Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still want the vaulderie, maybe we can experiment with them.

Mix vitae of us and Fellowes and feed them that?

It would be nice for Fellowes to have bloodbond over them anyway, since he is going to be their combat commander during the night (probably).

Anyway, i wonder how a pack of Revenants or Damphirs would work... they produce vampiric blood so it should be possible according to the setting.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
SCO said:
I still want the vaulderie, maybe we can experiment with them.

Mix vitae of us and Fellowes and feed them that?

Only if we feed it to them from the VASE and mix in the urine found at Osazema's place.

SCO said:
It would be nice for Fellowes to have bloodbond over them anyway, since he is going to be their combat commander during the night (probably).

No, it would give Fellowes leverage over us. They are to be loyal to ANTHONY and ANTHONY alone.

SCO said:
Anyway, i wonder how a pack of Revenants or Damphirs would work... they produce vampiric blood so it should be possible according to the setting.

Revenants are pretty standard ghouls with the exception that they generate their own Vitae and have to be fed only to ensure loyalty to a specific Cainite as opposed to ALL Tzimisce. What were Dhampirs in WoD's context again?

Esquilax said:
Storyfag said:
I'd still Dominate the unwilling ones to drink the Vitae anyway.

I'd rather retain some bare thread of Humanity so that we're not completely shitty people. Let's give them a real choice to leave if they decide they want to come back to their normal lives. We're still assholes for misleading them, but at least they had the chance to leave from the get-go instead of going BioWare on them and making them drink our vitae anyways if they refuse.

My main argument against this is if we make them drink the Vitae, we're really no better than BioWare by offering people fake choices. Do you really want Tony to end up like BioWare, Storyfag? Because I sure don't. Today Tony's giving people choices that don't amount to anything, tomorrow he's having gay sex with his Toreador underling, Eddie. It's a slippery slope, my friend.

Well, this IS souless to the extreme... Not that I have anything against being a souless evil monster, but Anthony's in the Camarilla, so maybe retaining shreds of humanity is a good idea after all. Have it your way.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's no way to be "humane" when you're dealing with ghouls. It's complete enslavement, the only human option is not doing it at all.

I just want to do this in the safest way possible, we are creating ghouls trained in the special forces and handing them vampire hunting equipment, don't want any spark of rebellion in the back of their subconscious.

Esquilax

Arcane
Storyfag said:
Only if we feed it to them from the VASE and mix in the urine found at Osazema's place.

But will each ghoul take a shit in the vase too? You know, just to be safe? This is going to be the bestest vaulderie evar, bros.

@ Excidium: You're right. It's inherently a fucking horrible thing to do to someone. I dunno, it's at least slightly less shitty if they have an actual chance to leave before we use them as our expendable pawns for all eternity. If we feel that one of the guys will be a problem (like that Billy Budd guy mentioned in the update) do we really want them joining us? We want guys who don't give their superiors any shit and who can follow orders.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I'll swap my vote to A2 or 3 if things can work according to Esquilax's list.

It doesn't make any sense to me for us to tell them the (almost) complete truth about them fighting vampires with vampires, dark forces beneath their mortal world, and the Masquerade but then force them to be our slaves with some candied lies. If we are going to shoot for a semi-truthful, humane approach, then we should tell them that there are at least some consequences to drinking the vitae. Besides, they are soldiers, they would appreciate honesty from their commander more than lies.

Hell, we could even allow them to talk to Sommers' other ghoul in order to understand a little more what to expect. If they already know what will happen to them, there shouldn't be any harm in letting them know as much as they can. Sommers' ghoul appears to be relatively content with her life as a slave.

Also, forgive me if anything that I suggest is completely impossible or against the "rules." I really know almost nothing about VtM aside from the most base facts.

Esquilax

Arcane
The problem is though, if we were going for a humane approach, we wouldn't be organizing this team to begin with. Being a ghoul is inherently a shitty deal. Giving them a choice to leave before we make them ghouls shows at least some semblance of a conscience remaining, so that's why I'm going with it. However, it's hardly indicative of being "humane" by any stretch.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Esquilax said:
The problem is though, if we were going for a humane approach, we wouldn't be organizing this team to begin with. Being a ghoul is inherently a shitty deal. Giving them a choice to leave before we make them ghouls shows at least some semblance of a conscience remaining, so that's why I'm going with it. However, it's hardly indicative of being "humane" by any stretch.

I understand that we aren't quite going the "humane" route. I was just pointing out the apparent contradiction of wanting to tell them a little more about what they were going to face before forcing them, for all intents and purposes, to be our slaves. If we go this route then we might as well make them ghouls first and then be completely truthful with them.

I was simply trying to suggest a way to accomplish our overriding goal while keeping with our attempt to be a little truthful.

Esquilax

Arcane
You're right. It does seem pretty silly to go through all that effort to tell them about secret vampire societies and how to fight vampires before forcing them to be our slaves, now that I think about it. I dunno, it's kind of a mindfuck.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It is a mindfuck indeed, specially because what we are creating is no common ghoul. It's a team of super soldiers conditioned to hunt other vampires.

While the pull of the blood bond is strong, what mostly keeps ghouls serving is their need for a periodic fix, if it goes through their mind that they can hunt vampires themselves to get all the vitae they want instead of serving some faggot to receive just a pat in the back and a cup of his blood, things can get very interesting.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Assuming we do things Esquilax's way, I'm voting for A2. We're going the somewhat honest route here, let's keep doing it that way.

Never thought about the possibility of our super soldiers turning to other vampires for a fix, maybe all we're doing here is potentially creating a gang of super powered, armed-to-the-teeth V-hounds? ;)

laclongquan

Arcane
The problem is that those troopers are in for some very hard-kept secrets. Blabbermouths cant be afforded at all. Ghoulification is just about the only method other vamps trust to keep that secret.

As for hunting other vamps for vitae, that's why Sommers will keep tight leash on them and unleash only at the Sabbats. Camarilla vamps will also believe that this group of ghoul soldiers will die hunting Sabbat to the last, so that problem also solve itself.

A is risky in term of losing some men: they just plain dont want to join this taskgroup and dont want to be ghoul to keep secret. The only way out for them in order to keep Masquerade is death. But oh well, win some lose some.

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 7 - Amen Court

Another alleyway in south London. Closed doors, and shadows cast up against the walls, and toppled waste-bins, and pictures of models with grand breasts and spread thighs. As anonymous and as pointless as a thousand others, if not for the stench, which is particularly sour, and for the atmosphere, which is particularly wretched.

The crude iron sliding-door slams back on its rockers.

“Bless my sweet fucking mother, Gamley – but this is why you’ll never find me fucking politicking. Daniel Palmer, they pronounce, you have served us well, with cunning and with strength, in protecting the line down in the East while Angelos was getting his fucking head blown off in the fucking West, and therefore you shall be given the bishopric of Shoreditch and Hoxton, in order to better advise our new Archbishop on his duties. Cuntfuck!”

The Brujah is tall, and muscular, squeezed into an old-fashioned morning suit. His heavily-lined, bearded face is set in irritation.

The little Nosferatu, scuttling along beside him, says, uncertainly,

“It was a promotion you thoroughly deserved, Dan.”

Palmer turns, sharply.

“Shoreditch and Hoxton,” he snarls. “We don’t even fucking own, Gamley, the bishopric of Shoreditch and Hoxton. It’s in Camarilla fucking hands just like every other bit of this shitstain city worth laying a finger on. This isn’t a fucking promotion, you little prick, it’s a stake placed tenderly up my arse, ready for hammering. They want me spying on Connaught, so Connaught’s going to hate my fucking guts once he realises that’s what I’m there for, and if Connaught fucks this up, I’m going to be held responsible for not telling them fucking sooner. Caught up with my train of fucking thought, have you?”

He casually swings his arm towards Gamley’s head, as if intending to strike him, and then begins to stalk away down the long, tatty corridor.

Gamley hesitates, makes a grotesque, mocking face at the Brujah’s back, and then scuttles after him.

At the end of the corridor stands a curious-looking door; ebony, and ancient, it appears to be made out of a multitude of polished, interlocking pieces. Twisting and misshapen, it has been intricately carven to resemble faces.

As the two visitors approach it, a figure steps out of the darkness to greet them. A gaunt, elderly-looking man, dressed all in black. At his side hangs a long-bladed axe.

Palmer grins at him.

“Jack!” he says. “Just the fucking person we were looking for. I was just telling my associate, Mr Gamley, that if our night was not enlivened by the appearance of a fucking mute glorified fucking woodcutter, we might just have to jump in the river, in protest in the lack of Jonathan fucking Ketch in our existence. I’m sure you’ve got a strain in your hand, what with letting in all of these cunts from Birmingham and Manchester and Cardiff and every other inferior fucking termite’s fucking nest eke out their lives, but could you please open the fucking door?”

Jonathan Ketch gazes back, coldly.

Then his sickly hand strokes at the weird door, making complicated movements across the twisted surface. A curious clicking sound emanates from somewhere beyond.

And the door swings open.
Ketch continues to stand there, unmoving, until Palmer snaps,

“Don’t you have a whetstone to be getting back to, Jack? I swear to Caine, sooner or later you’re going to get that fucking axe sharp.”

The gatekeeper gives him a withering stare, then turns and hobbles back into the shadows.

“Now,” Palmer says, out of the corner of his mouth, stepping across the threshold, “I want you to keep an eye on him during our talk. Give me the gist of how you think he reacts to the Ritz business. And don’t, obviously, say a fucking word.”

“I’ll be silent, Dan,” Gamley mumbles, hurrying after him.

The stench inside the enormous chamber is virulent; strands of yellow Tyburn bone, joined by muscle tissue, creep up the dull brick walls, making exquisite patterns where they join, and meet, and move. The floor depicts, across its length, partly re-constructed, an fabulous mosaic; scarlet-eyed, crudely- creatures standing in glory through various points in the history of the city.

Palmer, superstitiously, does not step on any of the legendary Cainites. Gamley, unthinking, scampers across them all.

As they approach the dais and the throne at the far end of the hall, Palmer turns, and whispers,

“What was the name of that fucking moron punk in your pack again? The one with the stupid haircut and the look of an imbecile in his fucking eyes? Oh, and remember not to stare.”

“Brekken,” Gamley hisses back. “But Dan-”

Palmer is already striding forward towards the dais.

“Archbishop,” he says, and makes a low, stately bow. “Night’s been kind to you, I hope.”

From the throne, something shifts, slumped across the fleshy material.

Archbishop Connaught, bony shoulders twisting beneath the cloth of his immaculate suit, sits upright.

His face is a cacophony; a long snout of marrow, pulled and turned outwards, almost resembling a beak. A grinning mouth, yanked upwards on one side and downwards on the other. And, almost concealed beneath mounds of contorted flesh and bone, two cold and weary eyes.

“Bishop Palmer,” he murmurs. “My Templars will be arriving from Birmingham tonight. I expect them to be given shelter, welcome, and vitae.”

Palmer affects, rather successfully, to look pleased.

“A pleasure and an honour, Archbishop,” he says. “I’ll send some of the boys out to catch a brace of kine to add to the meat-lockers. Was there anything else?”

“Yes,” Connaught answers. “There was. Have you discovered, Palmer, who was behind the debacle at the Ritz?”

“Well,” says Palmer, “there wasn’t anyone ‘behind it’, Archbishop, nothing like that. From the sounds of things, one of the lads – chap called Brekken – got the Hackney pack a bit riled up and they decided to make a move on the Kine, cause a bit of mischief. They’ve been ordered to sit on their hands for the past few weeks, you see, and they get agitated. They don’t plan ahead, Archbishop. I mean, I’m only a Brujah, but I’ve at least got the good sense at least to think things through. These motherfuckers are just stupid.”

Connaught says, anger rising in his voice,

“It was foolish, Palmer, and short-sighted. The Camarilla could have retaliated before we were ready to deal with them.”

“Nah, Archbishop,” Palmer says, “nah, they’d never have. See, in London, everyone holds off on the major attacks during the summer. That’s just the way it is.”

Connaught shrieks. His taloned fingers clench.

Don’t you dare tell me the way it is, Palmer! Not in my fucking city!”

The echoes reverbrate through the hall.

The Tzimisce takes a breath.

“Now,” he says, more calmly, “it’s the exactly this sort of thing, Palmer, that worries me. Unofficial rules. Periods of respite. We are at war with an implacable foe – and Gehenna, the signs have told me, will be upon us very soon indeed. I fear that Angelos, accustomed to the deadlock between us and the Camarilla in this city, his wits dulled, perhaps, by the comforts of stability, failed to take note of this.”

He sighs.

“Tell me,” he says, “where is the original Amen Court?”

“In Newgate, Archbishop,” Palmer responds promptly.

“And yet,” Connaught says, “we are not there. Our palaces lie abandoned, our monuments wrecked, our victories forgotten. We waste our strength on…fools’ moves and pointless gambits and mob attacks that earn us nothing of worth, while north of the river the Camarilla consolidates its power and shores up its defences against us. This must be remedied.”

Palmer asks, slipping his hands into his pockets,

“Would you like Brekken killed, Archbishop?”

“Someone from the Tooting pack, too,” says Connaught. “Chosen at random. A few more recruits should be coming from Exeter over the next few nights to bulk out their numbers.”

“More newcomers,” Palmer replies. “Fantastic. If I may take my leave, Archbishop, to see to your instructions…”

Connaught waves a weary hand, and watches the tall Brujah stalk back away through the darkened court, the hunched Nosferatu scuttling behind him.

This city is already beginning to irk him. The Cardinal has made his expectations quite clear – a significant advance across to the north of the river before the end of the year – but what does he have to work with? Mindless, thick-headed packs, and bishops giving him dark stares and plotting against him.

I will see to all of this, he vows, silently. If it kills me, I’ll bring us back to greatness. Before Gehenna comes, there’ll be flames across St. Paul’s. The Prince’s palace destroyed, Nelson’s Column shattered in the river, and new bodies hanging at Tyburn before Amen Court.

You’re ready for this. You’ve always been ready for this. The pistol is clutched, tightly in your hand by your side, the safety pressed inwards.

Nervously, you tug your hood a little forwards, keeping your back turned to the security camera embedded into the ceiling of the foul-smelling corridor.

It’s just a matter of steps. Strike the door inward. Step inside. Find her as she rushes out. Two shots to the head. And run.

Move. You have to move. It’s time.

What are you fucking waiting for?

Your foot launches outwards into the door. It buckles forward, slamming against the wall, but you’re already striding forward into the apartment-

She’s sitting at the kitchen table, a newspaper unfurled in front of her. Her eyes rise to meet yours, but she doesn’t move.

“Wai-” she says.

You squeeze at the trigger. A crack so loud it fills the world. She jerks back; your shot’s gone wide. You fire again, and a jet of blood sprays outwards, almost smoke-like, from the back of her head.

She teeters back on her chair, once, twice, then falls back.

Children are wailing, somewhere nearby.

You approach, slowly, curiously. She’s lying back against the black-and-white tiled floor. A strangely symmetrical, crimson blot stains the left side of her forehead.

Lowering the muzzle of the pistol close to her face, you fire once again, turn and dash back across the floor and through the apartment threshold. Someone is fumbling at the handle of the door across the corridor.

“Stay the fuck in there!” you shout, and run.

As you clatter down the stairway, from behind you, someone begins to yell.

“Oi! Oi! Someone call the fucking police! Oi!”

"Now a piece of breaking news – Patricia Patel, a deputy commissioner working for the Metropolitan Police under Operation Trident, which targets gangs and drug abuse in the Afro-Caribbean community, has been found murdered in her London apartment. Paramedics rushed to the scene but found Ms Patel, thirty-four years of age, dead upon arrival. Two of the policewoman’s children were also found, unharmed. The Met has so far refused to release a statement.

"Could too little salt in your diet be harming your unborn child? A new study, released by the University of Kent, says that it can…"

You’re back in your room, inside the Vessel. Caine knows how you even got there. You walked home in a fucking daze, light-headed. Even the splash as you tossed the pistol into the Thames barely seemed real at all.

But there’s something else. You feel exhilarated.

You did it. You took a life. And it was so fucking easy.

You didn’t need to ask an elder’s permission, or fake a gas leak, or skulk in the darkness. You just walked in – and there was power at your fingertips.

Slowly, reliving the crack of the gun – the gorgeous plume of misty blood – you slump forward onto the bed. Your fingers begin to work their way around to the loose brick in the wall behind your bedpost. It shifts, and then comes loose.

But there’s nothing behind it.

You stop, and start. Scrabbling into the shadows, you work your hands through the nook, hoping, desperately hoping, that the papers have slipped into a gap or pressed themselves up against the brick.

There’s nothing fucking behind it.

Someone has taken your treatise.

What do you want to do?

A) Argyll must have found it. He’s been spying on me, after all. I should search his room.

B) It can’t have been someone loyal to the Regentia, otherwise I’d already be dead. Maybe I should check out Fowlesworth…
C) Father Nicholas. He’d have known I was heading out – he’s the only one without duties other than guarding the door. He’d have had the best opportunity to search my room.
D) I mustn’t betray my lack of calm. Whoever’s taken it will be watching to see how I’ll react to the treatise going missing. I won’t try and find out where it’s gone.
E) The chances are that whoever’s found that paper will take it to Eames. I need to get out of the Vessel, tonight – I can make for the Sabbat, south of the river.

Sweet, long updates.

Whats in the treatise? :oops:
old update said:
placing the papers down on top of the material you’ve been dutifully copying out for the Regent, a series of essays on the Vienna Chantry’s arcane defences against the planned siege of Suleiman the Magnificent.
Someone stole our homework?! This will not stand! I dont get it. How is it life threatening bad?

old update said:
and Eames. With her smug smile, and her ridiculous hair
:lol:

E is a bad idea unless you want to end up with chopped of limbs in a shallow grave...

Voting CCC, dude may have seen someone.

grotsnik

Arcane
Nah, it's what she was reading to herself at the very start of the update; I only gave you the first few paragraphs of it, but the implication was that it was an extensive intellectual denunciation of the Camarilla for being restrictive and corrupt. Whether or not it matters that someone else has stolen it is up to you guys, really.

A. Argyll is likely to be more sympathetic than the others - plus if it is Fowlesworth (which I'd reckon on it being), we could use Argyll to help get it back.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Great update grotsnik. The new Archbishop sounds like a swell guy and it's nice to see dissent in the ranks of a chaotic organisation like the Sabbat. The loss of our Tremere's innocence was also handled in a nice way, sure, she could use some practice with that firearm, but she delivered. Most likely, the police will connect this to the victim's line of work and go barking up the wrong tree.

As for the choice, I must say I'm undecided at the moment. Will think about it a bit more..

laclongquan

Arcane
Great update, as always, Grotsnik!

I smell a counter-espionage move here. Somebody get suspicious and search our room, find some discriminating papers hidden. They have course to suspect Joan being a Sabbat spy. But to them it could just mean she has a Sabbatical sympathy. They are definitely watching her to see how we act.

I think pretending nothing missing is the best action at this moment. It's a bit of a damning evidence but not enough to get us killed in a Camarilla court session. Running get us no where since we have nothing to trade or bargain anyway.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm glad we managed to kill the bitch without any trouble (and it seems Joan really enjoyed it) but I thought B) had won. :?

Still thinking about what to vote this time.

Bob

Novice
D

Didn't we put the treatise in our jacket pocket when we went to talk to Eames? Can't recall whether we replaced it or not. It may still be there.

If they're already watching running's out of the question - not that they are likely to be watching more now than they were. And I suspect it's a come back with the shit or not at all sort of situation anyway. If someone else has got it we've no real way of forcing them to hand it over.

Why the heck did we even have the thing in the first place? It's like if a Nazi spy decided to travel with Mien Kampf in her luggage. We get that thing back we need to burn it.

Heck I'm tempted to say it could have come from anyone - but auspex'd pick up our imprint on it.

Shitty situation whichever way you cut it. If someone had already gone to the boss lady we'd be being mind-raped/tortured right now.

No, I suspect - if it's not in our pocket - that we're about to be blackmailed.

-----

Nice murder post by the way.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, the girl is dumb as a post.

Deserves to die really.

Anyway, kill the person that tries to blackmail. Fuck humanity apparently.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, humanity is not an issue as killing another kindred trying to blackmail you is hardly soul shattering.

But killing a vampire is quite different from killing an unarmed mortal. Trying to retrieve the document without any leads is out of question, and asking if somebody has been in our room would raise suspicion.

In that case, D).

Esquilax

Arcane
SCO, she isn't dumb. Joan realizes that writing a treatise about how much she hates the Camarilla is a bad idea, but it's also pretty much the only thing keeping her sane in giving her hope for a better future in this place. If she knew better, she wouldn't be trying to defect in the first place - I find it pretty compelling, actually.

Anyways, this is really fucking bad.

I think we need to be pro-active and make a move before something horrible happens. The only silver lining here is that Eames probably doesn't know anything; then again, considering Tony's success at manipulating enemy spies, Eames could also be using the same tactic against us. Shit like this makes you REALLY paranoid.

As Excidium said, we have no leads, but at the same time, I don't want to stick around waiting to get blackmailed. I know it's very risky to leave ourselves open, but I believe that it's a risk we need to take to ensure that we don't get royally fucked in the near future. We had the opportunity to kill Argyll before, and I believe that he's the most likely culprit since we didn't deal with him earlier.He has been spending a serious amount of time spying on us and I think that siding with Fowlesworth may have turned him against us. It's very thin evidence, I know, but it's all I've got.

I'm pretty sure that Father Nicholas didn't come into our room - yes, he knew we were leaving, but he has displayed very little interest in the affairs of the apprentices thus far. He seems more content with leaving the Chantry to drink and fuck whores when Eames is away. Fowlesworth could have done it too, but he's never entered our rooms before, so why would he now? Argyll is the only one who had motive. I know it's not ideal, but we have to do something.

A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom