your knowledge has increased.

0010.jpg

We first take a detour to the riverbed...

<Old man> When I was younger, I used to spend more time haulin' fish in than I did sittin' with my hook in the water, but now...

0011.jpg

<Old man> Ho ho! I'll lend you some of my fishin' gear, then.
<Old man> Let me tell you, fishin' is hard work. You you need is Diligence.
<Old man> You can still fish without Diligence, o'course, but you'll get pretty darn tired of it quick.

To summarise, you can fish once for every rank of diligence you possess. Reeling in the rod before a fish grabs the wait does not consume the bait or one of your attempts

<Old man> ...Oh, well. Here's a Fishing Set. I'll give you ten of these here Baits, too.
<Old man> Fishin' in the day is fun, but night fishin'... That's just stylish.

Hint: You can catch better stuff at night, and even better stuff when it rains

<Old man> Do whatever you want with the fish you catch. If you don't particularly want 'em, I'll trade good stuff for 'em.
<Old man> Good luck, boy.

0012.jpg

<Timid female student> To be honest... I haven't been able to sleep lately. i'm afraid of so many things out there...
<Timid female student> But if i had some sort of charm, I could calm down and actually rest... I think.
<Timid female student> Like an Angel Statue, or something... I get the feeling that it could protect me...
<Timid female student> Someone from the city like you should know where to get one of those, right?
<Timid female student> O-Of course, I'll repay you!
<Timid female student> Umm... How about I trade you my old good-luck charm for it? It's a key.
<Timid female student> I don't know what it's a key TO, exactly, but it seems like it could be worth a lot.

> Accepted Quest 01: "Acquire an Angel Statue"
You can never have enough chest keys...

0013.jpg

<Male student> All right! Well, what I want you to do is...
<Male student> Do you know that girl from our class who always goes up to the roof?
<Male student> ...I want you to go see what she's up to. No! Th-That's not what I meant!
<Male student> I, uh... I just wonder what she does up there, that's all. Think you can ask her for me? Like, what's her hobby...

> Accepted Quest 03: "The Girl on the Rooftop"
Sure thing Romeo.

transition.png

0014.jpg

kuma.png

How can I help out?
...I forgot to tell you!
For some reason, I feel a powerful Shadow in the castle.
Maybe this world is getting unstable from people going in and out...

kuma_sad.png

I don't think this shadow is related to the culprit, but I don't like it being here.
I'd be happy if you could defeat it for me.

0015.jpg

First we head to the liquor store, where we pick up a unique weapon for Yosuke.
I thought I accepted another quest too that required me to pick up some sake, seems not...

0016.jpg

We then head to the castle... We unfortunately need to start again, the first 5 levels are an absolute chore now as I can just "rush" everything to death in under 5 seconds without depleting any of my resources; the transitions between combat and the dungeon take far longer than that!
I do want some better gear for when the next dungeon crops up though...

kuma.png

0017.jpg

Level 1

Loot
1x Vanish Ball
1x Chest Key
1x Soul Drop

We move up to Level 3...

0018.jpg

0019.jpg

Arcana Chance is a little minigame that is played after the shuffling/roulette/memory step where you may obtain a Persona.
You can choose not to play, but you must play the previous minigame to get access to this.
The particles in the background use the RNG, so by all means, abuse savestates if you don't like the outcome.

0020.jpg

Typically the cards spin around, but the Fool is an exception, a wild card you could say.
The fool can turn into a difference card of any orientation.
Fortune modifies the Luck of a random Persona, it increased Sandman's by 2.

0021.jpg

I think the empress affects your HP, I decline playing this round...

0022.jpg

One of my favourites. This card practically guarantees that every encounter will assign an Advantage to one party. In the upright position, we are the benefactors.

0023.jpg

Level 3
1x Vanish Ball
1x Life Stone
1x Hiranya
1x Fire Pin

0024.jpg

0026.jpg

Whoo! new abilities, and Chie gets an all-target Ice attack, whoo.
Against 3 or more enemies, the ma- attacks are far more efficient, especially if you want to abuse enemy weaknesses.

0025.jpg

This card modifies the strength of a random Persona. Sandman was once again the benefactor.
:rage:

0027.jpg

Level 4

1x Revival Bead
1x Tranquil Buddha
1x Ice Cube

0028.jpg

This card is my absolute favourite. In short getting it in the upright position will restore your party's SP.

0029.jpg

The Chariot modifies Agility of a random persona.
Sandman is once again the benefactor
:rage::rage:

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0032.jpg

The first encounter where I couldn't just rush them all to death without losing more HP than is desired...
It was... M-Majestic!

0033.jpg

Level 5

1x Life Stone
1x Talisman'

We finally make it to Level 6, and start to get some palatable experience from the encounters.
You'll generally want to fight monsters with a higher or comparable level to yourself, you'll get a pittance otherwise.

0034.jpg

My second favourite. We don't exactly benefit from it right now, so we don't play.

0035.jpg

More Personas...

0036.jpg

Not really a good card IMO.
When shuffle time pops up, it'll turn the empty cards into duplicates of the Persona cards selected for this instance.
The upside down version replaces them with penalty cards.

0041.jpg

In this example, all the empty ones turn into the "Pixie" Persona.

0037.jpg

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

0042.jpg

Level 6

1x Life stone
1x Snuff Soul
1x Revival Bead

0043.jpg

0044.jpg

Yeaaah!

0045.jpg

0046.jpg

The Magician Arcana mutates one of your skills.
Typically it does things like change zio into mazio and vice versa.
None of my Personas had a skill suitable for mutation.
It also dispelled the effect of the Sun Arcana. If you get a bad roll on the Arcana Chance (eg, reversed emperor), playing Arcana Chance again is your quickest bet at getting rid of it.
Keep in mind, you are taking a considerable risk when you gamble with some cards, eg Death.

0047.jpg

0048.jpg

One enemy caught me off-guard... only to miss, fall over and get finished off by an all-out-attack.
r00fles!

0049.jpg

0050.jpg

Level 7
1x Smart Bomb (100 non-elemental damage to all enemies)
1x Cool Beads
1x Soul Drop

0051.jpg

0052.jpg

0053.jpg

This fellow is the Contrarian King.
He opens up the fight with "Red Shield", which is quite inane - He bolsters his resistance to an element he already absorbs (fire).

Killing Blow is one attack hell use a fair bit, this one will hit you for about 1/3 of your health.
Next is Hysterical Slap, this can inflict rage and does 1-3 regular attacks (random) - enough to kill any of us in one strike.
Then is rampage. Which does a lot of damage to us all. He can easily wipe out the whole party, at full health, even whilst they're guarding, by using that ability.

So do yourself a huge favour, bring A Persona who can nerf his attack prowess (tarukunda?).
Better yet, equip a persona that is resistant to the physical affinity.
Physical Mirrors will also be of huge help, as will lowering his accuracy/evasion and defense.

0054.jpg

0055.jpg

We use wind, ice and physical attacks, ice prove to be most effective at present, wind was nullified.

0056.jpg

0057.jpg

I as waiting for red wall to expire before I tested for fire resistance.

0058.jpg

0059.jpg

When he gets a critical, he follows up with a skill that lowers everyone's defense. His already painful attacks are even worse now.
I revive him on my turn.

0060.jpg

Luckily he misses Yukiko, so we're okay for a turn

0061.jpg

0062.jpg

0063.jpg

0064.jpg

0065.jpg

We are probably about halfway at this point.

0066.jpg

0067.jpg

He used Rampage and killed us all, bugger...
I have an earlier save state around, so let's try that turn again and see if we can poll the RNG a bit differently, so he doesn't use Rampage...

0068.jpg

The true face of determination! :smug:

0069.jpg

0070.jpg

0071.jpg

0072.jpg

Yosuke was at full health before the enemy's turn - Hysterical slap is absolutely lethal to us at this point in time.

0073.jpg

We also lower his defense.. I currently lack a skill to reduce his attack power :(

0074.jpg

0075.jpg

0076.jpg

Welp, lost cause, restore...

0077.jpg

0078.jpg

I instruct everyone to guard this time... and then we die.... restore!

0079.jpg

0080.jpg

Welp, another lost cause, restore.
Save states are awesome...

0081.jpg

we're about 80% of the way at this point...

0082.jpg

0083.jpg

0084.jpg

He kills Chie in one fell swoop...

0085.jpg

0086.jpg

Yosuke deals the final blow...

> You have defeated a mighty enemy...
> Your Courage has increased.

0087.jpg

Soon... we will get rampage for ourselves....

0088.jpg

0089.jpg

0090.jpg

You'll generally find a unique item at the place of the dungeon's respective bosses. It's a laudable improvement so I equip it on Yukiko.

I opt to take the long way back, mostly to fight some additional shadows for additional loot. I really want some better equipment for the next dungeon...

0090.jpg

0091.jpg

0092.jpg

0093.jpg

Increased the strength of Yomostsu-Shikome

0094.jpg

0095.jpg

+2 to Angel's magic attribute

0096.jpg

0097.jpg

As previously mentioned, one of my favourites.
It reduces your HP to 1, it resets the dungeon, restores your SP, and teleports you outside.
This one is a terrible risk to gamble on though, I think failing reduces your HP to 1 and your SP to 0.

0098.jpg

0099.jpg

See!

0100.jpg

0101.jpg

We weal up and head back, as you can see, the dungeon is entirely reset too.

0102.jpg

0103.jpg

This card doubles the gold gained from fights temporarily.

0104.jpg

0105.jpg

0108.jpg

0110.jpg

0106.jpg

0107.jpg

I forgot what these two do, I don't recall being very fond of their effects though.

0109.jpg

I ran out of keys for the large chests... they've been giving me rather shitty loot too. 3x Cool beads...

Loot
1x Cool Beads
1x Snuff Soul

We head back home for today, should be plenty to get some decent armaments...

0111.jpg

<Announcer> The vehicle, which was abandoned at the scene, had been reported stolen by a local contractor.
<Announcer> Since the culprit was able to act quickly before the security guards arrived on the scene, the police have...

nanako_sad.png

Dad's late...

0112.jpg

nanako.png

Yeah... Yeah.

nanako_sad.png

...Okay.
...Alright.

nanako.png

He said to give you the phone...

nanako_sad.png

He can't take those days off.

0113.jpg

0114.jpg

ryotaru.png

Hello, Sorry, but I'm going to be late tonight. Make sure you lock up before you go to sleep.
And about that time off on the 4th and the 5th... One of the younger guys got sick...

0115.jpg

ryotaru_sigh.png

Sorry to spring this on you all of a sudden...

ryotaru.png

Um... How's Nanako holding up?
Would you mind comforting her for me? ...Thanks.
All right then, see you.

> You recalled that the midterms start next monday.
> Study...?

You probably should, as I and Morooka-sensei mentioned earlier, you are well rewarded for doing well in the exams. Your knowledge score isn't everything, but it plays a large part in deciding the final rank..

0116.jpg

chie_surprised.png

Y-You ate my nikudon...

shadow_chie_punk.png

You're going to pay for that!

Speaking of nikudon, I found this when I googled the word
http://memegenerator.net/instance/12430408

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This game looks challenging. It must be frustrating for non-save state console ;)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
But Hirato, how can you be prepared when the game offers no hint to the nature of the enemy bosses? This is kinda my hatred of JRPG boss fights that offers no hint nor forewarning of what might the encounter be. Leading to reloading a couple of times, just to see what would work; failing that, gamefaqs.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One thing I really hated in this game was how sometimes your whole day would be wasted by doing stupid stuff...but since it's not rare that I do the same thing IRL, I guess is just personal grudge. XD

This game looks challenging. It must be frustrating for non-save state console ;)
Yeah, it requires some grinding, but since I also enjoyed farming Personas to fuse I was usually at a challenging but doable lv.

BTW Hirako, are we gona do some mad fusions now? Wanna see a King Frost slaying them all! :D

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
As you yourself stated, trying and failing, you may have a point with the lack of hints though.
There's a savepoint right before the boss and this is an optional boss fight, so I don't hold it against the developers for not building my knowledge and expectations a bit.

Besides, can't we also argue that not knowing the best strategy to use for an encounter when you first come across it, also holds true for some of the more classic WRPGs?

BTW Hirako, are we gona do some mad fusions now? Wanna see a King Frost slaying them all! :D
Funny you should mention it (and misspell my alias).
The fusion system is probably the one area I didn't invest a lot of time or try to master.
I'll use King frost in the next dungeon (but only because you insisted), I already have one in my compendium

I'll just leave these here...
gsdx_20120118204121.jpg

gsdx_20120118204746.jpg

A finally, a most codexian demon...
gsdx_20120118205038.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
A fellow qucikload whore detected!

:bro:

"No hints about bosses weaknesses"?
Go back to Mass Effect series, RK-47-kun...

:troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Funny you should mention it (and misspell my alias).
The fusion system is probably the one area I didn't invest a lot of time or try to master.
I'll use King frost in the next dungeon (but only because you insisted), I already have one in my compendium
What? Its one of my favorite things in these games, creating cool Personas. I must have spent 1/3 of all my playtime blindly fusing them (fuck gamefaqs). But I never made a Hell Biker... :(

And I didn't misspelled your allias.....I...ahn...nicknamed you! :lol:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
001.jpg

Looks like we've got some nice weather for golden week...

002.jpg

003.jpg

Ohayou, Nanako-chan.

> Nanako's watching TV today, as usual.
> ...It sounds like someone's here.

004.jpg

casual_chie_smile.png

Oh, cool, you're home.
Hey, if you're free today, wanna go somewhere? Yukiko's coming, too.
How 'about you, Nanako-chan? Wanna come?

005.jpg

006.jpg

nanako_surprised.png

Huh? I-I can come?

casual_chie_smile.png

Yeah, Huh... of course you can!
> Nanako seems elated

> You decided to take Nanako out along with Chie and the others.
> Junes food court...
> You met up with Yosuke, who's still on the clock, and Yukiko, who finished her work back at the inn.

007.jpg

casual_chie.png

Where else is there to go?

nanako_smile.png

I love Junes!

008.jpg

nanako_sad.png

But we were supposed to go on a real trip somewhere.
We were going to make boxed lunches...

casual_yukiko.png

Wow! You can make boxed lunches, Nanako-chan?
> Nanako shakes her head.

casual_chie_smile.png

Oh, so you're the family cook? Pretty impressive, "big bro"!

nanako.png

Big... bro.

"Big bro" just sounds so awkward in English... Onii-chan on the other hand?
:love:

casual_yosuke_surprised.png

Whoa, you can cook? Well, you do seem to be great with your hands-- Um, never mind.

casual_chie.png

I-I'm a pretty good cook too, you know... Probably.
If you'd asked, I would've whipped up some boxed lunches as easy as pie. Yeah...

I'm certain they'd have a real kick to it...

casual_yosuke_worried.png

Uhh, lemme think about--No.

casual_chie_angry.png

What makes you think I can't cook!?
Let's have a cook-off and see for ourselves!

casual_yosuke_annoyed.png

My, my, doth the lady protest too much? And hey, I never said I cooked.

But I have this weird feeling... Like I'd win anyway...

casual_yukiko_smile.png

Ahaha, I can understand that.

casual_chie_surprised.png

What the--Yukiko!?

casual_yosuke_smile.png

Here, Nanako-chan can be our judge.
I bet we'll make something that ranks up there with your mom's cooking, Nanako-chan!

nanako.png

I don't have a mom. She died in an accident.

casual_chie_worried.png

Hey, Yosuke...

I-I see... Um...

casual_yosuke_worried.png

Sorry, I didn't know...

nanako_smile.png

It's okay.
Even if I don't have a mom, I have Dad with me.

blush_nanako_smile.png

...And now I have a brother, too.

nanako_smile.png

And I'm having a lot of fun today! I love Junes!

casual_yosuke.png

Y-Yeah? That's good.

casual_chie_smile.png

We'll play with you anytime you want, Nanako-chan!

casual_yukiko_smile.png

yeah, we should hang out more often.

casual_yosuke_smile.png

C'mon, Nanako-chan. Let's go get a soda!

nanako_smile.png

Okay!

009.jpg

casual_chie.png

Yeah, She makes me feel like I'm the little kid here.

casual_chie_smile.png

That's it, I'm gonna go get something for Nanako-chan too!

010.jpg

> Nanako gives you a carefree smile...
> You feel a faint bond forming between you and Nanako...

011.jpg

> You have established the Nanako Dojima Social Link of the Justice Arcana!

012.jpg

013.jpg

Not the best conditions for fishing... As previously mentioned the best fish come out when it rains, and at night.
This little minigame is really simple, though it's a bit tiring. It is quite literally "button mashing: the game."
The game will automatically cast the line for you, and you will need to press circle as a fish grabs the hook/bait. The only feedback you'll get of how big the fish is, is the intensity of the vibration in the controller.
Feel free to reel in and cast again if the fish is too weak for your liking, it won't consume one of your attempts or one of your pieces of bait.

014.jpg

Once you've got a fish onto your hook, you will need to mash circle to reel it in.
This can take quite a while for the bigger fish. The game will occasionally prompt you for one of the other buttons too - These will give you a sizable boost and bring you much closer to catching the fish.

015.jpg

Tiny... we can probably trade there for more bait...

016.jpg

Could've sworn I had a screenshot for one of the button prompts... I was a bit too slow to react so one of the fish got away; this cost me an attempt too. Perhaps the amount of times you can fish is best described as, you can consume up to n baits, where n is your diligence rank.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

casual_yosuke_smile.png

This might be kind of weird to ask after we hung out yesterday, but do you want to hang out again today?

023.jpg

casual_yosuke_smile.png

Sweet!
Oh, hey, why don't you bring Nanako-chan with you? Let's all hang out together.

024.jpg

casual_yosuke_smile.png

Nanako-chan sure loves this place.
The first thing out of her mouth when I asked where she wanted to go was "Junes!"

casual_kou.png

Who could blame her? This place has everything... It's like a storehouse of magic.
I can see why she likes it. Anyways, isn't she cute?
I have a younger sister too. I wish she was cute like Nanako-chan.

025.jpg

nanako_sigh.png

I-I'm not cute...

026.jpg

casual_kou_surprised.png

Oh, did I hurt your feelings?

seifuku_daisuke.png

Don't worry, you're not cute.

027.jpg

casual_kou_surprised.png

That's going kinda far...!

028.jpg

seifuku_daisuke_angry.png

I'm definitely not stupid... I think I'd know if I was!

casual_yosuke_wince.png

"Definitely not," eh...?

nanako.png

O-Onii-chan...
That TV is huge...

seifuku_daisuke_smile.png

I feel like if I watched sports on a TV like this, I'd get sucked into the screen.

029.jpg

C-C'mon... Like that could happen.

030.jpg

> It promises to be an entertaining day.

We're also told that our Social Links with Yosuke, Daisuke/Kou and Nanako are on the verge of ranking up.

031.jpg

I'd have spent some time with Nanako, but we can't do that yet... sigh...
I made 10000 yen from making the envelopes...

Majestic47

Learned
This game reminds me of the awkward resident-evil-esque game. Name escapes me. You can fish, eat stuff...talk with ppl while trying to solve murder case.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Which is why this game must be king over there...a school-based JRPG with dungeons, romances, fishing, monster collecting & fusing ? It's like the recipe to sucess.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
To help to reach the next page I leave this here:
http://megaten.aeriagames.com/
Try it at you own risk.:M
Looks interesting enough...its F2P but the reviews that I saw said no money is required. Also they praise the complex combat and ammount of stuff to do. But sure does look japanese as fuck...anyway, added to my "try someday.txt".

And holy shit, lv 97 is the cap? O.O

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
oh dear lord, that MMORPG I mentioned several pages back.
Is it any good or of the usual "glorified chatroom" variety?

Crooked Bee
I seem to recall a western game for the original PlayStation that was all about fishing...
I can't remember what it was called, I think it was "Big Bass" or something similar.

I've only played about 11 JRPGs, 6 of which were square-enix titles
2 of them featured fishing (Persona 4 being among them).
I'm probably not fit to comment due to inexperience, but I don't think the feature is quite as prevalent as you make it out to be.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
001.jpg

Today is supposedly Children's Day...

002.jpg

> You decide to go somewhere you don't usually go...

003.jpg

Oh gee... I wonder where we'll end up...
I pick the station so I get a free can of TaP...

004.jpg

> No one is around...
> It seems the next train won't be coming for a while...
> ......

005.jpg

:yeah:
> You decided to go somewhere else.

006.jpg

> The dusty shrine doesn't seem to be well-maintained...
> ......
> You decided to go home.

007.jpg

> You sense someone watching you...

008.jpg

009.jpg

> Does it live at the shrine...?
> The fox is staring at you...
> You notice an "ema" plaque in its mouth...

010.jpg

> The mysterious fox nudges the ema into your hand.
> It reads: "Please help Grandpa's legs get better. -Keita"
> The ema has someone's wish written on it...
> Why did the fox give this to you...?
> Upon closer inspection, you notice an unusually-shaped leaf stuck on the back of the ema.
> You don't recognise this leaf from the local plant life...
> Is this also the work of the mysterious fox...?
> The fox notices something and scurries off.

011.jpg

<Old man> Nobody lives at this here shrine.
<Old man> I come by to tidy things up once in a while, but lately my legs are so achy, I just can't do it.
<Old man> I've been tryin' to get this place up to snuff, but there just isn't enough money to go around.
<Old man> Well, I s'pose I'll pay my respects.
<Old man> If my legs don't heal, I can't maintain the shrine. That, and...
<Old man> ...I won't be able to visit Keita anymore. He's my grandson, y'know.

> You wonder if it could be the same Keita who wrote the ema...
You think? ... And what kind of person just goes up to a stranger and rambles on about their personal life?

> The ema said, "Please help Grandpa's legs get better..."

<Old man> Hmm!? What's that you got in your hand there? Could it be...!?
<Old man> That leaf...! That's it!
<Old man> Way back when, my grandmother always used to say a leaf shaped like that was the best kind of ache remedy out there!
<Old man> ah, what memories!
<Old man> But how'd you get your hands on this!? I didn't think you could find those in the mountains anymore.
<Old man> P-Please, young man! Can I trouble you to spare me that leaf!?

> You gave the old man the leaf that was stuck to the back of the ema.

> Ooh, this is it, this is it... Now let's see here...
> The old man stuck the leaf onto his leg...
:what:

<Old man> Oooh, I can feel it! It's working!
<Old man> Amazing! The pain I've been feeling for who knows how long--it just up and vanished!
<Old man> Hm...? Hrmmm...!? Why, I feel better than I have in years!
<Old man> You really helped me out, young man!

No problem, it's just one giant coincidence

<Old man> I'm so grateful! Now I can go visit my grandson!
<Old man> I'd better pay thanks to the shrine for bringing us together like this!

012.jpg

He's an absolute blur of motion... I honestly thought the game was in turbo mode for a moment...

> You marvel at the amazing results...
> Now only did it heal his aches, it even restored his vitality...

013.jpg

> It seems to understand that the wish on the ema has been granted...

014.jpg

> It even seems to understand that the shrine has received an offering...
> ......
> Perhaps you were given the ema with the leaf for that express purpose...

015.jpg

> It seems it has taken a liking to you...
> It has a mouthful of the same leaves as the one you gave to the old man...
> It seems the fox has a large stock of mysterious leaves with healing powers.

kitsune.png

*yip*

> The fox is looking up mirthfully...
> Is there something it wants from you?
> You cannot help but think how strange an encounter this is, as you realise a fox is showing you a pile of leaves...
> You feel a faint bond forming between you and the fox...

016.jpg

> You have established the Fox Social Link of the Hermit Arcana!

> Where does it find such amazing leaves...?
> You reflect how useful it would be to have this kind of help while exploring the "other side"...
> ......

kitsune.png

*yip*

> Does it understand your thoughts...?

017.jpg

That's cute and all, but... GET ON WITH IT!

> The fox gestures toward the offertory box...
> Is it offering its services for a price...?

kitsune.png

*yip*

> It seems the mysterious fox has agreed to aid you in your exploration...
> However, it appears that it will require a fee for its cooperation...
> You returned the ema to the shrine and went home.

018.jpg

> You decided to go home...

019.jpg

<Announcer> The alleged thief is Pumena Sushin, a 26-year-old former employee of the company which reported the stolen vehicle.
<Announcer> According to the police investigation, Pumena Sushin was...

ryotaru.png

I'm home.

ryotaru_sigh.png

*sigh* How many days is he gonna call in sick? Thee rookies lately sure are--

nanako_smile.png

Welcome back!

020.jpg

Ryotaru walks to his usual spot with a Junes bag...

nanako_smile.png

Oh, um, onii-chan and his friends played with me instead.

ryotaru_smile.png

I see... Thanks.

nanako_surprised.png

Oh, that's a Junes bag! What's in it?

ryotaru_smile.png

Haha, good eye. Well, today is Children's Day...
So I brought you a present.

nanako_smile.png

Yaaaay!

nanako_surprised.png

Oooh, a t-shirt.

021.jpg

It's adorned with a platypus.

ryotaru_smile.png

Haha, it took em a while to decide what to get you. You like it?

nanako_smile.png

Oh wow, there's a picture on the front! That's so funny! Ahaha, yay!

ryotaru.png

I got you one, too. Not that you're still a child or anything, but fair's fair.

022.jpg

023.jpg

Indeed, we're going to need it for the school camp!

ryotaru_smile.png

Don't mention it.

ryotaru.png

I thought you might need one soon.
Well then... let's eat.

nanako_smile.png

Okay!

024.jpg

> You spend a pleasant evening with the Dojimas.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I know it's the huge cultural conflict of Brazil & Japan, but man, I hate how cold those people are! No hugging, no kissing, no touching...I went to Japan in 2005 and cound't but feel bad for all the people there, especially the woman & kids.

If I was onii-chan, I would take Nanako to Junes every fucking day (and try to give her a better hobby too). :obviously:

Kuyeq.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crooked Bee
I seem to recall a western game for the original PlayStation that was all about fishing...
I can't remember what it was called, I think it was "Big Bass" or something similar.

I've only played about 11 JRPGs, 6 of which were square-enix titles
2 of them featured fishing (Persona 4 being among them).
I'm probably not fit to comment due to inexperience, but I don't think the feature is quite as prevalent as you make it out to be.

My, why so serious? I was kidding, actually, but now that I think of it... It is quite prevalent. Off the top of my head: Dark Cloud 1 & 2; Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess & Phantom Hourglass; Final Fantasy XII; Suikoden II, III & IV; Breath of Fire 1, 2, 3 & 4. The list probably goes on. :P So yeah, the Japs do love their fishing mini-game for some reason. Not that I think that's bad, mind you. Just something I find funny.

On the other hand, as far as WRPGs go, did any of them actually feature fishing? I wonder...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom