Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

grotsnik

Arcane
Excidium said:
But elderly people in retirement houses aren't afraid of death, in fact they're pretty conformed with it. :/

You obviously never met my grandfather when he went...

I dunno; personal bias, perhaps. Anyway, it's debatable.

ironyuri

Those who fear death seek to delay it. Those with honour seek death out in blood and fury on the field of battle. They drink deeply from the cup of death, the potent draught in the skull's of their fallen foes. They slake their thirst for a noble death in the bone marrow of their rivals.

When they find death, they greet it as an old friend - a travelling companion. Arm in arm they ford the Styx and pass into glorious oblivion.

To die in pools of your own piss and shit is to die an inglorious death. Comrades, let us join together and challenge death by amassing piles of corpses in his name.

BLOOD AND HONOUR!

Esquilax

Arcane
VICTORY AT SEA!!

I'm from the land of Volournia (i.e. Canada), so I'm unfamiliar with what these OAP homes are. Are they similar to say, a hospice? Sure, it's conceivable that some people living in such a place might view death as comforting if they're in a lot of pain, I just don't think it's as common as Excidium points it out to be. It's perfectly plausible that people living in a hospice might not exactly be thrilled about the whole dying thing.

On to matters at hand, I'm pretty sure now that Argyll has been spying for Eames the whole time. The guy constantly talks about how boring it is to look up this Docklands shit, yet it's obviously way more important than he lets on. I just don't buy his whole "slacker" act. More tellingly, the guy seems to show up uninvited around us all the fucking time - guy is like a vampire version of Kramer from Seinfeld. Just now when we talked to Eames, she asked us to watch Argyll because we were "responsible". I think she's saying that to let our guard down. She wants to make it seem like we're the one watching him, when in reality it's him watching us, since he'll be sticking close the entire time.

grotsnik

Arcane
Esquilax said:
I'm from the land of Volournia (i.e. Canada), so I'm unfamiliar with what these OAP homes are. Are they similar to say, a hospice?

Nursing home/rest home. You know, much like a hospice, only everybody involved keeps up the pretence that you're going to be coming out of it again at some vaguely defined point in the future.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Esquilax said:
However, if we're going to keep this team secret, we may as well use them to off someone in the Camarilla. Maybe the Sheriff, Gordon Wyther? It would certainly be very tough (maybe impossible), but we could blame the act on Hunters and it would be worth it just so we could have Turcov and Eames begging us to find Erika now that they've got no Sheriff.

I had the impression that B means we're keeping the control of the unit to ourselves, not its very existence...

Esquilax

Arcane
Storyfag said:
I had the impression that B means we're keeping the control of the unit to ourselves, not its very existence...

Woah, 4 days without any sort of Discuss! is surprising.

You're right, bad reading comprehension on my part. Ah well, fuck the other Barons - we did something for the good of the Camarilla as a whole when we killed Angelos with minimal losses on our side, yet it only earned their contempt. They might start viewing us as a bigger threat and take more drastic attempts to undermine us now that we've got some incredibly powerful ghouls on our side, but if we cede control, the Barons will think we're pussies and worse, might use our resources against us.

Anyways, I remember Lac was wondering why asking Eames for permission and leaving to get the cell phone was a bad idea. As I said earlier:

From what we know at the moment, the London Sabbat are in such disarray that they'd have trouble organizing a bake sale, let alone infiltrating a few war ghouls into Eames' escape tunnels.
And say we pick up the phone tomorrow night. Well, what then? We can tell Not-Quite-Dubrik that there's a secret tunnel beneath Greenwhich, but it's not like they can do anything to exploit that knowledge at the moment. I simply don't see why it's so urgent that we contact the Sabbat right now or how it advances our interests. How will talking to the Sabbat tomorrow advance Joan's agenda? If there was an immediate need to do so, I'd understand, but there clearly isn't.

We stuck our necks out when there was no need to - we simply could have waited the following night to talk to the Sabbat. It even said so in the update! All Dubrik told us was "OK thanks for the info, but I can't use it. Now work harder". It was short-sighted. I think this incident underscores the importance of blending in and realizing how our actions are going to affect us in the long-term (which, thus far, we haven't done) - we can't do dumb shit like chasing after a phone for the sake of chasing after a phone. There was no concern beyond the immediate with this decision and the choice was poorly thought-out. We haven't been concerned with how our decisions will affect us beyond the short-term, and that needs to change if we want to survive.

However, now that we've been seen by Argyll, I think that we've taken a step in the right direction in how we're dealing with him. Selective honesty will work much better in maintaining our cover than outright denials ever will.

Oh, and that Malk scares the shit out of me. Yet another awesome Malk character.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Esquilax said:
Ah well, fuck the other Barons - we did something for the good of the Camarilla as a whole when we killed Angelos with minimal losses on our side, yet it only earned their contempt. They might start viewing us as a bigger threat and take more drastic attempts to undermine us now that we've got some incredibly powerful ghouls on our side, but if we cede control, the Barons will think we're pussies and worse, might use our resources against us.

My thoughts exactly. While we can and will use the team for the good of the Camarilla, should be doing so on our terms. The more assets we have at our disposal, the more respect the other Barons have to offer us. And we won't be engaging our assets for free, no sir!

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 4 - All The Devils Are Here

This is a sacred place.

The walls of the great cavern seem somehow uncertain, curving up and around in intricate, chiselled patterns, shimmering with unfaded etchings that ripple and start. The long-abandoned tools and scaffolding of the Tremere excavations have faded, merging with the shadows and the faintly iridescent subterranean moss that hangs, motionless, in great strands from the ceiling far above.

Eames steps down out of the rusted iron elevator. Despite herself, she shivers.

In the very centre of the cavern, its boundaries marked out by seven standing stones, is a perfectly-formed circle. And at its heart, a dozen flickering, unreal faces gibber and gawp silently.

The twelve televisions stand, one on top of the other, in an uneven pile, plugged in to a struggling extension cord. All of them are showing different news channels; all of them are muted.

She steals, in absolute silence, towards the little figure seated upright on the faded, rose-patterned sofa with one leg crossed over the other.

Before she reaches the boundary of the circle, Hob says, in his benign, curiously disinterested monotone,

“Is Terence with you, Regentia?”

Eames halts. Her expression of shock and loathing transforms itself swiftly into one of sincere affection.

“No,” she says, and steps around in front of the sofa. “No, Terence is still out of the city, working on something for me. He sends his best, of course.”

Hob regards her for a moment. His pale, reflective eyes, hidden behind golden-rimmed, round spectacles, seem to wash over her. His countenance, olive-skinned and indefinably exotic, remains entirely blank.

“Terence is a good friend,” he says. “He treated me well.”

Eames continues,

“I think we’re nearly there on St George In The East. I’ve had to…make the buying arrangements through a third party, so as not to arouse suspicion.”

Hob nods carelessly, his gaze returning to the television screens.

“Once they’re all bought,” Eames presses, “we’ll have you introduced publicly as a Tremere from Leeds. I have friends up there who can vouch for you. It’ll be put about that you like your privacy, so you won’t be called upon to spend any time in public. You’ll get a house, and a barony, in time. And you’ll have your share in the city.”

“You’re very kind,” says Hob, in that same strange monotone. “But you’ve come to ask a favour of me.”

Eames turns her head.

A banner is flashing across the bottom of the BBC News 24 channel.

BREAKING NEWS: TWENTY-FOUR KILLED IN GAS LEAK AT THE RITZ.

“The Sabbat hit them earlier tonight,” she says. “Some of the Embraced victims are still running around south of the river. I need to make sure none of them make it to the morning to be caught on camera.”

Hob tilts his head.

“No,” he says, a slight sharpness entering his tone. “No, that isn’t it. There’s something else you want me to do for you, but you’re afraid to ask. You want to sit on the throne, but you’re afraid to make the final step. Which is more than a little ironic.”

For a second, Eames is unable to contain her fury. Her face contorts, her eyes narrowing – but it only lasts for a second.

“I think you should know,” she says, controlling herself, “that I don’t for even an instant believe that you are what you claim to be. Your talents are…undeniable, but I view you as nothing more than a skilful con artist.”

“You don’t believe that I am what I am, Regentia,” Hob responds, “because if I am, indeed, Fallen…then millennia of superstition and outdated nonsense and foolish belief are the one true echo of the greater universal reality – and you, Regentia, and the rest of your kind, are utterly damned.”

His dull eyes meet hers.

“This place is as it was in my dream,” he murmurs. “Like…a lunatic built a termite nest, and after he was dead and gone a thousand lunatics built their own nests across the ruins, each of them with their own brand of mania and their own vision. And at some point – who knows when? – the nest began to breathe, and live, and devour the silly little creatures that dwell within. Because what I have learnt from this city, Regentia, is that it is cruel; nobody is indispensable to it. Anyone, no matter how powerful or unique they consider themselves to be, may be tossed aside and broken and annihilated – and London will continue to breathe, unharmed and unconcerned. So if you believe that I am lying, Regentia, I would advise you to continue humouring me…because you may die and be forgotten as easily as the rest.”

His face seems to slip in the darkness; it stretches and grows, black and inhuman.

“When you speak to him,” he says, smiling, “do give my very best wishes to my friend Terence.”

You gaze out over the black water, and lie. It comes to you more easily than you could have imagined, slipping on your tongue, merging with the truth until the two become indistinguishable. You tell Argyll about the jade necklace your stepfather gave you, when you were young – a present not for talking, he said, a present for keeping this our little secret. And when he touched you that night, you remember clinging on to the jade necklace, sweaty in your palm, gazing at the green split with brown until reality faded away.

His expression alters, his dull, horse-like face twisting. He’s sympathetic, or pretending to be.

“You…threw it in the river?” he asks.

“I had to let go of it all sooner or later,” you murmur, turn, and go.

He catches up with you halfway along the road. Slowly, without speaking, he falls into line with your step.

You could have killed the fucker; you know that. Eames would probably never even have noticed he’d gone, let alone cared. And you’d have got him off your back, given you time alone…time to think.

You step back into St. Alphege’s, Argyll at your heels.

Fowlesworth looks up.

The old Kindred is sitting in one of the pews, clutching a large plastic bag to his chest.

“Where’ve you been?” he says, in a tremulous mumble that’s somehow both accusatory and pleading.

“Out,” Argyll snaps, not bothering to even feign respect for the older apprentice.

Fowlesworth gets to his feet and comes to stand in the aisle.

“Did the Baronness know you were out?” he asks, his lip quivering. “Because I’ve been working all night, um, because there was no-one else around to help. So if you were, um, going out, you should really have checked with her first. The youngest apprentices should be the first ones asked to perform the basic duties.”

“Of course she knew we were out,” Argyll snaps, stepping forward. “But she realised we had better things to do with our time. What were you doing tonight, Fowlesworth? Scrubbing her bathroom tiles? Feeding her fish?”

He’s swaggering; trying to impress you. Fowlesworth’s fingers close more tightly on the plastic bag. He whines,

“You’re not allowed to speak to me like that-”

Argyll snatches at the bag; it tears.

And colourful swathes of material go spilling out across the floor.

Argyll stares down at the pile of clothing. Slowly, he stirs the edge of a large, polka-dotted bra with his foot.

“She’s got you buying her clothes?” he asks, disbelievingly. “What, do you try on her pants as well? Fuck me, that’s pathetic.”

Fowlesworth says, quietly, his eyes lowered, “Fuck. Off.”

How do you want to react?

A) Egg the two of them on. A potentially violent enmity between the two of them could be useful in future.

B) Slip past them. It’s best not to get on anyone’s bad side – and an authority figure could hear the raised voices.

C) Defend Fowlesworth. You never know when his sympathies might come in useful.

But more importantly, you need to begin to plan how to get Dubrik’s evidence. What are your thoughts?

A) You need to get a copy of Eames’ key. Once you can get into her office, you can find the evidence you need.

B) You need to cause a distraction – something that might cause Eames to flee from her office and leave it open. (You could even consider rigging the door so that it doesn’t shut properly.)

C) You don’t need to get into her office; you need a way of recording her when she thinks nobody’s around. You need a bug that you can plant on her.

D) You need to gain Eames’ trust; if she believes that you’re loyal, she’ll be more likely to spill information or let you get a glimpse of what she’s up to.

E) The…thing beneath the Vessel can only have been moved there recently. It’s currently invisible – but traces could have been left when it was being moved. You need to track how it got into the chantry.

F) There’s another way in; you can make use of your knowledge. If you take a trip to the chantry at Lambeth, you could figure out how to enter the cavern from the other end of the escape tunnel.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Man, Fowlesworth is truly pathethic. I'd just go watch the sunrise if I were him.

i'll go with C). Fowlesworth knows a lot about the chantry and Eames, and better yet he hates her! Also nobody ever stands for him so he's a pretty easy ally, just defending him here will earn us many points. Who knows, he may even turn out to be a potential antitribu...the Sabbat can't be worse than doing the Regentia's shopping.

For the other option I'll go with D). It's the safest and most rewarding path.

Esquilax

Arcane
Wait, you guys voted to risk exposing ourselves over a phone call we had no reason to make, now you want to slip past these guys when there's so much to be gained? I am disappoint, bros. Both choices are connected; Option 1 can help us with Option 2. Now is the time to take a risk.

I urged restraint in the crazy scheming department for the past several updates, but now is the time we really need to let our imaginations run wild. SCO, get your crazy ass over here, we need you bro. Here are a few scenarios I've cooked up:

A + C: Pit Argyll and Fowlesworth against each other. Then, one day when Eames is in the Chantry, instigate a fight between them by telling Argyll that Fowlesworth is plotting against him. Make sure to tell him something that will really set the Beast off and make him ready to smash Fowlesworth's head beneath his fists. Make no mistake, we have to make these guys so mad that they're ready to kill each other so that Eames is forced to deal with it personally. In the midst of the fray, we place a bug on Eames' clothes while she's too distracted to notice.

A + B: Similar to AC, but we have to make the fight a serious one. Someone's gotta die, preferably Argyll because I'm not sure if he's fully sold on our lie. Maybe we plant a knife in Fowlesworth's chambers while nobody's looking. Then, when one of these poor fucks dies, we sneak into Eames' office while she's occupied. We'd still have to rig the door somehow, though.

A + D: If we pit Argyll and Fowlesworth against each other and make them look like they can't control themselves, it will make us look all the better in comparison. The white-knight strategy works well here; we make both of our fellow apprentices enemies, then we smooth tensions over the next time Eames is around. Basically, we solve a problem of our own making in order to look like a competent leader. Eames will then trust us to look after the Chantry while she's away, seeing as her other apprentices can't be trusted with such responsibility.

C + F: Fowlesworth is desperate for any shred of respect; if we let him feel powerful now, he'll be eating out of the palm of our hand. He desperately wants to feel important, so it might be smart to simply give in. He can give us insight on the history and layout of the Chantry and, since he hates Eames, he could tell us whether the coast is clear at the Greenwich Chantry while we're sneaking in from the tunnel at the other end. There is no way Fowlesworth can enjoy an eternity of buying polka-dot bras for Eames.

I like the idea of C and D individually, but I'm not sure how we'd put it together into a cohesive plan. How will befriending Fowlesworth lead us closer to Eames? They seem like two unrelated goals. Thoughts?

Oh, and B for Option 1 sucks. It does nothing for us in the long-term, and if an authority figure comes, so what? We were out, we asked for permission, and this guy is giving us grief for no reason - just an argument between apprentices, nobody gives a fuck about that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Crazy stuff eh?

So i will randomly consult the war of war.

60. Success in warfare is gained by carefully accommodating ourselves to the enemy's purpose.

Durrr. Ok our enemy is Eanes (i guess).
Eanes is having some trouble with ambition and a demon. A crisis of faith and trying to distance herself from the tool which she is using all at the same time.

The sabbat is leading her on, and she wants to use the demon without having Terence help. In this situation what would a powerful Tremere do...

I'd get a sock-puppet. I'd make sure that the demon "hierarchy of needs" was satisfied (except freedom of course).
I'd research how to protect myself (ohoh oho true faith lol), maybe banishment eventually.
I'd find Terence.

Her sock puppet is Fowlesworth. He is obviously dominated or will be soon. Get close to him, and bloodbond him if she hasn't already. If she has... maybe kill him and replace yourself for him in her mind (though it is risky since you'll deal directly with the demon, a bad position, and she will try to control you directly - something beyond bloodbond i'd wager).
Or try to find Terence (grotsnik has been leading that on).

Get near her too.

C) & D)

Edit: it is also possible (likely considering the pyramid) that she will use a goat for the goat, that is, us dominating/controlling Fowlesworth.

This is still very risky for us, but not so risky for her. But if the demon gets out... i don't think it would give up on her (she shouldn't even have talked to it silly girl). But hey, this way she will have to teach us.

Kz3r0

Arcane
C+F, and not be mistaken, Hob doesn't give a damn about Terence.

Edit:
Also, for the discuss crowd, to befriend Fowlesworth is the best way to gather informations about Eames, and to get in her pants too, without all that boot licking thingie that every apprentice does.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well anyway, i may have reached in my conclusions (Eanes doesn't look so cautious now, tssktsk, speaking to a demon and letting it see it got to you).

And i think it does give a damn. As a tool. He was near it for very long - probably long enough - he wanted to be moved to london remember?

It would be helpful to research it if its true name is known.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
C + D

Fowlesworth is pathetic, stroking his ego shouldn't be that hard and he knows Eames fairly well and could give us some insights into how she thinks and how we can get closer to her to gain her trust. The Regentia is growing ever more careless in her ambitions, good stuff.

Esquilax

Arcane
Her sock puppet is Fowlesworth. He is obviously dominated or will be soon. Get close to him, and bloodbond him if she hasn't already. If she has... maybe kill him and replace yourself for him in her mind (though it is risky since you'll deal directly with the demon, a bad position, and she will try to control you directly - something beyond bloodbond i'd wager).

???

I hope defending Fowlesworth doesn't result in pissing Argyll off. Anyways, I'm not sure if being on his good side will give us any insights into getting closer to Eames; if Fowlesworth knew how to impress Eames, he wouldn't be out buying bras for her. So again, I have to ask - how does sticking up for Fowlesworth result in getting closer to Eames?

And besides, what's wrong with egging these guys on (A)? Causing conflict to suit our own ends is great. Right now, Eames doesn't really notice us - if two of her apprentices are at each other's throats, Joan looks all the more impressive in comparison. We made a bad impression on Eames last update on account of that Malk she keeps with her, so if we set Argyll and Fowlesworth on a potentially violent feud, then Eames might inclined to forget about Daniel Leus' ranting. I think we've got a lot to gain if we cause our fellow apprentices to fight.

Then again, befriending Fowlesworth seems to make a lot of sense too. I'd love to vote for CD, I just don't know how they tie into one another.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That's what i would do if i was Eanes - use the guy as a waldo when dealing with the demon - but as i said, she seems not to care. Oh well, she will.

laclongquan

Arcane
Egging them on is not good because Eames specifically charge us with Argyll, so when he cause trouble it reflect badly on us and attract unnecessary attentions. So is slipping away.

Intervene directly is about the only choice. CCCCCCCCCCCCC.

As to the second choice, let's consider carefully

A and C is direct actions. A regentia like Eames will know enough to defend against intrusions or electronic bugs. Dont forget that she have some rats on her payroll, and possibly Oscar. A and C is simply riskiest out-of-character options for a tremere spy like Joan.

B is uncertain. Causing distraction is risky but more risky is to rely on her carelessness. B is just plain sloppy spywork.

D is no use. As Sommers find out to his detriment, gaining her trust just mean she can manipulate you easier to her own purpose. Trust not on a Tremere's trust.

E is nice and doable. Plain spy stuffs. We would have chosen it if there's no better option appear.

And that mean F: look for the other entrance on the Chantry side. Just for how long have we waited for a chance to poke around chantry at Lambeth? Now that it appear we will grab this chance with both hands

Esquilax

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Egging them on is not good because Eames specifically charge us with Argyll, so when he cause trouble it reflect badly on us and attract unnecessary attentions. So is slipping away.

Intervene directly is about the only choice. CCCCCCCCCCCCC.

Yeah, unless Argyll is spying on us for Eames. The fact that he seems to pop up wherever Joan is around is suspicious, to say the least.

laclongquan said:
As to the second choice, let's consider carefully

A and C is direct actions. A regentia like Eames will know enough to defend against intrusions or electronic bugs. Dont forget that she have some rats on her payroll, and possibly Oscar. A and C is simply riskiest out-of-character options for a tremere spy like Joan.

B is uncertain. Causing distraction is risky but more risky is to rely on her carelessness. B is just plain sloppy spywork.

Eames seems to be getting kinda sloppy herself. She's more and more isolated and she's really in over her head with this Hob thing. Besides, we're on the inside; no way Eames would let some filthy sewer rat spy on someone in her own Chantry - she wouldn't want to take the risk of them getting their hands on some juicy Clan secrets.

D is no use. As Sommers find out to his detriment, gaining her trust just mean she can manipulate you easier to her own purpose. Trust not on a Tremere's trust.

Yeah... except we are the same Clan as Eames now. Apples and oranges, man. The Tremere are the most secretive Clan in the Camarilla and a shrewd Regentia like Eames isn't going to place her trust in a Ventrue like Anthony of all people.

She might place her trust in Joan, however. Tremere only are willing to trust other Tremere because they know that the outside world pretty much hates them. Because Joan has a long-standing relationship with Eames AND Clan ties, Eames will be more trusting.

And that mean F: look for the other entrance on the Chantry side. Just for how long have we waited for a chance to poke around chantry at Lambeth? Now that it appear we will grab this chance with both hands

What I don't like about D is that it'll take a while and we haven't taken steps to earn Eames' trust thus far, which has been a poor move So switching gears and trying to gain her trust all of a sudden seems inconsistent; if we went for the Docklands info, stayed inside the Chantry, etc. I'd be 100% behind it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Might doesnt cut it. I really prefer not to trust Eames again, or move in that direction. Even if she's besetted on all sides and lose allies right and left.

I agree that Argyl's popping up around Joan is suspicious but that's all the reasons to not act out of character. Since we are nominally his superior we will act like that nominally. And that means prevent him making a fool of himself and everybody else.

Bob

Novice
Can just anyone join this party? If so....

B + D

Argyll is immediately useful in the sense that he's seen you throw something into the river and that he has access to the docklands files. However he is mean and that implies he's untrustworthy if you're ever in a position of weakness. He'll probably be on your side as long as you appear to be winning. He seems to like you, which could provide some motive for his following you around.

Fowlesworth fucked up his chance at politics. He's a liability. Good will's all very well but you've got to be able to back it up with ability. You trust him with something what's going to happen?

Egging them on is a little too blatant an action. They'll know it was you.

Sigh and walk on past.

----

There's no way Eames would have asked the Malkavian to read you in front of you if she didn't want you to know that she distrusted you. Present a threat with one hand and then act as the salvation with the other.

You don't bother threatening people who aren't worth anything to you, at least not in the run-up to a big op, you kill them on the suspicion - as a precaution.

She needs you, and for the moment that's all you need by way of trust. You're both optimising in more or less the same space. Tit for tat - she's done you a 'favour' I'd suggest you find some way to reciprocate.

D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom