Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: W40K: Rites of War (Ultimate Victory)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It is a mystery!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You want an update? I'll give you an update.

Unfortunately, I think this one will be moderately interesting. Them genestealer hybrids and friends are not much of a threat, and most 'proper' Tyranid will appear from the next update on.

Anyway,

Mission XI - When the Walls Come Down

row1594.jpg

row1595.jpg

Here's the map (ignore the dots on it, the start-level shot of the map got bugged, and I had to take one from midgame).

row1596.jpg

Primary objective.

row1598.jpg

row1602.jpg

Secondary objective.

row1600.jpg

Final objective.

row1605.jpg

As always, we begin by moving into formation, and we are immediately attacked.

row1608.jpg

More badbros are spotted afterwards.

First we mop up the genestealer and leman russ.

row1613.jpg

row1614.jpg

Bye bye.

row1616.jpg

Then we unleash forty tonnes of napalm upon this genestealer

RtCW.jpg

row1618.jpg

But wait, what is this? It conveniently survives with 1 hp?

row1619.jpg

Oh, right. :roll:

This is the Tyranid equivalent of our exarchs' battle fortune. Incredibly annoying, it can leave a squad standing with 1hp despite 6 units pounding at it.

row1621.jpg

Fortunately, though, a Dire Avenger knocks it down, and another one attacks the leman russ.

row1622.jpg

Next turn, more genestealers come for our genes.

row1623.jpg

And some new abomination says 'hi'.

row1624.jpg

Carnifex. Real damn motherfuckers, we will hate those with a passion. Tyranid biomechanical tanks, they can withstand whole volleys of enemy fire and rip everything we have to shreds. Moreso, they are not *warmachines* but assault squads, which means our fire dragons are completely useless against them. More often than not, it takes a quarter of our whole army to bring those motherfuckers down.

Like most Tyranid melee fighters, they have Frenzy, but they are also single entities and have the Terrifying ability. Terrifying is Fearsome on steroids, which means attacked units are twice as likely to flee or break (as opposed to Fearsome's 1.5).

row1625.jpg

More stuff coming from the north.

row1626.jpg

Another defensive position. Actually, funny thing, I never played this game 'iron man' (that is, no reload after losing a unit), and now I'm like calculating the distance between enemy slaughterhouses (like the carnifex) and our forces 10 times, so we don't get too overwhelmed.

row1627.jpg

An autocannon shoops an avenger

row1628.jpg

Leman russ shoops second avengers.

row1629.jpg

Current standing. Let's get this shit on.

row1631.jpg

lololololo

That is some HUGE domoges. After checking, it turns out the immolator actually has a higher attack rate than a leman russ.

row1634.jpg

Executioner and wraithguard > hybrid lemon bus.

row1637.jpg

Hawk and vypers finish off the stealers. Meanwhile the land raider is hit for 6 damage by a fire dragon, and flees. I don't chase it, as to not compromise our formation.

row1638.jpg

Next turn, an autocannon (1) shoots a scorpion. Land raider (2) suicides to take a fire dragon's support fire from the genestealer (3) attacking one scorpion. The carnifex also rushes a scorpion.

row1643.jpg

Fortunately they can't focus fire for shit or at least one of the scorpions would have been in big trubble. I first dispose of the near-dead stealers with a vibro cannon.

row1648.jpg

I gangraep the carnifex and even drop an executioner, but it does no damage :negative:

row1650.jpg

Gotta chase this thingy away.

row1652.jpg

And finish off this shit.

I also keep trying to soften up the carnifex with just about everything I have, though it still refuses to die.

row1653.jpg

:what:

Finally, a dire avenger exarch slays it. But look at this motherfucker, he survived with barely 1 fucking hp. Wanna bet it was thanks to battle fortune?

Also, I don't know if it was a design choice or if it's a bug, but once dire avengers upgrade to exarchs, they stop using Ranged as their main attack, and instead go in with Melee, which hinders their usefulness against stuff like carnifexes quite a fucking bit.

row1654.jpg

A scorpion rips through the autocannon. And the avenger is there with 1 hp...

Insane courage? Fuck no, too early for that. Let's just form a protective circle around him and hope for the best. The rocketmen probably won't come after him anyway 'cause they're stuck protecting the prison.

row1655.jpg

row1656.jpg

Land raider + brood guard target the scorpion, and that's very much all that happens.

row1657.jpg

Plus, some more tyranid bros are spotted.

row1660.jpg

Harlequins harrass sum autocannon.

row1662.jpg

Wraithguard eradicate sum brood guards.

row1663.jpg

Vibro cannon... uh, seimics (?) the other ones to death.

And now I'm gonna show you, how retardedly powerful is Warlock Master's 'Doom' ability :smug:

row1665.jpg

WITNESS YOUR DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

row1666.jpg

Yup. A fire dragon just instakilled a land raider. Inflicting 18/15 casualties. Cool, no?

row1669.jpg

Then we pester the stealers and rocketmen a bit and end turn.

row1670.jpg

The missile team suicides, genestealers seem to do nothing.

row1674.jpg

Next turn, the autocannon is out of business.

row1675.jpg

And we check the prison (and raep the remaining genestealers)

row1676.jpg

row1678.jpg

Oh yeah, seraphim are p. cool. Just like sisters of battle, they are Heroic, so they never flee or break. They are aerial units, marginally worse than our swooping hawk exarch, and with it, they shall form our core scouting/harassing aerial party. That will prove invaluable against the tyranid melee hordes.

row1683.jpg

Moving on, we find a leman russ, and we throw some ITZ at it.

row1684.jpg

Awww, no instakill this time :(

row1686.jpg

Seraphim finish the deed.

row1687.jpg

While warp spiders smack down an autocannon, previously made useless by the harlequins.

row1688.jpg

Enemy forces occupying the final objective.

row1689.jpg

And some on the secondary one.

There's no reason to get everyone out here, so I'll split forces, so we can attack the island-fortress from two sides.

row1691.jpg

Eastern detachment arrives to the scene, greeted by sum hybrids.

row1693.jpg

While in the west, hawk investigates the city, but finds nothing, and a vyper rapes the autocannon.

row1694.jpg

In a single turn, we liberate the eastern prison.

row1698.jpg

Oh well. Seraphim get this thing, let's see what it is.

row1704.jpg

Meh. Fairly useless.

row1702.jpg

Meanwhile, a genestealer tries to flank.

row1703.jpg

Immolator doesn't quite like it.

row1706.jpg

Hawk scouts the western front and spots a magus in the northern citadel.

row1707.jpg

Genestealer hybrid psykers. Not really that lethal, actually pretty useless as far as psykers go. No special abilities, and psyker powers are as follows:

- Hypnotic gaze - unit attacked by an enemy enhanced with this can respond with only half its attacks.
- Horror - if a unit fails a morale check at half its leadership, it becomes broken.

row1710.jpg

In the meantime, an autocannon is taken down.

row1711.jpg

Yeah, that's hypnotic gaze.

row1712.jpg

A genestealer thinks it's clever and assaults a scorpion.

row1716.jpg

Meanwhile, another beast is brought to its knees in the east.

row1717.jpg

The western one soon follows.

row1718.jpg

And we begin a full scale assault upon the motherfuckers.

Vibro cannon, spiders, hawk (1, 2, 3) attack the guardsmen, while vyper and off-screen harlequins (4, 5) take out the autocannon.

row1724.jpg

A missile team appears and opens fire on the fragile vypers.

row1728.jpg

The hybrids are quickly mopped up.

row1729.jpg

Immolator, hawk and scorpion kill the magus. Harlequin charges the guardsmen.

row1733.jpg

And another harlequin attacks the cornered guardsmen. They attempt to flee, but since there's only deep water next to them, all they can do is surrender (or keep running and drown, I suppose?)

row1735.jpg

All too easy.

row1736.jpg

Victoly!

row1737.jpg

row1738.jpg

This will be a p. cool map, iirc. And we shall meet proper tyranids this time, which will give many occasions for raep.

row1739.jpg

We inspect the barracks. Since we got a new unit (seraphim), something had to be kicked. I am *not* skipping the seraphim, so I confined the vibro cannon to the barracks because I think it's the least useful in our current roster.

Some exarchs get new abilities, among them a swooping hawk.

row1743.jpg

Yup, I know I said all exarchs should get battle fortune ASAP, but hawks are an exception. Hawks get *excellent* movement, scouting and survivability boosts thanks to hit'n'run.

Also, our harlequins can be upgraded.

row1744.jpg

One into a greater harlequin.

row1745.jpg

Yeah, this is pretty much a harlequin exarch. Same functionality, abilities, etc.

row1746.jpg

But the second one becomes a death jester.

row1747.jpg

From scouts, death jesters become devastators. They retain the harlequin abilities such as Lethal, Invisibility and Fearsome, but they get a range of 2, and are able to nail down support fire for attacked adjacent units. They make pretty neat sidekicks, and do quite good damage to soft targets.

And that's all for now. Next update, we liberate dragon bones and fallen fortresses. Stay tuned :M

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Imo, death jesters suck. No reason to not have a fire dragon or dark reaper instead.

The (de)briefing this update is p cool.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jaedar said:
Imo, death jesters suck. No reason to not have a fire dragon or dark reaper instead.

Fire dragons and dark reapers don't have Lethal, which is enough of a reason to consider a death jester. Besides, Jesters have a movement of 4, which makes them p. mobile, unlike dragons/reapers that can lag behind your main force if you are on the move.

Luigi

Barely Literate
I dont think the clusterfuck pictures with the lines work well as a presentation format.

And if you are cutting and pasting those combat results onto 1 picture, imo you can drop it. Saves time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And if you are cutting and pasting those combat results onto 1 picture, imo you can drop it. Saves time.

Yeah, kinda figured as much, and I'm progressively cutting down on them, guess I'll drop that altogether. Who the fuck can be bothered counting those anyway.

Luigi said:
I dont think the clusterfuck pictures with the lines work well as a presentation format.

Perhaps, but I don't really see any better alternative to show, at least, troop movement. And no, showing each one's action during the turn is out of the question 'cause that would make the updates 150 pictures long and kill my bandwidth superfast.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can now discuss!! what new units you would like to see either from our barracks, or freshly recruited...

just sayin'

spekkio

Arcane
Fuck the haters, I like the idea. Plus it's legible.

WH40K games from late 90-ties look damn interesting...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mission XII - Great Vengeance

row1748.jpg

row1749.jpg

Here's the map. (Again, ignore the dots because, again, I had to take a screen from the middle of the level, as the starting map shot got bugged. Even though I took it three times. Don't ask me why it happens)

Much to see here, much to do.

row1751.jpg

row1753.jpg

I, for one, would love to see some of those buttresses.

row1755.jpg

Objective alpha. Did I mention how lovely the maps look? Especially the attention to detail. Check the bridge, complete with an Imperial skull at the side and a reflection in the water. Barrels of toxic waste, gun batteries. Good stuff.

row1757.jpg

Bravo.

row1759.jpg

Charlie. We shall receive the power of the voidbonedragon here

row1761.jpg

Another generic fortress.

row1763.jpg

We start by forming a steel wall and casting fortune.

row1764.jpg

Multiple hostiles spotted right away.

row1765.jpg

INCOMIIIIIIING

row1766.jpg

row1767.jpg

row1768.jpg

Pfff. Suckers don't even know what they don't know.

row1769.jpg

Gotta clear all this shit up.

row1778.jpg

There! Much better.

row1779.jpg

A leman russ approaches, and blows up 10 wraithguard. Yeah, as I said, those buggers need to be kept in the back 'cause, at this point, just about everything can rip them to shreds if it attacks first.

row1780.jpg

:smug:

row1781.jpg

Hell fucking yes, I love Doom.

row1782.jpg

I sent the hawk and seraphim westward, to pester some genestealers and investigate the bunker.

row1783.jpg

Some minor enemy forces are spotted in the southern generic citadel.

row1785.jpg

Alright, guess the aerial units will need more support after all...

row1787.jpg

Meanwhile, in the east, the warlock's executioner blows up an autocannon.

row1789.jpg

Brood guard follow soon.

row1790.jpg

Did I mention how lovely are aerial units against tyranid melees?

row1792.jpg

But their ranged support is still something to be aware of.

row1793.jpg

The bunker is now guarded by genestealers and two leman russes. This will be ugly, but it's obvious there's stuff to be had inside.

row1796.jpg

We split our forces, some will go south, the others west, and then south.

row1798.jpg

The western detachment mops up the remaining cannon fodder and proceeds towards the bunker.

row1799.jpg

Here's the situation in the east. Going headfirst into the citadel would be unwise, so we shall proceed from the side, to lure the leman russ first.

row1800.jpg

Also, more opposition on the objectives. Lots of them.

row1801.jpg

Here we proceed hex-by-hex, as to not get overwhelmed, since the enemy forces here are sizeable.

row1802.jpg

The leman russ comes to us, just as planned.

row1803.jpg

Even some genestealers from the south decided to come join the fun. The more we kill now, the less we'll have to deal with later, so it's cool.

row1805.jpg

So long, genestealers. After that, we use doom on the leman russ :smug:

row1807.jpg

:smug: :smug: :smug:

row1808.jpg

The western detachment arrives within 'firing range' of the enemy. One leman russ attacks the dire avenger, but scores no wounds. The other attacks the warp spiders, scoring 7 kills. Then the genestealers rush the warp spiders...

... I was *sure* they were beyond their movement range.

row1813.jpg

:rage:

Casualty number... 4, is it? Fuck, those fucking warp spiders were already at level 6, soon they'd get exarched and would kick serious ass. Fuck.

row1811.jpg

Here, I was very :smug: for a second. You see, the genestealers charged, and headed straight into the invisible striking scorpion, which meant they got ambushed.

Units doing the ambush get massive +++++ to just about every stat, so I expected raep against the genestealers.

AND WHAT DO I SEE? THE SCORPION IS LEFT WITH 1 HP.

row1814.jpg

AFTER WHICH HE GETS KILLED BY THE MISSILE TEAM

AtomicFFFFFF.jpg

Striking Scorpion Exarch becomes casualty number 5, joining a bunch of guardians, normal striking scorpions, a falcon and the warp spiders.

Massive fucking casualties, this was not supposed to fucking happen, what the fuck.

And I have nothing to replace the scorpions with (yet). We just lost half of our melee bulk + promising warp spiders.

There will be time for mourning later, we have to avenge our fallen brothers. "Great Vengeance" indeed.

row1815.jpg

I'll deck u in cheeky kunts :x

row1819.jpg

Surround them first with our biggest hitters.

row1821.jpg

End result: genestealers are taken down, one leman russ is reduced to 1 hp and broken, the other has 6 hp.

row1822.jpg

And here we kill the genestealers and missile team.

Our bros are avenged :salute:

row1831.jpg

Next turn we get rid of the leman russ remnants and check the bunker.

row1832.jpg

Well, that's cool. That's at least something to cover the loss of the warp spiders a little.

row1833.jpg

And here we liberate this fortress, but find nothing inside.

row1835.jpg

The western generic citadel is guarded by a brood whirlwind.

row1836.jpg

Same deal as all the other hijacked Brood vehicles.

row1838.jpg

An autocannon bites the dust.

row1839.jpg

Another genestealer squad falls into our trap. Fortunately, even though we no longer have a scorpion here, the dire avengers act pretty well as tanks, too.

row1841.jpg

Here I pestered the whirlwind a bit with the hawk and seraphim, which turned out not quite well, but fortunately, the dumb AI decided to launch rockets at the full-hp seraphim, instead of the half dead hawk.

row1843.jpg

We dispose of the whirlwind the next turn.

row1844.jpg

Another massive enemy mass spotted at objective Alpha. This might turn out very ugly.

row1845.jpg

We liberate the dragon bones.

row1846.jpg

Cool. Blood of Isha makes a squad regenerate one wound per turn, and removes the broken status at the end of every turn.

row1847.jpg

The western xenos launch an offensive. The land raider gets serious damage from our support fire.

row1848.jpg

Half of the terminators are dropped by the missile team.

row1849.jpg

While a genestealer gets raepd by the Dire Avenger.

Cool thing about the Avenger exarchs is that they have pretty high initiative, which often makes them attack before the assaulting genestealers, severely wounding the beasts before their attack.

row1855.jpg

Next turn everything is taken down. Didn't turn out that bad.

row1857.jpg

But in the east, a land raider rushes the wraithguard, leaving barely 4 alive. Fuck, it's good that I keep spamming Fortune every turn, on everything possible.

row1858.jpg

And another genestealers suicides against our western steel wall.

That's another cool thing about Death Jesters. Since they are invisible, the enemy will often carelessly charge into our ranks, not expecting support fire.

row1859.jpg

The land raider is disposed of.

row1863.jpg

We liberate objective Alpha, and eliminate the remaining hybrids.

row1864.jpg

row1868.jpg

Time for the last assault.

row1869.jpg

MOTHERFUCKING...

The leman russ nearly blows up the immolator, leaving it at 1 fucking hp. Did I mention how glad I am that I keep spamming fortune on everything, every turn?

row1871.jpg

Bye bye, leman russ.

row1873.jpg

We are joined by the western detachment and can unleash rape.

row1874.jpg

row1875.jpg

Excellent!

We liberate the citadel, find nothing inside, and win.

row1878.jpg

Briefing for the next mission.

row1879.jpg

And now comes the problem. We have two empty spots in our army, due to our fallen warp spiders and scorpion. And I don't really think we have anything that useful to replace them with.

Well, the warp spiders can be replaced with just about anything that shoots, I guess, but we have nothing melee in the barracks.

What should I get? Units stashed in the barracks right now are as follows:

Level 7 Fire Dragons, 2x Level 0 Guardians (Kingcomrade option), level 7 Sisters of Battle and Space Marines, level 1 warwalker, and level 6/7 scatter laser and vibro cannon.

And I guess buying new level 0 units (like, dunno, howling banshees) is not much of a good idea right now. It would take ages to level them to usefulness, and they would get MASSACRED by everything we're facing right now, even the pathetic brood guards, I guess.

We can choose two. Discuss!!!!

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Take the Fire dragons and the SoB squad I guess.

raep incoming now that you don't have a good melee force :)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why not take a level 0 recruit? If you're careful, you can use it to finish off stragglers and it'll level up nicely very quickly. I've been doing that with quite a lot of success. Of course, it requires some babysitting, but it's not impossible.

I'd say get another Scorpion and another Spider. They're awesome units. :smug:

Monocause

Arcane
How did you get the game running properly? It's crashing on me every couple of minutes.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Monocause said:
How did you get the game running properly? It's crashing on me every couple of minutes.

Well, uh, I installed it and started playing :D

Dunno, maybe you have some bad torrent/version/whatever? I've had this game's CD for like ten years now, and it's always been working.

Runs pretty stable for me, too. No crashes whatsoever, the only thing I'm getting are too fast animations and some minor graphical bugs in text because it doesn't like 32-bit colours much.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Right, I guess I'll take fire dragons and sisters for great justice, then.

Azira said:
Why not take a level 0 recruit? If you're careful, you can use it to finish off stragglers and it'll level up nicely very quickly. I've been doing that with quite a lot of success. Of course, it requires some babysitting, but it's not impossible.

I'd say get another Scorpion and another Spider. They're awesome units. :smug:

Meh, I dunno. I mean, I've also been doing that on a couple of playthroughs, but the squads usually have trouble actually achieving Exarch status when near the very last missions, and on their way there, they are usually useless as shit for the longer part, clogging up your army cap, while you could take an experienced spehs marine unit or something from the barracks instead.

Plus, leveling melees now would be completely impossible. It's easy with ranged squads because they can get cheap xp from targeting melee units like genestealers and stuff, while melee bros would have to feed exclusively on ~5hp targets or they'd get obliterated. And you don't always get ~5hp targets.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mission XIII - Crystal Grove

row1880.jpg

row1881.jpg

Right, this is a pretty honest-to-god skirmish map. Only two structures to check out, 'wipe the enemy off the map' objective.

We don't even get a traditional 'lose it and fail' dropship at the start.

row1883.jpg

row1885.jpg

row1888.jpg

We fall into position and wait for the incoming hordes. A brood guard squad dies from support fire, trying to attack terminators, autocannon shoops a fire dragon exarch, inflicting very minor wounds.

row1891.jpg

Some new weird-ass enemies are spotted.

row1892.jpg

Termagants. Tyranid foot soldiers, only marginally better than brood guardsmen in attack, while actually having less defence, I think. They often tend to die from a single attack, so their threat rating is basically 0. Their only use is sending waves of them against our troops to pile up the swarming attack bonuses for other tyranid.

They look p. smug in that top right picture, though.

row1893.jpg

We do some mopping up here. The hybrids don't pose too much danger, so it goes on without problems.

row1896.jpg

Bye bye autocannon. The rocketmen join soon, after the warlock throws a multiheaded spear at them.

row1899.jpg

OH MY GOD, NO, NOT TERMAGANTS.

row1900.jpg

A vyper on its own leaves the termagants at 1 hp. That's how shitty they are.

row1904.jpg

Multiple hostiles dead ahead.

The hawk flies out to harrass the autocannon.

row1907.jpg

During its turn, it decides it's a marvelous idea to attack without pulling back. Dies in the process.

row1908.jpg

Land raider fires upon seraphim, but gets burned badly by support fire.

row1909.jpg

While a genestealer suicides trying to steal some genes from a dire avenger.

row1912.jpg

More opposition.

row1913.jpg

Oh noes!

row1914.jpg

Another pretty effective mop up (fuck, I'm getting tired of these useless hybrids)

row1923.jpg

Oh my, something new is spotted.

row1924.jpg

Hormagaunts are another type of Tyranid melee forces. Worse than genestealers in every possible way. Lower movement, considerably lesser melee rating, comparable defence. I think it's pretty weird we face genestealers before hormagaunts in the campaign.

Just like their better brethren, hormagaunts have Frenzy and Swarming Attack abilities.

row1925.jpg

Leman russ fires upon the seraphim. Yeah, those warmachines are not to be underestimated, even if we have gazillions of fire dragons and max level units.

row1926.jpg

Hey, something new.

row1927.jpg

Also, a hormagaunt dies from the combined fire of dire avenger/fire dragon. Did I mention they blow? Not as much as termagants, maybe, but they're also fairly sucky.

row1928.jpg

Here's the new enemy. Gargoyles are Tyranid aerial units, but nowhere near as useful as our Swooping Hawks or Imperial Seraphim/jump marines. Their damage and defence is pathetic, even with the Cloud Attack ability. Their only saving grace is probably the amazing movement (8 hexes per turn), which the AI will often use to capture our dropships. It actually makes them a priority for extermination, despite their seriously lacking other qualities. You should never let gargoyles get away to safety 'cause it can bite you in the arse.

row1931.jpg

Doom <3 The sight of a leman russ getting instagibbed always amuses me.

row1932.jpg

Some more enemy stuff incoming. The lictor actually inflicts 5 wounds upon the vypers. Termagants, naturally, die.

row1940.jpg

Here's some more enemies near the fallen fortress. Taking it will be cakewalk.

row1942.jpg

OH GOD NO NOT GARGOYLES.

row1945.jpg

Fire Dragon and Swooping Hawk eliminate the autocannon, Dire Avenger checks the site and severely harms the hybrid guardsmen.

row1947.jpg

Well, guardsmen missile team is not exactly something we need now, with 4 devastators in our army...

Whatev, we'll just boot them to the barracks after this mission is over.

row1949.jpg

Finished off the sucky guardsmen. A carnifex appeared in the east.

row1950.jpg

Our flying units may not do much damage against those behemoths (in fact, neither the seraphim, nor the hawk did any), but they're great for blocking them from approaching your bros.

row1951.jpg

More hybrids die to our exarch.

row1954.jpg

Missile team actually scores the kill on the carnifex.

row1953.jpg

And here are the last enemies, guarding the crystal grove.

row1956.jpg

We cockblock the melee bastards with aerial units while fire dragons farm xp to achieve exarch level.

row1959.jpg

Eventually, the tyranids die out, except a bunch of fleeing termagants, and the grove is ours for the taking.

row1960.jpg

Cool.

row1961.jpg

Zing!

row1962.jpg

Man, I can't say this is one of my favourite missions in Rites of War. In fact, I guess it's one of the worst. Too easy skirmish against waves of hybrids, too linear, too small, uninspired with not too many control points.

Fortunately, as far as I remember, coming ones are completely different from this one.

row1963.jpg

row1964.jpg

A rescue mission. Cool.

In the army roster, I kick the missile team to the barracks.

row1966.jpg

Fire Dragons become exarchs.

row1967.jpg

And here's the artifact from the grove. It immediately goes to one of the dire avengers.

Stun Attack makes attacked enemies retaliate with only half their strength. Pretty neat little thing. Fearsome is also a nice bonus.

And that's all for today. The next mission should be more eventful than this one, so stay tuned :M

Last edited:

Luigi

Barely Literate
In Medieval Europe, Termagant was the name given to a god that the Europeans believed Muslims worshipped.

Tyranid == Muslims

It all makes sense now!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mission XIV - To The Rescue

row1968.jpg

row1969.jpg

Alright, here's a peninsula (or at least looks like it) for us to conquer.

row1970.jpg

Objective alpha.

row1972.jpg

row1974.jpg

row1976.jpg

Objective beta.

I am *not* going to split my forces again, like in that mission two updates ago. We'll steamroll to the spire first, then we'll investigate the dropship.

row1980.jpg

Multiple melee opponents are spotted from the get-go. I placed aerial units on the front to block them from attacking.

row1982.jpg

The cock block manuever seems to have worked. But there's more incoming, in massive numbers, too.

row1983.jpg

First thing we do is eliminate all those genestealers and hormagaunts.

row1992.jpg

Then wait for the bastards to come.

row1996.jpg

Whirlwind, gargoyles and lictors are down. Genestealers survive with 2 and 5 hp.

row2007.jpg

Leman russ arrives to the scene.

row2009.jpg

It's quickly dispatched, too. Some termagants are spotted to the NE, the vypers harrass them pretty well, inflicting 12 wounds. I send the death jester and seraphim after the fleeing genestealers.

row2011.jpg

And here's what the seraphim spots. Right next to it. Sending it so far from the main bulk of our troops was DUMB.

It's possible that I might have doomed them in the process...

row2016.jpg

First comes the whilwind. Shit shit shit.

row2017.jpg

Phew... that was nothing short of a miracle.

row2019.jpg

Right, the vypers and hawk will keep pestering those gits.

row2022.jpg

While here we fall into position, and await the coming of the swarm.

The whirlwind and land raider leave the dire avenger at 4 hp, while the genestealer is completely fried by support fire.

row2025.jpg

Meanwhile, the mob of termagants is trying to get a piece of the swooping hawk. They fail a lot, and all of them are down to half strength.

row2032.jpg

The gargoyles and genestealers are effective mopped up. Whirlwind survives at 7 hp.

And the land raider has warp field.

It was brought down to 1 hp by the scorpion and fire dragon. Then I sent two more fire dragons and the great harlequin after it and it STILL WOULD NOT DIE, MOTHERFUCKING WARP FIELD :x

row2042.jpg

The hawk is almost done slaughtering termagants.

row2044.jpg

Some more xenos come to join the fun. One of the fire dragons is half-dead, as attacking the land raider previously left it at 3 hp, after which the retreating whirlwind softened it even further. Fortunately, there's a huge mountain between the dragon and the swarm, so it's safe.

row2045.jpg

I SHOT THE FUCKING LAND RAIDER THREE TIMES AGAIN, AND IT WOULD STILL NOT DIE :x

row2046.jpg

row2047.jpg

The tank is finally turned into scrap. The lictor soon follows, hormagaunts are down to 3 hp.

row2053.jpg

Hormagaunts suicide, other stuff charges with no major successes.

row2057.jpg

Mopping up, we can move on.

Also, goddammit, it's annoying that some of the squads that would be really useful on the front, like terminators and wraithguard, are slow as fucking hell. That's because they have formation movement, which makes their movement halved for forests and stuff. And this map is full of forests and stuff...

row2062.jpg

The spire is protected by the following enemies. Nothing too serious.

row2067.jpg

lol lictor.

row2068.jpg

Fuck, why do those wraithguard have to be so fucking flimsy? If a friggin missile team takes them down to half hp, that's something terribly wrong.

row2073.jpg

So long hybrids :salute:

row2079.jpg

So long hybrid tank :salute:

row2080.jpg

So long hybrid psyker :salute:

All too easy...

Let's check the spire.

row2082.jpg

row2083.jpg

Yeah, this artifact is not something you'd like to have on ANY of your units. Gonna stash it in the artifact vault when we're done.

Also, at this point I think it's safe to split forces. A very small detachment goes east, to the orbital defence post, while everything else will liberate the dropship

row2084.jpg

The AA battery is protected by a carnifex and some hybrid bros. Nothing too serious.

row2087.jpg

Bye, hybrids.

row2089.jpg

Main force arrives at the aircraft. Not many enemies present, should be easy.

row2090.jpg

The carnifex is downed, the hawk investigates the fort.

row2091.jpg

ackbar.jpg

Capturing unit takes minor damage, and a brood autocannon pops out.

row2094.jpg

Dire Avenger doesn't take shit from hybrids, and blasts the autocannon with one hit :M

row2095.jpg

Meanwhile in the north, another Avenger inflicts 10 wounds upon a friggin land raider.

Dire Avenger Exarchs are ultimate units. Ultimate, I tell you. Those motherfuckers are tough and do great damage against just about everything you throw them at.

row2098.jpg

Then it's just mopping up, and we can check the dropship.

row2102.jpg

We enter the dropship, and achieve maximum brofist with a bunch of level 9 dark reapers :brofist:

row2103.jpg

Success!

row2104.jpg

Cool. We'll get a farseer in this mission. Farseers are p. cool guys :M

row2105.jpg

Dark Reapers immediately boot out an Exarch to serve our cause.

row2106.jpg

We now have 5 devastators in our army. That's... cool, I guess? :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom