Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Night Empire

ironyuri

laclongquan

Arcane
Although the responsibility of Iacomo's guide make us considering the choice of chasing after him, he might not be in danger. A moving target is a harder hitting target. And stay close to him at this moment is more good than bad (we provide him some more local protection). It's a choice to consider.

Taurien Club could be a good choice, though there's only Sommers and just-recovered Edgar Fellowe. Still, if that ambush succeed, half of London's barons will be dead come the dawn. High risk, but high gain. A True Camarrilla option.

Staying at Oxford is highly suspected. It could be the undeath of him, or unseat of his barony. No choice there.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So... uh. What's the chance Vogler's not Sabbat again? Guys?

My little theory is that he's been sent by his contact in Venice to use the Sabbat to assassinate Iacomo for some currently unknown slight. I have nothing really to base this on, I just think there's more to him than just being a Sabbat spy.

Deleted Member 10432

Tough one. The first thing we need is real information. Specifically, we need to know what state Iacomo and Turcov are in. We also need to take charge of and stabilise this situation before anyone else does, and demonstrate our natural position at the forefront of the pack. So, B, head for the ghoul base. It may be wise to (P) either Cripps or Costello for intel, though we don't want to give away our location to the Sabbat, of course.

Heading into the sewers is a bad idea with the mosquito threat. Going to the Prince's palace is an inherently defensive posture, and is risky at that - even if we get inside, we're effectively trapped. Going to Witanhurst may secure us intel, but still leaves us inside London. The Taurien club likewise leaves us in London, and we will be useless there on our own: either the Sabbat will have been held off, or they'll be present in number. A 50/50 chance of finding Iacomo isn't great, and staying in Oxford looks like indecision. And I really don't see what good rushing to the remains of Turcov's side will do.

By contrast, using our ghouls places us inthe moderately dangerous position of possibly revealing our ace too early. On the plus side, it gives us defensive and offensive options.

My
stock-photo-united-kingdom-circa-an-english-two-pence-halfpenny-blue-used-postage-stamp-showing-47313097.jpg
, anyway.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
what good rushing to the remains of Turcov's side will do.

He's a Ventrue, he could potentially have very high fortitude, perhaps enough to withstand the blast. Add to that it sounds like he was very near to a panic room and could potentially have escaped the blast.

Gondolin

Arcane
Shit was going too well for us.

Djadjamankh said:
By contrast, using our ghouls places us inthe moderately dangerous position of possibly revealing our ace too early. On the plus side, it gives us defensive and offensive options.

That's what I'm thinking. We might be able to rescue someone or, at least, increase our odds to reach some London location.

Esquilax

Arcane
Haha, things have certainly gotten interesting.

Unless anyone has any Crazy Ventrue Schemes (tm) planned, I am VOTING B. The ghoul squad would be happy to see Eddie back as well. I was tempted by heading to the Taurien Club, but I just don't think that would be feasible given that it would be only us and Eddie. If they are attacking the place, then I doubt we could really do anything to stop them. As for who to call, I would suggest (P) Horn. Horn would be most likely to know about attacks going on throughout London, even if he doesn't know vampires are involved. We can probably read between the lines to figure out what's really going on. At the very least, it would give us potential targets as well as places to stay the fuck away from.

The other option that sounds good is heading over to Witanhurst. It would be a bit less risky than heading to our ghoul base, and it would be possible to direct and coordinate things from there remotely.

Edit: As Gondolin said, it might result in revealing our ace too early in the game. Damn.

B, (P) Cripps to recon the situation at the Taurien Club and look for clues as to where the Sabbat is heading after the assault.

G, (P) Cripps to recon the Taurien Club.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This is the time to reveal our ace. We need bodyguards and we need a strike team if we're to retain even a shred of initiative.

True enough. Voting B. I'm also torn between calling Horn or Costello for more info or Archon Iacomo to ascertain whether Connaught is a lying bastard or not.

Anyone else thinks Vogler's message was a warning for *us* not to return home? Or maybe a hint that Wyther's not coming home to Turkov?

ironyuri

I was totally blown away by the update, grotsnik. That's why I spammed some Clash, because it totally put me in the mood. Brilliant update, one of your best across the entire LP.

If I might ask, where is the ghoul squad based? Would we not have to take the M40 either way, and possibly find Iacomo en route to London regardless?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Come to think of it, the mosquito lady is most intriguing. Normally, the only Vampires with bug affinity would be Baali, but that would rule out her cooperation with Connaught (who seemed pleased when he heard the buzz of her mosquitos in the previous update). Not sure what to make of her, really. If she's a Baali, Connaught might be using her (or hoping to use her) without any formal alliance or even communication between the parties. If she's not a Baali, what is she? Animalism allows one to control any animal, but bugs would be an unusual choice for any regular user of this Discipline...

grotsnik

Arcane
Thanks!

Uh, I think I said the ghoul squad was camped out in an abandoned Sussex airfield. So to get there, you might take the M40 and travel around the ring-road, or you might cut down south through Reading.

map.png

Either way, the implicit point of the 'find Iacomo' option is that you're spending time actively looking for him - while he did head down the M40, whether he reached London safely or not, you're not just going to bump into his car on the road.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
*scratches head*

Come to think of it, didn't we move the ghouls to Witanhurst? Or to a new base of operations in London?

StealthEdit: Also, decided on the (P)honecall: Cripps. And ask him to investigate the Taurien Club.

grotsnik

Arcane
*scratches head*

Come to think of it, didn't we move the ghouls to Witanhurst? Or to a new base of operations in London?

...you may well be right, but I don't remember it happening, and I don't think it would have been a choice. Are you sure it wasn't just part of some grand scheming discussion that never really came to fruition?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
*scratches head*

...you may well be right, but I don't remember it happening, and I don't think it would have been a choice. Are you sure it wasn't just part of some grand scheming discussion that never really came to fruition?

I'm not sure of anything ATM. Give me some time to dig through the thread.

Arright, we ended up NOT moving the team anywhere. All my lobbying in that regard failed :(

laclongquan

Arcane
No, if I remember correctly, the squad is based on a separate facility to train, not yet move back to our residence.

I say, chase after Iacomo is prolly the safest course, since I dont think there's ambush for him.

The Sabbat attacks The Club in strength, axe on door is not exactly subtle. and possibly ambush both Vogler and the Sheriff. It's highly possible there's ambush around the Prince's palace, possibly one specifically for us. Vogler's message is prolly a warning for us not to return home.

Go to the ghoul squad is second safest, though we will be cut off the information flow. Hard to know what happened.

Other choices retain huge risk in one form or another.

laclongquan

Arcane
No, if I remember correctly, the squad is based on a separate facility to train, not yet move back to our residence.

I say, chase after Iacomo is prolly the safest course, since I dont think there's ambush for him.

The Sabbat attacks The Club in strength, axe on door is not exactly subtle. and possibly ambush both Vogler and the Sheriff. It's highly possible there's ambush around the Prince's palace, possibly one specifically for us. Vogler's message is prolly a warning for us not to return home.

Go to the ghoul squad is second safest, though we will be cut off the information flow. Hard to know what happened.

Other choices retain huge risk in one form or another.

ironyuri

Grot-bro, another clarification question: What will be the extent of London Camarilla / London Sabbat control? I mean is it everything within the ring road? / the M25 in the south to the M11 in the north?

Obviously if the Sabbat are siezing London, and looking for any Camarilla within its limits, then we need to stay off the M40 between High Wycombe/Beaconsfield and London.

Incidentally, at this point I think I should remind everyone of some basics:

Anthony Sommers (Presumably at the end of Wild Nights, prior to Night Empire)

St: |
Dex: | |
Stam: | |
Char: | | | |
Manip: | |
Appearance: | |
Perception: | |
Intelligence: | | |
Wits: | |
Empathy: | |
Leadership: | | | |
Drive: | |
Etiquette: | | |
Firearms: | | |
Melee: |
Academics: | |
Computer: |
Finance: | |
Investigation: | |
Law: | |
Politics: | | | | |
Science: |
Technology: |
Merits: Political Ties, Coldly Logical
Flaws: Phobia (Intense, warfare-like violence)
Humanity: | | | | | | | |
Dominate: | | |
Fortitude: |
Presence: | | | |

LONDON AS IT STOOD (BEFORE LAST NIGHT'S ATTACKS):

jkNuF.jpg

THE TWELVE COUNCIL MEMBERS OF THE LONDON CAMARILLA:

grotsnik said:
The Twelve Council Members

Rodyon Turcov: Ventrue Primogen, Baron of Mayfair (PRESUMED DEAD)

With his new-found territory in the heart of London, Turcov has moved into the fashionable 50 Berkeley Square, once, legendarily, the most haunted house in the city, where at least three Kine are said to have died of fright or committed suicide having spent the night there. Now, however, the house is quiet, and a splendid, fortified base from which Turcov may both gather his mostly Toreador artistic court and network with his new neighbours; the incredibly wealthy Russian oligarchs and Saudi businessmen who dominate the leafy squares of Mayfair.

Weep-Not Sorley: Nosferatu Primogen, no baronies

Sorley is still around, that much is certain, and fouler of mood than ever before; he still attends councils, but the location of the new Nosferatu headquarters remains disputed and he sneers off enquiries, both public and private, about the new base and his latest surveillance. Without a prince, nobody has yet felt up to challenging him, but there can be no doubt that a confrontation is on the horizon.

Aldous Fesk: Malkavian Primogen, Baron of Angel

There are whispers that the bizarre trends amongst London hipsters in Islington and Hackney for absurd, brightly coloured clothing are the direct result of a prank committed by the usually dour and miserable Malkavian primogen. Fesk himself lives in a penthouse at the very top of a comfortable block of flats; his closest allies say, half-joking, that he claims he likes to be able to see when the dawn's coming.

Riva Santangelo: Toreador Primogen, Baron of Camden Town

Camden is a smaller, grubbier city in its own right, it's sometimes been said, a filthy and rotten little Amsterdam and so the elderly Toreador primogen, in a calculated and occasionally desperate attempt to remain ahead of the curve in a city whose cultural edge shifts by the week, prefers to remain out there whenever possibly, claiming that the latest art installation or beat poetry event is far more thrilling than the traditional Toreador haunts in Soho and the city centre. She's said to live in a houseboat on the canal, though this remains highly disputed.

Frank Biggs: Brujah Primogen, Baron of the East End

The East End, filled with anarchs and powerful Giovanni, is hardly prime real estate, despite its size, history and the value of Canary Wharf and the Docklands; and it's even more of an irritation to a formerly labouring-class Brujah who has to endure constant taunts about his Camarilla allegiance. Biggs, to be fair, makes an effort; he's attended anarch meetings in the past and attempted to lecture them on the value of changing the Camarilla from within (unpopular) and courts Kine trade union leaders, like a half-arsed version of the Ventrue he wrongly believes he can outsmart. He sleeps in a converted warehouse off Mile End, surrounded by guards to protect him from his 'enemies' on all sides. He's being paranoid, but that doesn't mean he's entirely wrong.

Shaul Artzi: Tremere Primogen, Baron of Lambeth, Regent of the Lambeth Chantry

Lambeth was once the great centre of British alchemy; overwhelmed by the Victorian breakthroughs of the Greenwich chantry, however, it soon fell into relative disrepair. Artzi, a wistful bespectacled scholar of the old school, had rather come to enjoy being able to focus on his studies while Samantha Eames did the politicking on behalf of their clan. He is currently rather shell-shocked, therefore, both that he is suddenly being called upon to represent the Tremere, and that a great many Kindred are now calling for their removal from the city.

Eda Sly: Ventrue Baron of Southwark and Lewisham (PRESUMED DEAD)

Eda is one of the elder Ventrue in London, an old Victorian Kindred who lobbied (unsuccessfully) against Prince Kirkbeck after the fall of Anne Bowesley, which led to her dismissal to her relatively unimpressive barony on the outskirts of the city. Her bitterness has proven her weakness; rather than attempting to re-learn the new Camarilla social structure and work her way back up it, she's stewed and brooded in her rooms over the old Clink Prison on the southern banks of the river, cursing johnny-come-latelys and especially Turcov, who is her elder but a foreigner, and should not, therefore, be primogen. With Kirkbeck's death, she's begun to speak up more loudly, stating that it's her turn now; she is most likely bound to be disappointed once again.

Andre Carabas: Toreador Baron of Bexley & Havering

This dandyish Toreador has made himself both relatively trusted (by loudly proclaiming a disdain for backstabbing and politics) and somewhat indispensable (thanks to his skill in containing both valuable antiques and Kindred gewgaws). He rarely bothers spending much time in his unimportant and unimpressive barony in the far eastern suburbs of the city, dwelling instead in a nick-nack store just off Portobello Road.

Anthony Sommers: Ventrue Baron of Whitehall (for now)

It's you. You know who you are.

Digby Deeds: Toreador Baron of Wimbledon

The final agreement between Sommers and Turcov (the last time they've spoken in the last few months) which led to Sommers taking Whitehall made it clear that the young Ventrue wished to be rid of the poisoned chalice of Wimbledon. Deeds was, everybody knows, one of Turcov's Toreador courtiers, but nobody has quite been able to ascertain exactly what the dull-eyed, handsome preener did wrong to be exiled southwards to the now ill-reputed barony of Wimbledon.

Earl Godrick: Ventrue Baron of the South (PRESUMED DEAD)

The South is barely Camarilla anymore; it's well-known. Certainly Godrick, another of the city's oldest and most aristocratic Ventrue, does not bother trying to keep control down there or combating the Sabbat, but keeps to either his Cavendish Square home or his mansion in Surrey; he is most notable these days for his continued chairmanship of the Taurien Club, the elite and currently sparsely-populated private club intended to be a gathering of London's most important Ventrue. Anthony Sommers has yet to receive his invitation.

Jacqueline Dee: Ventrue Baron of Richmond & Hounslow (PRESUMED DEAD)

Another of Turcov's friends, and a childe of Lady Anne's herself, the highly intelligent but slightly subservient Dee was a disappointment to her ambitious sire, and spent many of her years as a fledgling as a kind of Ventrue intern, shuttled back and forth between her elders, until she found a position that truly suited her - as a solicitor and accountant to the city's wealthiest Kindred. Though she now holds a barony, it is clearly as a favour to her patron Turcov; Dee is most contented managing the power of others.

THE PRINCELY CANDIDATES

grotsnik said:
Potential Princely Candidates

Julian Fox

You'll know this one, Patrician. Ventrue, one of the old aristocratic guard who reinvented himself as the modern globe-trotting businessman. Studied under Lady Anne, left to consult Kine princes in the Middle East and stayed alive despite a few wrangles with the Ashirra. He'd be a damned popular choice in the city - I might even go so far as to say he's the obvious horse to bet on, and he'll certainly have no difficulty finding friends. The problem? Some people are saying he's considered a bit of a light-weight in Venice - that his years adventuring outside Europe are rather looked down upon.

The Pellmell Queen

Bit of an odd one. Malk, obviously; she spent a great many years performing around Europe. Got her own little travelling court. She claims her madness allows her to speak with past Kindred (though it's hardly something she's in control of, per se); there's plenty have dismissed her as a charlatan or, you know, a Malk, but she's been presented to elders over the decades and some of them have been rather impressed. And now the whisper factory says she's on a boat to London to ask 'Mithras' who the new prince should be, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she recommended herself.

Amelia Britt

Yeah, I know. That pint-sized Brujah Prince in Birmingham who stays popular mainly by constantly complaining about how London has too much power. Nobody, and I mean, nobody in the city would smile at the thought of her taking over, but the problem is, she's the sensible, default option. She has the experience, she's proven she can control a large city, and she's been very vocal these past few months about how London needs cleaning up. Has a replacement who can step in at short notice, which is a boon for her - I doubt Venice will want to swap out Princes to the detriment of another UK city.

Tarquin

Another Ventrue - Kirkbeck's old friend, Prince of Edinburgh. A wicked old sod, smarter than Kirkbeck if their peers are to be believed, with a sense of humour and a highly ruthless streak. (Possible ties to the Dunsirn bankers? May just have been an opponent trying to discredit him.) No doubt that Venice would like him as a tough, long-term ruler, but Tarquin may not want to go - he has Kine ties to the Scottish Nationalists, seems genuinely fond of the city he rules, and has spoken publicly of his distaste for English Kindred.

Palomides

Toreador; poet and politician, spent a few fledgling years in London but soon left for Italy, where I think he's been flourishing ever since. If none of the candidates are found to be worthy, I'd stake my heart (hah) they'll send over him or someone like him - a guard dog from the Inner Circle to keep watch over everything on their behalf. Don't expect him to bother doing much lobbying - if Venice choose him, he'll be here no matter what any of us want.

Wilhelm Vogler

Prince of Swansea, Gangrel. Bit of a clever social climber, likes to use his clan to indicate he's straight-talking and honest, talks a lot about reintroducing his peers back into the Camarilla. Embarrassed himself a little back in his homeland when he was young, nasty business, but nothing so damning as to kill his chances. Has someone's ear in Venice, otherwise I'd say his kind doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting close.

Brother David

Used to be a monk, if you'll believe it; now Regent of the Bristol chantry and a powerful influence in the Pyramid, a lobbyist for Tremere influence across the country. Vienna may push for a Tremere prince to 1) investigate the Greenwich goings-on personally 2) ensure that there are no further reprisals. David seems the likeliest candidate.

Eda Sly

Well...she seems to think she's a candidate. I don't know who she's been talking to.

ANTHONY SOMMERS' CONTACT LIST (Up-to-date)

grotsnik said:

Wilhelm Vogler (OUT OF REACH)
Vogler, an up-and-coming, curiously diplomatically-minded Gangrel, has an eye on the position of Prince of London and has asked for Sommers' help in the affair; his resources, up to a point, should be considered at Sommers' disposal.

Rodyon Turcov (PRESUMED DEAD)

Turcov is, somewhat understandably, sick of the sight of the younger Ventrue. While he will certainly continue to support Sommers to help keep the peace for the present, he is unlikely to make much of an effort to help him in the near future.

Sir Humphrey Trentbridge

Sir Humphrey is no longer in government – however, like so many of his kind, his ‘retirement’ exists in name only; he still has a great deal of influence on his peers, and currently sits as a non-executive on the board of one of the country’s major banks, and hopes to entice Sommers to also become involved.

Edgar Fellowes (IN SOMMERS' COMPANY)

Sommers sees little of Fellowes these days, though they communicate over the phone most nights. The Toreador is still watching over the ghouls of Operation Wistman, although his talents are more and more in demand with other members of the Camarilla. Sommers is all-too aware that his staunchest ally may be offered a position with another, more powerful elder in the near future.

Costello

This elegant harpy takes her place, in the centre of a group of highly-fashionable, utterly devoted Kine admirers, in the Fleshmarket in Hoxton, a garish den of earthly pleasures. Costello’s popularity makes her difficult to reach, at times.

William Horn

Politicians, as Sommers has come to learn, are replaced too soon; there’s no mileage in them. Civil servants of Her Majesty’s Government do not have to concern themselves with re-election, and all policy – foreign and domestic – requires the say-so of the Treasury. William Horn, wheezing, greedy and saturnine, is a truly useful ghoul.

Mr Cripps

This foul-looking, hulking Nosferatu, his putrid face wrapped in bandages and an ancient bowler hat perched atop his asymmetrical head is in charge of Sommers’ personal safety while Fellowes is busy. He certainly seems competent enough, though you couldn’t say the enormous, constantly-scowling Cripps is particularly pleasant company…

Antonia

Now permanently stationed in a comfortable flat in Westminster itself, Antonia will be able to keep Sommers abreast of anything he might need to know.

Robert Griddle

It's unlikely - after the embarrassment Sommers has caused him - that Griddle will want to be contacted by him.

grotsnik

Arcane
Grot-bro, another clarification question: What will be the extent of London Camarilla / London Sabbat control? I mean is it everything within the ring road? / the M25 in the south to the M11 in the north?

Technically, I suppose so, but in reality you're probably not going to see any real Kindred presence further out than, say, Croydon or Harrow - no vampire worth their salt is ever going to bother trying to seize control of Romford, for example.

ironyuri

If we're going to call anyone, it should be kindred. Horn can't do anything to help us without creating a huge Masquerade violation. What will he do? Send in MI5, MI6, the SAS, the Household Cavalry? We can't dominate all of them.

If we go anywhere, we'll only have one phonecall, and we need to make any phonecall count, so here's my breakdown of our contact list:

Vogler (Missing in Action):
We tried to call Vogler back when he sent his original message, and now we know he's looking for something in the Sewers. Perhaps with his Animalism discipline he worked out something was up with the mosquitoes... perhaps he's looking for the new Nosferatu warrens. We don't know. If he's in the Sewers, he doesn't have his phone on him, or is unable to use it. Like Turcov (see next), calling him would be high risk of nothing, possibly big reward. He seems to have known about this and he warned Tony, so I am inclined to say he might not be Sabbat... but there's definitely more to him than meets the eye.

Rodyon Turcov:
He is presumed K.I.A. or at the very least, M.I.A. A call to him may be a wasted opportunity, or it may confirm his survival in order that we arrange a rendez-vous (either at our Sussex airfield, or elsewhere). This of course, could lead the Sabbat to Sommers, or present a number of other issues.

Humphrey Trentbridge:
He can't help us with our kindred situation, but he might be able to throw some weight around to help take the heat off Horn in the Hunter debacle.

Edgar Fellowes:
Is sitting next to us.

Costello:
We just phoned her, presumably, she's now running for her (un)life, or will have fled the city. In the chaos, she won't be able to tell us anything useful. The Nosferatu are most likely to have any idea what's going on, not the Harpies.

William Horn:
We might phone him, but he'll be too busy cleaning up the Hunter aftermath and managing the investigation (or dodging it) to do us another favour of that magnitude so quickly. We could only call him to re-assure him, but he's a ghoul, and ultimately, a disposable one. Trentbridge can always find us someone else to ghoulify in the upper echelons of politics.

Mr. Cripps:
A selfish choice of phonecall, as he is Sommers' other personal bodyguard, but remember the Ventrue creed: Kindred and kine are our bricks and mortar, hammer and anvil, etc. We cannot fight effectively for ourselves, so we must have bodies to wield like a righteous fist. If we can locate Cripps, we might have him rendez-vous with us, or provide details on what's happening in London. He would be an effective scout. If we go to Sussex to the ghoul squad and have him meet us there, the sight of a disfigured Nossie might turn the Squad combat loopy.

Antonia:
Our ghoul might be able to find something out, but chances are if the Sabbat know about her, she's already dead. If we call her, it would be to tell her to get the fuck out of London on the next morning service.

Last but not least, and my suggestion:

Bob Griddle:
Griddle was humiliated by Sommers in the Kirkbeck affair, however, the Anarchs are just as much under threat from the Sabbat as the Camarilla is. Griddle might be convinced by Tony to bury the hatchet (in the Archbishop's back). The only problem is, we have nothing to offer him and no power to give him and concessions. All we could do is appeal to him to face a common threat.

Anthony Sommers' current mood:

9780983.jpg

5435892_600x400.jpg

Gondolin

Arcane
Griddle and Turcov are out of the question. While this is the ideal time for the Camarilla to stick together, it will be every vampire for himself. Glory and princedom await the intrepid and Tony will make his own bid for them, with our help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom