Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Winter Voices: Season 1: Prologue: Avalanche

Gondolin

Arcane
In this game you don't kill your enemies, you try to out last them.
Truly an innovation in french design.

Beats killing everything like in every other game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Note: I walked around town and talked to some people for XP like I said I would do earlier. There wasn't much of any particular interest, but one NPC who was apparently from a town called Sapphire Bay gave us a bit of background information on the world. Apparently the village we are located at belongs to a place (country?) called The Kingdom, which is ruled by a Queen. He also noted on how the Queen seems to like women quite a lot. Much emphasis on how much she liked women more than men.

:thumbsup:

Chapter 2: Visiting friends of the family Part II

ss20101031191042.jpg

And here we go again! We've arrived at Olov's place. Perhaps he can tell us something of our father.

Beatrix: Hello. You knew my father, didn't you?
Olov: Yes, that is right. I'm the only one in the village who owns books, and your father liked to read.
Beatrix: Really? I didn't know that

Our heroine doesn't know anything about her father, does she?

Olov: Well, it's not like we talked that often. As you know, he was the silent type. But usually when we talked, he would tell me about the times when he was still living in Sapphire Bay. And of the times he travelled.
Beatrix: He lived in Sapphire Bay?
Olov: Yes. For a long time. First alone, then with your mother. I don't know if that's where he was born, but he spent over ten years there. At the time, Sapphire Bay wasn't the capital of the Kingdom, there was no Kingdom actually.
Beatrix: And he travelled?
Olov: Yes. I think he was a sailor. I am not sure, He never told me his reason for his travels, but he often was at sea. That too, I think, he missed.
Beatrix: Do you think he regretted that?
Olov: You are the only one who can tell if the choice was the right one. I think his life here made him immensely sad. I think he had to renounce to a lot of things. I think he also knew the price of existence, and of giving birth. He was a smart and responsible man.
Olov: That is all I can say, for that is all I know of him. I am not the one privy of the rest.
Beatrix: The rest is in Sapphire Bay.
Olov: Maybe.
Beatrix: Thank you for this information, Olov.
Olov: Before you go I'd like you to have this book. As a gift. I have enough of them as it is. Please, accept it. And you are welcome to come by anytime you want to.
Beatrix: Thank you and good bye.

Well, at least we learned something about our father. I'd still like to know how he died, but maybe more on that later.

ss20101031191118.jpg

As we leave Olov's place we are attacked by shadow's again.

ss20101031192126.jpg

We survive the fight with ease and gain another level.

ss20101031192145.jpg

This time I pick a passive skill that increases our Humor. I'm going for a skill called Chaos that creates 4 clones of us. More on that later, though.

Also note to developers and future developers: Skills that increase stats are incredibly lazy and lame. Please stop that shit. Right now.

ss20101031192158.jpg

Anyway, our next destionation is Grandpa Einari, who is located here. So off we go!

ss20101031192513.jpg

Here is is house. Nothing of note has happened, so in we go.

ss20101031192524.jpg

Einari: You father was able to replace the daughter they had lost..
Beatrix: They? You mean my grandparents? Did you know them?
Einari: Of course! Your grandfather was one of my best friends. We often had dinner together, your grandparents and us. When their daughter left on her adventures, they never got over it.

Hmm. So both our father and mother were adventurers. But we still don't quite comprehend what it means to be an adventurer in this world since we don't know anything about it yet. What dangers may lurk there and so forth. We'll have to leave this crapsack village and find out for ourselves at some point, I suppose.

Tilia Einari: And then one day, he came. At the time, leaving or coming to the village was not easy. There was no road, no Kingdom.. And yet, he came, with you in his arms, who were barely one year old. Your grandparents were surprised that your mother had passed away giving birth, since, for them, she had to have died on the road, way before then.
Tilia Einari: They were not expecting much from the life in the village. They ate very little to avoid being a burden to anyone. Your arrival was a surprise and an incredible gift to them.
Beatrix: Traveling was difficult back then?
Einari: He came from Sapphire Bay. At the time, there was a smaller town; the Kingdom of the Three Rivers didn't exist and there wasn't any road up to here. As you might know, Sapphire Bay is located on the other side of the continent, near the ocean. It takes months to travel all the way there.
Einari: I don't know if he came from Sapphire Bay. I think he lived there for a very long time though.
Beatrix: Why come all this way then?
Einari: No particular reason. He considered he had to do it. He did the journey your mother couldn't do. Or never wanted to do. What your mother didn't want to pay, he paid for her. He was the only one who could. He was a man of common sense, true common sense.
Tilia Einari: He left like he came. In silence.
Beatrix: Yeah. He never even left a note, or a letter, or a will.
Tilia Einari: I.. I think I recall he did leave a will. But it is in Sapphire Bay.. I asked him, once, what would be left to his daughter if he died. He had a faint smile, like men who have lost habit of smiling tend to do, and he answered.. "I leave her the road. She is free to take it."
Beatrix: That's rather ambiguous.
Tilia Einari: Don't bother your head with this too much. You should rather think about what you want to do now. Which life you want to lead.
Einari: Tilia is right, you know. You must decide how you want to live your life now.
Beatrix: I don't know yet. Your words were very comforting. I learn a lot.
Einari: Good for you. If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate.
Beatrix: Thank you both. See you soon.

ss20101031192608.jpg

Now we must go back to Inkeri, but first we've been attacked by shadows again, and must fend them off for another 15 turns. I'm getting pissed off at this shit.
:x

ss20101031193611.jpg

After 15 turns of doing nothing but pressing the 'Next Turn' button, because the enemies aren't doing any damage to us anymore, we finally emerge victorious from the fray. Neato.

ss20101031193720.jpg

So we make our way back to Inkeri's place and report in that we have talked to all the people, rewarding us with XP for each person we talked to.
She instructs us to go out for a walk to get some fresh air. I guess we could go see what some of the villagers have to say.

By the way, this happened in between the time when I was talking with the friends of our heroines father.

ss20101031185943.jpg

Met up some bratty kid..

ss20101031185949.jpg

So we break her nose. Her father even tells us that she had it coming. :thumbsup:

Anyway, on to talking to more random NPCs!

ss20101031194334.jpg

So our character feels uneasy around men, huh.

ss20101031194515.jpg

Uhh.. Trauma much?

ss20101031194525.jpg

I'll just help myself to the door.

ss20101031194814.jpg

After several crazies later, and many women making suggestive implications hinting at lesbianism, we find ourselves at the place we are supposed to be. But we can't enter, because we have another nervous brake down and shadows appear to guard the blacksmithy.
Perhaps we had a bad experience there as a little girl and the manifestations of the shadows just represent our uneasiness to overcome whatever trauma we may have that we associate with the place.
Who knows?

ss20101031195022.jpg

As we navigate from the trap infested area we complete the mission and gain enough XP for yet another level.

ss20101031195050.jpg

This time I distribute stats differently

ss20101031195057.jpg

And we finally get Chaos. According to the tool tip it creates 4 clones that will attack near by targets (probably us included). I'm not sure what this means, however. Can they destroy the shadows? Or do they just aggro them? We'll find that out later. For now, our mission is to head back to Inkeri yet again.

ss20101031195233.jpg

Inkeri: (Worried) Well.. I would say you are simply tired, my sweet. You won't recover that easily from all that is happening to you. Get some rest, we'll talk again tomorrow, shall we?
Beatrix: I.. I have tried to go back home but.. I can't. Everytime I try I see my father.. the shadows.. I can't walk up the hill.
Inkeri: I.. I see. It's going to be fine, my sweet. Sleep here tonight, we'll see if you feel better tomorrow.
Beatrix: Thank you, Inkeri. I don't know what is happening to me.
Inkeri: You are not well, and that is understandable. Listen, sweetheart, I may have a solution. It's not really a solution actually it's more of a tool. But you have to be courageous.
Beatrix: What are you referring to?

ss20101031195319.jpg

She wants us to get high. Groovy?

Inkeri: People don't do this anymore nowadays. I have never used the drug for divinatory purposes myself. I doubt it would work actually.. However, to take some before sleeping can sometimes make dreams more.. Interesting. It also helps sleeping for sure.
Beatrix: Well.. It's not like I've got much to lose. What do I have to do?
Inkeri: Nothing in particular. Would you like a quarter of a dose or a half? I can't give you a full dose, only Volus can resist its effect.

Which makes me wonder if I had chosen Volva would that mean I could take a full dose?

Beatrix: What difference does it make?
Inkeri: A quarter would be less violent, but you may wake up sooner.. Without having enough time to see what you want to see. A half dose is heavier but would most likely allow you to get to the bottom of it.
Beatrix: I'd rather have a half dose.

Inkeri goes off for a while, and then later comes back with some warm tea. It has a suspicious aroma in it. No doubt this is the drug we must drink.

Inkeri: There, I leave you the cup here. When you feel like sleeping, just drink it. As for me, I'm going to bed. Good night.
Beatrix: Good night, Inkeri.

ss20101031195443.jpg

Things are certainly getting more interesting. Next chapter we'll be getting high and going on a spiritual journey in our dreams in search of answers as to what we should do.
Until then.

lightbane

Arcane
The idea is interesting, but I found the combat boring. Anyways, moar!!!

Cenobyte

Prophet
It doesn't really look that bad, judging from your screenshots and the vid.

Edit: And yeah, definitely continue. Psychodelic drugs, lesbianism... that's good stuff :lol:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sorry for being a lazy piece of shit, but I didn't update yesterday and I probably wont have time to do it today either. I have all the content and the script ready for Chapter 3, however. I'll try and get it done tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom