Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You want a fucking update? I'll give you a fucking update!

Just you wait!!

Wait a bit plz. 'Kay? Thx.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And we're back! Seriously people, never get yourselves sociable or employed. Just sit home in your underwear all day and write LPs. The way I do.

... Seriously peeps. Fuck you for making me do LPs in my underwear! You have no heart, people. You have no soul. I wouldn't listen if you sang the blues. I swear, people. You're a sinful people. And for your sins, I present to you the worst god-damned update you've ever seen. And then it's gonna be the end, my friend.

NuclearBomb.jpg

Boom! Nobody survived.

mca1.png
I see you are distressed, narrator.

Hell yeah I am. It's time to kick ass and do the LARPing... and I'm all outta LARP.

mca1.png
I see. When a sinful audience and the almighty narrator stand apart, what is the means of reconciliation?

Yeah, what?

mca1.png

Screw you.

Floor 3

Not pictured: our party defeating another group of Zombies, which allows Gaider to gain enough exp for a level up.

03wiz069.png

But we won't be going back to town just yet. Let's rather explore the third floor first.

map1-03.png

Floor 3 is meant to bring less hardy players down to their knees. It has nothing but pits, spinners, messages, and secret doors, and overall looks pretty basic, but believe me, it's a huge pain to map it blindly. The main problem is, of course, spinners. In contrast to, e.g., Dark Heart of Uukrul's spinners that, if I remember correctly, only turn you around 180 degrees, the spinning plates here operate randomly, making you face a random direction every time. Which is further complicated by the fact there's no compass and no means of figuring out the direction you're facing, what with the environments all looking exactly the same. Moreover, the stairs down to the fourth floor are well-hidden and very hard to find, being surrounded as they are by three (!) pits. The game is sadistic, and that's the way RPGs should be.

As it turns out, however, the SNES version makes it somewhat easier on the player, if only to a small extent. The Dumapic spell, you see, functions as the game's automap:

03wiz071.png

This isn't the kind of automap you can access as many times as you want, though, since spell points are limited. Personally I believe this is a nice trade-off between having a normal automap that you can consult indefinitely and having none. Here, you actually have to manage your resources carefully, since the choice, as far as 1st level Mage spells go, is basically between Dumapic and Katino, the latter being the most useful combat spell at this point, so you actually have to think twice whether to access the automap or not. And the game isn't ashamed of draining your resources quickly.

Anyway, here we are on the third floor.

03wiz072.png

todd_bucket2.png
I'm in a tank, bitches! Steer my wheel, Pete!

03wiz073.png
03wiz074.png

The messages are a bit tricky.

Assuming, for example, that you head north from the entry point, the first message you get is a fair warning: if you proceed further north, a pit will be waiting for you there. So let's assume you head west next. In that case, you get another message telling you to turn around at (10,15). This is, again, a real warning, but after that the messages will be doing nothing but deceiving you and luring you into traps.

03wiz082.png

The one at (5,15), for instance, tells you to turn right, and you're going to fall right down into a pit if you do.

message4.png

todd1.png
I'm not!

pete.png
Neither am I!

todd1.png
We're making money off idiots! That's a different thing.

richardandrew3.png
You think you're making lots of money? I'M gonna be making EVEN MORE money!!.. Once I get rid of you all! You idiots! Mwuahahahaa! The ultimate RPG will be MINE! ALL MINE!

laidlaw1.png
What?

gaider1.jpg
Is someone there?

03wiz084.png

Proceeding further west, you're told to turn left at (0,15), and yes, there's a pit there again. If, on the other hand, you approached the same spot going east from (15,15), you'd be sent right onto a spinner, which would also complicate things for you and probably send you to your death in another pit.

message3.png

gaider1.jpg
... What the?

richardandrew3.png
You think you're heroes? I'M the only hero! You'd all be nothing without me! You are but my shells, my avatars! Bow before your lord!

josh.png
Who's there? Show yourself!

richardandrew3.png
Heh heh heh mwuahahaha! I'm watching you, scum! Watching you from high above!

todd1.png
Who the hell are you?

richardandrew3.png
It's me... Andrew!

laidlaw1.png
Who?

richardandrew3.png
Well, actually, my name is Richard. But everybody calls me Dick.

gaider1.jpg

richardandrew3.png
I make a guest appearance as Andrew in this game, you see.

gaider1.jpg

richardandrew3.png
What, you think I'm up to something? Man, I'm just bored.

gaider1.jpg

richardandrew3.png
That's a Japanese thing, fatso. Are you a Jap? What's this, a god-damned JRPG?

pete.png
So you're this game's hero, Andrew? You sure?

richardandrew3.png
Look at me, boy. I'm an evil, twisted man in a space suit, fond like a girl of most childish things!.. Of course I am a hero! I'm a spaceman, kiddos! Goddamn Batman in space!

richardandrew3.png
... That's what my mom said! I thought I'd stop hearing her voice as I grew up, but...

mca1.png
But here you are. But you aren't really supposed to be here, right? This isn't your kind of game.

richardandrew3.png
What, you think I'm fucking up the lore? I AM the lore! How 'bout I fuck you up instead?.. Damn, forgot I'm but a shadow (of my former self). Screw you. I'll be back.

pete.png
What a weirdo.

todd1.png
Hey Dark Underlord, who was that?

du2.jpg
Didn't I tell you? He's the one in charge around here. Kind of. Goddamn lunatic.

todd1.png
What? I thought you were in charge?

du2.jpg
Nah, I'm just here to be your guide. I'm but an underlord. That guy? He's the mad overlord.

01fail030.png

The enemies in here aren't kidding around with you either. The content of the earlier Epic Fails (tm) update? It came from here.

The Ninjas are, as you know, a prestige class. Level 3 Ninjas appear in groups of 2D4+2, i.e., in fairly large numbers, they do up to 5 attacks per round dealing 1D4 damage each, AND they can poison you or one-hit kill you (the Autokill ability which is their class ability). In other words, they are a real threat for a party of our level and abilities, since we can't even cure poison nor paralysis yet.

01fail066.png

Were Bears and Vorpal Bunnies are a pain as well. They usually go together, and again, in fairly large numbers. Were Bears appear in groups of 2D3+2, have 5D8 HP, hit for 3D6+1, and can poison and paralyse you. Vorpal Bunnies come in groups of 2D3+2, have 3D6+2 HP, hit for 1D6, but most importantly, they can decapitate you, which counts as an insta-kill.

There's simply NO way we could defeat such a group at this level, so the only realistic option is to run away as soon as possible.

03wiz101.png

poochyena2.png
Eheheh... Human flesh...? Is it sooooo...?

pete.png
WAHHHHHHHHHH!!

todd1.png
Don't come any closer, monster!

poochyena2.png
Hooheehee... You'll make for many a feast... Heeheehee..

todd1.png
Pete, run! I'll buy you time!

pete.png
What are you talking about?! We're... We're always together! I can't leave you!

todd1.png
...Pete! Can't you let me look cool for once?

pete.png
No! ...I'm not running!

poochyena2.png
Twins... Twiiins... Hooheehee...

todd1.png
...Very well... Pete!

pete.png
...We're ALWAYS together... ...To the very end!

There are also some middle-of-the-road enemies on this floor, such as Mangy Dogs aka Coyotes. They come in packs of 4D2, attack for 4D4, and have 4D6 HP. Their AC is only 8, which makes them easy to hit and kill.

03wiz135.png

Unfortunately, they can flee from combat, which is kind of irritating. Hit and run is probably the most annoying enemy tactics.

03wiz154.png
03wiz168.png

Sometimes, 4D4 equals 16.
emot-argh.gif

Also, Sawyer can now paralyse foes! Manifo is the next most useful combat spell after Katino.

03wiz138.png
03wiz188.png

The exp greatly depends on how many enemies have run away, unfortunately, and Coyotes tend to run away a whole lot.

03wiz141.png
03wiz146.png

pete.png
The hell are you doing, froggy?!

gaider1.jpg
What a cute little frog... FOR ME TO STOMP ON.

The Amphibians are Giant Toads. They are easily killed, but beware their poison. In Wizardry, poison is an extremely nasty status effect if you can't heal it on the spot: every two steps a character takes when poisoned take away 1 HP. Which means that, when poisoned here on B3, there is no way you can make it back to the town without ending up dead midway.

03wiz192.png
03wiz193.png

Priest are now Level 3 on this floor; still, they're scared of us and run away.

03wiz231.png
03wiz254.png

Sometimes, Were Bears appear alone, not accompanied by Vorpal Bunnies. In this case, you can kill them if you're lucky. Katino and Manifo help a lot, naturally.

03wiz259.png
03wiz261.png

Pete even manages to one-hit kill a Bear. Good going, Pete!

Unfortunately, two Bears flee and then Pete gets paralysed.

03wiz316.png
03wiz321.png

Oh well. But the rest of the fight is easy, made even easier by the fact yet another Bear decides to flee.
emot-argh.gif

Still, 528 exp is nice enough, I guess. Unfortunately, being paralysed, Pete misses out on the experience.

03wiz324.png

Let's go back to town. Next time.

josh.png
Hey Andrew, we're getting closer.

richardandrew3.png
Just try me, suckers. This dungeon's gonna be your GRAVE!

richardandrew3.png
Much like a young inventor, I've been working on it through the nights... I've designed it with such tender loving care, you'd think it wasn't made to KILL YOU!

todd1.png
... The guy's giving me the creeps.

03wiz588.png

Press A to more Wizardry!

:yeah:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Holy shit, I've just reread the update, and it's freakin' horrible. I swear, I'm getting rid of the LARPing next time and turning this into a normal LP everyone and their mother would approve of.

Damn I need my coffee.

lightbane

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Holy shit, I've just reread the update, and it's freakin' horrible. I swear, I'm getting rid of the LARPing next time and turning this into a normal LP everyone and their mother would approve of.

Damn I need my coffee.

That's why you shouldn't take crack before starting an update, you know, it only works for weird games :M
This isn't the kind of automap you can access as many times as you want, though, since spell points are limited.

OBJECTION!!! That statement is not true, you can always (ab)use savestates :troll:

Pokemon faggotry detected (besides, everyone knows that Digimon was more :obviously:) :M

PS: Presses the [A]wesome button.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:

Damn I need my coffee.
Here:
coffee.gif

Don't worry about the larp, more dungeon crawling is where is at, nyah.. :love:

Crooked Bee said:

It really isn't that bad. LARPing gets bad when you have no narrator, and it becomes stuffed with expository dialogue and odd scene transitions denoted by ***. By the time you finish an update, you hit the word count button and despair that the update word count is over 3000 words.

But with narration, you can keep the LARP down to reasonable levels, and only do it when maximum lulz/good ones/bon mots are guaranteed.

Lord British as Andy Greenburg? Nice.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks, Mr. Murrow, I'll trust you on that. I know I was really tired when writing up the update and it seemed to me like I was just rambling incoherently. Then again, that's what LARPing is about, it seems.

And yeah, good catch. ;)

Kz3r0 said:
Helly said:

:love:

grotsnik said:

'Kay, I've changed the thread title. :P

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Crooked Bee said:
And we're back! Seriously people, never get yourselves sociable or employed. Just sit home in your underwear all day and write LPs. The way I do.

... Seriously peeps. Fuck you for making me do LPs in my underwear! You have no heart, people. You have no soul. I wouldn't listen if you sang the blues. I swear, people. You're a sinful people. And for your sins, I present to you the worst god-damned update you've ever seen. And then it's gonna be the end, my friend.

Okay, Bee, okay.

Let me start with this: I respect you, sistah, I truly do.
Ever since I read your Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light(blatant advertisement), I've been following your LPs and I even took at face value that you say you're not some magical neko alt, but this, this I cannot abide.

It was YOU that promised an update and you cannot (unless is some sort of official attention raising campaign) ever not updating just because you have a life or you are in underwear.
It simply cannot do.
You have some responsibilities towards your fans.

So please, if you feel dishearthened, remember that we don't care what color your skin is, or if you are jewish or even if you are not a biological woman, fuck I wouldn't care if you were from another planet/plane/vibration; as long as you keep the updates coming.

:bro:

P.S.spectacular update

Crooked Bee

Patron
gaider1.jpg
Hey narrator, you said you'd abandon the LARPing. Well... don't.

Why?

gaider1.jpg
You know, I'm enjoying it. It's almost like I'm writing all the dialogues myself. Your LP is so... character-driven.

Character-driven?

gaider1.jpg
Yeah, character-driven, and thus concerned more with the human condition than it is with being epic. And you know...

Yes?

gaider1.jpg
I feel so... welcome.

merrill1.png
What a rarity, they say! What a beauty! What a pretty! And even more so than all those, I feel... sexy.

gaider1.jpg
*blushes* Sexy like a character from some doujin!

merrill1.png
Please... don't abandon us in cold blood!

All right, I'll do it... one last time, you bastards.

Floor 4, Part 1

I won't be showing off the level-ups this time. Suffice it to say, everyone increased their attributes and HP -- Gaider even had enough exp to level up twice -- and Sawyer, MCA and Laidlaw learnt new spells.

wiz03_568.png
wiz03_569.png

Sawyer's new spells are:
  • Montino which, according to the official description, "causes sound to quit transmitting around a group of monsters." In other words, it is a silence spell.
    Lomilwa, a longer version of Milwa, that creates a light lasting the entire expedition into the dungeon and is only extinguished when entering a dark zone or returning to the castle.
    Dialko which cures paralysis.
    Latumapic that identifies monsters.
    And finally, Bamatu, an extremely useful spell which lowers the entire party's AC by a whopping 4 points.
wiz03_577.png
wiz03_578.png

MCA's new spells are Priest spells, and they're all familiar to us already.

wiz03_581.png
wiz03_582.png

Finally, Laidlaw gains access to level 3 Mage spells. Those are Mahalito, a group target Fireball spell that deals 4-24 points of damage to a group of monsters, and Molito, another group target offensive spell dealing 3-18 points of damage, but this time non-elemental, in case the enemy is resistant to fire or cold.

With that, let us proceed to floor 4, first via the stairs from the third floor.

map1-04.png

B4 is an extremely important floor in Wizardry I. As you can see, it is separated into two mutually inaccessible areas. The first one, which we can access from B3, lets you access the (well-hidden) stairs down to B5 at (17,7); to even find the stairs, you must have the Bear statue with you, since it's the only thing that can open the door at (17,12). The second area is the shortcut area: that's where the elevator from B1 stops (at 10,8), and the next elevator, leading straight to Werdna's lair, is located (at 10,0). You cannot, however, ride the second elevator right away; you must get a Blue Ribbon at (11,10) first, protected by a particularly tough boss encounter at (13,14), which I'll show off in the next update.

As I said earlier, my intention is to get our party through all the floors of the Mad Overlord's dungeon, so we won't be taking the shortcut. But we'll be getting the Blue Ribbon nevertheless, since the encounter, and the loot you get, are just plain awesome.

josh.png
MCA-sensei, I... can't get that weird spaceman out of my head. It's worrying me. ... Why are we here, MCA-sensei?

mca1.png
Josh, I already told you. Our path brought us here for a reason... There are dark places in the world where few tread; in this case, we are the few.

josh.png
But.. MCA-sensei, what is the reason?

mca1.png
Why do you keep asking, Josh? It doesn't matter where we go. It is the journey, not the destination, that matters... But shhh! Listen carefully, and you will hear it.

josh.png
... *holds his breath and listens*

richardandrew3.png
Upupu... I'm getting bored... so bored... We should start the show, don't you think, my dear? Everyone is waiting for it!

richardandrew3.png
Tee hee. Let me tell you a story, dear. It should help you sleep.

richardandrew3.png
You've heard of the Mad Overlord's dungeon. The legends, the curses. Foolishness about it lying in the middle of the city of the dead, buried beneath a blood-red cloud.

richardandrew3.png
The world's most famous RPG developers, most famous entertainers, were invited to its grand opening. I invited them, tee hee! An invitation is a sign of... exclusiveness. Oh yes it is.

richardandrew3.png
You see, my dear... It is supposed to be the ultimate dungeon... frozen in time, so nothing should ever surpass it. A teaser, so to speak, for the ultimate role-playing game... my game!

richardandrew3.png
This grand opening, of which they are a part, will symbolise a road to a brighter future - for humanity, for the virtues, for microtransactions, for the world! For you, dear.

richardandrew3.png
If only they just knew how to crack it open. But they don't, haha! And even if they did...

richardandrew3.png
Getting to it. That's not the hard part. It's letting go. *giggles* ... Hush, dear.

josh.png
... What was that, MCA-sensei? Who was the madman talking to?

mca1.png
All in due time. Just know one thing. There is no strength in the hunger he possesses... and the will behind his power is a primal thing.

josh.png
A primal thing?

mca1.png
It devours him, Josh. Devours him as he devours others -- his mere presence kills all around him, slowly, feeding him. He is already dead, it is simply a question of how many he kills before he falls. And whether or not he kills us.

josh.png
But what have we done? Why us?

mca1.png
... It is a quiet thing, to fall, Josh. But far more terrible is to admit it.

josh.png
I... don't understand, MCA-sensei.

mca1.png
Some day, you will.

04wiz007.png
04wiz015.png

On our way to B4, we come across a group of six Kimonoed Men hurling fireballs at us.

04wiz035.png
04wiz038.png

It turns out they're Lvl 3 Samurai. Did I mention I'm really fond of art design in this game? /1eyedkingmode

04wiz042.png

pete.png
Man, friendly bears are so unrealistic.

todd1.png
That's why there are no friendly bears in Skyrim.

pete.png
Not a single one.

todd1.png
Skyrim is a realistic mature RPG. You see a bear and you know: it's out to get you.

pete.png
Sends the chills down my spine, man.

04wiz072.png
04wiz073.png

We also come across our first Teleporter trap. Gaider carefully disarms it. Being randomly teleported around B3 could send us right to our death in one of the pits.

04wiz086.png
04wiz087.png

And here we are on B4.

richardandrew3.png
Weeelcome, welcome! Ahahaha.

richardandrew3.png
Shall you have a meal? A bath, perhaps? Or maybe... you are here for meeeee?

04wiz093.png
04wiz226.png

Currently we're exploring the section with the stairs down to the fifth floor. There isn't much to show off here, really, just some new enemies.

The animal is a Coyote, and the Man in Armor is probably a Lvl 3 Fighter.

04wiz116.png

The next group is pure trouble, so we run away.

04wiz119.png

Were Rats are pure melee fighters.

04wiz161.png
04wiz162.png

Ah, Ogres. They have 4D8+1 HP and hit for 2D6.

We have Sawyer cast Bamatu, which drastically improves our AC, and the Ogres barely scratch us now.

04wiz167.png
04wiz182.png

Laidlaw's Mahalito proves pretty useful, too.

Overpowered, the Ogres decide to flee.

04wiz194.png

Insects can be nasty, especially if they're spiders.

richardandrew3.png
Your friendly neighbourhood spider... FROM HELL!

richardandrew3.png
Mwuahahaha.

The best option is to smash the insects asap.

04wiz244.png
04wiz257.png

The next monsters we encounter drop armour, which turns out to be a Plate Mail.

04wiz276.png

Anyway, we're all ready to level up again, so we head back to town.

This time, Sawyer and MCA's Dios(es) don't suffice to fully heal our characters up, and we have enough gold to rest at the economy rooms, so we do just that.

04wiz322.png

Laidlaw greatly increases his HP. But no new spells for him or the other spellcasters this time. :(

04wiz325.png
04wiz327.png

We also buy Iron Shields for both Pete and Todd; in the upcoming encounters, we're going to need every AC point we can get.

Time to hit the elevator!

04wiz339.png
04wiz341.png

This is, I believe, the first time we encounter an (identified) group of Orcs.

orc2.jpg
Hey bro, look at that beauty!..

merrill1.png

orc1.jpg
Ooooh. Let's capture her, bro!

orc2.jpg
Oh, we'll capture her all right! And we'll make her our mascot!

merrill1.png
Just you try, shitheads! *falcon punch*

Filthy creatures.

04wiz355.png
04wiz380.png

Having dealt with the orcs, we enter the dark zone and head for the elevator.

richardandrew3.png
Tee hee... Is everyone here? If that's the case...

richardandrew3.png
Please enter the elevator you see in front of you. It will carry you bastards directly to a very special place.

richardandrew3.png
The trial... that will decide your fate... Tee hee. I'm waiting...!!

Next time: a ring... of death!

Cenobyte

Prophet
Crooked Bee said:
Hey Cenobyte, long time no see! I thought we lost ya. :P Glad to see you around.

I'm currently way too busy to post here in a larger scale, but no, I'm not lost, at least not totally :D

Good, even if somewhat short, update btw. The banter between the devs is really fitting :D

torpid

Liturgist
I love how MCA and Sawyer are having a "deep" conversation while Pete & Todd are derping about bears.

mca1.png
But shhh! Listen carefully, and you will hear it.

:lol: Goes really well with the headphones.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Just popping in to say the next update is in the works. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the shtick is getting a little stale... I need to think up something fresh I guess, so it may take a while. Serves me right for taking up LARPing in the first place; it isn't really my thing.

Jaesun said:
Ms. Bee, this is the best LP EVAR!

Just FYI. And thank you.

:love:

Thanks Jaesun. :love:

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Most excellent LP! Two thumbs up. Carry on. :salute:

P.S. How is this humanoid figure in red robes a bear?! Crazy Wapanese art direction - might look good, but will make no sense.
Crooked Bee said:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom