Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So sad to see this on hold...but I understand, people keep waiting for the thread title to change...think I'm gonna put my Diablo LP on hold too. :(

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So sad to see this on hold...but I understand, people keep waiting for the thread title to change...think I'm gonna put my Diablo LP on hold too. :(

Actually, I believe you could always PM Jaesun and ask for a title change, maybe.

It's not just the thread title, though. Following LPs is a pain the butt currently, at least to me. Ugh. (But perhaps it's just me.) Plus not all Codexers have returned to the refurbished forum yet. I'd say it's up to you whether to put your LP on hold or not; I feel like putting mine on hold until the Codex officially reopens at least, and then for a few more days maybe. I suggest you wait and see if enough people react to your last update in the next couple of days.

Mostly, however, this LP is on hold because I'm on vacation. :p Too tired, been drinking too much in the past few days, and generally need some rest.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Mostly, however, this LP is on hold because I'm on vacation. :p Too tired, been drinking too much in the past few days, and generally need some rest.

You already had your vacation on the 'watch :M

Truth be told, however, I wouldn't continue an LP with New Year's Eve just one night away either.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
One of the reasons I joined up here was because of the great LPs, like this one.

Hilarious stuff, eagerly awaiting the next installment. Keep up the great work (when you're able to), Crooked Bee.

:salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oooh I'm so hungover. Thanks guys, I'll get back to this LP in a week or so. There should be no more than three-four updates left until we beat Wizardry I.

Meanwhile, I've been toying with another LP idea, a short diversion just for the start of the new year... (EDIT: On the other hand, probably not. I have enough LPs on my hands already.) In any case, don't you worry: this LP remains my top priority, I simply need a little break.

Crooked Bee

Patron
And we're back again! A short update is in order so that you don't think I've abandoned this LP or get any other ideas.

Resting up

05wiz001.png

First things first. We should definitely rest up after having our HP drained by the Ring of Death.

We heal everyone with Dios as many times as we can, but even after that, our HP remains low. Which means it's time to hit the bed.

05wiz009.png

We opt for the Royal Suite, since it restores 10 HP/week and we have lots of money now that we've sold the cursed ring.

gaider1.jpg
Whoa, Royal Suite! Give me a moment to change into something more... in-character.

alistair1.png
Ahhh, now no one can deny I tasted royalty.

laidlaw1.png
You what?

alistair1.png
Wanna taste some royalty, Mike? *winks*

laidlaw1.png
*cries* Why are you always hitting on me, Dave? Hitting on everybody here?

gaider1.jpg
Eh, you don't understand, Mike. Ever since I was a little lad, I’ve had a crush on game developers. Not my fault they also happened to be male. *shrugs*

Most of our characters have to stay at the Suite for several weeks, what with their HP being extremely low, which ages them somewhat, but so far that's nothing to worry about. They're still pretty young. Pete is only 14, for example.

pete.png
Forever 14!

todd1.png
:bro:
pete.png

pete.png
Hey Todd, wait a minute. You're 15 already! Fuuu, old fart.

todd1.png
:(

pete.png
Nah, I'm just kidding, man. You're a bro.

pete.png
:bro:
todd1.png

05wiz030.png

Todd makes a new level, improving his attributes and max HP.

05wiz050.png

So does Gaider.

05wiz076.png

One step closer to becoming a Ninja!

gaider1.jpg
:yeah:

05wiz039.png

Finally, Sawyer learns his first Lvl 4 spells.

05wiz054.png

Those are Dial, which is a stronger version of Dios and heals 2D8 hit points, and Maporfic, which lowers the AC of everyone in the party by two. The good thing about Maporfic is that, once cast, it lasts the entire duration of your time in the dungeon until you exit it.

And down to the maze we go.

05wiz087.png

Along the way we encounter another group of Creeping Coins. Aren't we lucky today!

05wiz121.png

Pete and Laidlaw gain enough exp to level up.

05wiz194.png

We also encounter a new enemy on B2, Rogue. Rogues are Thieves travelling in groups of 1D4+1, having 2D5+1 HP each and AC of 10. They can do up to 2 attacks per turn, each dealing 1D4/2D2+1 damage.

05wiz195.png

They also look a lot like Bushwackers.

Killing them earns us 470 exp, and now MCA also stands ready for a level-up, so I guess we should go back to the castle.

05wiz220.png

Pete gets his max HP up quite a bit, as well as an increase in Piety and Agility.

05wiz225.png

MCA finally improves his Luck, which has been staying pretty low. What's wrong, MCA? Still no luck with any new major projects?

mca1.png

Thought as much.

05wiz230.png

And finally, Laidlaw learns new spells!

05wiz244.png

Or rather one new spell. Morlis is his first lvl4 spell, causing fear to affect a monster group. If successful, fear basically nullifies the monsters' attack power for the duration of the spell.

Time has come for us to travel down to the fifth level as well as bitch and moan about the SNES version, for reasons soon to be explained. Next update should be coming soon, I hope, so stay tuned!

spekkio

Arcane
Holy cow!
This LP was silently updated!

:smug:

Also: this LP makes me remember my last year's SMT1 playthrough...

:cry:

No wonder people prefer gay elven sex to crawling 101th floor of 101th dungeon. To think that there were times when people were playing games like this one...

:salute:

lightbane

Arcane
Incredible, an update!!

:love:

MCA finally improves his Luck, which has been staying pretty low. What's wrong, MCA? Still no luck with any new major projects?

:lol: Owned.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
/jealous

Wish I had this many followers.

Also, holy crap @ the hp boost on MCA. 50% increase from one level.

Damned Registrations

You mean being both a nazi AND a furfag is somehow not amenable to attracting followers? But how can that be! I don't understand!

Crooked Bee

Patron
But with all that money isn't there better equipment to be bought?

We'll buy some new stuff, sure, but in Wizardry I there isn't really much to buy - Boltac's Trading Post doesn't have much to offer. All the best stuff in the game comes from loot drops on the lower floors of the dungeon; more on that in the next updates. Hopefully we'll be able to come across something really good. Fingers crossed.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Please enlighten a newfag, I want to know how hard the early Wizardries are. Does character death happen often? Do characters lose vitality when resurrected like in later games? Also, did you resurrect any characters yet, or do you just reload the savestate when one of them dies?

Damned Registrations

I like games that use nonsense words for spells like this. Aside from atmosphere (which I think it helps, if only a little) I find it easier to memorize the way stuff works when I'm simply learning the meaning of a few new words. Trying to remember whether you restore hp to one person, a whole team, or cure status ailments with heal, cure, and restoration as spell names isn't any easier. It's not enough to convery that the spell is some kind of healing spell, I need to know exactly what it does. If I need to memorize that anyways, you might as well give it an original name.

It's a pity blob crawlers like this stagnated. I'd love to see a MM or Wizardry game that brings up nice combat mechanics like attack combinations or complicated turn order systems jrpgs moved onto when 16 bit consoles came around. Instead all we got was either more of the same, a transition to half assed real time fighting, or games using retro systems for the sake of nostalgia rather than actually playing to the strengths of those systems. Even the japanese dungeon crawlers don't use these systems. Why does Etrian Oddesey not have nice turn order/speed systems like Breath of Fire 3 or FFX? (Or even the old ATB system, which is essentially what FFX has except FFX has the decency to pause the bars when it's time for someone do something) Or combo attack systems like Phantasy Star 4 had?

Cenobyte

Prophet
Update is as good as always :salute:

@Damned Reg: Well, they certainly tried. The combat system in Wiz 8 is for example quite different from all others Wizardries (but it is also from another team, the Jagged Alliance team, not the original one that made the other games) and there are numerous "dungeon crawlers" which have different combat systems or some variations to the standard formula. However, with First Person you are always quite limited in the available systems, either a turn-based systems that doesn't take stuff like cover, space or positioning much into account (even though Wiz 8 has tried to include those things and the other Wizardries also have a very crude positioning system) or a real-time one like in the Elder Scrolls games or other real-time crawlers. More complex turn-based combat systems are simply not possible with this kind of perspective, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom