Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

Bob

Novice
Gondolin said:
What credibility does young upstart Anthony have?

Not much - which really should be enough. You start off in a state of disbelief and then you need reasons for believing things. Otherwise anyone can accuse anyone else of anything, and soon enough the only thing to do is sell out your neighbour before he does it to you. Get your neighbour to be the one being tortured before he has you tortured. That sort of environment renders accurate intelligence impossible to get, because no-one has anything to gain by being honest.

From the top down you'll see Turcov topple people above and around him - who you may not care for - but you'll also be aware that you're above him, and that he'll have to work with people around him who will be aware of his actions.

This sort of infighting's just bad all round. Any competent commander squashes it flat. You don't appoint leaders by simply picking the toughest, sneakiest mofo in the joint. You've got to actually be able to trust them.

There's no point taking out the opposition if everyone knows you've taken out the opposition. As much as you might want them gone you want it quiet.

Gondolin

Arcane
Not really. Turcov has far more credibility and resources than Anthony. His word carries more weight with the other barons, none of whom know Anthony or particularly like him.

Esquilax

Arcane
I agree with Gondolin. I think that all of Turcov's talk about elections and overhauling the system is just that: talk. He doesn't mean a word of it, and he's just as determined to hold onto his newfound power as anyone else. Why would Turcov turn on the Camarilla at this point, the man has nothing to gain from going Anarch. He's a highly respected respected Baron and his childe is Sheriff, why the fuck would he give that up? And say that the Anarchs publish their newspaper: no sweat off Turcov's back, because he's highly regarded in the city and pays lip service to "controversial" and "revolutionary" views, he can dismiss it all as slander.

Here's the crux of it: Turcov has gained a lot of power over the last few months and we have nothing to offer him in exchange for putting that power at risk. Siding with the Anarchs would mean putting all that he's earned on the line, and he's well-regarded enough within London to dismiss anything the Anarchs publish as slander, so there's no threat of blackmail either. What does Anthony have to offer Turcov in exchange for toppling Eames? The only thing I can think of is the possibility of being Prince, but then where does that leave Kirkbeck?

Unlike Turcov, Anthony's position isn't nearly as secure. He's the new guy and he's poorly regarded by the other Barons who are itching for an excuse to undermine him. We have much more to lose than Turcov from this whole Hob affair.

C seems like the smart option, I understand. But I don't think that's the case - we need a strong, unified front and Turcov won't be able to provide that. Even on the unlikely circumstance he does join, it'll cause a ton of internal friction with Kirkbeck. I assume Kirkbeck's motivations for joining the Anarchs are (a) revenge and (b) to re-establish himself as Prince.

If we want allies, we need to look elsewhere. Goddamnit, we need Erika. If she were around, we could use her to parley with her clanmates and get them on our side. Hopefully she'll catch wind of our predicament and come to our side soon enough.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
We don't have elsewhere to look, what we need is Turcov's support, because he has enough influence to turn the other barons against Eames. Turcov may have nothing to lose but he has lot to gain by getting rid of Eames, he's right one step below her.

And I don't care about friction with Kirkbeck, we'll only endure the company of Anarchs for as long as it takes to solve this matter.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Esquilax said:
Here's the crux of it: Turcov has gained a lot of power over the last few months and we have nothing to offer him in exchange for putting that power at risk.

How about: MOAR power at Eames' expense? [palpatine] POWER! UNLIMITED POWER! [/palpatine]

Esquilax said:
Siding with the Anarchs would mean putting all that he's earned on the line, and he's well-regarded enough within London to dismiss anything the Anarchs publish as slander, so there's no threat of blackmail either.

How about not siding with the Anarchs but bringing Eames before a Camarilla court on charges of infernalism, just like Hawksmoor has been all those decades ago? That course of action would appease the Anarchs to some degree (they'd perceive it as the Camarilla finally doing somehting useful, hell they'd celebrate forcing the Camarilla to do something useful) and hopefuly remove the fucking Hob from our city.

Excidium said:
We don't have elsewhere to look, what we need is Turcov's support, because he has enough influence to turn the other barons against Eames. Turcov may have nothing to lose but he has lot to gain by getting rid of Eames, he's right one step below her.

And I don't care about friction with Kirkbeck, we'll only endure the company of Anarchs for as long as it takes to solve this matter.

Pretty much this.

Gondolin

Arcane
Excidium said:
We don't have elsewhere to look

Well, not exactly. :)

As Grotsnik wrote two pages back:

And then we come to the independent groups, should Sommers wish to seek their help; the Daughters of Cacophony beneath St. Paul's, who hardly intervene in Camarilla affairs, the Samedi Osazema, the Giovanni, who have good reason to loathe the Tremere, perhaps even the mysterious Setite...

(Basically, if you do vote to have Sommers take on Eames, I'll probably give you a couple of votes asking where you'd want him to seek help.)

As for Turcov's loyalty in a war against Eames:

Turcov I wouldn't like to speculate on.

Basically our situation is this: Turcov cannot be trusted, Eames should be stopped before she does something incredibly stupid, the Nosferatu might help, some of the other barons may like to see Eames fall, the Anarchs will help to a certain extent and we have a potential ally inside Eames' chantry. On the flip side, the Sabbat is preparing to strike again, some of the barons will turn on us, some of the Kindred will accuse us of doing the Anarchs' work and Turcov will knife us in the back like a motherfucker.

I vote for war. :D

Kz3r0

Arcane
Astonishing how many people enjoy to be blackmailed and pushed around by some punk.
Great way to achieve power there.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Just to know, do you guys really think that Turcov and Eames wouldn't find suspicious that we are the only ones left out by the pamphlet?
Be warned, we are effectively going at war alongside with the Anarchs, such good will do to the Camarilla, and to us.

ironyuri

Kz3r0 said:
Just to know, do you guys really think that Turcov and Eames wouldn't find suspicious that we are the only ones left out by the pamphlet?
Be warned, we are effectively going at war alongside with the Anarchs, such good will do to the Camarilla, and to us.

He's not just some punk. He's the fucking leader of the London Anarchs who has survived at least a century longer than Tony has as an embraced fucking TWELVE YEAR OLD. He's not some fucking brujah pussy neonate iconoclast, there's a reason a kindred in the body of a twelve year old has survived more than a hundred years in the Anarchs and it's probably because he could rip Tony's spine out of his asshole and stick it back in through his mouth in one swift movement.

Killing him will not cut the fucking cheese right now, unless Tony wants not only to be embarassed by Griddle and then have his name smeared in the Anarch publication that's going out. If Griddle doesn't kill Tony, he'll make sure that he gets fucked in the ass later anyway.

laclongquan

Arcane
I, ah, dont think hidden brute power is the key to his long survival. There's always other bigger brutes abound, one of whom would be too stupid to behave and blindly attack him. No, I think his survival is due to his political skills in manipulating would-be rivals into fighting each other, and intel gathering, as well as his Malkavian Seeress.

Considering this current operation of his: He got one highly placed source in Camarilla government that fed him all kind of information he want. That is the ruling Prince. But this Prince is known to be impotent, and are now in protective custody of a Tremere regent, so his actual military power is non-existant. His opponent is a Triumvirate: Turcov with his fighting force, Eames with her political Kindred resources, and Sommers with his Kine politicians. Sommers is the weakest chink in that armor: he can ensure that the Masquerade is kept, a key point of Camarrilla policies, but he's newly ascendant and not respected by other Barons.

By manipulating Sommers into intrigues against the other two, or seduce him into Anarch corner, the political heads of Camarrilla will be reduced in effectiveness, all without costing Anarch's recources anything. A masterful tactic from a masterful tactician.

Which is why I am really reluctant to choose A B or C. Any of those 3 is playing straight into Griddle's hand and by extension, Anarch's hands. D is full of risk but very much the True Camarrilla way. Plus it throw the monkey wrench into his operation, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Bob

Novice
After he leaves, we may want to have some claymores or something set up so that we can kill anyone in our office not sitting in our seat. Then next time someone makes a threat like this killing them is more... plausible.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Indeed. We could install some sort of electric discharge system activated with just a button in our desk.

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 9 - A Busy Fucking Night

Sommers watches the tiny figure of Griddle, far below, walk unhurriedly across the pavement, heading south. On the opposite side of the road, a dirty-looking white van pulls up; the back doors open, and the Anarch hops up, and in.

He returns to his desk, and presses at a buzzer on his phone.

A few moments later, Antonia steps into the office, clutching a batch of files.

“Where’s Fellowes?” Sommers snaps, returning to his chair. "Get him in here. We're going to discuss the drastic refurbishment of this office."

She gazes at him, a little disconcerted.

“He’s in Kent,” she says at last. “You – sent him there, he’ll be back tomorrow night.”

He begins to calm.

“All right,” he mutters. His eyes return to the ghastly pamphlet, spread across his desk. “Fine. Tell the Brujah to get the car ready. It’s going to be a busy fucking night.”

The great glass conservatory has been built into the roof of one of Richmond’s familiar, high, stretching even further upwards. From here the dark serpent of the river is visible; and beyond it, the hedges and famous pagoda tower of Kew.

Rodyon Turcov reclines, amongst rare cacti, sloping vines and peculiar-looking ferns, his arms draped across a low wicker chair; a louche Adam gone to seed in a predatory Eden.

He gestures, with a friendly enough nod, for to Sommers to take a seat, and continues to listen intently to the pale young Toreador stood before him, who continues to recite aloud, in a high-pitched, uncertain voice,

‘And lo! From sweet Father Thames’ spring-birth in night,
The calling of Brutus, Trojan son, to found a new land,
And the rise of Roman steel, raised beneath noble Caesar’s might
The city cries out for one magnificent patron’s hand,
One of Eastern blood, the Czar’s most royal seed
To rise, two thousand years since, and bring to this city
Salvation; ‘’tis Turcov!’ the Thames cries. ‘’tis Turcov we need!’
And with similar words, Baron, do I end my poor ditty.’

The Toreador makes an absurdly deep, low bow, and remains held there for several seconds until Turcov begins to clap.

“Bravo!” he cries, with apparent enthusiasm. “Isn’t he marvellous, Anthony? You know, I’ve never been certain how these Toreadors do it. It’s in their blood, I suppose, so there’s no point crying about it…but dammit, I’d love to be able to write myself.”

“Yes,” Sommers replies, dully. “Very talented. Turcov, could we…”

Turcov flaps a hand at the Toreador.

“Out, Walter,” he says. “Very fine. We shall see if we can’t commission a chapbook for you. If you’re feeling hungry, go downstairs and tell the cooks I said to let you into the ice-room. Plenty of vitae of all sorts there.”

Walter nods his head, fervently, in gratitude, before scuttling past Sommers and down the spiral staircase, out of sight.

Turcov waits, patiently, for the door to slam far below.

“Well,” he continues, stretching out his arms with lazy contentedness, “what can I do for you tonight?”

Sommers tosses Griddle’s pamphlet across the conservatory floor. It lands at Turcov’s feet, and his bushy grey eyebrows raise in quiet surprise.

Then, with a low grunt, he stoops forward, lifts it up, and begins to read. His pace is unhurried, and he moves through page after page, reading intently, in absolute silence.

Finally, he closes it, and places it carefully down on the arm of his wicker chair.

“If you’ll excuse me reverting to a language I have striven to forget,” he murmurs, “I think my sire would have said of this, likha beda nachalo. You realise there’s only one person who could have given them all of these...speculations?”

“Listen to me, Turcov,” Sommers says, leaning forward in his chair. “That's not important. What’s important is that within the week, Griddle’s going to put that pamphlet out across the capital. He says it means civil war. Well…maybe he’s right, maybe not. Maybe our Kindred are all so idle and happy from years of sucking on necks unimpeded that they don’t care what their Camarilla gets up to. Maybe it’ll just mean a few more disillusioned recruits over to the Anarch cause, who’ll smash windows and shout in the street, making noise and achieving nothing.”

“But what concerns me, what truly concerns me, is that someone who matters more to the global cause than you or Eames or I gets their hands on that fucking pamphlet. And suddenly a justicar or, Caine help us, someone worse, asks, ‘Just what the hell happened to London after Mithras left’? And Vienna announces it’s going to resolve the chaos in this city, restore faith in the Camarilla, get rid of the bad apples…and every one of us ends up being swept aside into the Thames to make way for some foreigners who can be trusted.”

Turcov’s expression does not alter. The full light of the moon breaks and splits through the glass, casting shadows through the conservatory, catching on his silver hair.

“We strike first,” Sommers presses. “We strike first, and none of that happens. We pre-empt Griddle’s pamphlet, we get it all out into the open, announce it as if we’re discovering it for the first time, and condemn the Tremere for dealing in infernalism. Once the news about the fucking creature in Eames’ basement gets out, nobody’s going to care about the other scandals. We lance this boil once and for all, Eames takes the blame – as she should – and the damage to the Camarilla itself will be minimised.”

“Do you know how to kill one of the Fallen, Anthony?” Turcov asks, suddenly. A slightly dreamy smile crosses his face.

Sommers hesitates.

“No,” he admits, after a moment.

“Neither do I,” says Turcov. “And, I confess, I am singularly troubled by a plan of action which may require us to find that out.”

He gets to his feet, turns, and begins to examine a gorgeous bird-of-paradise flower, his large rough hands running over it with surprising care.

“I can’t do this alone,” Sommers calls after him. “The barons won’t listen to me, and the Anarchs don’t have enough people on their side. If we can convince the council to turn on Eames, there needn’t even be any violence over this. All of us, Rodyon, can come out with our reputations intact.”

Turcov glances back.

“I could, of course,” he says, “take this information...what you've just told me...to my dear friend Samantha. Let her know that…certain elements of our society were attempting to discredit her with…scurrilous rumours concerning events in the spring.”

Sommers waits, patiently, meeting his gaze.

“Let us say, then,” Turcov continues, with a savage little smile, “that we remove poor Samantha – as a matter of practicality. Who takes London?”

“That would depend,” Sommers says, “on the fate of Roger Kirkbeck.”

“Ah,” Turcov whispers, wistfully, “Roger. Yes.”

He glances down at his thick golden watch.

“Give me a couple of nights, Anthony,” he says, “to sound out my friends in the council. Your name – of course – won’t be mentioned. On your part, I suggest you speak to those allies you do possess…and ready them for blood.”

Turcov steps forward, proffering his hand; Sommers pauses, then rises from his seat, and takes it in his.

“I have…reconsidered,” Eames says. Her voice echoes, hollow and weak, in the darkness of the cavern. “I’ve been thinking about this for some time and…I do not hesitate, I have never hesitated, to take the correct action in order to achieve my goals. And this seems to me the prudent choice. You have not convinced me – as ever, I create my own destiny – but I believe that your earlier advice to me was the correct advice.”

She hesitates, before asking,

“How will it be done?”

“That’s not for you to know,” Hob replies.

His voice is a trickle of sound. Eames could swear it’s coming from right behind her shoulder, and not from the figure coiled like a cat across the battered sofa.

“Do it, then,” Eames says. “Tomorrow night. Just…you go ahead and do it.”

“If possible,” she adds, with renewed desperation, trying to fill the silence, “I would prefer to avoid there being any pain. I have…always abhorred unnecessary pain. Is that…is that clear, Hob?”

Hob’s eyes gleam, first gold, then silver, reflecting off the ever-changing glow of his television screens.

You sit at your desk in the Vessel, mechanically scratching out some old papers about blood bonds in Leicestershire in the 1600s. Listening, through the headphones of your receiver. Listening to the silence.

As dawn approaches, you turn the receiver off; and when you wake, at dusk the next night, you turn it back on and listen again. Moving slowly around the room, brushing your teeth, getting dressed, you keep the earphones plugged firmly in.

The dress was at the very top of the pile. It’s the one she’d choose to pick first, without thinking. She ought to put it on tonight. And if she does, you’ll be there to hear what she says when she’s all by herself.

And then, glancing downwards, you notice the sheet of paper, scuffed, smudged and torn, that’s been shoved beneath your door.

You bend down, and lift it up. Your eyes widen, slowly, as you make it out.

The third page from your treatise. A message from whoever stole it.

And scrawled across the back, in a childish, awkward hand, beneath a scribbled Greenwich postcode,

I’VE FOUND ANOTHER WAY IN. COME AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

What should Joan do?

A) Visit the address. Confront the thief.
B) Stay with the receiver; the bug is the important thing.

Sommers has some time to attempt to gather his resources, before Turcov responds with news of the barons. What should he do?

A) Seek out the harpies for news of Erika Schiller.
B) Gather together the Kindred of his barony.
C) Head to Cliveden, in order to take the Prince into safe custody.
D) Pay a visit to the Gangrel.
E) Pay a visit to the head of the Giovanni.
F) Try and track down the mysterious Setite.
G) Visit the Sisters of Cacophony, beneath St. Paul’s.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
A) is dangerous, but we have to find out who got our shit. We didn't catch anything on the receiver so far, no point in sitting around waiting for it while somebody with our manuscript wants to contact us.

As for Sommers, flipped to D) after Esquilax post.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
B and B

Also, I am compelled to say that mentioning the global Camarilla organisation was ingenious. That should convince Turcov to follow our plan. Too bad Eames is about to do something completely untoward on the morrow.

laclongquan

Arcane
For Joan:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

There's signs to show this is from another Sabbat spy. And, well, I confess that in Joan's case we dont have enough info to decide which is correct action. And curiousity make me want to investigate this matter more thoroughly. A it is.

For Sommers: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's about time for Erika, true. And logic say she's the correct choice.

Erika is the old Sheriff, and Sommers need someone to counter the current Sheriff, as well as Eames. And she knows things, and people, that will be very useful in this coming civil war. I am not convinced that we can get out of this period without some actions so recruit her make more sense.

My guess, my gut say Erika may be around the Nosferatu's new hideout or at least they will know about her. They just got attacked so they would need some more serious muscle, and Erika just have no place to go. Unless Erika planned to get out of London entirely, it made too much sense for the Nos to reach out to her or vice versa.

So in that case, finding her may lead us to Nosferatus. Frankly, out of all factions in London right now, after Erika, Nos is more likely to remain receptive to us than most.

ironyuri

I really enjoyed that update, grotsnik.

“Do you know how to kill one of the Fallen, Anthony?” Turcov asks, suddenly. A slightly dreamy smile crosses his face.

Sommers hesitates.

“No,” he admits, after a moment.

“Neither do I,” says Turcov. “And, I confess, I am singularly troubled by a plan of action which may require us to find that out.”

These lines in particular were very well thought out. I like the mixed anxiety and intrigue.

Anyway, as for the voting:

I know this is metagaming, but Earnes won't be doing whatever it is she's doing with Hob til tomorrow night, so tonight we may as well pursue our treatise:

A.

We can always eavesdrop on Earnes tomorrow evening.

For Sommers, I'm not sure. Erika supposedly went north, if she's well out of reach, we may not be able to get her back in within the next few nights and her presence may cause tensions with Turcov's new sheriff.

I think we'd be better served by taking Kirkbeck into custody, C.

Kirkbeck is the reason the Anarchs were able to get this information and they'll want to use him in the war. Perhaps Anthony can persuade him to change his tone and start working for the good of the Camarilla if he can show he's moving against Earnes?

But damnit, I'd like to see Schiller back too.... anyway. I'm going for Kirkbeck because it seems like a more politic move at the moment. He helped them produce the pamphlet, he probably still commands some sympathy in Camarilla circles in the capital, and he knows more about Hob than most.

We must remember, Rannigan first brought news of Hob to Kirkbeck, who tried to shield the city from him. Kirkbeck may have researched the nature of the creature, he seemed dreadfully afraid of it anyway, so he may know more about it than we do.

Unless Schiller has enrolled in Infernalism and Demon-Killing 101 at the University of Leeds, I'm not sure even a powerful gangrel will be any use against a demon.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing of use against a demon is true faith that, oppss, also works on vampires.

You can kill the host body (according to demon the fallen), but it only gets a new one. To get them to go away permanently, get a bigger demon to eat the other or get a hunter ritual to banish them.

I'd personally say, "fuck this shit", and hunker down and wait for everyone to finish killing each other. Tip off the inquisition.

laclongquan

Arcane
ironyuri, Kirkberg is Eames' key to power, she will protect/imprison him with god damn heavy security. Currently Sommers dont have his righthand man with him so violent options are limited. Beside, he might encounter the new Sheriff, whatzizname, Turcov's childe coming to get the old prince.

Esquilax

Arcane
Erika isn't with the Nosferatu. The only lead we have on her whereabouts are the letter that she sent us:

I packed in nine minutes. Let’s see if I can’t get out of the city in under thirty. Done with London – for now, at least. May even just avoid cities at all for a while.

Considering she's a Gangrel, this probably means that she left to some secluded area where she'd be difficult to track. A forest area, likely.

I think that this is a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone : I suggest we parley with the Gangrel, as her fellow clanmates are more likely to know about where Erika ran off to. Erika has decided to avoid cities, and the Kindred who usually live outside of cities are Gangrel, so it stands to reason that they would be the most likely to know where she went.

Also, it is much more secure than asking a fucking Harpy. We can't show our hand to Eames and the Camarilla like this, we have to be a little bit more slick than that. If we ask a Harpy, everyone in town will know that we asked for Erika; this sort of thing isn't going to stay quiet for long. However, asking the Gangrel for leads on Erika's whereabouts is both more secure and probably a better lead anyways.

I'm not expecting a warm reception from the Gangrel if we parley with them - it'll probably be somewhat similar to our little trip to Jack's Warren. Gangrel tend not to like Ventrue (look at how long it took to get Erika to trust us), but even if we get a cold reception, we'll still probably have a very good lead on where Erika might be, and we will have at least established contact with them. I'm not expecting them to roll out a red carpet for us, but we can at least work on developing trust between Anthony and the Gangrel at the Heath over time.

So yeah, for SOMMERS D: Visit the Gangrel

As for Joan, I say fuck leaving. I know it's exciting and mysterious, but we can't let this shit distract us. I'm not expecting a trap or anything (if anything it's an ally), but they aren't offering anything interesting. This mysterious individual says they've found another way in: well, so fucking what? What does that get us? I'm curious about the contact too, but we can't let this shit distract us when the update clearly hinted that Eames is planning something huge tonight. Maybe Joan can get in touch with the Sabbat and avert a disaster. Whatever the case, the stakes are too high to leave our post right now.

We need to fucking stay focused right now and do our job as a spy instead of running off chasing after our secret admirer. Eames is about to put together something big, and we need to stay here and listen to what's going on so that we can get more info regarding Hob's plans.

For JOAN, B: Stay with the receiver

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom