Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's reach for the stars in Stellaris

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
List of chapters:

Chapter 1 (This post): In the beginning, there was the master race.
Chapter 2: Spreading phalic love
Chapter 3: Colonization

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the beginning, there was the master race.

Like so many beings in the galaxy, the Codexians began their existence as the masters of their own world - a tiny sphere of rock orbiting the blazing inferno of a star.

C9tOrKy.jpg

Ah yes... The betentacled codexians. After untold ages of infighting amongs tthemselves, they had perfected the science of launching phallic rockets at each other with alarming enthusiasm. It was not until they joined together in the Codexian Hivemind collective that they finally set their sights on the stars. But the stars are so very far away - further, even, than the next Grimoire superdemo. It was not until a brave codexian discovered the technology to create Wyrmholes - tearing the fabric of reality apart to allow their prosperous nation near-instant travel to distant world that the Codexian empire kicked off in earnest.

uZ8joXU.jpg

Having built their Wyrmhole generator at the outer edges of the Glittering Gem of Hatred around which codexia orbits, D'ark U'nderlord, Prime Despot of Codexia set about his peoples ambition to carve out a slice of the stars for themselves.

And in the year 2200, only the vague locations of promising worlds were known. Codexia was among the first worlds to be born, and as such it is situated near the outer rim of the galaxy.

e5v1ncf.jpg

The finest minds in the Codex set about their task of advancing their knowledge of what, exactly, constitutes an RPG. While the science fleet set about scanning the planets of the system.

cXdvaiy.jpg

The Underlord cares little for the comfort of his subjets. For every Moderating Codexian lucky enough to work in the laboratories or shekel stations, a hundred were little more than slaves working the brofist mines. The Hivemind consensus was that this was the natural way of things, and so no complaint was voiced by the masses.

b91F6g2.jpg

Meanwhile, Andhaira of the Grand fleet was tasked with initial mapping of all stars within Wyrmhole range

ZTpJqKQ.jpg

To speed things along, emperor D'ark u'nderlord instituted generous grants to Angthorons research of colony ships. This, coupled with D'ark U'nderlords proclivity for cheap orbital mines and Codexias ample supply of slave labour gave them a solid industrial base to expand with.
SnsMBDx.jpg

Science engineer Darth Roxor makes the first major discovery during his survey of the codexian home system. the Kodex Konstruktion Kruisers are immediately ordered to set up a mining operation :incline:
25fDS7l.jpg

And shortly after, first sign of Xenos! All science efforts are immediately turned towards determining the threat they pose
W7SPWNd.jpg

BjleAbG.jpg

40M7Esa.jpg

Studies revaled that these were not sentient xenos after all. A project was started to determine how to best exploit codexias new neighbours. Meanwhile, the codexian warfleet found signs of other xemoforms. It was decided not to shoot at them just yet while we study them.
7LFhwnN.jpg

lnE0Wam.jpg

2loyi20.jpg

Whispers of the Death of RPGs spurred the Codexians on in their search for the cause. In the short term, the Codexian Science ships continued making new discoveries at a remarkable pace. A secondary xeno race was identified.

HO2sQ7P.jpg

OisDXcB.jpg

C78Vfwn.jpg

jRA2RnJ.jpg

NAVleAU.png

Fortunately for them, codexians were kind and benevolent beings.
Research efforts soon paid out. The "Crystal Sonar" would speed up the mapping of new systems. Unfortunately, for Codexia, they were running at an energy shekel deficit and could ill afford to spend the credits to activate the sonar
C78Vfwn.jpg

Space Amobae studies yielded less specatular, but useful results
FDhPVGT.jpg

On a routine survey mission for things to mine, Hellraiser discovered the first traces of the Vultaum. Vibrating Wyrms said to have made the very first Wyrmholes.
J81bH31.jpg

And so, 2½ years into the reign of D'ark U'nderlord, this is what the codexian Empire looked like:

0pwZ56A.jpg

What should be the immediate focus (ie: what we spend our minerals on next) of the empire?

1) Colonize a surveyed world. This will expand our borders and empire. We already found 3 habitable, albeit small worlds.
Candidates are here:
idxv68g.png
Z7Id7mz.png
w0fdaEh.png
2) Skip colonies fo rnow. They are expensive to get going. Build an outpost to expand our borders and establish mining operations in surveyed star systems
3) The space is dark and full of terrors. Expand the codexian fleet and clear the Xenos out of unsurveyed systems with habitable planets before startign a colony

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
We don't want a prudent empire slowly expanding to inevitable victory. 3)!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

yeah, I'm playing this too. p cool. next time someone should take the list of forum users and stick that in the name gen for the codex race. And the city names should all come off the codex top RPG list.

tindrli

Arcane
Do we have colonisation tec? i didnt read everything above.

Colonize Hemtares III ASAP, bulid one or two hydrophonic there close to colony pod , and take that Constructor and start building mine stations spending every GP you have and few corvettes from time to time. Also design Strike corvette with one Medium mount point

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Colonisation tech is still 2 years away. The main difference 1 and 3 is that 1 will stockpile resources to fast expand after settling one of the 3 candidate worlds we found. 3 will try to clear out the slave fauna in the unexplored systems with habitable worlds in the hope of finding a better one. If we run into a giant space amoeba, we're not going to throw out fleet away just yet. If we can get a power surplus, we might go for crystal sonar scans too

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A djinn cursed you to post until the day I actually finish a let's play

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I promise if I get bored I'll at least insult some fallen empire so we get wiped out.

So far it's 1 vote for colonising what we already found and 3 votes for more warships and fighting whatever is in the systems with habitable planets. It's another 7 hours before I get home, so that is when voting will end. As with the first update, the shoutbox may be asked along the way what we should do if choices need to be made before the end of the update.

One thing we could consider is whether or not to institute the free thought policy. It will give us a very handy research boost in the short term. In the medium term, the influence cost will make it hard for us to recruit leaders or build outposts. And in the long term, the ethics divergence could cause splinter factions to rebel. I have to admit it's tempting to keep going for a free years though. Our collectivist ethos should minimise the divergence.

I think if the vote was for colonise, I'd at least keep the free thought policy going until we're done with the new worlds protocol tech. It should shave 2-4 months off development time depending on how it stacks with our research grants

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
Make a colony. Why? Because the first two voters didn't vote for this, and thus, it must be the superior option. :obviously:

More Colonies means more codexians and more minerals and more research and more territory and that territory is essential for building even more mineral mines and research stations.
Colony ships costs 350 gp on start and those mines and research are 90 per unit so its very good invesment

We need to BREED more trolls... and wipe out all lifeforms later( saddly i dont thik that lifeforms grow bigger if you left them alive for couple of years ... Now, the population and those mine/research stations are all that matters. and a little bit of those corvettes from time to time just to be on guard.

and about free thinking policy i dont know, its not that important but if you think something about a decade or even 2 then its all good

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
3) is the 'dex way. Crush the non-believers with an iron fist before their misguided agendas can spread. Also put Azira in charge of the Codexian fleet, his piloting skills are legenda- lege- leg-... ahaha sorry can't finish that sentence... but put him at the helm anyway. :salute:

Free thoughts are dangerous in the long term. Look at the 'dex: people can openly criticise Arcanum without being banned and consensus will never be reached. Just give them that little hope to cling to for a few years, before taking their privilege away. The Hivemind is always right and the Underlord provides.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Our regular scheduled genocide will happen after d&d tomorrow night. I ended up playing a multiplayer game with danebros instead, to test how they were to set up prior to the Kodex Multiplayer game hopefully happening sunday.

Multiplayer race I used were these guys. They put the "Sensual" in "Nonconsensual"
iFhuN0g.png

Noone wanted to be our friends because repugnant... But we had giant fleets full of phallic rocket love to make them accept us.

We ended up in an alliance with the Hu-nams, even though I sort of wanted to attack them. But Gorf, Xilxtac and Tendor were in an alliance and I didn't want to have them stab me in the back if I went to war.
LSrUpvw.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Chapter 2: Spreading phallic love

2½ years into their grand stellar crusade, the Codexian Hivemind had found several planets that could potentially support life. Some of these were guarded by xenoforms (red exclamation marks), and the public demand was clear: If it prevents us from reaching our manifest destiny, it must be destroyed. Though small in number, Admiral Azira was confident his "grand fleet" of 3 corvettes would be up to the task of assessing the best way to purge the xenos.
hBGGDMW.jpg

2337.jpg
This is the Grand Admiral. Initial scans of the Grugmora system reveals scattered formations of the crystalline beings. They look fierce, but we may be able to fight one with some losses. What are your orders?
qeuv43f.jpg

12112.jpg
Crystalline? Wait a second... Redirect your fleet to the homeworld and return!
2337.jpg
B-but the purging... :(
12112.jpg
We can't use our nifty new techonology if the crystals are blown up.
ImjtXC5.png

CzFmHs0.png

2337.jpg
Habitable planets aren't looking too good. But there's a LOT of energy we can harvest around Grugmora IV. We should make this system a purging priority.
12112.jpg
Excellent! Scout Roballius as well and we'll find out how many ships your fleet will require
xkqYHrH.jpg

2337.jpg
no sign of Xenos in robalius. They must've moved on.
12112.jpg
The Empire has redirected hellraisers science ship to scan the habitable planets. Return home. We'll prepare your fleet to fight the crystal entities.
NSyTP5j.jpg

While the codexian fleet performed its scouting operation, Head Scientist Angthoron finished his study of the last encountered xenoform. Migratory "space whales", while repulsive, were ultimately deemed not a serious threat. Some elements of Codexian society began to speculate in how their flesh would taste if they were hunted down.
e85mScG.png

With his fleet doubled in number, Admiral Azira was given leave to hunt the Crystal Entities. the mining potential of Grugmora was tantalising, even if it lay far outside the Kodexian sphere of influence
ZAfXt89.jpg

2337.jpg
This is your Grand Admiral speaking. Let the purging commence!
1akBXPo.jpg

2337.jpg
The crystalline entity appears to be breaking apart under our missile volleys. But one of our corvettes sustained heavy damage as a chunk of crystal tore through the engineering deck
Licvfu3.jpg

Hit by the shard thrower of the Crystal Soverign, Captain Jimbob and his crew of the corvette Bumfuck became the first Codexians to perish in the cold, unforgiving void :salute:
5kyfKBJ.jpg

wgAjayO.png

Azira continued his purging campaign. Debris left behind in orbit around planets would have to be researched once the system was secured.
BB679QH.jpg

Since the Grand Fleet lost a corvette in every exchange with the crystal entities, high command recalled them until Cassidy could finish his research into more powerful weaponry.
0srIBsj.jpg

UlPWbEE.png

During a routine anomaly investigation, Hellraisers science vessel was destroyed! :x
QkhHgGq.jpg

Roxor was more successful, thank the gods.
NWL47SE.png

Since the system had come into the expanding Codexian sphere of influence, the grand fleet was dispatched to Karazit to clear it of Xenoforms. the robotic ships posessed laser technology, which the Science Directorate hoped to reverse engineer.
ZcRhnQw.jpg

zqWCRQD.jpg

5 years, 8 months and 2 days into the reign of D'ark U'nderlord, the New Worlds Protocol was established. The first codexian Ark Ship was commissioned immediately.
R53nysA.jpg

Soon after it was complete, ready to speread tentacular incline across the stars
pCXtAAj.jpg

THE CHOSEN ONES MUST CHOOSE!

Which planet do we colonise? We have the following 80% habitability Continental planets to choose from. (And Dargan, which is a Gaia world with 100% habitability). Bear in mind that the system we colonise will also expand our borders, allowing us to claim any mining/research resources in nearby systems. Red-bordered squares aren't settlable until we unlock specific tech for them.
f4CHSp1.png
KDO9Gbv.png
2FO0Q3R.png
y8IcGGu.png
GxpfxHN.png

Colonisation preference for systems will be in order of # of votes.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Broballius IV looks like it has a good mix of food/industry/SCIENCE production and stuff, while offering enough space to store our obese colonists. My pick as well.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Chapter 3: Colonization

Broballus was chosen as the first colony site for the Codexian empire. Not only was it the largest of the habitable planets their fleets had discovered. It would also extend their sphere of influence so they could begin mining operations there; in Jarad and possibly Roganoin depending on what the science fleet found. The empire would be running at an energy deficit while the colony was established. But the stockpile sould be able to absorb the drain. Barely. to be on the safe side, the construction fleet was ordered to begin setting up energy harvesting operationns as soon as the Arkship touched down.
DiwSnvi.jpg

G0e4C9b.png

Immediately after, a giant hostile space Xeno entered the system. The Grand Fleet was scrambled to protect the Codexian colonists. The timing was as bad as it could possibly be. the Construction Fleet was forced to abandon its energy harvesting operation and Kodex Kool Kredits kept ticking out of the coffers.

Fortunately for the colonists of soon-to-be colony of Oblivion, nuclear missiles had an excellent track record against space fauna.
DbuKg8P.jpg

qcWjuMG.jpg

The delayed energy mining means the Codexian Empire is skirting the edges of bankruptcy, with the huge happiness penalties that entails. But just as balance was about to tick into the Red, Oblivion was released! :incline:
To oversee the development of Oblivion, ERYFKRAD was appointed planetary Governor. Space amobae would reappear in the system twice again, and each time the Grand Fleet blew them up.
wjULDVn.jpg

LYhUYcG.jpg

Zwmn697.png

Ah yes.... Reapers.
tumblr_m2fkuuLeUN1r0275oo1_500.jpg

2War82a.png

Those pesky pirates love targetting mining operations. A swift response from the Grand Fleet is necessary. Sandwiched in between the point defenses of a mining station and the Fleet, Azira was able to dispatch them with minimal losses. Somewhere, in one of our unsurveyed systems, there's a pirate base for us to find.
8ud57kx.jpg

LHLsWCz.jpg

With construction ongoing in the empire, the Grand Fleet was ordered to scour unclaimed systems, find the pirate base and destroy it.
oiZjt0q.jpg

YK5bCu5.jpg

LjdvdpA.jpg

Every fight the fleet got in to had cost Codexia ships so far. It was decided to refit the fleet to incorporate new Fusion Missile, Sensor and Shield technology. Azira was called back to Codexia for extensive refitting
fuMPj3d.jpg

And so, in 2213, this was the extent of the Codexian empire:
VtPkDwL.jpg

20T7vpo.jpg

THE CHOSEN ONES MUST CHOOSE

- We're currently constructiong another colony ship. Which planet should we colonise next? See candidates in previous update. No new planets have been found.
- Should we expand our Wyrmhole network with another generator or wait? If yes, in what direction should we expand our jump range? (orange circle).
- If we expand the network, should we construct an additional Science Vessel to help with surveys or go slow and steady?
- Should we build a frontier outpost? It will cost a lump sum of influence (and we'll need that to hire leaders and issue edicts), as well as a monthly reduction in influence gained. (Down from +3 to +2) But it will expand our borders so we can mine in Starmagg and possibly efoil as well.

Tigranes

Arcane
In terms of future expansion direction and mining possibilities, Xigar looks good. Awkward borders must be awkward, trailing like drool across the galaxies! Also might as well expand Wyrmholes in that direction (southeast). My vote is for rapid overextension.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom