Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima Underworld 2: World 6 Pits Of Carnage! 1/2

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unkillable Cat said:
That's another thing I never figured out:

What exactly is the Avatar supposed to kick? And how?
"Avatar kicks ass!" Somehow the garfitto is limited to two words.
And are you going for the tough critters at the bottom of the Pit of Carnage?
Yeah, spells like paralyze, mass confusion, time stop are overpowered. The enemy doesn't get a saving throw so there is nothing that can stop me, especially since I have rechargable wands that can cast some of those spells.

The only dangerous foe is the brain creature with its mind blast which does its intelligence (35) minus the Avatar's intelligence (mine is 27) points of damage. Not much of a threat as I'm a high intelligence mage, but a dumb fighter with low intelligence of 12 can get killed quickly. The brain creature can see much further than I and I can get attacked out of visual range plus mind blast does not have a projectile that I can trace to its location.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Brain creatures are only a slight pain in my book. But then again, there's only like two places where you encounter them. I rarely bother chasing them in the maze, I just run through the maze like a rat on crystal meth.

What I found to be the toughest monster was the Dire Reaper. It takes a lot to kill it and it packs a monstrous punch, but the worst part is that if you back away too far it starts chucking Lightning at you. I ended up saving a scroll of Time Stop to use just for that encounter.

Even the lich at the end of a long and narrow corridor who'd sometime spam-kill you with fire was not this problematic, because if you were lucky it would be floating off in a corner of the room, and react too late to your presence.

The only other monsters that were dangerous to fight were the Despoilers, the Dread Spiders (in large numbers) and Morphius, all because of their poison. Oh, and Dorstag of course, but I rarely bothered to fight him head-on.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I'm free to continue updating this now. Updates will still be slow as I am busy but I intend to finish this. Takes many hours for an update. I've forgotten my photobucket emails, I was using three accounts for this LP. I started this around June 2009 btw.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
pits.jpg

Part 9: World 6 - Pits Of Carnage 1/2.

Now with even more animated gifs.

uw2_000gem.jpg

Time to tackle the third last world.

This world doesn't have its unique music so instead:
Listen to Ultima VII "Fellowship Theme":
http://abmp3.com/download/3226937-fellowship-theme.html

uw2_001krilner.jpg

Near the entrance I meet a man.

uw2_002krilnertalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
What sayest thou?

krilner.jpg
I know I am the poorest here, nay, the poorest anywhere, unfit to appear in the Arenas. And yet, if you let me live, I swear I'll find some way to be useful for thee. Wilt thou take me as thy slave?

helicopter.jpg
Very well, if thou dost truly wish it.

krilner.jpg
Oh, truly thou art the most generous and benevolent master one could ever wish for! I will serve thee as best I can, as long as breath remains within me! Tell me, how may I serve thee first?

helicopter.jpg
Tell me thy name.

krilner.jpg
My name is "Krilner the Coward."

helicopter.jpg
Surely just "Krilner" wouldst suffice.

krilner.jpg
When I arrived here and had to fight in the Arenas, the first warrior I faced said it would amuse him to spare my life if I would swear an oath to always give my name thusly. I'd as soon not chance his wrath by doing otherwise... But surely my problems are beneath your concern. What else wouldst thou know of?

helicopter.jpg
Tell me of this world.

krilner.jpg
Truly, art thou from another world than this? But indeed, I am yours to command, and I shall tell whate'er thou dost ask. Ours is a world of violence, where a man's worth (or a woman's, for that matter) is judged solely upon prowess in combat.

helicopter.jpg
'Tis barbarism thou dost describe!

krilner.jpg
One must always be prepared to defend oneself here. 'Tis considered more proper to challenge a foe first, after which etiquette permits one to simply attack them on the spot if they refuse. But the only "law" is that which one man may enforce upon another on the point of his sword.

helicopter.jpg
How, then, might I avoid being attacked?

krilner.jpg
People here enjoy being the first to spot a newcomer to the Pits, especially one who seems weak. They'll kill thee for thy food and weapons as soon as look at thee, if they doubt thy prowess. After two or three victories in the Arenas, thy name will spread, and thou wilt be treated the same as any other.

helicopter.jpg
I shall undoubtedly be victorious!

krilner.jpg
Until then, walk always with thy weapon in hand. If thou doth seem prepared for battle, 'tis more likely they will challenge thee rather than attacking outright.

Good advice bro, too bad I'm unarmed and unarmored. But of course, I then I have wands.

helicopter.jpg
Tell me of this underground complex.

krilner.jpg
Thou know not of the Pits of Carnage? Mothers frighten their children with tales of this place... There is but little more law above than here below, that little being the whim of the Guardian. He has ever rules over land, for he is immortal, and his magic is too strong for any to defeat him in combat.

krilner.jpg
These Pits are the most notorious prison in the land, and the entrance is sealed by his own hand!

krilner.jpg
A savage lot, we have down here -- they've built four Arenas down here for ritual combat. Perhaps if thou dost do well in battle, thou canst earn a place of respect, and partake of what small luxuries are to be had down ehre... And I will stay by your side, as faithful advisor!

helicopter.jpg
You presume much, methinks.

krilner.jpg
I humbly beg your pardon, master! Please, let me aid thee more that I might earn thy forgiveness!

helicopter.jpg
How has thou survived so long in such a place?

krilner.jpg
In truth, master, it has not been easy. I was born a weakling in a world of warriors, with neither the skill nor the stomach for battle. I was fortunate that the first who fought me down here saw fit to spare my life. SInce then I have hidden in this small chamber, scavenging what small scraps of food I might.

helicopter.jpg
I seek a magical gem.

krilner.jpg
It must be the gem Dorstag carries thou dost speak of. He laid claim to it as soon as it was found, for he is the mightiest warrior here, and none dare deny him anything. You'd best give up hope of acquiring anything he covets.

helicopter.jpg
Tell me of this Dorstag.

krilner.jpg
None has ever defeated Dorstag in battle! His skill with the crossbow is legendary. He's beaten many in the Arenas, but only keeps the strongest warriors for his slaves. With all the bodyguards he keeps, you could never hope to attack him in his quarters. If you must fight him, challenge him in an Arena duel.

helicopter.jpg
I must go now. I will speak with thee more anon.

krilner.jpg
Farewell, master. Oh, and if any wouldst slay me, thou wilt seek to protect thy property, wilt thou not?

helicopter.jpg
Nay, thou must fend for thyself!

krilner.jpg
I beg thy pardon for my presumption. I will strive to serve thee more humbly.

uw2_003bones.jpg

Moving on, I find a pile of bones on my way out of Krilner's lair, this must be how he keeps other away from his abode, Clever.

professor.jpg
If we could make a dynamic AI that reacts to this kind of game devices...

uw2_004warrior.jpg

I then came on the lucky gal who first contact this latest "noob".

uw2_005warriortalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Thou dost look to be mighty indeed.

warriorw.jpg
That's more than I can say for you.

warriorw.jpg
You annoy me, and I've a notion to separate your head from your body. I challenge you fight me in the Arena!

helicopter.jpg
I accept thy challenge, thou oaf!

warriorw.jpg
Allright, then, where'll ya fight?

1. I choose the Arena of Earth,
2. I choose the Arena of Air.
3. I choose the Arena of Fire.
4. I choose the Arena of Water.

helicopter.jpg
I choose the Arena of Air.

uw2_006airarena.jpg

So we get instantly teleported to this Air Arena.

1bounce.gif

Those blue "repulsor circles" allow me to jump up onto the ledge.

uw2_007airarena2.jpg

helicopter.jpg
It's over warrior, I have the high ground.

The AI isn't smart enough to jump up.

2arena.gif

Fireball!

That was easy.

uw2_008airarena3.jpg

Exiting the Arena, I talk to another warrior.

helicopter.jpg
Canst thou answer some questions for me?

warriorm.jpg
Listen, stranger, people do better if they mind their own business down here, get it?

helicopter.jpg
What manner of place is this?

warriorm.jpg
Never heard of the Pits of Carnage, before they threw ya down here? Ha, that's a rich one! Best watch yer step down here, or you might lose your feet! And don't think o' goin' back the way ye came -- the Guardian's magic sealed the doors ye came through!

helicopter.jpg
What doors did I come through?

warriorm.jpg
Did ya hit yer 'ead fallin' in? The trap doors to th' north! It's a new life for ya now -- nobody breaks the Guardian's seal! Thou'rt never seein' daylight again, not in this world, mate!

This door must be the place to use Altara's Scepter.

uw2_009map.jpg

The four arenas are located in the center of the map. Each with geography following an element.

uw2_013eartharena.jpg

A view of the Earth Arena.

earth.gif
Earth!

uw2_015firearena.jpg

fire.gif
Fire!

uw2_013Zairarena.jpg

wind.gif
Wind!

uw2_014waterarena.jpg

water.gif
Water!

uw2_010halloflosers.jpg

heart-1.gif
Heart!

heart.jpg
?

georgeww1.jpg
Those kids show up everytime the elements are mentioned.

uw2_011hallorlosers2.jpg

heart.jpg
Oh my!

guardian.jpg
This world is mine. Do you like what you see?

uw2_012dorstagrules.jpg

Wall: Dorstag RULES
I want my own fan-graffito!

uw2_015zogith.jpg

Heading east of the Hall Of Losers, I come across some living quarters.

uw2_016zogithtalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Art thou a mage?

zogith.jpg
Indeed I am, but not much of one, I dear. I'd fare better in battle if I were as learned as Zaria.

helicopter.jpg
What spells knowest thou?

zogith.jpg
Few that serve in battle. I know Magic Arrow and Resist Blows, but few spells of the higher circles. I know how to cast a Fireball, but have not the Flam rune that is required for it!

helicopter.jpg
Mayhap thou might find one on the lower levels.

zogith.jpg
Nay, whatever treasures may rest below can stay where they are! Fierce monsters dwell there, and few would take care to explore their territory. Dorstag took a party down there once, but I doubt he'll ever try that again.

helicopter.jpg
How so?

zogith.jpg
Why, they were all killed except for him! I hear a giant troll in the deepest cavern did them in. But that's old news around here. 'Tis said a creature born of dark sorcery lurks down there now.

helicopter.jpg
What have you heard about it?

zogith.jpg
Well, don't say I told thee, but something has formed there, something born of the blood of thirteen bold warriors and wizards fallen into the muck, who then rose up into something that looked like a tree, but was not.

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou slain many with thy magic?

zogith.jpg
Alas, I am like Zoranthus -- I spent too much of my time studying lesser spells and those not useful in combat.

helicopter.jpg
Perhaps the Arena of Air would be safest for thee.

zogith.jpg
Of course! 'Twill be harder for my foes to reach me, giving me more chance to attack them with my small magicks. Thou art clever! Allow me to repay thy advice with a little of mine own.

zogith.jpg
I am not brave enough to steal from Dorstag, but I think you might be. Just before his chambers, on the northern wall, there is a secret door! Behind it lies the chamber where he hides his treasure...

helicopter.jpg
Who is Zoranthus?

zogith.jpg
They say Zoranthus was once the most promising mage of his generation -- he graduated from the Scintillus Academy at 16! But he dropped out, shut himself away to study his private projects. Some say he now lives down here, in the lower levels of the Pits, but who knows? None have the courage to venture below.

This fellow will also teach me how to cast the spell Valor if I give him a rune of Flam.

uw2_017iceroom.jpg

Another room with some interesting special effects.

uw2_018iceroom2.jpg

Cool story bro. Too bad you killed yourself with it.

uw2_019jospur.jpg

The last room of interest.

uw2_020jospurtalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
What sort of wagering do you do?

jospur.jpg
Well, here's how I work it. A bold warrior, such as yourself, gives me five gold coins. Then I arrange a fight in the Arena against two opponents or more. Anyone tough enough to come back to me alive, I pay off their act.

helicopter.jpg
That's barbaric!

jospur.jpg
Is that an insult or a compliment? Anyway, life is rough, and there ain't enough food to go around. So with me a fellow down on his luck at least has a chance.

helicopter.jpg
How much do you pay then?

jospur.jpg
You beat two foes, I pay you 8 gold. Three foes is worth 12, four's worth 20, and if anyone ever beat five men, I'd pay 'em 40 or 50, I guess. Nobody's ever lasted long at those odds, though.

helicopter.jpg
Your payoffs are terrible!

jospur.jpg
A fellows got to keep body and soul together somehow. And you know, a lot of those that come to me haven't got much choice...

uw2_021map.jpg

Heading south I come upon the barracks, where most of the prisoners live.

uw2_022warriortalk.jpg

I quickly got into another fight.

uw2_023warriorparalyze.jpg

I may look unarmed and unarmoured, but see those wands in my bag? one of them is a wand of Paralyzation.

uw2_024peasant.jpg

There are even unarmed prisoners in here.

uw2_025peasanttalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Hail, warrior.

warriorm2.jpg
Pfah.

helicopter.jpg
Thy manners could stand some improvement.

warriorm2.jpg
And who's going to teach me? Thou?

helicopter.jpg
Aye, indeed, I think I will!

warriorm2.jpg
Art thou challenging me to a duel?

helicopter.jpg
Nay, 'tis not what I meant.

warriorm2.jpg
Well then, coward, I challenge thee instead!

helicopter.jpg
I decline thy challenge.

warriorm2.jpg
Then methinks I'll just strike thee dead right here and save some time!

3brawl.gif

This world is only big enough for one martial artist.

uw2_026golbin.jpg

They even have goblins down here.

helicopter.jpg
Good day to thee.

goblin.jpg
Could be day or night, for all we can tell -- and there's precious little good about it! You annoy me, and I've a notion to separate your head from your body. I challenge you to fight me in the Arena!

Meh, I just slay him there and then instead.

uw2_027waterwarrior.jpg

I keep getting into fights, here is one in the Arena of Water.

4waterarena.gif

Whee!

uw2_028map.jpg

Leaving the barracks, I head to the southwest of the map.

uw2_029rune.jpg

A fireball trap in front of a door?

uw2_029zaria.jpg

Evading the trap I meet up with the female mage, Zaria.

uw2_030zariatalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Dost thou fight in the Arenas, milady?

zaria.jpg
Thou wouldst imply I'd not do battle because I am a woman? Truly, thou art almost as base as the rest down here. I say almost, for at least thou art bold enough to insult me to my face, where none other dost dare!

helicopter.jpg
I humbly apologize for offending thee.

zaria.jpg
For a moment I thought thee bold, to come insult me within mine own chambers. but I see thou art naught but a coward. Leave my sight, for thou art not worthy of my attention.

She is annoying to talk to. but does teach me a couple of spells.

uw2_031map.jpg

I leave her and journey northwest.

uw2_032dorstag.jpg

The northwest corner contains a set of rooms.

uw2_033dorstag.jpg

Dorstag, the topdog and his followers inhabit this suit.

uw2_034dorstagtalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I have heard of thy prowess in battle.

dorstag.jpg
Aye, but who hasn't? It's only because I'm so good with me crossbow, Patatrac, that my sword doesn't drown in blood. I've never lost a fight, ye know. Never.

helicopter.jpg
How dost thou come to be down here, then?

dorstag.jpg
If the Duke hadn't sent his men to jump me when I was asleep, an' if there hadn't been ten of them, I'd be up above still. But it don't matter what any of us was before. What's down here is all we'll ever have -- 'cept for the folks like you what get tossed down here every now and then.

helicopter.jpg
I was not thrown down here as thou wert.

dorstag.jpg
Ha ha! You must have been a jester, up above! There ain't no way out o' here once ya fall through them doors, not with the Guardian's seal on'em! Come tell me more jokes sometimes, and maybe I'll give you a little food.

helicopter.jpg
Dost thou have a magical gem?

dorstag.jpg
You mean me lucky gem? The bloke that found it wouldn't give it to me when I told him, so I had to cleave his skull open for it. What's it to you?

helicopter.jpg
Can thou tell me of the lower levels?

dorstag.jpg
Aye, that's where I toss people that bother me with too many questions! Ha ha ha ha!

I can attack him here and now to get the blackrock gem but let's find an alternative solution.

uw2_035power.jpg

East of his chamber is the entrance to the Pits, I strike the ground here with Altara's Staff.

This level is fully explored, there are a set of stairs leading down to the next level but I decide to enter into arena fights hosted by Jospur.

helicopter.jpg
I think I'll try my luck.

jospur.jpg
Ah, good, you're a sporting type! How many do you feel bold enough to face, then?

helicopter.jpg
Send out five, and I'll slay them all!

jospur.jpg
Ah, I understand. Well, it is truly the most glorious death a woman could ask for.

Since the odds are against me, I get to choose which Arena to battle in.

helicopter.jpg
I choose the Arena of Earth.

uw2_036Zflam.jpg

Which I prepared in advance with many Runes of Flame.

5arenarunes.gif

Did I win?

uw2_037jospurwin.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I believe the payoff is 50.

jospur.jpg
Oh, of course. I was just joking about the 40. Wouldn't want you to get upset, now... For that much money, I could offer you some meat instead. Food's worth its weight in gold down here, you know.

No, want gold! Hoarding virtual gold is what larpers do best!

uw2_038respect.jpg

My arena feats means less dissing.

uw2_039tym.jpg

Another fight, this time with Runes of Stasis.

6stasis.gif

jospur.jpg
You've done it again! Amazing...

His demeanour starts to change as I keep winning.

jospur.jpg
Oh, 'tis THEE again. I am honor-bound to take thy money, but Guardian knows, thou shalt be my financial ruin! Come, what wouldst thou with me today?

7arena.gif

Sometimes I get to fight mages, who can hurt their own team. Unlike Doom, they don't turn on each other when there is friendly fire.

jospur.jpg
You again! I refuse to do business with thee! 'Tis simply a waste of my money.

helicopter.jpg
Thinkst thou so? Then I shall simply spread the word thou art a liar and a cheat!

jospur.jpg
Okay, okay, let us do business, then! But 'tis naught but throwing my money away!

helicopter.jpg
Send out five, and I'll slay them all!

jospur.jpg
'Tis no easy task to find five warriors foolish enough to fight thee, Helicopter, but I shall try. Guardian knows, there's fools enough in the Pits o'Carnage!

8shockwave.gif

Me casting the spell Shockwave.
One think I noticed is that the males are much tougher than the females.
The arena battles are tough to my unarmoured body, Mass Confusion helps a lot.

uw2_040killer.jpg

uw2_040Zkicks.jpg

Sure I do.

georgeww1.jpg
An unlimited amount of XP and gold to be farmed!
professor.jpg
Surely it will be better to limit the number of arena fights? Also, next thing you know, there will be a game influenced by the Underworlds called "Arena".

uw2_041fear.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou any news to tell?

warriorm.jpg
Thou art the biggest news we've had in a long time. Watching thee fight, well... It all but brings tears to one's eyes.

helicopter.jpg
Wouldst care to do battle in the Arena?

warriorm.jpg
Nay, I fear thou art too great a warrior for the likes of me to face. I beg your pardon for declining.

professor.jpg
An adoring fan?

uw2_042krilnertalk.jpg

Chatting with Krilner gives a hint to kill Dorstag and get the blackrock gem.
I return to Lord British's Castle for some chit-chat.

uw2_043dupretalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Have the Yeti proved troublesome in thy efforts?

dupre.jpg
There are no signs that Yeti were anywhere near the place where I kept the equipment...

dupre.jpg
I fear that the mysterious castle thief has been venturing into the other planes.

Geoffrey:

geoffrey.jpg
Avatar! I was just thinking of thee.

helicopter.jpg
How hast thou been, Geoffrey?

geoffrey.jpg
I have heard that thou hast passed an examination on an alien world. Is this true?

helicopter.jpg
Aye, and 'twas a difficult test!

geoffrey.jpg
Methinks that there is a parallel here... in my philosophy, smaller events are often symbols of larger ones. Perhaps, as thou hast passed this test, so thou art passing a greater test of courage whereby thou wilt defeat the Guardian!

helicopter.jpg
That is a stretch, my friend.

geoffrey.jpg
Perhaps 'tis true. I do have a tendency to apply my philosophies to everything.

uw2_044garg.jpg

I then get more training in unarmed combat from Garg.
While in the Prison Tower, I enchanted and dressed myself in leather armour of toughness. My arena fights taught me how weak I am without armour, and with the enchantments, this leather armour is stronger that plate.

uw2_043map.jpg

Back in the Pits, I descend the stairs in the northeast.

uw2_045cave.jpg

Emerging in a giant cavern.

uw2_046bats.jpg

BATS! BATS! BATS!

uw2_047map.jpg

Time to start mapping!

uw2_048daylighwand.jpg

In one of the side tunnels, I loot a wand of daylight, now I don't have to rely on those spheres of light.

uw2_049doric.jpg

Another side tunnel has a tombstone.
Do you know what reference this is?

uw2_050map.jpg

The exit tunnel is to the north, alternative path is to levitate or fly myself up to the bridge.

uw2_051tunnel.jpg

This tunnel looks different.

9flamewind.gif

It leads to a lair of headless and I show off my new flamewind spell.

uw2_052golemsecret.jpg

Following the path, I come across a secret door.

uw2_053golem.jpg

With a earth golem too big to fit through the door.

10golem.gif

The wand of fireball gets some use. The golem was guarding a jeweled shield.

uw2_054gazers.jpg

Next I meet a couple of gazers.

11gazer.gif

The speed spell slows down everything but me, allowing me to dodge their lightning balls while I fry their stalks with fireballs.

uw2_055spiders.jpg

Next are some weak spiders.

12floor.gif

Ending with a moving floor trap. I proceed to drop into it.

uw2_056rattrap.jpg

And landing in the midst of some hungry rats.

uw2_057secretdoor.jpg

Searching the cell I discover a secret door.

uw2_058entrance.jpg

Which leads to a teleport that brings me back to the start, grrr.

uw2_059bridge.jpg

I pass the moving floor trap and return back to the top of the bridge.

helicopter.jpg
I'm in your cave, crossing your bridge.

uw2_060floor.jpg

Some interesting architecture.

uw2_061read.jpg

Plaque: You'd do best to go back the way you came...

uw2_062stop.jpg

And here ends part 1 of the Pits of Carnage!

Current stats:
Level 15 maxed
Mage skills maxed.
Offensive spells:
Level 1 - Magic Arrow
Level 2 - Cause Fear, Deadly Seeker, Rune of Flame
Level 3 - Bleeding, Lightning, Repel Undead
Level 4 - Frost, Poison Weapon
Level 5 - Fireball, Rune of Stasis, Smite Undead
Level 6 - Charm, Paralyse, Sheet Lightning
Level 7 - Magic Satellite, Mass Confusion, Shockwave
Level 8 - Flame Wind, Smite Foe

Maximum level reached and all spells unlocked. I still can gain skill points from XP despite hitting the level limit.

professor.jpg
Should we remove level limits in games?

georgeww1.jpg
The power is yours!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mighty Mouse said:
Maximum level reached and all spells unlocked. I still can gain skill points from XP despite hitting the level limit.
You'll still gain skill points even though you're at the max level. Accumulating XP is therefore still useful.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Sceptic said:
Mighty Mouse said:
You'll still gain skill points even though you're at the max level. Accumulating XP is therefore still useful.
That's what I said!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:rage: total reading comprehension fail.

Wonderful LP. Carry on good sir.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom