Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

ironyuri

Alright, I've gone back and tallied the votes between Chapters 3 and 4, factoring in flip-flops, mainly from root.

We chose to flatter Karthik (B) with 9 votes.

Leave without further questions was second with 4 votes, no other options got votes.

That's 13 votes.

For the second option we chose to:

B visit the sewer : 5 votes

A take the Russian mobsters: 4 votes

C take neither and leave (Sco suggested contact Nosferatu): 4 votes

That makes 13 in total.

So we flattered Karthik and, mathematically, we took the card with instructions on how to get to the thing in the sewer before we were kidnapped by the Anarchs and taken to Bob Griddle. For the sake of continuity therefore, the sewer investigation should be open to us at any point until grotsnik decides that the thing has moved on because of our lack of punctuality, or that we become unable to visit the sewer because we've turned into ash.

Edit- Did I mention that Smexy Merril is nom noms?

grotsnik

Arcane
What da beef, gents?

There were two business cards. One with the number of the thugs; one with instructions written on it intended to lead you to the sewer-secret. You picked up one of them, 'B' won - therefore you picked up the one concerning the sewers. You don't have access to them Ruskies. Guess the 'business' bit made it unclear...

@Mikayel - thanks!

Incidentally, last night I stumbled onto the first episode of 'Kindred: The Embraced' on Youtube. Anyone else checked out this lore-raping 90s soap opera? I don't wanna say 'laughably bad', but...I did find myself laughing quite a bit at how bad it was.

It contained the line, "To me you're just a monster to be put down like a mad dog!" I think I'm hooked.

EDIT:

ironyuri said:
Edit- Did I mention that Smexy Merril is nom noms?

:x YUUUUURIIi!!!!!

laclongquan

Arcane
Then it's no choice at all.

Call Humphrey. Various reasons to call him, all good ones.

And our first meet with the so-called nominal master of ours, baron Du Marchais. Let's see what the old fool has to say. I am agog. No, it's not ironically said. I do look forward to what he say or brag. Pray that he will be very talkative.

EDIT: just to be very clear on this BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.

zool

Arcane
grotsnik said:
Incidentally, last night I stumbled onto the first episode of 'Kindred: The Embraced' on Youtube. Anyone else checked out this lore-raping 90s soap opera? I don't wanna say 'laughably bad', but...I did find myself laughing quite a bit at how bad it was.

It contained the line, "To me you're just a monster to be put down like a mad dog!" I think I'm hooked.

I did watch a few episodes on Youtube, really enjoyed it in a so-bad-it's-good way.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
z o o l said:
grotsnik said:

I did watch a few episodes on Youtube, really enjoyed it in a so-bad-it's-good way.

Same here. The Ventrue-Brujah cold war was funny. Too bad they decided to stick to five clans with a single appearance of an Assamite. Where are my Malkavians? Why are Nossies dabbling in Tremere stuff like alchemy and where are the Tremere themselves? Where is my Sabbat in all its glory?

curry

Arcane
grotsnik said:
Incidentally, last night I stumbled onto the first episode of 'Kindred: The Embraced' on Youtube. Anyone else checked out this lore-raping 90s soap opera?

I downloaded the season 1 dvd. It's decent. Gets better towards the end.

Storyfag said:
Same here. The Ventrue-Brujah cold war was funny. Too bad they decided to stick to five clans with a single appearance of an Assamite. Where are my Malkavians? Why are Nossies dabbling in Tremere stuff like alchemy and where are the Tremere themselves? Where is my Sabbat in all its glory?

You've played too much Bloodlines, son. In storytelling, every clan and faction doesn't have to make an appearance.

grotsnik

Arcane
Not for a little bit. Rod and someone else pointed out that they were being left behind by the speed of the updates, so I at least want to give them a fighting chance to vote.

Besides which, I do need to strike a healthy balance between 'writes energetic, fast-paced LP' and 'gets fired for spending much of the working day writing R-rated vampire fiction and furiously cross-checking various vampire wikis'.

Esquilax

Arcane
grotsnik said:
Not for a little bit. Rod and someone else pointed out that they were being left behind by the speed of the updates, so I at least want to give them a fighting chance to vote.

Besides which, I do need to strike a healthy balance between 'writes energetic, fast-paced LP' and 'gets fired for spending much of the working day writing R-rated vampire fiction and furiously cross-checking various vampire wikis'.

Dude, who gives a fuck if you get fired? Just change the story a bit to make Anthony sparkly during daylight hours and a romance arc with Erika Schiller (can we choose between the fiesty Gangrel and the dark, but vulnerable Tremere? Fuck it, include Fellowes too) and then you'll make millions writing this good shit.

All jokes aside, you've really spoiled us with so many high-quality updates in a such a short period of time. Yesterday, there were 3 updates - that's fucking nuts. So yeah, of course take your time.

laclongquan

Arcane
'gets fired for spending much of the working day writing R-rated vampire fiction and furiously cross-checking various vampire wikis' is a good enough reason to do things slower. Since time spending on finding new job is time wasted away from keyboards, so we forgive you :obviously: .

But what is this shit about streamlining things for slowpokes? What's next, a bro meter? A popamole character stat sheet? Just how far do you want to fall?

grotsnik

Arcane
Quite a long update, so I apologise if some of it doesn't read too well.

Chapter 9 – London’s Burning

“Yes, Humphrey, you heard me correctly. Creekside Industrial Estate, Deptford. It should begin in roughly thirty-eight minutes. There may be automatic weapon fire.”

You duck into the shadows of the alleyway, heading south-east. Behind you, a truck roars past. Then another.

Humphrey says, weakly, into your ear,

“Patrician, I…er…I don’t know…”

“These are the people responsible for staking out that poor bastard who got caught on camera,” you lie. “We’re making sure they can’t do any more damage – but we need your help.”

Cutting through the darkness of a concrete children’s playground, you slip past three young kine boys smoking weed on the swings. They spit and yell something abusive in your direction.

Your pace quickens.

Humphrey sighs.

“So what do you need from me?” he asks.

“We’ve already got friends on the ground,” you tell him. “They’ll be waiting in squad cars, patrolling the perimeter, making sure nobody gets too close. What we need is a dictat from above. Some old lady hears gunfire, she dials 999, and she’s told it’s a training exercise and she should stay indoors. An officer hears about it, he’s told it’s Scotland Yard taking down drug dealers.”

“And if Scotland Yard hears about it,” Humphrey murmurs, “I tell them it’s the Security Service. All right, Patrician – I know how to keep things quiet. But if any civilians are harmed, any at all…”

He goes quiet for a moment.

“Did you give my predecessor so many sleepless nights?” he says, with a weary little laugh. “No – I’d rather you didn’t answer that. Goodnight, Patrician. I’ll do my best to help.”

You creep onto the edge of the canal just after two. On the ridge, the barons are gathering. There’s a little nervous laughter – almost a sense of festival. Turcov, the lank Baron of Richmond & Houslow, is passing around a silver hip-flask. Filled with the blood of a Spanish prince, he declares proudly. Perfect for holding back the cold. Aldous Fesk, Malkavian primogen, lurks beneath his raincoat and cackles quietly to himself about the coming rain.

You slip into the group. A few glances; and then heads turn back towards the grey rooftops below. Figures are moving through the narrow streets. In threes and fours – now you’ll catch sight of a tall, looming shape trailing past the telegraph lines to the north, now a pack of wolf-like creatures dodging through the car park to the east. All of them converging upon the great warehouse in the very centre of the industrial estate.

Du Marchais is standing on the edge of the ridge, chatting with a scrawny Kindred in shirt and shorts. He turns, and acknowledges you, a satisfied grin spreading across his face.

“Come to see the fireworks, eh?” he says. “Well, well, I don’t blame you. I don’t blame you at all. I don’t suppose you know Don-”

“Finally,” the scrawny Kindred says, in a rangy American drawl, “somebody I’ve heard of. Pleased to meet you, Patrician.”

He takes your hand, grinning; he has, you can’t help but notice, an absolutely hideous moustache perched on his upper lip.

“Don Jamieson,” he says. “Like the whiskey. I heard a lot about you, sir.”

“Jamieson,” du Marchais tells you, “is an emissary recently arrived from our Kindred in New York. An honour, indeed, to have our American cousins visit us on the eve of such a momentous occasion.”

He smirks at you. He doesn’t seem to have picked up on the crack about ‘somebody I’ve heard of’.

“Is that right?” you reply.

Jamieson rocks cheerfully back on the heels of his shoes.

“Well,” he says, giving you a hearty wink, “I been in town for a week or so, picking up the sights. Just a vacation, y’know? And I look down from the heights and I see Kindred, Kindred, Kindred, all tooled up and heading south. Life in London always this exciting?”

“Rarely,” you murmur, turning to gaze back out towards the industrial estate. You’ve just made out the unmistakeable, gangly shape of Fellowes, picking his way fastidiously across the nearest rooftop.

“The first of many assaults,” du Marchais pronounces, “upon the strongholds of the Sabbat. The opening strike of the campaign to reclaim the south of the city.”

“That so?” Jamieson says. He scratches his eye. “I, uh, heard Fesk there saying you were going in to get one of your boys back. Interesting stuff."

Du Marchais pretends not to have heard. Jamieson just grins at him.

"Well," he says. "I’ll go chat to that saucy Tremere Baroness of yours. Just a tip from New York, Baron – fighting the Sabbat’s easy. Driving them out? That’s a little different. Evening, gentlemen.”

You watch him stroll away across the grass, hands in the pockets of his shorts, towards the rest of the group.

“He’s quite the hot-shot in New York, I hear,” du Marchais says, after a moment. “Though he lacks…decorum. That’s just the American way, I suppose.”

You clear your throat, significantly.

“Baron,” you begin. The use of the title is enough to get his attention.

“Baron,” you continue, “I am aware that I have acted wrongly; that I have failed to respect your rights and your authority in Whitehall. I behaved as if your domain was my domain, and I your equal. You might have killed me for this. Instead, you showed patience and restraint – and when the time came, you taught me a valuable lesson.”

You extend your hand.

“I want to thank you,” you tell him. “You found Rannigan when I could not. You reminded me of the limits of my powers – and the foolhardiness of my ambition.”

Du Marchais stares at you. His smile widens. And then, with a giggling, child-like laugh, he takes your hand.

“My dear boy,” he cries, “I’m so glad, so very glad that you’re being sensible about this. And, after all, you’re not unintelligent. I mean, your contacts alone…look, there’s no need for us to continue bickering. I can find work for you after tonight, don’t you worry.”

He glances across, and brightens. You turn.

The Prince is stalking up over the ridge. Three suited Brujah trail behind him.

He nods to the gathered Kindred, one after the other, as he passes them; then he comes to you.

“Ah,” he says, after a moment. His grey eyes rest upon you. “Have you contacted your kine friends in government, Sommers?”

“I have, sire,” you reply, bowing.

He nods, apparently satisfied.

“Good,” Kirkbeck says, and turns his attention to du Marchais.

“Esteban,” he murmurs, “how are we doing?”

Suddenly, du Marchais looks rather panicked.

“Well,” he gabbles, fast, “very well, sire, I think. Er…I think we’re ready to go, in fact. If you’d like me to give the signal…”

The Prince nods.

“Do it,” he says.

Du Marchais, fumbling about in his coat pocket, produces a mobile. He frowns at it, as if slightly confused by all of the buttons, before dialling a five-digit number.

“Sunrise,” he says, and hangs up.

For a moment, the night remains still. And then the shadows begin to move, far below.

A cackle of machine-gun fire, from somewhere to the south.

The warehouse doors burst open; figures dash out in all directions, scrambling for the cover of the vehicles in the car park.

Fellowes’ arm barely moves. Two muffled shots. Two of the figures fall back.

“One of our lot doing well,” du Marchais says, appreciatively.

Someone hands you a pair of binoculars. You raise them.

The remaining Sabbat in the car park have taken up a position behind a van. A flash, and a burst of blue flame. Someone begins to scream.

“What the hell was that?” Samantha Eames asks.

“No idea,” one of the Barons answers. “Ah! Don’t worry – here come the Nos.”

More gunfire. Bodies stream forward through the night. The Sabbat take aim; a Nosferatu falls.

“Sire,” du Marchais asks, suddenly, “ahm…where is the Sheriff? Shouldn’t she be here, in case the Sabbat…er…strike back?”

Kirkbeck shakes his head.

“She’s happiest down there,” he says.

An enormous grey wolf pounds forward out of the shadows, knocking one of the Sabbat back against the side of the van. Something shifts, and Erika Schiller’s standing there, slashing downwards-

The vampire implodes into ash. His fellows scatter. They don’t get far. On the roof above, Fellowes slips downwards and out of sight.

“Bravo!” someone says. “They’ve taken the front doors.”

Not a moment too soon, you think, passing on the binoculars; the windows of the apartment high-rise on the other side of the canal are lighting up. Far away, to the north, a police siren begins to wail.

“Make sure our boys in blue pick the car up before it gets too close,” says the Prince, without turning his head. “We’ll need at least another hour.”

It occurs to you that you’ve never seen him so imposing as he is now. Nothing has changed, outwardly, in his appearance, and he speaks in the same quiet monotone. It’s more a question of the atmosphere around him; the way the other Kindred turn to listen when he talks.

They’re all uncertain, you think. They’d got complacent, and settled, and now everything’s been upheaved.

Below, a vampire scrambles out of one of the upper warehouse windows. He gets halfway before he’s dragged back inside.

Du Marchais is whispering furiously to someone on his phone.

“There’s a couple of pack members on the top floor,” he says, glancing up. “Sounds like they’re dug in fairly, ah, deep. Took a couple of our Brujah down. But if we…”

A rattle of shots from inside. Another window shatters.

And then silence. A single howl rings out from the depths of the warehouse.

“Is that it?” Turcov asks.

Kirkbeck frowns.

“I believe that’s it,” he says. “Yes,” he adds, more loudly. “I think that’s it.”

The assembled Kindred break into spontaneous applause.

And below, the howl becomes a hundred howls, echoing out into the night with vigour and lust and triumph. The restraints of the Masquerade, cast off by a bloodied and victorious Beast.

It takes them some time to prise open the trapdoor, hidden beneath a stack of crates in the back rooms of the warehouse. Outside, the Kindred are counting Sabbat corpses.

The Sheriff takes a couple of steps downwards, into the darkness below.

She vanishes only for a second before climbing back up.

“Kindred remains down there,” she says.

Du Marchais, you notice, seems immediately relieved by this news; his entire body relaxes. Schiller must have seen it too, because she catches your eye before turning to tell the Prince,

“Six of them.”

Kirkbeck nods.

“I suppose,” he says, “it’s more than likely that one of the victims was Rannigan. A shame, a terrible shame. Load the bones onto stretchers and remove them. Through the front,” he adds, “so that all may see what the Sabbat is capable of.”

He taps at something with the tip of his shoe.

You lean forward.

A scrap of skin. Purpling, almost round. A bulging, hollow pustule of flesh, that sticks firmly to the concrete floor. It almost looks like a droplet from something that once hung, far above.

“A Tzimicse has been here,” the Prince mutters. He sounds almost weary at the thought of it.

The shovelhead squirms. Firm hands hold him in place.

“I don’t know nothing!” he yells.

“You kidnapped a Camarilla baron,” the Prince intones. “You and the rest of your filthy pack murdered him in cold blood. You understood the consequences of your actions.”

All around the car park, Kindred are listening.

“Nine of our number died tonight,” Kirkbeck says, loudly, for the benefit of the crowd. “Their deaths shall be added to the charges against your kind. They will be avenged, I promise you.”

He lifts the long machete.

“Sculptor Angelos gonna know about this!” the shovelhead shrieks. “He’ll come for all you Camarilla fucks!”

The Prince slices down across the creature’s throat. The machete sticks awkwardly at the bone, and Schiller has to step in to help.

Behind the execution, to your surprise, you see Samantha Eames turn her head away as the shovelhead dissolves into ash.

There’s still an hour until dawn.

You trudge home through the empty streets. Fellowes and the rest of the rank-and-file have been put to work clearing up the warehouse. The elders have returned to the Prince’s residence to celebrate.
And here you are, somewhere in between.

A couple of kine protestors, jubilant, stroll past you, arm-in-arm, something about overcoming some day.

You keep walking, trying to think.

Up ahead, on Frith Street, the sound of a window being broken. Silence.

And a shop on the corner explodes outwards. Glass and wooden splinters shatter out across the pavement. Flames roar and swell, caressing the ruined skeleton of the shop-front window. Someone’s thrown a petrol bomb.

Two figures dash away from the scene, their feet smacking against the cobblestones. Car alarms begin to wail, all around.

Not just a shop, you realise. A home above a shop. Because, high above the snaking fire, smoke rising through the remains of the narrow building, someone’s begun to scream.

Do you-

A) Help whoever’s trapped in there.

B) Keep walking. Kine are kine.

C) Well, since whoever’s in there will most likely be burnt alive anyway…I might as well head up there and drain them.

D) Chase the bombers.

This was orchestrated to align with the vampire war. Nobody sets of explosives in London just for lulz. But we are too kewl for that.

B) Keep walking. Kine are kine.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Silly me, no bomb. Though the corpse, coincidence or complot?

A) find out what is so interesting about that person.
However beware the Rötschreck. Use dominate on the kine to jump out of the window quickly. First floor, no major injuries expected. Or something. Don't allow yourself to be frenzied/enter the burning building.

Can we make a phone call after? If so i vote to phone Antonia and find out about the American Canite.
I think he might be someone important in the new york factions.

This is the NY page on the WoD wiki
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/New_Yor ... %28oWOD%29
(edited again, to the fan wiki instead).

Anyway, three interesting things:
Esteban being nervous: why lose the cool just because the prince asked the question? He isn't fooling anyone.
blue fire
Samantha was not appreciative of the execution

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also reading the wod wiki

Name: Caine (cursed), Cain (as mortal)
Mother: Eve [1]
Father: Adam [1]
Cursed: contestably c. 200,000 BC [2]
Generation: 1st
Sire: "God Almighty"
I knew it!

laclongquan

Arcane
Blue fire noted! That look dangerous. And intriguing.

As for Sammy's unappreciation? WHat do you expect? She's a fasticidious vamp, with style inherent of a tremere, and here the Prince fumble the business best left for Sheriff or a lower rank brute. Purely inelegance, It is.

And help whoever is trapped in there. Too many kindred died this night already, no need for more. Kine? Well, aint them one lucky bunch.

Also noted the point about this assassination's features of this event. WE are paranoiac but also healthy this night, weary of soul but not of body. We have enough strength to attempt this rescue alone.

aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And grotsnik, wont you add your map to the frontpage?

Esquilax

Arcane
Great stuff. Between becoming Baron and us playing the meek little bitch-boy, du Marchais' ego is sky-high. Which means that he won't see it coming when we fuck him in the ass. We will play him for the long haul, this is just the first step. Our immediate goal is getting him out of the way and regaining some of our prestige. After that, at a close second, it's finding the truth of this whole Rannigan business, not whatever poorly thought-out bullshit that du Marchais managed to cobble together. We are part of the Camarilla, we are the guy with "conviction", so we need to find out what's really afoot to benefit our faction. And we need to do it in a way that doesn't make the Prince look bad while at the same time discrediting du Marchais. Piece of cake, right?

Goddamn do I hate that asshole. Can barely use a fucking cell phone, yet he thinks he runs shit. Grotsnik, great job on creating such a memorable antagonist. What makes him so great is that he's so relatable - pretty much everybody at a job with a ton of office politics knows an asshole like that.

Great suggestion by SCO to get in touch with Antonia by phone to get some info on this Don Jamieson fellow - he snubbed du Marchais during the raid and went out of his way to talk to us, so I'd like to learn more about him. Sammy's reaction was interesting. I very much doubt that she's a Sabbat sympathizer - she's a Tremere, the Tzimisce would want to tear her a new asshole on principle alone. I feel a little uneasy about telling her about the situation, since she seems like the type that would take credit for it if we told her. I dunno.

As for this upcoming choice, I think A is best. The whole reason that the Prince gave us any sort of respect tonight for our political connections - we lose Humphrey, we're fucked. There is a good chance those connections saved us from getting a Final Death. Since Humphrey would be very upset if any civilians died tonight, we pretty much have to save these people. Even better, we might learn something interesting. With Edgar's training making us faster and a little bit of Fortitude, I think we'll be okay.

EDIT: Fuck it, this whole thing has nothing to do with Humphrey. Even if we don't frenzy, it isn't worth it. Root is completely right on this. Tough shit, kine. Time to get some sleep. Flopping to B) Keep walking. Kine are kine.

Erebus

Arcane
Aren't Ventrue only able to feed from one specific kind of people ?

Anyway, I vote A. Esquilax is right : we shouldn't allow any civilian to get killed in this area tonight.

Esquilax

Arcane
Erebus said:

Anyway, I vote A. Esquilax is right : we shouldn't allow any civilian to get killed in this area tonight.

Also, it is about fucking time we did something physically dangerous to increase our BRO meter.

ironyuri

root said:
it's a trap! all of them options!

that's why I can't choose.

You're saying the kine is a tranny? :incline:

Alright, I'll bite and vote A along with some of the others. We need to maintain our humanity in order to effectively use our mortal/kine contacts anyway. We should also see about using the speed and fortitude we picked up through training with Edgar.

VOTE CHANGED TO B

Given our Ventrue's personality however (cowardly in WWII) it may be out of character. Perhaps he's doing it because he's pissed about du Marchais and just wants some god damn action, whatever.

Helping the person would be difficult. Rotschreck makes even approaching fire a problem, and even if we can, Fortitude can only do so much. You can't Dominate without eye contact, and that seems unlikely to be able to establish given the situation. So I'd vote for a modified A: Assess the situation and, only if it's safe enough to do so (by whatever metric our character uses), make any attempt to rescue the poor sod. Make that a B. Reasons are in a later post.

I do like how the rest of the situation turned out though. The blue fire is interesting enough. If possible, I'll echo the idea to contact our ghoul to see if we have anything on Jamieson. If not, no matter.

Erebus said:
Yes, with the rare exception of their food of choice being impossible to find (when they change to something similar). Can feed on vampire blood normally, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom