Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stupid Gaider who tried to backstab a slime. How can you succesfully backstab something that doesn't have a spine?

Anyway, this LP almost makes me want to try the pre-Bane Wizardries, while CRPG Addict's blog had the opposite effect.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lightbane said:

todd1.png
Well, some of our fans were saying the combat wasn't tactical enough.

pete.png
And we at Bethesda always listen to our fans, you know.

todd1.png
So we thought: why only have dragons fly forward? There's just no room for tactics when you always know what to expect.

pete.png
Booring, man.

todd1.png
I mean, dragons are those all-powerful creatures, right?

pete.png
All powerful, yeah. They can do anything. They just... defy your expectations, man.

todd1.png
So we gave them more freedom. More tactical moves, you could say.

pete.png
The dragon AI, Todd. Tell 'em about the AI.

todd1.png
The AI is even more advanced, even more radiant now. And that's not all!

pete.png
Tell 'em what's next, Todd.

todd1.png
Teleporting dragons.

pete.png
Teleporting dragons, yeah. Just wait for patch 1.3.

todd1.png
There's no limit to what a dragon can do.

pete.png
No limit, yeah.

todd1.png
Imagine a dragon teleporting right behind your back. Makes the combat more... well...

pete.png
...more visceral, man.

todd1.png
Yeah. Has that "whoa!" factor.

pete.png
The "whoa!" factor, yeah. You're so good at explaining things, Todd.

todd1.png
Thanks, Pete. You're a bro.

todd1.png
:bro:
pete.png

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Floor 1, Part 3: Murphy's Ghost

mca1.png
Psst, Josh. Come over here. Take a look.

josh.png
Is this... a map!?

mca1.png
You're quite perceptive, Josh. It is indeed a map I conjured up.

josh.png
What do you mean, "conjured up"?

mca1.png
Well... I collar-grabbed him.

josh.png
"Him"?

mca1.png
It doesn't matter. You wouldn't understand. To truly understand, you'd need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal, Josh.

josh.png

mca1.png
All that matters is, I wrestled with him and won.

josh.png
I don't understand, but... Teach me to collar-grab, MCA-sensei.

mca1.png
Sure, Josh. Watch me closely. .... Can you repeat that?

josh.png
*makes a devastating collar grabbing move*

mca1.png
Ahhhaaaargh... Well done, Josh! Yes, well done indeed! You will find that collar grabbing is an excellent way of getting information.

All right, so MCA "conjured up" a map for us. Let's have a closer look.

map1-01.png

The first level is basically a tutorial level, yet it already has a few tricks up its sleeve (which is the best way you can make a tutorial dungeon not boring). The greyed-out tiles are the dark zone we already (kind of) visited earlier. There are also teleporters (the circled numbers, 1 takes you to 1', etc.), one-way doors, and secret doors. You can easily makes those out on the map without my help, I hope. Oh, and we start at (0,0), whereas (0,10) marks the stairs down to level two.

Oh, and if we make it through the dark zone, we can reach the well-hidden elevator at (10,8)!

01wiz193.png

laidlaw1.png
Ugh... too many... buttons...

Being the lead designer on Dragon Age II, Laidlaw can't handle that many buttons. Plus we have the no shortcut policy. So let's just... forget about the elevator for now.

Let's rather build up our experience and go grab those keys at (13,18) and (13,3).

01wiz324.png

josh.png
Holy shit! Hand me my shotgun, woman!

laidlaw1.png
We've been surprised! David, do something!

flemeth1.jpg
Necrofantasia!

01wiz326.png

flemeth1.jpg
:smug:

josh.png
W-what are you?

flemeth1.jpg
You could say I'm Yog-Sothoth with Nyarlathotep's penchant for chaos, to put me into perspective.

josh.png

gaider1.jpg
Haha, got you.

We make our way to (13,18).

01wiz340.png
01wiz343.png

It was really nice of those pointy-eared pricks to warn us about the demons, I guess. Except their damn inscription is hardly fucking legible!

01wiz344.png

But hey, a key. That changes everything! The demons? Bah! We have the key!

01wiz374.png

Now we only need some more exp for MCA the Bishop. Being the most advanced of all the classes we currently have, he's also the slowest one to level up.

01wiz389.png

The next group of skeletons we encounter even manage to finally hurt us. The bastards.

They turn out to be Undead Kobolds, by the way.

01wiz403.png

The Kobold can't withstand Gaider striking from the shadows!

gaider2.png
With progress like that, I'm bound to start going "mwa-ha-ha-ha" at some point!

01wiz426.png

And the rest of the party can level up now.

01wiz435.png

Before resting, Sawyer heals Todd, since his spell points will be replenished when he rests anyway.

01wiz446.png

The party's spellcasters can learn new spells when leveling up (then again, they may not if the dice aren't on their side), which is, of course, crucial for their efficiency.

01wiz465.png
01wiz466.png

Sawyer's new spell is Badios, which is the opposite of Dios in that, instead of healing, it deals 1 to 8 points of damage to an enemy.

01wiz452.png

josh.png
Are you really *gasp* sleeping, MCA-sensei? Didn't you tell me sleep is weakness?

mca1.png

01wiz460.png
01wiz464.png

MCA learns two new spells: Mogref and Dumapic. Mogref lowers the caster's AC by two, whereas Dumapic is an exploration spell: it gives you the location of the party relative to the stairs leading back up to the castle (given as three coordinates: (x,y) plus how many levels below the first floor you currently are).

01wiz473.png

Laidlaw gets the same spells as MCA, and while his HP increase isn't really great, hey, I'm not complaining.

Anyway, back to the maze we go. Arriving at (13,4) is a bit tricky. We must first take the secret one-way door at (19,9), then head down the corridor to (5,9) which teleports us straight to 1' at (15,4):

01wiz488.png
01wiz491.png

The door ahead is, as you can judge from the map, a loop. So fuck that.

Let's hit the door on the left instead, which brings us to (13,3):

01wiz492.png

todd1.png
A cat chicken?

catchicken1.jpg

todd1.png
Oh.

pete.png
Aaaah!

01wiz496.png

Overcoming his fear, Pete reaches for the key.

pete.png
"Fear"? What fear are you talking about, man? I only screamed because that statue is damn cute. Like, aaah! so cute, man!

01wiz502.png
01wiz505.png

A hooded man? Now that certainly means no trouble of any kind.

01wiz506.png

Welcome to the first boss fight!

01wiz507.png

murphy2.png
David?.. I've heard so much about you from your father, David.

gaider1.jpg
My father? What do you know about my father, Murphy's Ghost?

murphy2.png
David?

gaider1.jpg
Yes, Murphy?

murphy2.png
I am your father.

gaider1.jpg

laidlaw1.png

josh.png

pete.png
Man, some serious shit goin' on!

gaider1.jpg
You're my... long lost... father? *sobs*

murphy2.png
Nah, I'm just kidding. Ha ha.

laidlaw1.png
Freaking hilarious.

gaider1.jpg
*wipes away the tears* I'm so gonna kill you now, shithead. I'll beat you to a bloody pulp!

01wiz518.png
01wiz517.png

MCA casts Katino, but unfortunately Murphy's Ghost seems to be immune to sleep in the SNES version. Would've made the battle so much easier, wouldn't it? He also has (relatively) lots of HP, which is why he is this level's boss. He isn't particularly remarkable in any other way though, really, poor sod.

We also have Sawyer cast Kalki to boost our defense a bit.

01wiz519.png
01wiz521.png

Gaider couldn't hide away. :(

Laidlaw hurls a fireball, but... well, let's say that wasn't exactly the most AWESOME fireball I've seen.

01wiz520.png
01wiz544.png

There was once a tester named Murphy
Who went to the capital of Turkey
A most pleasant host
Turned him 'to a ghost
In a way that remains very murky

Ahem. Yeah. Anyway... Good thing the ghost doesn't really hit hard. Yeah.

01wiz568.png
01wiz570.png

todd1.png
YEAHHH! I'm the boss!

And hey, 741 exp!

01wiz574.png

Damn, MCA, that still not enough for you?

mca1.png

01wiz575.png

Yeah yeah, I get it, only 19 exp needed until the next level.

01wiz581.png

To leave this area, we have to make our way through the dark zone.

01wiz588.png

And this should help with MCA's experience problem.

01wiz623.png

Hell yeah, let's go level up again.

01wiz649.png
01wiz650.png

Pete gains some Piety and Vitality (not IQ though).

01wiz656.png
01wiz657.png

Todd now has IQ of 9. :roll: But hey, it's one whole point higher than Pete's!

01wiz666.png
01wiz669.png

Sawyer learns more spells.

01wiz671.png

The new spells are Porfic, which lowers the Priest's AC by 4, and Matu, which lowers the entire party's AC by 2. Should come in handy.

01wiz679.png
01wiz681.png

Gaider is now 5 hit points healthier!

01wiz691.png
01wiz693.png

MCA levels up, but no matter how hard I re-tried and re-rolled, he couldn't learn any new spells, so I guess that's the way it should be in his (i.e., a Bishop's) case.

01wiz700.png

Laidlaw... Eh... No no no...

01wiz699.png
01wiz702.png

Much better now.

01wiz703.png

Laidlaw's new spells are Dilto, which surrounds the enemy group by darkness so they don't see the party and are easier to hit, and Sopic, which causes the caster to become transparent for the duration of combat, lowering his AC by 4.

du2.jpg
I see you're making good progress so far.

josh.png
Well, yeah, you could say we are.

du2.jpg
Study the dungeon design carefully so you can put the knowledge to good use in your next RPG.

josh.png
The South Park RPG?

du2.jpg
Er... well yeah... I guess... nevermind.

Now we could build up more levels fighting Murphy's Ghost over and over, of course, but I'm feeling suicidal, so we'll be heading straight to floor two next time!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wait, why did elves pass through the dungeon thing? :M

Nice update Bee.

Renegen

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:

Wow, talk about a tutorial map, it's quite something. I imagine that the game didn't have an in-game mapping tool, in which case the player could get quite disoriented from those teleporters and dark areas. Remins me of Shin Megami Tensei : Strange Journey and the evil things those dungeons did. Here's a snip:

4rtd3m.png

/shameless promotion

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
Filling in the levels for the sake of completeness. Showing off the level design is supposed to be the main point of this LP. (Yeah yeah I know. :P)

mca1.png
You're quite perceptive, Josh. It is indeed a map I conjured up.

josh.png
What do you mean, "conjured up"?

mca1.png
Well... I collar-grabbed him.

josh.png
"Him"?

Something you're trying to tell us, Bee? :M

Did MCA collar-grab you hard enough to turn you into a him to procure that map?

lightbane

Arcane
Ulminati said:

Intelligence: I think she was refering to Dark Underlord, MCA collargrabbed him so hard that he coughed up a map.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thx for the comments, guys!

Black said:
Aww, cheap shot.

I just... couldn't help mentioning it. Sorry. :oops:

Renegen said:
shameless promotion

Feel free to shamelessly promote Strange Journey as long as you like! It's a really awesome RPG.

lightbane said:
Ulminati said:

Intelligence: I think she was refering to Dark Underlord, MCA collargrabbed him so hard that he coughed up a map.

That was a reference to Jacob wresting with God, actually, and yes, in this case it's probably DU, or maybe not. It is a mystery for now! :)

Jaedar said:
Wait, why did elves pass through the dungeon thing?

Damn elves, the sly bastards are freakin' everywhere!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
That was a reference to Jacob wresting with God, actually, and yes, in this case it's probably DU, or maybe not. It is a mystery for now! :)

Ah. And here I thought MCA could collar-grab someone so hard they'd grow a set of gonads. I'm not sure whether I'm releived or dissapointed.

Probably a bit of both

:mhd:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Cat chicken! I forgot all these little wacky things.
Frankly, I can only remember black ribbon, knife what can turn thief into ninja and final Werdna encounter.
BTW, great LP, I laughed like mad.

Crooked Bee

Patron
EPIC FAILS
Episode 1

Meanwhile, in an alternative reality...

laidlaw1.png
Hey Pete, you sure you know what you're doing?

gaider1.jpg
Climbing down to the third floor underleveled as we are... is it really a good idea?

pete.png
No worries, man. It's all under control. We'll just take a little p---

01fail003.png

pete.png
Eek!

Several minutes later...

01fail030.png

pete4.png
Josh... I know we didn't really get along.

josh4.png
Hhhhhhh---

pete4.png
I mean, I didn't even know who you were before we found ourselves in this place together.

josh4.png
Uuugghhhh... New... Veggaaah--- *pants*

pete4.png
You mean you're the guy who did New Vegas for us?.. Sorry, Josh. I guess it doesn't matter any more.

josh4.png
Hhhhhhhhh---

pete4.png
Josh... *takes Sawyer by the hand* To think we had such a bright future ahead of us. To think we could do a new Fallout game... together.

josh4.png
Eeeeghhhh... *gasps for breath*

The screen fades to black

01fail066.png

todd1.png
Pete, look, bunnies!

pete.png
Bunnies are cute, man.

laidlaw1.png
Hey David, what's "vorpal"?

gaider1.jpg
I only know what the vorpal sword is, Mike. It's the sword that decapitated Jabberwock.

josh.png
Yeah. And in D&D, the vorpal blade cuts off opponents' hea--

01fail157.png

todd1.png
Aaahhhh! Bad bunny!

pete.png
That's horrible, man!

The screen fades to black...

Not pictured: TPK.

So much for the current content of my EPIC FAILS folder. Will do the real update in a couple of days; goddamn real life, man.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This is excellent stuff, even if we're not seeing much of the game. Do carry on! :thumbsup:

grotsnik

Arcane
So Pete Hines is calling Josh Sawyer a liar because he answered a question honestly about the Gamebryo engine on his Formspring. Is our heroic party falling apart?

Crooked Bee

Patron
grotsnik said:
So Pete Hines is calling Josh Sawyer a liar because he answered a question honestly about the Gamebryo engine on his Formspring.

Wait, what? Really? I need a link, gimme gimme it!

Sceptic said:
even if we're not seeing much of the game.

You will, o ye of little faith. The real action is only about to begin. It's just that I didn't have much time for updates lately. :(

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
There's only one way to defeat the Vorpal Bunny...

LJ5rX.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom