Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

Esquilax said:
Wait, weren't we going to see Eames?
The Wonders of open voting.

From update Uno. It does not exactly adhere to the source material and if I had the patience (and time) I would actually use rulers and proper perspective and even colors! :oops: But alas this has to do... glass table in case you are wondering :oops:

grotsnik

Arcane
Sorry, this has been clusterfuckish. I did get the Sheriff bit wrong, and I think I may have misinterpreted the intent of some of you as 'tell Fellowes to kill Karthik now, while he's vulnerable' rather than 'tell Fellowes to kill him later'. So with that in mind, if you're unhappy with the first half of this update, just tell me and I'll retcon it - it's not going to have any immediate implications. Hopefully this chapter will be enough to save me from the lynch mob. If not...well, at least I'll die with an erection.

BBC - that is one cool pic. Going on Chapter 1.

Chapter 12 - Dead End

"Well," you say, choosing your words with a great deal of care, "Thank you for the gift, Karthik. And thank you for coming all the way down here to...explain the mechanics of the thing to me. Unfortunately," and you give a little laugh, "we're heading to a Camarilla function immediately afterwards and I can hardly take these creatures with me. I assume I'll be able to pick them up tomorrow night?"

He takes your arm. Your feet shift against the edge of the pit.

"If you cannot manage," he tells you, "I could always drop a few of them off to your house tonight. Special Karthik courier delivery, keh-heh-heh-heh. I wouldn’t want to think you didn’t care for this present of mine. Was it the Brujah? Simply a demonstration, simply a joke; I’ll pay for him, of course."

You slip, very gently, out of his grasp.

"A kind thought," you reply, "but I think I'd rather wait until I have the time to deal with them personally. After all, if one of these creatures were to get loose and break the Masquerade...well, even if it wasn't traced back to me, I'd have the safety of all Kindred in this city to consider."

Karthik snatches hold of your arm, more roughly. You can feel his fingers tightening about your wrist.

And Jamieson coughs. The movement makes the barrel of his shotgun tilt upwards. Karthik's gaze flickers towards him for a moment.

Then he nods, and leans inwards.

"I have given you," he hisses, "a great and powerful weapon. The loaded gun is in your possession. And if one does not make use of a loaded gun, if one leaves it on the mantlepiece or tosses it down into a cupboard somewhere - they have a habit of going off all by themselves, keh-heh-heh. One must always take one’s chances."

He lets go of your arm, holding up his hands mockingly as if in surrender.

You acknowledge him, and turn, away from the pit edge and the horrid, writhing things that lurk below. Karthik is quite alone now.

"I understand," you say. Fellowes catches your eye. His hand snakes down, so fast and so subtle that it’s barely noticeable, towards his belt. “It’d be most imprudent to leave a loaded gun lying about. And one must always take one’s chances.”

You glance back towards Karthik. His posture has changed; his eyes flicker from you to Fellowes, and on to Jamieson and the Brujah. His shoulders are a little slumped, his fists clenched.

“Oh…heavens, really?” he says. He sounds a little tired. “I’m trying to give you a gift, blueblood. You have so many enemies, so few friends…and you want to make an enemy out of me?”

“Oh, don’t worry,” you reply, with the utmost calm. “You won’t be my enemy, Karthik. You won’t have time. Fellowes, if you would…”

Fellowes’ arm swings up; his pistol cracks. Karthik takes a step forward. And out of the darkness to your right, a body-worm leaps towards you, its ghastly bone-teeth extending from the underside of a rotten foot-

“Not real!” Jamieson yells, gleefully, and fires. The blast hits Karthik in the shoulder, tearing through cloth and flesh. He moans, and topples back. The worm vanishes.

You straighten up. Karthik is kneeling, his face bloodied and torn, on the edge of the pit. He raises his hands, slowly, to his face. Several of his teeth appear to be missing.

Teri maa ki chut!” he moans. “You thtupid fuck!”

“Karthik,” you tell him, “it was your duty to inform the Camarilla that this creature existed. Instead, you chose to hide it, and use it for who knows what purpose, endangering the Masquerade. At any time, considering the…nature of this creature, this might be a crime worthy of Final Death. In wartime, it’s treason. And, as loyal subjects of the Camarilla, none will object that we carry out the sentence.”

The Brujah steps forward, unsheathing his long silver katana. He hands it to Fellowes.

Karthik’s fat face is contorted, grotesquely, with pain and fear.

“Lithen,” he says. “Jutht lithen to me. I know where Rannigan ith. I can help you find him-”

“And?” you reply, unmoving. “Where is he?”

Karthik hesitates.

“Jutht…jutht let me get out of here,” he tries. “Let me get out of here and I can…make thome callth…”

“Not good enough,” you tell him. “I’m sorry, Karthik.”

He tries to sneer at you.

“My people have altered governmenth,” he snarls. “Where unbelieverth thaw only wildernetth, we created a paradith for the prophet and the theerth. Our trickth have thaped the world.”

“And now you’re powerless pissers punchin’ above your weight,” Jamieson says, calmly. “Guess that’s why there’s a ‘disillusion’ as well as an ‘illusion’, ain’t it? Every lie's got to fall sometime.”

Karthik ignores him. His bloodshot eyes rest upon you.

“Oh, I’ll be glad to thee the latht of you fucking Ventrue,” he says. “You think you’re thuch manipulatorth, thuch geniutheth, but you thtick to your fucking Camarilla come what may. It won’t thave you, Anthony. They’ll thlit your throat and thtake your heart the firtht time you theathe to be leth trouble than uthe. At dawn, every one of us thandth alone. Why can't you thee that? Why don't you underthtand that thith could have helped you?”

You nod to Fellowes. He steps forward.

Karthik howls,

“You thtupid fu-”

And then the body of the Ravnos goes tumbling down into the dark, over the edge of the pit. Below, the body-worms are going wild with excitement.

You stroll, casually, up to the pit edge and gaze down. One of the creatures has already clamped itself down onto Karthik’s outstretched, twitching arm. He’s still trying to say something. His mouth opens, and closes. Four more of the worms are shuffling unhurriedly towards him.

“Keh-heh-heh-heh,” you say, to nobody in particular.

The top floor of the Windmill, a maroon, self-consciously quaint gastro-pub on the edge of Mayfair, is empty; in the far corner table, sitting in front of the window, Samantha Eames watches a a gaunt, long-faced man tuck in to a venison pie with mashed potatoes.

She glances up to acknowledge you.

"Oh, Anthony, darling," she says, smiling and touching you on the arm. "You, ah, reek of sewage. Pull up a chair, won't you?"

You take one of the comfortable leather seats and draw it towards the table. The gaunt man gazes at you uneasily.

"Freddie," Eames tells him, "this is Anthony Sommers. Anthony, this is Frederick Boulton, our ghoul with the Red Cross. Tell him what you were telling me, Freddie."

Frederick hesitates. A forkful of pie and mash steams, held in mid-air.

"The Sabbat went for one of our vans off Great Portland Street tonight," he says. "Killed the drivers - both ghouls - and got the back doors open. They just...poured all of the blood out into the street. Like they wanted to make a gesture."

He smiles, a little sadly.

"And it turns out that the records said the delivery was supposed to be going to Afghanistan," he adds. "For, you know, the soldiers. So the papers've been calling all night, trying to work it into a story. 'Sick freaks destroy supplies intended for veterans' and so on."

"This war of Kirkbeck's has only just begun," Eames says, sitting back, "and already it's spilling over. He stirred all of us up with fear over poor, dear, Terence, and like fools we were caught up in it. We should never have let him, you know."

She sighs.

"Frederick, darling," she continues, gazing at you, "I can tell by Anthony's too, too-perfect patience that he has something he's dying to tell me. Do you mind finishing your dinner downstairs, with the others? I'll make it up to you, sweetheart, I promise."

She rises to peck him on the cheek as he leaves.

You wait until he's descended, then lean forward, and tell her,
"There's something below Battersea Power Station. A Tzimisce horror. We've trapped it inside to make sure it can't escape - and I don't think the Sabbat know about it. For now."

Eames tilts back her chair as you explain the nature of the Caecilian, and raises her eyes to the ceiling.

"Hell of a publicity opportunity," she says at last.

"Or a trap," you reply.

She nods.

"All right," she says. "You plan it, darling. Just keep me in the loop and I'll give you whatever we need. But whatever we do with this creature - we'll do it together, yah? You brought me the lead, we share the plaudits." She smiles, gently, to herself.

"Deal," you tell her.

Eames seems to be turning something over in her mind.

"Funny," she says, at last. "That's the second time someone's brought up Ogham with me in as many weeks. Makes you wonder how much of it there is beneath the city, doesn't it?"

You lean forward.

"Who was the first person?" you ask.

"Terence," Eames says. Her eyes meet yours. "But then, the funny little man always was getting into trouble he'd have been better off staying away from. Anthony, darling, why don't you come and stay with me for a while? The streets are getting dangerous and we sensible Kindred really ought to stick together."

A) Turn down her invitation.

B) Accept her invitation.

And what's your next move, for tomorrow night? (Phone call's there if you want it.)

A) Arrange, with Eames, to reveal the Caecilian in a publicity stunt.

B) Arrange a trap for the Sabbat (or someone else, if you'd prefer) using the Caecilian. You will have to suggest a plan to get the information to them - this could go through the lower-downs or the high-ups, you could pretend to defect or get someone else to do so, you could plant the information on someone...this plan will take more than one turn to carry out in total.

C) Investigate Ogham in London, visiting the Tremere.

D) Plan for an expedition north - to Castle Howard. This could involve buying up muscle, gaining supplies, investigating its history...

E) An expedition into Chinatown.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I say we should turn down her invitation. There was a grain of truth in Karthik's dying words. At dawn evey one of our kind stands alone.

So A for the first choice.

Then I'd like to call the Sheriff (grotsnik, bro, do we have her phone number or what? She did call us, it should be recorded in our mobile...) to warn her about the fucking invisible cathayan abomination.

Now, considering what dear Regentia Eams told us about good old Rannigan... I'd say we should keep quiet about the Prince's men kidnapping the Baron. Chances are *she* wanted them to get him. But I doubt she arranged the Cathayan abomination to chase him, so we can tell her about that at some further point.

Finally, I think we should arrange, with Eames, to reveal the Caecilian in a publicity stunt. Perhaps even claim the Sabbat wanted to use it in the war? Who cares that they presently have no idea that it even exists. It's not like someone will ask them :smug:

So A for the second choice.

laclongquan

Arcane
Non voting post for now.

But we better recap:

1. We have a current standing deal with Erika, our dear furry Sheriff about the Prince, Du Marchais, and this disapearance of Terrance. She's pissed about this subterfuge. And we discover something since our tete-a-tete: Terrance visit Castle Howard, a place with Ogham runes.

2. We now have a standing deal, must-honor type, with Regent Samantha Earmes, about the usage of this Tzimisce horror. take care that we got the better share of credit in this operation.

3. The starting quest, investigating the disappearance of Terrance, still open with two leads: Chinatown's blurred obfuscated image, and Terrance's expedition to Castle Howard.

4. We are in bad odor with Du Marchais. perhaps he's cool already after our flaterring last night but I bet he's not. Yet moving in with Sammy could be considered jumping ship. She will use our influence with Whitehall as her own tool, but our hope for a barony is lost for the foreseeable future. Stay with him and we still have a chance for a comeback and steal his territory from under his coffin. Sammy look like a very competent gal, which mean a very competent boss. Hard to do that with her or to her.

Current Threats:

1. Dubrik and his vendetta to Sommers. He got a mole, Wilkinson, into our office that we can use as a lead to a trap.

2. Du Marchais. His traps and attacks will be more in the term of politic natures than brute force, I think.

3. Londonium Sabbat. Their attacks are of random nature.

What to do what to do...

Why the publicity stunt to frame the sabbat, do we really want to fuel the war even more, because from what I've gathered it's not really in camarilla interests. I'm thinking the best thing to do right now is try to find out what that quest from china & CO are up to, and maybe use the beast against them, either to get them to fight sabbah, or to thin their ranks without painting a bullseye on yourself.
Also, about that vase or whatever the spymaster is after, why keep it in our home unless we have a use for it and want it within reach. Otherwise why not stash it somewhere no one would think to look, unless it's some kind of magic thingimajigy that vamps can sense.(grotsnik, could you enlighten us, do we know anything else about the item other than that the spymaster wants it, and if we don't, wouldn't it be prudent to find out what it is?)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Desmodus Rotundus said:
Why the publicity stunt to frame the sabbat, do we really want to fuel the war even more, because from what I've gathered it's not really in camarilla interests.

Because it helps our own prestige?

But on the other hand it wouldn't be good to be seen as a warmonger by Regentia Eames and her ilk... So let's destroy it in a publicity stunt, *without* pinning it on the Sabbat.

laclongquan

Arcane
publicity stunt is... empty gesture, I think. Kinda like that Sabbat raid the Prince just orchestrate. We need something obvious and real, something that ensure vamps know that is what happened.

A trap to ensure Sabbat loss is, hum, real enough. The problem is not that we mind loss in Camarilla. The problem is that loss, 9 vamps+ 2ghouls, happened without anything concrete achieved. If we make it so in that trap of ours a lot of Sabbat die or some important bigwig like Dubrik or Angelos get singed heavily enough, it will be good. It demonstrate that we are a good tactician, a force to be reckoned with in matter of war. That will reinforce our reputation as the one control Whitehall politically. A spymaster without fangs is not too scary. A real Prince Dracula , now that is different.

Dont mind that Sommers develop some bloodthirsty or warmongering reputation. He need to be feared somewhat or he will get walked over. that could be bad for health and un-life.

Visit Chinatown at this moment could be bad for our health, I think. This war seem to have Kueijin's bloody hands all over it.

For another, what's with Terrance, Castle Howard, and Sammy? If he's in coffin with the Kuejin, why mentioned that with Sammy? If he's not, then it could get very interesting... After he visited there, some blurred thing chased after him and Prince's men kidnapped him one step ahead of that. The place smelled of dark secret. Should we poking our nose in there?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
root said:
B (romance! besides, we've been kicked out of whitehall) and D (adventure!)

We do not and never have lived at Whitehall. Our haven is just north of Regent's Park and it is perfectly safe for us to return there. Safer, might I add, than staying with any other Vampire who is not Blood Bound to us. And haven't we had enough of adventure down in the sewers for some time now? We should consolidate what means of advancement in the Camarilla we have, not run from corner to corner!

First choice:

A looks like a nothing choice again, and I hate those. Besides, why not make some new connections?

I vote B. Lets see where this invitation gets us.

Second choice:

A is right out - the last thing we want now is to be seen warmongering. This is why I voted to simply destroy the thing right there and then - quietly and discretely, but we would still get some credit (there were plenty of witnesses).

I'd like to vote B, but I can't think of a foolproof plan at the moment. Rigging the place with explosives and waiting for the Tzimisce to show up sounds tempting, but it would require not only explosives, but also constant surveillance - setting all this up might be tricky, and there is no guarantee it will work - what if a pack of shovelheads gets send in first to test for traps?

D sounds like a great adventure, but I think there is more to learn here before we go there. And yes, we also need to know what is going on with the Kuei-jin, but heading blindly in the Chinatown sounds like a good way of getting ourselves killed.

So probably C. We need more info about what was Terence up to, and it looks like the Tremere have it. We can also ask about the Castle Howard, which will come in handy if we decide to go there later.

laclongquan

Arcane
You just never read carefully. Our humble abode in Primrose Hill is rarely habituated. We stayed mostly in our office in Whitehall. Read the description text again, da? One should always know where one's power lie. And our power shadowed over Whitehall's politicians.

Erebus

Arcane
I think we should politely (of course) decline Eames' invitation. Allying ourselves to her is one thing, but we need to preserve our independence. Putting all our eggs in the Tremere basket would be foolish.

Investigating Ogham would certainly be useful, but it can wait one more night. We need to use the abomination before the secret stops being one. A trap would require a lot of time and efforts that could be put to better use right now, in my opinion. I'd rather reveal the thing in a publicity stunt. The Prince has started a war against the Sabbat to make himself more popular, but we can play his game better than he does : destroying a Tzimisce abomination is more impressive than killing a handful of unprepared idiots. Even if we have to share the glory with Eames, it should more than restore the prestige we lost because of du Marchais' lies.

Our ongoing investigations are very important, but we can't afford to focus too much on them. We need to impress the members of the Camarilla with how resourceful we are. The Prince may yet realize that we're too useful to ignore. And if he doesn't, we must attract the interest of as many barons as possible.

So I'm voting A - A.

I also suggest two phone calls :

- To Jamieson, to ask whether he's enjoyed himself, to thank him for his help and to make sure he doesn't reveal the existence of the abomination before we do ;

- To the Sheriff, to inform her of our findings with regards to the shadowy thing and to warn her (without necessarily revealing the details) about the surprise we're preparing.

Great update, kinda disappointed with Karthik. A pistol round or two, a shotgun blast and he gives up, thats all he got? Do vampires die that easy? I also expected some painful consequences on going all collar-grabbing-shepard-extreme. But getting of safe and sound is great for once: :o

Anyway, choices:

Call the Furry Law, share some info relevant to her case.

The only good wizard is a dead wizard
A) Turn down her invitation.

I dont feel any sense to a publicity stunt. It might be good for a baron like the tremere hoe but not Tony The Slow Chicken.

Killing Dubrik by trap feels about right but does not move us to baron territory.
Killing Du Marchais is always a great idea but now the tremere backstabber knows... But I would vote for this if possible.

Looking into Ogham is hippie nerd shit. Seemingly the best option though imo.

Expeditions to anywhere are meh, they dont benefit us directly in any way either and going out just for the sake of it is lame.

I dunno what to vote, open for flipfloping and last minute deciding votes. ;P

Esquilax

Arcane
Guys, why do you want to reject Eames' invitation? I thought we were here to gain some favour with a Baron, so why leave now? So, on that note, B.

Our biggest obstacles right now are du Marchais and this idiotic fucking war that he's dragged the Camarilla into for his own selfish interests. Before we can really do anything productive, we need a position of stability from which to work. This war is a pointless distraction that unfortunately, we have to deal with before we get into investigating the Rannigan case further.

A is out, I'm afraid. laclongquan is completely right, destroying the Caecilian is an empty gesture. It's exactly what du Marchais did with his vanity raid - sure, it looks cool, but it doesn't do anything. We may as well have killed it during the last turn if we're going to pick that. It's a waste of time that doesn't do anything to deal with the obstacles in front of us. It looks like the Cathayans may have been involved, so if the Camarilla has to fight them, then we can't let this war with the Sabbat weaken us to the point that we don't have the manpower to deal with the Kuei-jin. The only other faction that I could see lending us aid if we get involved with the Cathayans are the Anarchs, on account of Bob Griddle warming up to us.

I vote B for the second choice, we need to weaken or cripple the Sabbat ASAP so that we can deal with more pressing matters at hand. Leaving them be and investigating further will bite us in the ass, just like not keeping tabs on du Marchais cost us. We need some stability.

However, Zero Credibility is right, this thing is tricky to set up, this is what I suggest:

Obviously, no matter what, we're using Wilkinson to get this info to Sabbat higher-ups, particularly Dubrik.

Couldn't we simply lie and tell her that there's something else that might be of interest to Dubrik? What if we tell Wilkinson that there's an inert vozhd in the sewer. Dubrik's men would be lured in by the promise of a dangerous weapon, but we wouldn't have to put together an immensely complicated plan. The Caecilian would catch them by surprise and hopefully devour everybody.

Mind you, we'd still have to kill the damn thing, and it's no guarantee that it would take out Dubrik, but it's less complicated and doesn't require the level of resources that bombing the place would.

Otherwise, if you guys don't think that won't work, then rig the place with bombs and get Oscar (ugh... maybe not) or Jamieson to put surveillance on the place.

Either way, I really think that we have to marginalize the Sabbat. Taking out a major Sabbat leader will do a lot to increase our status in the Camarilla.

tl; dr BB

ironyuri

Bros,

I feel we should remind ourselves:

Dubrik is the spymaster in LIVERPOOL. He is not leaving for London, I doubt. The enemy we can lure in would be Sculptor Angelos, the eponymous Sabbat Tzimisce in du Marchais' vanity panty raid.

We get the info to Dubrik through Wilkinson and lure the Tzimisce leader of the London Sabbat into a trap. Cut off the head and the rest will fall into line.

If we can bring a swift end to this war by killing the Tzimisce pack leader we may earn the faith of several barons and our lost prestige in the eyes of the Prince.

Also, we should not be accepting Earnes' invitation. We don't want to become blood bound to Earnes by any means. She's an ally, nothing more. We're meant to be building power, not submitting ourselves.

Use her - don't be used by her. She's the kind of voice we need to get the Barons and Prince to pay attention when we show our hand with the trap we're setting, but after that, we need to make it clear that we are doing the groundwork.

Erebus

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Guys, why do you want to reject Eames' invitation? I thought we were here to gain some favour with a Baron, so why leave now?

We already have gained some favor with her by revealing our discovery and we'll gain more if we keep cooperating with her. But accepting her invitation would make us too dependent on her. It would also send to the rest of the Camarilla the message that we're working for her, which I think would have more drawbacks than benefits. We need to remain open to future opportunities.

destroying the Caecilian is an empty gesture.

Quite so, but it'll bring us prestige. The high-ranking members of the Camarilla need to be shown that our value is not limited to the influence we have amongst the Kine and that we can be useful to them.

Our personal goal is less to win the war against the Sabbat than to increase our power. Our personal interest comes before the interest of the Camarilla. Striking a strong blow against the Sabbat would be well and nice, but, if our accomplishment doesn't receive any publicity, it doesn't benefit us. On the other hand, the Sabbat will certainly figure out who was behind the trap and we'll become one of their main targets.

If the "laying a trap" option wins, then I suggest discussing it with the Sheriff : we could definitely use her help and presenting her with a way to hurt the Sabbat should go a long way towards making her appreciate us.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fools in this thread really want to be blood bound to the tremere.

Let me remind you that tremere blood is tzimisce blood.

A)

B)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Uh, yes. They're blood sorcerors after all.

Tremere in particular never not blood bound a servant. They invented gargoyles and their power structure is called the pyramid.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The Tremere are very selective in who they Embrace and normally do so with a mind for the clan's needs, a condition reinforced by the fact that the local regent must give permission for an individual to be sired. Individuals of strong will or aggressive personalities are normally sought, provided they have a clear head and can learn to be a part of the greater whole that is the clan. Candidates were scholars in life, and many dabbled in the occult to one extent or another, though that is not a prerequisite. Of course, there are "rogue" Embraces for the usual reasons, love, political gain, or accident. Regents often have these mistakes killed immediately, with suitable punishment levied against the sire, but there are always exceptions.

Soon after being Embraced, Tremere neonates are made to drink the blood of the Inner Council through a ritual called the Transubstantiation of Seven, bringing them one step towards a blood bond to the clan's leaders and ensuring some degree of loyalty to their peers. Afterwards their training begins, even as they continue to grapple with their transformation into a vampire, memorize the Traditions, learn to feed, and so on. These factors lead to a high rate of failure in newly Embraced Tremere, who may go mad or commit suicide.

I don't think there is any danger for us to be chained in her basement for three days and forced to drink her blood. Such an inelegant action goes completely against what we've seen of her personality. And if she is caught forcing a blood bond on a (relatively) high ranking Camarilla vampire, she could be in major problems. What would be her motive here?

Besides, she's a Tremere regent - if she really wants us blood bonded, it's not like she doesn't have other ways of doing it.

Esquilax

Arcane
Erebus said:
Quite so, but it'll bring us prestige. The high-ranking members of the Camarilla need to be shown that our value is not limited to the influence we have amongst the Kine and that we can be useful to them.

Our personal goal is less to win the war against the Sabbat than to increase our power. Our personal interest comes before the interest of the Camarilla. Striking a strong blow against the Sabbat would be well and nice, but, if our accomplishment doesn't receive any publicity, it doesn't benefit us. On the other hand, the Sabbat will certainly figure out who was behind the trap and we'll become one of their main targets.

If the "laying a trap" option wins, then I suggest discussing it with the Sheriff : we could definitely use her help and presenting her with a way to hurt the Sabbat should go a long way towards making her appreciate us.

For sure, but we can make sure that our goal to increase our power and status is satisfied with B. I just hate getting rid of such a useful potential trap like that. Sure, we'll earn a lot of good will with the Camarilla higher-ups (and some jealousy from du Marchais), but I think it will come back to haunt us. du Marchais has set something in motion that he can't stop, and if we don't start getting a handle on the situation, things will begin to spin out of control. That theatrical ambulance car attack that the Sabbat pulled off is only the beginning - they will put together more Masquerade-breaching stunts to give us (and Humphrey) headaches in the future.

We can make sure that our accomplishment does achieve publicity. Now, Eames will probably try to take the lion's share for the credit here, but we can nullify that possibility by enlisting the Sheriff to rig the place up. If Eames ends up claiming that the trap was her idea, Schiller could speak up in our favour by saying we came up with the trap and that we orchestrated the assassination of a Sabbat leader. Since she's independent from the political side of things and an important person within the Camarilla, Schiller's word will mean a lot if Eames does something. Even if Schiller is a bitch to us, I think she appreciates the fact that we are one of the few Ventrue/ political-types that are actually interested in doing something.

Yes, I concede that it's higher risk, but it will net us way more prestige than simply destroying the Caecilian if we play our cards right. So, I would do it in the way SCO described (sorry I was negative about this before, I really think we can pull something cool off with this):

Step 1: Treat Wilkinson as a trusted confident and mention the Caecilian in the sewers. Tell her that you plan on using it to kill du Marchais or something - just make shit up that sounds believable.
Step 2: Call the Sheriff, tell her about the Cathayan involvement to earn some good will, then ask for her help in stuffing the Caecilian's cave with C4.
Step 3: Call Oscar to set up surveillance in the Caecilian cave. This one might be tricky, but I think that he's cooled off enough to where he'll be receptive to working together again.
Step 4: When the Sculptor comes into the cave to collect, detonate it.

The drawback would be that we would have a huge bullseye on our chests after we kill the Sculptor and take credit for it. Dubrik has already tried to kill us, but after this, he is going to be dead-set on taking us out. But by that time, the Sabbat won't be as relevant and we can perhaps focus on finding more about this Rannigan mystery without these problems cropping up.

EDIT: Also, I agree with Zero Credibility and root. This blood binding stuff is coming from nowhere. We aren't Tremere neonates, ffs. Erebus' position makes more sense, but I'd still rather build bridges than go it alone. We need to maintain networks with powerful people and I see no harm in accepting her invitation. It really is paranoia, IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom