Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, we do know where the Anarchs are, but here we have a great reason for speaking to them - we've been "kidnapped". So the Anarchs won't suspect any ulterior motives from us. They might not be willing to talk to us under different circumstances.

Now, for those proposing we fuck off and leave, what do you suggest we do instead with the rest of the night? The two best options I see are having a sit-down with the Sheriff and/or getting Edgar to pry some info out of our little spy. But I think we have a unique opportunity here, and I'd hate to miss it.

As for a straight-on fight, I think we can take these guys. Slap on some Fortitude and beat them with our pimp cane - they won't stand a chance. Dominating the Brujah would be a piece of cake, but we won't improve our kung-fu skills that way. Jumping out of the van is the pussy option, and it might work if Brujah/Toreadors didn't already have Celerity to catch up to us.

I am aghast at the idea of jumping out and possibly sullying our fine suit against the dirty pavement, that would hardly be befitting of our :obviously: status. These ruffians already laid their filthy hands on our finery, must it get even more damaged?

Celerity or not, you cannot guess what grotsnik will write if you pick any option. So picking D makes as much sense as C. Except maybe that C might seem to you like a "unique opportunity" but that is only gut feeling too.
So I am picking what a kewl uncle would pick. You shall not kill and you shall not go to the lions den without any pants on.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
You wouldn't get anything from diablerizing (what) these fucks. Watch the diablerie tho, if you do it once every vampire with Auspex can know (your aura will change colors). Diablerie is not exactly well looked in Camarilla society, so it's not something you should do not expecting any consequences. I'm not saying if we get an old fuck vulnerable we shouldn't try it for great success, but doing it on the fly is a bad idea

ironyuri

I'm with root, diablierize everyone in London. The blood must flow.

Edit: Actually, this might be a silly oWoD question, but... What happens if, for example, a Ventrue diablerizes a much lower generation Malkavian? Will the Ventrue become a Malkav or will he just go down several generations in his own line? What happens if you diablerize vampires of successively lower generations of different clans? Do you take powers from various clans and become a "new" clan yourself, able to sire vampires in a new bloodline?

If so, I like where we're going.

ironyuri

root said:
power is its own reward.

how can we schedule a meeting with the centurion? i have an inkling about how to talk with this man.

By diablerizing him, amirite?

:incline:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
ironyuri said:
Edit: Actually, this might be a silly oWoD question, but... What happens if, for example, a Ventrue diablerizes a much lower generation Malkavian? Will the Ventrue become a Malkav or will he just go down several generations in his own line? What happens if you diablerize vampires of successively lower generations of different clans? Do you take powers from various clans and become a "new" clan yourself, able to sire vampires in a new bloodline?

If so, I like where we're going.

The effects vary. There are instances when the diablerized person took over the diabolist's body (Saulot to Tremere, some Tzimisce Elders to their Childer, the Eldest to Lugoj). So never eat anything with more willpower than you. Regarding powers, a successful diabolist tends to manifest his victim's Disciplines for some time (as long as he has the victim's vitae in his veins, I think) and can perhaps learn them without a teacher (and spending less xp? can't remember if it's a houserule or vanilla system). He will certainly not pass those Disciplines to his Childer or change Clans. A Ventrue is a Ventrue is a Ventrue... unless his body is taken over by whomever he drinks => then the Ventrue is gone and it's possible the would-be victim retains its own Clan, despite its new body technically being Ventrue.

ironyuri said:
root said:
power is its own reward.

how can we schedule a meeting with the centurion? i have an inkling about how to talk with this man.

By diablerizing him, amirite?

:incline:

Root, you, of all people, should know how well "DEVOUR SOUL" tends to end :decline:

Storyfag said:
A Ventrue is a Ventrue is a Ventrue...
Unless he manages to develop into a new bloodline for whatever reason. (Not that there's much reason to go making new bloodlines, especially since most of them as it is are pointless.)

Anyway, voting for C.

grotsnik

Arcane
root said:

Hell and tarnation, sir, I just set you up with a chance to meet two factions that hate your guts and already you want to go chasing after uncontrollable killing-machine forces of nature? :x

I am wondering how to include the Centurion, actually. Depending on your actions, he may have some fairly serious relevance to the plot, but if not, I don't want to just make him pop up and massacre all your enemies for you when you've made decisions that should rightly have led to your death.

C's looking pretty unassailable. Bumping my own thread prior to the next update.

Storyfag said:
True, but diablerie (and that's what I was discussing with ironyouri) is not counted among those reasons. At least there's nothing in the VtM rulebooks that would suggest so.
Diablerie (or that of a sufficiently powerful vampire or group of vampires) is a better reason than whatever munchkin excuse spawned the City Gangrel, at least.

We need two more posts for the next page, if my counting doesn't fail me. This makes one.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why next page? It's not like there are images to clutter the bandwith.

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 5 - One Hell Of A Night

Now this is fun. Subtly, with body language and the occasional word, giving a barely noticeable grimace of fear whenever the name of Robert Griddle, ‘Big Bob’, is mentioned, you lead the young Anarchs to agree all of their own volition that, yes, the best thing to do would be to take you to Blackfriars. You even agree to have a bag placed over your head, then wait patiently while they try and find one. Eventually they agree that there isn’t actually anything suitable in the van.

So instead you bow your head and close your eyes, feeling the weight of the van shift as it turns, counting the streets, as they chatter on -

"...he'll make us barons for this, you'll see. Everyone knows he made Dissper honorary baron in the East End after the affair with that Lasombra."

"You're ignorant. Barons are a Camarilla invention. It's stuck-up cape bullshit. In the new society, there'll be no need for Barons."

"Is he a Baron?"

They all turn to stare at you.

"No," you say, politely. "No, I'm not."

The van doors open. Warily, as if they're afraid to touch you, the fledglings gesture to you to step out. Bespectacled Ellie is still holding her replica pistol out at arm's length.

You gaze around at the high, shambling apartment buildings. You always had a suspicion that the Anarchs had a base in Blackfriars - close to the dingy pubs and printing presses of Fleet Street - but it's good to have that fact confirmed. To the south, you can just make out the edge of the London Eye's great wheel, still turning, lit up in the darkness.

Ellie prods you in the back with the pistol.

"Welcome to the Temple, blueblood," she hisses.

Through a pass-code-activated door; up five uneven flights of stairs. At the top, a narrow, dilapidated threshold.

And you step into an attic space. Well-lit, fashionably decorated. A small kitchen space stands at the far end; the central floor is empty except for a long, roughly-hewn table, littered with dirty plates - at which sits a vampire. A female, grey-skinned, her white hair falling in clusters about her shoulders. Her long, untamed fingernails tap, nervously, constantly, at the surface of the table; and, you can't help but notice, her lips move to the rhythm of her hands. Whispering something.

Somewhat incongruously, she's wearing bright yellow pyjamas decorated with little dogs.

You lean forward, trying to catch what she's saying.

"...we'll never get to heaven, say the bells of St Clement's...they took away my child, say the bells of St Giles..."

The Brujah boy catches you by the shoulder, and gently pulls you backwards.

"Best to leave her alone," he says.

"Is she a Malk?" you ask. You can't seem to take your eyes of her quivering fingers.

He nods.

"We call her Victoria," he says, without emotion. "That's where we found her."

Slowly, as if hearing her name, Victoria raises her head. Her pupils are scarlet. She gazes at you, unblinking, her lips still moving as she continues to recite.

You shudder, very slightly, and turn away from her just in time to see Robert Griddle enter the room.

You know, of course, of the famous Anarch's condition. So you don't smile at the sight of the young boy, no older than twelve years old, bald-headed, dressed in a neat, open-necked suit, strolling into the room with the utter confidence of an older man. Which is just as well - because cold, adult eyes are gazing at you from behind that youthful face; and as he glances around, frowning, at the assembled Kindred, the light reflects off the flat, boiled, twisted mess of skin that comprises the entire left side of his visage.

"Evening, everyone," Griddle says, in his calm, melodious voice. His gaze comes to rest on you.

Ellie is the first to speak, stepping forward with a respectful nod of her head.

"Bob," she says, "we've captured a Cammie. One of their bigwigs, too. You recognise the Pat-"

"I know who he is," murmurs Griddle, waving a hand at her. He continues to stare at you. "Tell me, fledgling...why was he brought here? What, exactly, were you hoping to achieve?"

Ellie gapes.

"Well," she says, defensively. "He...I mean...even if we can't use him as a pawn, Bob - the Sabbat are after him. They've got a bounty on him. If we hand him over - well, you know. They could help us. The sky's the limit, Bob."

Griddle laughs. It's a light-hearted sort of laugh. A child's laugh. And for the first time, he glances across to her.

"So you thought it'd be a good idea to hand him over to the Sabbat, then?" he says. "Hm. Interesting thought there, lass."

You catch the flash of something metallic slipping out of his sleeve.

"The enemy of our enemy-" Ellie begins.

And Griddle's right hand moves fast, dragging her downwards by the wrist, even as the straight-bladed razor slashes upwards.

Ellie shrieks, and topples, clutching at her face. Blood flicks up, and out.

The Brujah boy takes a step forward, imposing himself between the girl and Griddle, who grins toothily up at him and snarls,

"For fuck's sake, Dennis - get out of my face before I tear yours off. Take your shithead friend downstairs to get bandaged up."

Dennis hesitates. And then nods, turning and lifting the sobbing Ellie bodily off the floor. The Toreador girl stoops, and gingerly picks up something fleshy off the floor in her handkerchief. All three of them retreat down the stairs.

Griddle calls after them, wiping his razor absent-mindedly on his trouser,

"It won't just be an ear next time, girl!"

He waits until the door slams, far below, and then turns and strolls calmly back across the floor towards the kitchen space.

"Sorry about that, blueblood," he mutters, pocketing the razor. "Fancy a drink? I've got a couple of kine downstairs I like to feed on. A squat. They're so wasted they don't even notice; it's like plucking fucking flowers."

"That would be kind," you tell him. He opens up the nearest cupboard - stretching, with a little difficulty - and begins to fastidiously pour out two glasses from a plastic decanter on the side.

"The problem is," he says, abruptly, sliding a glass over the counter towards you, "the problem is, my neonates watch the television. They remember what it was like to be living. And they remember how, when kine want change, they go out into the street, they step out into the squares and the plazas - and they make their feelings known. But our kind, see...we can't speak out. We can't shout in the street. So we lurk in bars and dingy churches and these dumb kids start to say, hey, at least the Sabbat are free. Maybe they can be reasoned with."

"A sentiment you don't share," you answer, sipping gingerly at your blood. It's actually not bad.

Griddle pats the tortured side of his face.

"I remember what they're capable of," he says. "Not that I don't hate you pricks either, but...ah, fuck it."

He downs his glass. And halts, as if struck by a thought.

"You could have ripped those three fools apart," he says. "Why didn't you?"

You shrug.

"I saw a chance to speak with you," you tell him, "and I took it. A clever Kindred always likes to get the chance to meet new people. Call it networking."

He laughs at that.

"You know," he says, waggling a stubby finger at you, "you know, you're right. Maybe this was good fortune. I've heard plenty about you, Patrician. They say you have the best kine contacts in London. They say you're the real man in Whitehall. And yet...well, and yet you're still not a Baron, are you? The title and the prestige still goes to the fat, incompetent arsehole who happened to get bitten by the cape from the right generation." He pauses, for a second, before adding, "I mean, you're a nasty bastard, sure. But you're good at what you do."

"In a world like ours," you tell him, "I think you'll find nasty bastards are very much in demand."

Griddle leans forward across the counter. His expression takes on a curious sort of intensity.

"But you'll never be baron under the Camarilla," he say. "Kirkbeck's a worthless old fool; he only stays because the barons find it useful to maintain the status quo. And all of the barons stay in place - even the idiots like your du Marchais - because even they have support from their friends, who, in turn, rely on their support when it's needed. And if you try to declare yourself independent, all of them - du Marchais, Ferk, Eames, Rannigan, Turcov - would unite to tear you down. Nothing changes, Patrician. And nothing ever will change, unless the whole apple-cart's upset at once."

"You're talking about war?" you say, managing successfully to make it sound like a question. You don't respond to the mention of Rannigan.

He puts his glass down, very carefully, on the side.

"I'm talking hypothetically," he replies, after a second. "That's how we Anarchs are. Always talking in ideals and dreams and fantasies. Little wonder nobody takes us seriously. All I'm saying, blueblood, is that if it ever came down to it - if it ever came down to making a choice, taking sides...well, I hope you'd do the right thing."

You hold his gaze.

"I'll get a car to take you home," he says, eventually. "Don't worry, you won't be exposed to those three shitheads again. I sired the boy - can you believe it? Waste of fucking space, if you ask me. Once again - very sorry."

He steps forward, and extends his little hand for you to shake. His grasp is firm.

"You know where to find me now," he tells you. "Oh...and should you see Kirkbeck again in the near future, you tell him from us - that thug of his who washed up dead by the Thames Barrier? We won't be blamed for that, and he'd better not fucking try. I don't know what he's up to - but we've done nothing wrong. And we won't be fucking blamed. You tell him that from us, Patrician. We won't be his scapegoat any longer."

As you turn to leave, you pass once again the long table where Victoria sits. Her hand snatches out, grabbing you by the wrist, and, leaning across towards you, her red eyes fixed on the floor, she hisses,

"Here comes a candle, to light you to bed;

Here comes a chopper, to chop off your head.

Chip chop. Chip chop. The last man's dead.

It's got into the churches. The water runs deep.

It's already here."

You text Oscar in the car, letting him know where you've been. His response comes just as you're unlocking your front door.

Footage of ur man in Vxhll. You may wnt 2 c ths 4 urslf.

Pocketing the phone, you push the door open. Almost instantly, you're greeted by the sight of Edgar Fellowes, lounging across the easy chair in your front room, his long hair tied back in an elegant ponytail. His favourite two long-barreled revolvers sit on the table, next to an old-fashioned tape recorder.

"Evening, Patrician," he says.

"Evening, Fellowes," you respond, tossing down your keys. "Do I want to ask how you let yourself in?"

He smirks.

"Upstairs bathroom window," he says. "Don't worry, don't worry, I didn't damage the frame - and it was bloody cold outside. It seemed prudent to wait for you in comfort."

You slump wearily down onto the sofa.

"Your girl Wilkinson," Fellowes tells you, "has turned out very nicely. Very nicely, indeed. That was wily of you, Patrician, promoting her. Because last night - twenty minutes after I told her she'd be working much closer to you from now on - she headed out towards the Abbey, ducking past Greycoats Hospital, cutting through the Victoria crowds in order to lose any tails - after which, outside the Muddy Duck tavern, I observed her using a public phone-box."

He chuckles to himself.

"Not too shabby," he adds. "I half-expected her to be dim enough to use her mobile. Anyway, it was a bloody quick call, but Oscar was on the case, so we got most of it. Have a listen."

He presses a manicured finger down on the 'Play' button.

Wilkinson's voice, you recognise immediately. A North Yorkshire twang, over-energetic, eager-to-please;

"...didn't suspect a thing. I've got there, Bishop. I'm practically in the inner circle now!"

The second voice, when it comes, is slow, a little shrill, each syllable drawn out as far as it will go, as if the speaker is taking a strange sort of pleasure in torturing the English language. The voice of Bishop Dubrik. The vampire who tried to kill you.

"Understood. We will contact you with further instructions soon."

The phoneline goes dead. And, after a moment, you hear Oscar's distinctive Irish growl,

"Number was 0151752633. Ya got that, Eddie? And you can tell old Blueblood he'd better buy me a feckin' enormous new server for getting him this."

Fellowes turns off the recording.

"Tell me," he says, proudly, "how does it feel to have the number of the Sabbat's spymaster in Liverpool, Patrician? Bloody good, I'll wager. Er...Patrician?"

You let yourself sink back into the folds of the sofa, closing your eyes.

"Sorry, Fellowes," you murmur, dream-like. "But it's been one hell of a night."

CONTACT LIST UPDATED!

Tomorrow night lies ahead. How will you take action? (Pick any two choices; the order you give them is the order you'll do them in. Obviously this means that if your first choice has any instant repercussions that disrupt your plans, you may not be able to put the second action into play.)

A) Visit the Sheriff.

B) Visit du Marchais.

C) Watch Oscar's footage of Rannigan's kidnapping, either by visiting him or, if you prefer, by making him send it to you.

D) Contact Bishop Dubrik.

E) Find out Dubrik's location, and order an attack on him.

F) Visit the secret in the sewers.

G) Pick up some weaponry.

H) Ask Fellowes to help you...brush up on your combative talents.

I) Visit the Home Secretary.

laclongquan

Arcane
Mwahahahahhahahahahahhhahahahahahha

Let's recount what we know and suspect:

1. Sabbat Bishop got one spy in our office. I suspect before long he may attack or try to trick me to get the vase back.

2. Kirkberg planned something. His man died on Thames Barrier recently, two other lost contact, and he sent us on a wild goose chase with wrong info implicated Anarchs.

3.Terrance was chased near Sabbat's dens. Very high chance this oldfang got captured by them. We have investigated electronic traces, street info, Anarchs. Still havent done the Prince's men and Home Secretary (our own spy net)

What is our current goal:

1. Find Terrence, dead or alive. All else is secondary.

What is the best method:

Contact Sabbat's leadership. We have one thing the Bishop want: our vase. Meaning we can trade if necessary. And if Terrance still live we will gain one ally.

However, we havent investigated Prince's men's witness account, havent met Sheriff or Marchais, and havent called Home Secretary yet. Half done, it is.

Which is why I suggest the following:

(if we can phone the Home Secretary before doing anything, H (p) will be the very first action)

1. Pay Oscar a visit. There might be a chance for interruption this way but this source worth it. He's done a few things for us (Dubrik's number, Terrance's video) so we need a face to face meeting with him in order to praise/pay/diplomatic option him. At the very least we might dig more info out of him ( anything related to Prince's men lost recently as well as Terrance's purpose).

2. Changed. Meet Sheriff. We know more now and something stink in the bowels of London. Why did they lie about Terrance kidnapped in OUR turf? Since we check HS and Oscar before going, it means that we exhausted investigation leads. Now we need to inverview so-called eyewitnesses.

Mind you, if we have a chance to phone Home Secretary before meeting Sheriff it would be super.

Esquilax

Arcane
Holy fuck guys, I'd just like to say - what a bro Oscar is, eh? We are an asshole to the poor guy over the phone and not only does he get us footage of Rannigan, he wiretaps our spy and gets us the Bishop's phone number. :salute:

If we want to do him a solid, we'll try to come up and look at the info in person. It would be wise to maintain such a great asset.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Amanda can still feed false information to the sabbat, as long as her information is thought to be reliable. I hold out for something more sneaky.

It is risky because there are many moving parts, but how about:

Lets "sacrifice" du Marchais for Terrance but do it cleanly. This involves leaking information about a meeting with du Marchais, traceback the sabbat whereabouts by phoning the homesecretary and making him bug/trace the phone at centrals, don't appear for the meeting (some excuse, such as the new information about Terrance whereabouts) and raid the sabbat place (it will be near empty).

If Amanda is handled with finesse, they might not even suspect her, since they, after all, (and hopefully) "got" one of their targets.

That is, if they give a damn about du Marchais, that i think they might, considering that he is BFF with the prince.

Even better, we could possibly make the Anarchs raid the place, considering the hatred their leader has for them.

cant decide... too many c&c... and it looks like big nice set up to get us killed from all sides...

CCC - gotta find out whats with kidnapping deal, visit nos
AAA - why did they lie?

Putting points in gun diplomacy is temping...
Fuck Dubrik, he thinks that he has a spy, attack not imminent, and if it is, we will know since the spy doesn't know that we know, her value is not lost
Fuck Mauchais, or whats his name. He is going down.

Whats with this choice? Nobody is gonna pick that. :M

grotsnik

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Holy fuck guys, I'd just like to say - what a bro Oscar is, eh? We are an asshole to the poor guy over the phone and not only does he get us footage of Rannigan, he wiretaps our spy and gets us the Bishop's phone number. :salute:

Yeah. Although Oscar and Fellowes do seem to get on well - so whether it's loyalty specifically to you or to Fellowes remains to be seen.

SCO said:
Grand cunning plan

I'd be happy to take that as a suggestion, it sounds pretty awesome. Though as it's quite complex, I'd probably end up flipping a coin to decide whether or not something goes horribly wrong.

Black Bart Charley said:
Quote:

Whats with this choice? Nobody is gonna pick that.

He's by far your most valuable asset in the kine world, he has access to their police, and you've just recently done him an enormous favour by dealing with his civil servant friend. It could conceivably be very useful to see if they've heard anything on their end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom