Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima VII...on the Super Nintendo - COMPLETED!

Batlin said:
an Ultima 6 SNES LP...from what I've heard (and the little I've played), it's not nearly as bad of a port as Ultima 7, for various reasons. The dialog seems straight out of the PC version for the most part, and I think there's far less censoring on Nintendo's end. While I could do an LP of it, I don't think it'd be nearly as..."entertaining"...as the Ultima 7 one was.

Mostly because it seems like the NWN engine would be fucking awful for an Ultima game. But, I'd feel bad picking on a fan project...it's not quite the same as going after a full-blown "professional" POS like this game was.

There are two Ultimas Elzair didn't touch, Runes of Virtue I & II. There are Gameboy versions for both, and a SNES version for II.

gfs_96858_2_4.jpg
gfs_38774_1_1.jpg

Apparently, these are pretty fun zelda-ish games.

588816_40472_back.jpg

gfs_40472_2_2.jpg
gfs_4682_2_2.jpg

gfs_40472_2_3.jpg

Hmmm. No party, and I see familiar meters on the lower right. Sounds fun!

...but you know the best thing about it?

gfs_40472_2_4.jpg

Silellak

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
There are two Ultimas Elzair didn't touch, Runes of Virtue I & II. There are Gameboy versions for both, and a SNES version for II.
I have considered it, but I was mostly interested in the SNES Ultima 7 LP because I wanted to see how badly they treated one of my favorite games. The atrocity of a console port will never compare to an action RPG Ultima game designed from the ground-up to be on a console system - because it is, by its very definition, doomed to be atrocious.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Silellak said:
The atrocity of a console port will never compare to an action RPG Ultima game designed from the ground-up to be on a console system - because it is, by its very definition, doomed to be atrocious.
Ironically the Runes of Virtue games are actually not so bad. Sure they rape the lore in ways unimaginable (first one took place in a Britannia that looked absolutely not like Britannia) but it's easy to discard them as amusing Zelda-likes with only peripheral links to Ultima. The Ultima 7 SNES though, bring a port, makes it impossible not to compare to the PC version - and there lies madness.

Silellak

Cipher
Sceptic said:
Silellak said:
The atrocity of a console port will never compare to an action RPG Ultima game designed from the ground-up to be on a console system - because it is, by its very definition, doomed to be atrocious.
Ironically the Runes of Virtue games are actually not so bad. Sure they rape the lore in ways unimaginable (first one took place in a Britannia that looked absolutely not like Britannia) but it's easy to discard them as amusing Zelda-likes with only peripheral links to Ultima. The Ultima 7 SNES though, bring a port, makes it impossible not to compare to the PC version - and there lies madness.
Yeah, I've heard their not awful...they just have nothing to do with Ultima. I don't think the entertainment value of an LP would be nearly as high.

Still, I might fire them up some day just to see if I'm wrong. Part of me is just scared that I might find a console Ultima game that's actually worse than Ultima 7 on the SNES.

Tribun

Novice
Ok, first off that had been the purest horror I've ever seen. You must be a very brave man to face this alone and escape with your sanity intact. I knew that the port is bad, but woul've never dreamed it to be THIS bad.

However, your fear that there is something even worse has a reason:
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/NES-Port_of_Ultima_V

While this Ultima VII port was horrible but at least playable, this... you really have to check it out to see how BAD it is.

Addendum: It is very nice to see you using references from the Editable Codex. We did lots of work and feel good when our work is put to good use.

Silellak

Cipher
Tribun said:
Ok, first off that had been the purest horror I've ever seen. You must be a very brave man to face this alone and escape with your sanity intact. I knew that the port is bad, but woul've never dreamed it to be THIS bad.

However, your fear that there is something even worse has a reason:
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/NES-Port_of_Ultima_V

While this Ultima VII port was horrible but at least playable, this... you really have to check it out to see how BAD it is.
scream.jpg

Addendum: It is very nice to see you using references from the Editable Codex. We did lots of work and feel good when our work is put to good use.
Thanks to you and everyone else there for putting together such an awesome Ultima reference site! It made putting together this LP that much easier.

Elzair

Cipher
Silellak, since I am doing all the computer Ultima games, why don't you do the other console Ultima games? Come on! Try the SNES port of Runes of Virtue II!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom