Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's reach out to the truth in Persona 4! - Archive links on page 28

Who shall we romance

• Nobody

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Satonaka Chie (kingcomrade)

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Amagi Yukiko (kingcomrade)

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Shirogane Naoto (kingcomrade)

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Ebiharra Ai (kingcomrade)

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Kujikawa Rise (kingcomrade)

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Matsunaga Ayane (kingcomrade)

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
tHchh.jpg

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd love to do an update, but I am unable to get any new screenshots at present.
I am in a bit of a dilemna...

A few months ago I accidentally nuked the 100MB recovery partition Windows 7's installer forces on you.
This has rendered Windows unbootable
My CD/DVD drive is coincidentally also broken, so I am unable to recover; even if I could Microsoft's bootloader will replace Linux's

That leaves me with wine, which I've been using for the vast majority of this LP.
But here's the problem, a not-so-recent batch of commits, specifically a bunch that claims to "Remove the big X lock" have caused the gsdx plugin to land on the wrong side of a context-section.
If that's too much techno-babble for you, in short the whole thing just completely locks up after a few seconds.

Then there is the native Linux version...
gsdx_20121004174342.png

:hmmm:

I suppose I could handle it in software mode...
But the crux of the matter is that it's slower, much buggier and not as pleasant as the Windows version, even when it's being run on a non-native platform.

meh, I'll let you guys decide...
Push forward with really crappy low quality screenshots, or wait for the wine guys to fix their shit?

EDIT: full-size software mode sample
gsdx_20121004175104.jpg

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Will the wine guys fix their shit? How much do you think we'd need to wait?
I for one am OK with the software rendered screens, but I can appreciate that the quality of the screenshots will suffer.
I'm only one of your readers. :salute:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I don't know. It's been fucked since mid-August.
I should probably go and double check that there's a bug report, could've sworn I did see one...

EDIT:
If it didn't exist, it does now.
please don't stalk me

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
How goes your assignments and stuff?
Well enough, but they'll likely keep me occupied until November 20, after which I'll have summer holidays for the next 3 months.
During this time I really need to find work as I'm literally broke in my current state, but I should have plenty of time to do updates.

Anyways, first, some good news.
My university recently had a large skip full of old computer stuff parked outside one of their buildings, I was able to scavenge a CD drive that can read DVDs (I'm not sure if it can write them, but it can write CDs).
This allowed me to use my Windows 7 disk to repair my Win7 boot partition which has remained mostly untouched since mid-May; the first thing Windows did after booting up was finalise some updates, and then 15 odd applications pestered me about assorted updates being available ( I can name all 15 too if you want), this took about 2 hours of active participation in the process. I'm rather impressed that recovery didn't nuke Grub, though. ( Thanks microsoft! <3 )

I wasn't able to find a workings means of recording videos with sound in Linux, so I'll be able to record the boss fights again; GLC came closest but the stream it recorded just crashed the playback application when called - I think it had sound. I also found plenty of applications that could record the video to my specifications, but not sound. Some of the cons of avoiding Pulseaudio, but with pulse around, there likely wouldn't be any sound to record anyway.

Now, the (really) bad news...
My xbox controller has become completely insufferable and made me abandon my playthrough of Nocturne near the end game. The analogue sticks return completely bogus values, the leftmost one more so.
I have tried to disable the analogue sticks and use the dpad only, and the result is anything but pleasant; Incidentally that's also why you'll never ever see me play the likes of Tekken with a controller (the analogue sticks! they do nothing!).
I put up with it for a bit, but I will not be able to tolerate it for more than a few levels of the next dungeon.

razer3.jpg
razer5.jpg

Trace of circular motions, the one of the right uses razer's "Enhanced sensitivity" mode.
And it's only gotten worse since...

So the short of it is, I have enough content for 2 updates, and I will not be playing further without a) a new wired controller not made by razer or, b) somehow fix it by opening it up fiddling around.
The problem with a is that I currently have no money.
The problem with b is that I've tried that once and only enjoyed short term success.
So after those two updates, this LP will be on temporary hiatus unless someone wants to take over.

Frankly I'm surprised they haven't done a complete and total product recall based on the downright shoddy lifetimes of the two controllers I had, 2 weeks tops and their analogue sticks flip out madly.
It probably explains why their warranty period is 1 year, their shit can't even survive not being used... bloody hell, we have 10 year old PS2 controllers here that still work perfectly!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Frankly I'm surprised they haven't done a complete and total product recall based on the downright shoddy lifetimes of the two controllers I had, 2 weeks tops and their analogue sticks flip out madly.
It probably explains why their warranty period is 1 year, their shit can't even survive not being used... bloody hell, we have 10 year old PS2 controllers here that still work perfectly!
You must have bad luck man, I've got a pair of wired xbawks controlers, around 6 years old, and they still work perfectly...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That's sad news. I've had similar problems with joysticks that spazzed out on me way before their warranty expired. Problem was that I didn't bother to make a fuss. It did throw a wrench in my enjoyment of the X-series though.

Looking forward to in a month's time, for the next update. :bro:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
summoning regulars: Azira lightbane felipepepe Agassi Crooked Bee

Quick Recap​

Music: Kerorin Magic

kuma_smile.png

Hello everyone! Since it's been a beary long time, sp we bring you an episode of Kuma's corner get you back up to speed! Kuma~!

kuma_surprised.png

Did you know we bears sleep through the winter?

kuma_blush.png

I never noticed since I always fell asleep around then, go figure!

016.jpg

kuma.png

I came into the real world after I got my Bearsona, I don't know why I didn't do so earlier.
I was a very sad and lonely bear over there...

049.jpg

kuma_smile.png

And Chie and Yukiko bought me these wonderful clothes. I couldn't ask for better friends, I'm such a happy bear! Kuma~!

068.jpg

kuma_smile.png

Whilst we didn't really learn anything new from Rise-chan about the murderer, Rise-chan joined our party!
I'll be fighting on the front-lines from now on, so keep an eye out for me! Kuma~!

kuma_blush.png

Rise-chan, i-If you like, you can brush my fur...

009.jpg

kuma_surprised.png

Sensei's got a new teacher at school too, what a cougar!

kuma_blush.png

I wonder if she strips... you know, that thing zebras have...

025.jpg

kuma_smile.png

Sensei and Chie-chan are together now too.

kuma_sad.png

I guess she won't need a beary stud like me...

kuma_smile.png

I wonder if Yuki--

s_yukiko_angry.png

Don't you dare bring that up again if you value your life!

kuma_sad.png

I'm beary sorry! Kuma~!

021.jpg

kuma_scared.png

Then this creepy kid appeared on TV... He's like a zombie... Kowai...!

kuma_angry.png

Sensei and the others worked beary hard to find out what they could about him, so we could begin the rescue operation.
We're right behind you Sensei!

Update 79​
All guys like games​
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

School goes as per normal, we feed the cat a bit more...
We then go to the shopping district, I've long forgotten what hint sent us hither, but one of Mitsuo's middle school "friends" can be found there.

004.jpg

<Student> You wanna see his picture?
<Student> Heh heh, you do, don't you?
<Student> Well, today's your lucky day, because me and my friends are going around showing it to everyone! Want a copy?

This is so whimsical and improbable, I don't even want to consider the odds.

005.jpg

> There is no doubt that the boy in the picture is the one you saw on the Midnight Channel...
> A name is written below the picture...
> "Mitsuo Kubo"...
> So this is the suspicious boy's name...
> You should report to Rise.

006.jpg

transition.png

Music: Backside of the TV

007.jpg

s_megane_yosuke_angry.png

That's him all right... It's definitely the guy on the Midnight Channel!
It's settled, then. He is the killer... and he's in here now!

s_megane_rise_sigh.png

This guy came to our shop before...
Was he... spying on me...?
Oh my God... I really was being targeted...

008.jpg

s_megane_kanji_angry.png

Dammit! Frickin' punk!

s_megane_chie_worried.png

Hey, I've seen him before too... Hmm...

s_megane_chie_surprised.png

Oh, now I remember!
Yukiko, it's that one guy!

s_megane_yukiko.png

That one guy...?

s_megane_chie_surprised.png

Back in April, remember!? He suddenly came and started hitting on you!

s_megane_yosuke_surprised.png

Oh, him! The dude who got served by Yukiko in front of the school!
Man, Chie, how'd you remember something like that!?

:rpgcodex: Hey! I didn't forget either, and I had 6 more months than you guys had to forget about it!

Well, that was the first time he talked to her, but I remember he was always following her around.

s_megane_yukiko_sigh.png

Um... Sorry, who are we talking about?

The dude who came right up to you at the school gates and called you Yuki!

s_megane_yukiko_surprised.png

Ohhhh...

s_megane_yukiko.png

Uhh... Really?

s_megane_chie_angry.png

Wait, did he kidnap Yukiko to get back at her for rejecting him!?

s_megane_yukiko_sigh.png

Um... I didn't really reject him...

s_megane_rise_sigh.png

He came up to me while I was busy working and asked, "Don't the biker gangs bother you?"
Just going on and on about how biker gangs can't do anything unless they're in a pack and stuff...
He seemed to be the type who just keeps talking, whether you like it or not... if that makes sense.
I usually treat those people politely so they don't get offended, but I was so tired that I kinda ignored him.
Was that why I was kidnapped...?

I saved you his diatribe, be grateful.
On a related note, the anime did a better job of making you dislike Mitsuo, they had him threaten Nanako at Junes.

nanako.jpg

> Everyone looks towards Kanji.

s_megane_kanji_surprised.png

Huh...? Wait, I'm not a biker!

s_megane_kanji_worried.png

Ugh... That damn special report... So that's why I got dragged into this.

You know, I heard he'd been saying stuff about that announcer's affair, too.
Lots of muttering about how women who cheat on their husbands should be executed.

s_megane_yosuke_smile.png

Sounds like it's all coming together...
Well, it's time for a showdown!

I think you're all jumping to conclusions...

s_megane_yosuke.png

Can you tell where this Mitsuo guy's at?

s_megane_rise.png

I'll give it a try. Just a sec...

010.jpg

s_megane_rise_angry.png

...Yeah, I found him!

011.jpg

s_megane_chie_smile.png

Alright, let's go!
We're so close to the killer... We can't lose him now!

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

What is this...? Some kinda game?

Well, he did taunt us, saying "Try and catch me"... I guess he thinks of all this as a game.

s_megane_chie_angry.png

Ohhh, this pisses me off! I hereby sentence him to a hundred kicks to the face!

015.jpg

s_megane_yosuke_smile.png

Gotta admit... All guys love games.

016.jpg

017.jpg

kuma_surprised.png

H-Hey, wait up!

018.jpg

> You have pinpointed Mitsuo's Kubo's location.
> All that's left is to reach him where he's waiting...
> You should prepare yourselves to find and apprehend him.

019.jpg

:troll:

つづく

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Somehow I have a soft spot for the Void dungeon. It may be because it's the only one which features any puzzles. Also, the retro style hits just the right spot. It also happens to have the most infuriating boss there is.

I envy your perseverence Hirato. There is still plenty of content to go through.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Oh alright, I suppose there's no harm indulging the audience, it's a combat centric update anyway.

Anyways, I remembered I have a really old sidewinder series gamepad around here somewhere.
Since the left stick and the dpad are more or less the same, and the right analogue stick is completely superfluous and can be replaced by the shoulder buttons, So P4's controls should map quite smoothly to it.
I'll have a quick play with it, if it's comfortable, expect more updates sooner rather than later.

Anyways, I'll prepare update 80, should be up in a few hours.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
No need to tag me, I'm watching the thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...to-the-truth-in-persona-4.68074/watch-confirm

It may be because it's the only one which features any puzzles
I had a bit of a rant about that last page. The short if it is that the SMT staples are just awful in Persona 4, and of the few puzzles there are, nearly all of them are insultingly trivial.

I'll quote some relevant parts http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...truth-in-persona-4.68074/page-20#post-2242914
There's absolutely no incentive to actually explore outside of a few levels in which you need keys and other trinkets to progress. The dungeons, while randomly generated are nothing special complex or unique - they're just rooms connected to corridors which are usually connected to more rooms; there's nothing interesting apart from the occasional chest (with relatively boring random loot) and the occasional shadow to fight and level up against.
The best method for dealing with Persona 4's dungeons is just to make a beeline straight for the stairs, which just goes against how I naturally explore dungeons.
Outside of a few (literally, only a few) handmade levels, there are no puzzles, no traps, no gimmicks, no tricks, no surprises, just no-thrills corridors and rooms with some loot.
As for the few handmade levels which do occasionally feature some sort of puzzle, they are almost insultingly trivial and the gimmicks (eg, in one level you get teleported back to the start if you fight a shadow) are relatively inconsequential. Nearly all of them are dispelled when you clear the level or beat the Boss - The one exception are the floor traps in one level which rotate both you and the camera.

Sides, you have far more influence over your character's development and that of your party than you do in Persona 4. In P4, your influence basically boils down to which skills everyone keeps and whether or not they unlock their true Personae (based on whether or not you max out their respective Social Links).
In Nocturne, you get to pick your stat allocations and skill progression, and this matter since they will massively affect how you'll approach the game after you've cleared the Shinjuku Medical Faclity.
Then there are your allies; demons, gods, fiends, and mystical beasts. You literally get to dominate their available skills (and they occasionally even change and mutate randomly) and who they are tailored to combat.
Your allies also level up much slower than you, and not to mention have a very limited selection of skills (akin to the protagonist's Personae), this basically encourages you to make constant use of the fusion facilities to better your companions. Created a naga? weak to fire? fuse it with something that has void-fire and viola, it's now immune to fire attacks! This is in stark contrast to P4 in which the fusion system is kind of just there to facilitate Margaret's Social Link.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
You guys asked for it...

Update 80​
Momentary Child​

001.jpg

s_megane_rise.png

I don't think it's related to the murders, but I still don't like it...
Let's go, Senpai! We should get rid of it!

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

I think this skill bolsters your defense.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

I forgot to introduce Himiko, Rise's Persona. It's purely back up and support with abilities such as "Reveals a random affinity of an enemy at the start of combat." Which makes Rise yell things like "Careful, those guys are weak to fire!"

009.jpg

010.jpg

We basically steamroll through the dungeon, nothing particularly interesting happens, and with my razer onza controller in its present state, avoiding pre-emptive strikes from the enemies is difficult, so I tried to avoid them where possible.
I do not like using dpad.

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

This is a "Momentary Child"

014.jpg

The observant among you will notice that Kanji and Chie have been exchanged.
There is a reason for that.
Anyways, it opens up with "Rebellion," which boosts its crit rate.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

I pretty much immediately discover it's weak to ice, this is why Chie's here.
I will promptly defeat it with cheese tactics, and you're going to read through the whole thing.

019.jpg

It takes almost no damage from Garula though, so I figure it's more worthwhile to send Yosuke in for phys attacks so he has a chance to crit.

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

I should've expected this, but this is a sign that it's about to follow up with a powerful and nasty attack.

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Remember how I said that it was gearing up for a strong attack? I didn't guard.

034.jpg

And now Brosuke is dead :(

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

After that last attack, I figure I should help keep our health up, I bought these for just that reason too.

039.jpg

3 turns have passed, its critical rate has reverted to normal levels.
Tarukaja is the attack buff.

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

An epic missing spree by all involved.
Roll dice 1d20: 1

045.jpg

046.jpg

Learning our lesson, everyone guards cowers.

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

Teddie uses Mediarama, level 2 group heal.

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

Perusona!

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

If I recall correctly, Assault Dive is a heavy hitting, single target, single-strike attack, hurts Yosuke plenty.
He looks to the gods for guidance.

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

Crit rate up again.

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

Again, we guard.

075.jpg

076.jpg

:smug:

077.jpg

078.jpg

Let's not question the validity of ice attacks causing an enemy to explode in a bloody mist.

079.jpg

080.jpg

> Your Courage has increased.

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

And we pick this up from the ground, I think I equipped it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
New Page!

I thought I'd try recalibrating my controller (again).
It didn't last 5 minutes, but so far it's much more pleasant to use than it was previously; direction other than RUN BACKWARDS seem to work at least.

Another set of Video updates are coming in, I recorded these at 1600x1200@30Hz, they're about 4 times as big and take 4 times as long to upload, weighing in a 6/7 hours each, so they'll be coming in gradually through the coming days.
There's a summary of "interesting times and events" at the bottom if you don't want to watch the whole thing, and as previously, turn on the "Annotations" if you want commentary..

Update 81​
Void Quest Part 1​

Interesting events.
12:40: We reach level 2
15:40: Drive space runs out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I apreciate your trouble Hirato, but I'm not a fan of video LP's... looking the pictures and reading your comments are way more interesting than sitting through 16 minutes of dungeon crawling... :(

15:40: Drive space runs out
Had a similar "issue" with Mount & Blade once, was derping around and taking screenshots with fraps, I hitted F10 to issue orders and it started recording 1080p video in my "for video work" HD... at the end of the day I had almost 2TB of me playing M&B... :P

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I apreciate your trouble Hirato, but I'm not a fan of video LP's... looking the pictures and reading your comments are way more interesting than sitting through 16 minutes of dungeon crawling... :(

If it's any consolation, this is the dungeon crawling stuff I would've completely skipped over otherwise, and which would've been entirely bereft of commentary lest I felt prosperous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom