Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima Underworld 2: World 6 Pits Of Carnage! 1/2

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1: Introduction to game mechanics, Lord British's Castle and Sewers 1/2.
2: Sewers 2/2.
3: World 1 - Prison Tower.
4: World 2 - Killorn Keep.
4.5: Post Killorn Keep.
5: World 3 - Ice Cavern.
6: Blood Stained Stones
7: World 4 - Talorus.
7.5: Post Talorus.
8: World 5 - Scintillus Academy of Magic.
8.5: Scintillus Academy Secure Vault.
9: World 6 - Pits Of Carnage 1/2.

box.jpg
title1.jpg

uw2_1intro.jpg

Developer: Looking Glass Technologies

"To commemorate the defeat of the Guardian's forces (Ultima 7:The Black Gate) one year ago, you (the Avatar) and the leaders of Britannia are invited to Lord British's castle for an evening of celebration. Suddenly the Guardian strikes again, encasing the building in a gigantic blackrock gem. He offers the imprisoned heroes a simple choice: proclaim him ruler of all Britannia, or starve while his minions conquer the land."

I'm playing with modded brighter lighting, the game is dark and I don't want to cause you guys eyestrain. Running on Dosbox.
This will not be a lulzy fanfiction LP, actual dialogues from the game will be in cyan.

----------------------------------------
From the manual:
Designers' Notes: "In designing the Underworld system, one of the things we attempted to do was to merge traditional fantasy RPG elements, such as quests and combats and explorations, with a sophisticated three-dimensional simulation of a sensible and believable world.

We feel that one of Underworld's strongest features is its capacity to generate situations and strategies that we did not script, but that arose from scenarioes we created. For example: Suppose there's a Despoiler daemon guarding the key to that door. Maybe I should come back when I can take him hand-to-hand ... or bring up my picklock skill ... or throw this sling stone at him, see if he'll chase me ... or maybe I can sneak past him - how good is a Despoiler's eyesight? And can he swim ...?

We also decided to make Underworld II a non-linear gaming enviroment. This means that nearly all adventuring locales will contain areas that will be too difficult for you the first time you arrive there. In order to win the game, you will need to visit and revisit dungeons, exploring new areas each time. So if your foe seems to be getting the better of you time and time again, it would be wise to explore elsewhere for a while, until your character is more powerful.

Here are some of the features of Underworld II we hope you will enjoy:

Depth of Simulation. When the 3-D world gets sufficiently complex, a player's choice of actions grows exponentially. We've created the world, and tried to set things up so that you can do what you like it it. (But you're not the only one in the world - non-player characters have plenty of options too.)

Realism. Rivers, ice, torches burning out, armour and weapons whose performance depends on quality, food levels, different lighting levels, and other elements are designed to maximise the realism and detail. When you pick up an item, all creatures who care about that item are checked to see if they notice; when you make noise, creatures will turn to face the noise source, and if you are still there when they finish turning they will see you, and decide whether or not the want to attack ...

Multiple Solutions. Well, we know there are at least a couple of ways of getting through each area/puzzle in the game. However, we don't know how many ways you'll discover."

lordbritish.jpg

1) Introduction to game mechanics, Lord British's Castle and Sewers 1.

You can watch the intro cinematic on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of7mKziADTM

uw2_2intro.jpg

uw2_3intro.jpg

uw2_4intro.jpg

uw2_5intro.jpg

uw2_6intro.jpg

uw2_7Acreate.jpg

Time to roll my Avatar.

Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 "Theme":
http://www.imeem.com/people/dN7Ej9/music/On8bxFbi/origin-ultima-underworld-2-song-1/

uw2_7Bcreate.jpg

Hmm which class to take? It will determine my attributes and skills.

The Avatar has 3 attributes:
  • Strength
  • Dexterity
  • Intelligence
7 Combat skills:
  • Attack
  • Defense
  • Axe (yeah separate from mace)
  • Barehand (increases damage)
  • Mace
  • Missile (increases damage)
  • Sword
2 Magic skills:
  • Casting
  • Mana
11 Misc skills:
  • Acrobat (jump higher, land safely)
  • Appraise (more accurate valuation in bartering, useless)
  • Charisma (helps in bartering)
  • Lore (identify items)
  • Picklock
  • Repair
  • Search
  • Stealth (reduces noise)
  • Swimming (you can drown if you swim for too long)
  • Track (detects monsters, gives more info)
  • Traps (disarm)
You earn free-skill points from XP and level ups and spend them at trainers. 1 free-skill point may learn more than 1 skill point. Skills growth rates are based on their related attributes.
Attributes range from 12-30. There are different minimun scores for different classes.
Skills are 0-30.

To-hit rating = 0.5*attack skill+weapon skill
Defense rating = defense skill+0.5*weapon skill
Dice range for to-hit rolls is 0-30.

Armour reduces damage.

uw2_8create.jpg

I'm play a mage which starts with the skills attack, defense, mana, casting and choose additional casting or mana. I've only played melee with magic support characters in the past, I don't know how viable are pure mages in combat.
Vitality is hitpoints.

uw2_9create.jpg

This only affects combat difficulty.

uw2_10create.jpg

Tribute to helicopter-hair girl. Do a net search.

uw2_12start.jpg

I start in my room in the Castle Of Lord British.

uw2_14start.jpg

Same shot with low detail which was what I used to play with. Can you spot the secret door in the first picture? For some secret doors, it looks just like normal walls until you search it, then the textures will change.

uw2_13start.jpg

Switch the inventory screen to the character sheet. I have 1 free skill point.

uw2_14Amap.jpg

I picked up the map in my room and read it. The castle is already mapped out. You can add your own notes to the map.

uw2_15start.jpg

You can pick up notes and read them. But before proceeding to the throne room, let's take a look at whats behind the secret door.

uw2_16start.jpg

My adventuring equipment. I also get a runebag and some runestones which are needed for spellcasting. Lots of items lying around, this game allows you to combine items, eg. eat a honey comb and you get wax, combine thread+wax = candle.

uw2_17start.jpg

There's a door to the right, flipping the switch on the wall opens it.

uw2_18rat.jpg

A cute rat! It is only upset and will not attack so it is possible to avoid combat but I'm going to demostrate how to fight.

uw2_19rat.jpg

I opened the runebag, it has 6 runes in it, I start with more as I'm a mage. As in previous Ultimas, there are 24 runes, corresponding to the A-Z alphabets omitting X and Z. Each rune represents an word. I choose 2 runes: ORT & JUX which means MAGIC & HARM giving me the spell magic arrow. Most of the spells are listed in the manual. I guess it is a form of copy protection. Though Ultima players can figure out the spells through the runes.

To cast a spell you need to be of high enough level, adquate casting skill, enough mana and the correct runes. The only attack spell I can cast now is the level one magic arrow.

uw2_20rat.jpg

My magic arrow hits the rat, which leaps at me, not so cute now is it? At close range I cannot release my magic arrow and is forced to walk backwards to have enough room to cast. Of course the rat will try to close the distance. Good thing about this game is that the hostiles don't just rush at blindly at you; they eye you warily, brandish their weapons, back off and run away when badly wounded. The yellow gargoyle eyes at the top means the rat is moderately wounded.

uw2_20arat.jpg

*Pic taken without lighting mod*

I'm now preparing to strike with my dagger. The further you pull back, the greater the damage. The green gem in the center means I'll be unleashing my stab at full strength. You can thrust, swing or overhead bash, a dagger is better at thrusting while a mace will be better used with a bash. This also affects the hit area, you have to look up to stab a flying bat for example. You can choose between quick+low damage or slow+hard hitting attacks, since armour reduces damage, high damage is usually prefered over speed. Certain magical weapon properties may make it preferable to strike quickly.

uw2_21throne.jpg

Now lets go to the throne room (no throne though). Looks like a LARPer convention. I can see some familiar faces.

british.jpg
nystul.jpg
nelson.jpg
miranda.jpg
tory.jpg
feridwyn.jpg
mj.jpg

iolo.jpg
dupre.jpg
julia.jpg
geoffrey.jpg
syria.jpg
nanna.jpg
nell.jpg
charles.jpg

Hmm 2 blackwomen (including me) in the castle and not a single blackman?

uw2_22throne.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Not just yet. I have something I must attend to, first.

british.jpg
Please, Avatar, these are matters of utmost importance!

british.jpg
I need not tell you, citizens of Britannia, that we are near our darkest hour. The gem that surrounds our castle is made of blackrock, a substance impervious to all physical force, which stifles magical workings within its boundaries. The Guardian has this day struck Britannia a fearsome blow, and we may be sure that he will not rest idle. Doubtless, even now he is preparing an assault on the entire nation of Britannia!

miranda.jpg
Lord British! Cannot Lord Draxinusom of the Gargoyles rally our people against the invader?

british.jpg
He will do what he can, certainly, but I know not whether the humans of Britannia shall follow a gargoyle leader.

*Patterson arrives in a hurry, gasping for breath.*

patterson.jpg
Well, w-what can we do, then?

british.jpg
Somehow, we must find a way to breach the gem. Now, to work! Servants, take an inventory of the castle storerooms! Nystul, Nelson, we shall have need of thy far-famed scholarly powers -- you must determine how the jewel was created, and how it may be destroyed. You others, warriors, and especially you, Avatar, eight times our savior, you must search the castle, above and below, for some means of escape.

*He breaks off, sensing an otherworldy intruder.*

uw2_23muppet.jpg

uw2_24muppet.jpg

uw2_25muppet.jpg

uw2_26muppet.jpg

After this most of the castle occupants dispersed. At the start of the game it's mostly talkytalky, so let's go start with Lord British.

uw2_27brit.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Tell me, then what hath occupied thine attention lately?

british.jpg
Well, Avatar, I am sorry now I did invite thee to this doomed affair. The Guardian's threats are indeed dire!

helicopter.jpg
I would not have my friends face danger alone!

*He laughs.*

british.jpg
Thou'rt right! I was a fool to think I could keep thee out of danger, for thou'rt e'er plunging thyself in the thick of it! Listen, thou shouldst speak with Dupre! He mentioned he had seen something which might relate to our current plight! If there is nothing more, Helicopter, I must go now.

helicopter.jpg
Wait, Lord British, there is more we must speak of.

british.jpg
What wouldst thou like to talk about, then?

helicopter.jpg
I have need of thy healing powers.

british.jpg
Of course, Avatar.

*He performs a gesture of healing, but nothing happens.*
*He repeats the gesture.*

british.jpg
I am sorry, Avatar, but it appears that black jewel has nullifed my powers of healing. Thou wilt have to heal thyself naturally.

Iolo the bard is still hanging around the throne room. A former companion and owner of one annoying talking horse.

u6smith.gif
That's me!

uw2_28iolo.jpg

helicopter.jpg
What news, Iolo?

iolo.jpg
There is little to say, my friend. 'Tis a fine mess we are in this time, is it not?

helicopter.jpg
Thou art right, Iolo, I see little hope for us.

*Iolo lowers his voice.*

iolo.jpg
Thou shouldst not be so gloomy Helicopter. 'Tis true the situation is grim, but remember! The others look to thee to keep their spirits up.

*He raises his voice again, so that others can hear him.*

iolo.jpg
'Tis true, my friend! We may be thankful for this prison, inasmuch as we are safe on the inside, while the rest are trapped outside with Chuckles the Jester!

*He drops his voice to a whisper again.*

iolo.jpg
But really, Avatar, the situation is darker than most here suspect.

helicopter.jpg
(Valor) Don't tell me! I don't want to hear it!

iolo.jpg
Courage, Avatar! Dupre and I took a look down in the sewers when the gem first came up -- 'tis crawling with monstrous vermin! The sewers were never safe, but now they are horrific! I believe he has the key, shouldst thou care to take a look for thyself.

Let's look for Sir Dupre then.

uw2_29dupre.jpg

Sir Dupre's room as you can easily tell...
Looks like he isn't home.

uw2_30dupre.jpg

Most items in the castle can be picked up, but some belongings are tagged with ownership, if Dupre sees me taking this sword, it will lower his attitude towards me. Hmm since he isn't around, let's do something Avatar-like and nick his sword and shield.

uw2_31Ajulia.jpg

Let's visit the other guests in the guestrooms.

uw2_31julia.jpg

My old tinker friend Julia.

helicopter.jpg
What is on thy mind, Julia?

julia.jpg
Between me and thee, I am glad thou art here, Helicopter. We've worked together, fought side by side -- I know I can count on thee!

helicopter.jpg
'Tis good to work with thee again, too, Julia.

julia.jpg
We must be careful of the others. Feridwyn, for instance, and Syria -- who are they? They happened to come to the festival, but how can we know they are reliable?

helicopter.jpg
Of course they are reliable! Are you suggesting one of them might side with the Guardian?

julia.jpg
I know they are our friends, but who can tell what people will do when threatened with death?

Foreshadowing? Dun dun dun.

uw2_32tory.jpg

Lady Tory from Serpent's Hold.

helicopter.jpg
I would know thy thoughts, Lady Tory.

tory.jpg
Trapped in here as we are, I sense rising fear and anxiety in nearly everyone.

helicopter.jpg
We must not give into fear. 'Tis the Guardian's chief weapon!

tory.jpg
But I also sense that they have great confidence in thee.

*She pauses.*

tory.jpg
As do I, Avatar.

Yes but are you confident that this LP won't get totally abandoned?

uw2_33nelson.jpg

Nelson, the most accomplished scholar in Britannia.

helicopter.jpg
What is it, Nelson?

nelson.jpg
We are in quite a fix, aren't we? But then, I suppose that is a specialty of thine!

helicopter.jpg
Thou art right -- I shall get us out of this!

nelson.jpg
Well, I have been thinking -- all of the Guardian's blackrock structures have had smaller copies of themselves inside -- it would be worthwhile searching for something similar within the castle.

helicopter.jpg
But where would such a thing be?

nelson.jpg
'Tis hard to say. It may have been hidden, or it may contain its own defences, in some interior space. 'Tis probably not in the castle proper, though, but rather nearer the base of the sphere, in the sewers.

The sewers, how cliche, I'm sure it will be dark and gritty as well.

uw2_34patterson.jpg

Patterson, the mayor of the town of Britain.

helicopter.jpg
How are things, Patterson?

patterson.jpg
I am glad to have a chance to speak with thee. I just wanted to say, I have always been a great admirer of thine, and 'tis good to be working with thee. If there is anything I can do to help out...

helicopter.jpg
Just stay out of my way, Patterson.

patterson.jpg
Er...

patterson.jpg
Thank thee, Avatar! I shall do as thou sayest.

Looks like the Avatar has her own adoring fan.

uw2_35feridwyn.jpg

Feridwyn, a philanthropist.

helicopter.jpg
What is on thy mind, Feridwn?

feridwyn.jpg
Well, Helicopter, once again thy visit has coincided with calamity. I cannot say I am surprised.

helicopter.jpg
If thou wilt not be civil, do not speak to me.

feridwyn.jpg
Civility, like respect, should be earned, Avatar.

t('-'t)

uw2_36dupre.jpg

Sir Dupre finally found his out of Ten-Forward and returns to his room.

helicopter.jpg
Is our situation not difficult enough?

dupre.jpg
Thou dost not know the worst. Iolo and I walked down into the sewers, and a bit below -- a plague of monsters has erupted! I do not know where they are coming from, but the matter bears investigation!

helicopter.jpg
(Valor) Truly, I am loath to descend into the sewers.

dupre.jpg
Avatar, shame on thee! The men and women of the castle are depending on thee! Take thou this key to the sewers, if thou shouldst recover the courage I admire thee for!

Yeah I may be lacking in balls, but I do have a fist.

helicopter.jpg
Look Dupre! Naked blue alien chick!

uw2_37brawl.jpg

Sucker punch!

uw2_38Abrawl.jpg

Sir Dupre responds with X-TREME force.

uw2_38brawl.jpg

The stalwart Avatar hides in Iolo's room while Dupre shoots his crossbow. Notice that Dupre is out of sight, firing unlimited ammunition that is piling up on the floor. This is a good way to get ammo for those keen on missile combat. I better put a stop to this before he destroys Iolo's bed, yes furniture can be destroyed.
I step into view, got shot and woke up in jail.

uw2_39brawl.jpg

*Achievement unlocked: get incarcerated*

Lord British is pacing outside my cell.

uw2_40brawl.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I do not wish to speak to thee.

british.jpg
As the situation stands, thou hast not a choice.

british.jpg
Avatar, I and thou know that the burden of protecting a nation is a great one. However, the next time thou dost find the pressure too much to bear, I suggest that thou find some occupation besides brawling with thy friends!

helicopter.jpg
Nay, I shall spend my time how I like.

british.jpg
Try to be more civil in the future, though -- this is all we ask.

Sure thing Richy! Out of jail just like that. Being the Avatar has its privileges.
Next we visit the kitchen, grab some grub and meet one of the servants, Charles:

charles.jpg

Who says nothing worth copying, unless you are interested in some Britannia lore, which I've been ignoring in this LP.

uw2_42store.jpg

The castle stores, see all that a day-old piece of food? Will they still be a day old after a week?

uw2_43armoury.jpg

The armoury is near the storeroom but it is locked. I can't pick it open, need to find the key.

uw2_44nell.jpg

Once back in the kitchen, we meet Nell, another servant.

helicopter.jpg
Canst thou think of anything which might tell us more about our situation?

nell.jpg
'Twas the night before this hideous gem formed around us. At four o'clock in the morning I was awakened by a voice in the throne room, I was too scared to investigate, but it sounded like someone chanting in a very low voice. I was going to tell thee, but then the gem appeared, and that awful Guardian spoke to us, and I forgot all about it until now.

Four am eh? *Writes it down*

uw2_45nanna.jpg

The head servant Nanna.

helicopter.jpg
What hast occupied thee of late, Nanna?

nanna.jpg
Lord British's behavior is becoming more and more offensive! "Servants, take an inventory"! No "please," no "thank you," no mention of "far-famed organizational powers!" I wonder what he thinks he would do without us!

helicopter.jpg
Look, Nanna, in this time of crisis we must all pull together.

nannarage.jpg
Pull together? I spend all day searching the storerooms, shooing away rats, while he sits on his throne looking noble, staring into the middle distance! I suppose that's what you call pulling together!

I AM VERY ANGRY ABOUT LORD BRITISH!

uw2_46nystul.jpg

The court magician Nystul in his quarters.

helicopter.jpg
What wouldst thou say to me?

nystul.jpg
'Tis a staggeringly huge spell -- I had not thought even the Guardian could create such an enormous amount of blackrock -- but 'tis also a very crude casting, no subtlety about it. If I had the book it was cast from, I'd swear I could reverse it!

helicopter.jpg
What dost thou mean, a crude spell?

nystul.jpg
'Tis as if the caster had so much power he thought there was no need to work skillfully. As it is, the ether has been violently disrupted, and I should not be surprised if there were aftershocks and side effects in our own and other realities.

helicopter.jpg
What kind of "aftershocks?"

nystul.jpg
'Tis hard to predict -- possibly some sort of "echo" effect, wherein the spell effect might replicate itself on a smaller scale, like an echo repeating and dying away. Tis common in his castings. I shouldn't wonder if we see some smaller replica of the gem just as we saw in his assault a year ago.

helicopter.jpg
And you think this effect might extend to worlds beyond our own?

nystul.jpg
The same ether surrounds and permeates all the realities. An etherstorm this size might have far-reaching effects. Such things are hard to estimate.

helicopter.jpg
Just what is blackrock, anyway?

nystul.jpg
I know not, save that it blocks the flow of the ether, and thus we can cast only the simplest spells within castle.

Level 1 to 4 spells to be exact. Under the castle as well.

uw2_47library.jpg

Nystul keeps a library including some books from our Earth. I always wanted to read Lovecraft in a game. Those two crytal balls let you view the Great Hall and Throne Room.

uw2_48library.jpg

The Princess Bride, I approve. The chest on the right is locked, I wonder what books the dirty wizard keeps in there? I'll get it open eventually. The nearby closet in the library is actually a teleporter to Nystul's laboratory.

uw2_50lab.jpg

Found some potions and runes. I also notice a secret button hidden behind 2 boxes, which opens a secret door.

uw2_51lab.jpg

Expecting to find some charmed beauties, but turns out Nystul has a fetish for slugs and rats. I quickly slaughter them for XP. Sorry about the cursor.

uw2_52syria.jpg

I meet a couple of fighters near the jail.
First is Syria, Headmaster of the Library of Scars.

helicopter.jpg
What is on thy mind, Syria?

syria.jpg
It seems I shall have a chance to see the famous Avatar in action. I shall be curious to know whether there is any truth to the tales of thy boldness and cunning.

helicopter.jpg
(Humility) I have indeed endured many perils! Mine has been a full life.

syria.jpg
Excellent! I shall expect a dazzling performance, Avatar.

Next is Geoffrey.

uw2_53geoffrey.jpg

helicopter.jpg
How hast thou been, Geoffrey?

geoffrey.jpg
In a way, 'tis a relief to be in action again. To confront danger in the realm's defense, 'tis a strange sort of exhilaration, and I have not felt it for a long time.

uw2_54greathall.jpg

Last person to talk to can be found in the Great Hall, which looks better ingame, really I swear.

uw2_54miranda.jpg

Miranda, a councilor of Britannia.

helicopter.jpg
What is the situation in the castle?

miranda.jpg
Well, I'm setting up our "War Room" in the Great Hall, where I'll keep track of all the events related to our battle against the Guardian. Make sure to come to me often to get the lastest news, and inform me of thy progress.

helicopter.jpg
I shall.

uw2_55court.jpg

One last look at the Courtyard.
Time to prepare for the sewers, I stuffed my face with food, pack some day-old piece of meats and took an extra handaxe as a backup weapon. I decided to eschew missile weapons since I'm a mage. I travel light as I expect I'll need the space for the loot I'll find.
Light the torch! It's dungeon crawling time!

uw2_56bat.jpg

Immediately upon setting foot in the sewers I got attacked by a bat.

uw2_57rotworm.jpg

A rotworm.
These vermin are easily dispatched with my shortsword despite my zero weapon skill. I am somewhat saddened that they don't drop gold when they die. :(

uw2_58fissif.jpg

I spot a human in a room nearby. The plants can picked up and eaten if you are hungry.

fissif-1.jpg

uw2_59fissif.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Who art thou? An intruder in Castle British?

fissif.jpg
I hates ta tell a stranger the plain truth, but me situation's a bit desperate. My name's Fissif, an' I came up here about 2 days ago through the tunnel from Buccaneer's Den, to see what could be... acquired under cover of the festivities.

helicopter.jpg
What happened then?

fissif.jpg
T'was about 4:15 in the morning, and I was just making me way down through the basement to the tunnel, when the bloody ground started shaking, knocked me off my feet! When I got up and went downstairs, this black stuff was blocking the cave mouth!

helicopter.jpg
Wait. How didst thou know what time it was?

fissif.jpg
I found the Avatar's pocketwatch in a bunch o'junk in a closet. I 'ad me the key t'the armory, too, but I lost it in a scuffle with th'green giant! By the way, what did thou sayest thy name was?

If you choose another conversation path he mentions that the key to the armoury is lost near a Reaper (a brown tree monster actually, like a treant).

helicopter.jpg
Actually, I am Helicopter, the Avatar, incarnation of the eight virtues, and eight times the saviour of Britannia.

fissif.jpg
Oh.

*Pause*

fissif.jpg
Then I s'pose thou wilt be wanting thy pocketwatch back again.

helicopter.jpg
Yes, that would be nice.

fissif.jpg
Perhaps I should be getting along, then.

*He begins edging toward the nearest exit.*

helicopter.jpg
First, canst thou tell me more about the sewers?

fissif.jpg
'Ere f'r a bit o' sightseein', are ye? Well, Fissif'l 'elp yew out a bit! Stay away from the 'eadlesses next door, that'l do fer a start. if ye're looking' for a short cut downstairs, ye can jump a few platforms, 'n'op down the rabbit'ole.

Speak proper Ultima English! Thou saw some headless the other day? Horrible creatures!

helicopter.jpg
The rabbit hole?

fissif.jpg
Thou shalt see! Just watch for the big duck pond, 'n keep to your left!

helicopter.jpg
Thank thee -- I see thou art very familiar with the area.

fissif.jpg
I know m'way 'round'ere, I does!

*He turns to leave.*

helicopter.jpg
And where art thou going in such a hurry?

fissif.jpg
Oh, things to do. Oy've got rats to kill and eat, fetid water to sip, that sort o' thing. Oy'm a busy man!

helicopter.jpg
Not so fast, Fissif. I mean to arrest thee.

fissif.jpg
Arrest? And why should I come with thee to jail? We are all in the Guardian's jail, anyway!

1. If thou dost not, I shall kill thee where thou standest.

2. If thou dost remain below, thou shalt starve or die of disease.

Eh... What will
extreme.gif
do?

helicopter.jpg
If thou dost not, I shall kill thee where thou standest.

*He takes a step backward, and slowly sizes you up.*

fissif.jpg
(Valor) Thou dost look a bit out of shape, Helicopter. I believe I shall take my chances with thee.

1. So be it.
2. Dost thou think to succeed where the Triad of Evil failed?

helicopter.jpg
So be it.

The unarmed thief is no match for The Avatar, despite the Avatar's lack of combat skills...

fissif.jpg
Okay, okay, y'dinna have to get so rought, I'll go off to jail wi'ye. 'S not like I 'aven't been before!

*Sulking, he limps off towards the upstairs ladder.*

uw2_60headless.jpg

Next door where the headless are, the skulls serve as a warning that this is a dangerous area. Headless are out-of-depth monsters at this point and the designers put them near the start of the game. I'll probably get killed but I'm sure you guys want to see some headless right?

uw2_61headless.jpg

I'm using my tracking skill and can detect a few creatures, had my skill been higher I would be able to get more info. A headless walks into view from the right opening. Move closer to the screen if you cannot see. I started retreating while casting magic arrows.

uw2_61Aheadless.jpg

Too busy fighting so I didn't get a screenshot of me kiting. I can only slowly walk backwards, unlike this guy.

uw2_62headless.jpg

After shooting 20 magic arrows I ran out of mana and the headless thing isn't dead yet. Yes the spell is that bad. I stab at the abomination with my shortsword but only managed to miss and damage my sword due to lack of weapon expertise. Mana regenerates too slowly so...

helicopter.jpg
Runaway!

And run she did.

*You sense an otherworldy intruder.*

richard.jpg
Missing in combat? That's frustrating, weapons should always hit, combat is more satisfying and immersive if you can feel your blows connecting.

george.jpg
Pish-tish! Character stats should matter, not player's skill.

richard.jpg
Well, we could compromise and let character skill influence attack damage. Like the Barehand skill does in this game.

george.jpg
What a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that!

richard.jpg
Perhaps Diablo 3 will benefit from always-hit attacks as well.

uw2_63fissif.jpg

Back to the game. I ran back up to the castle and decided to visit the captured thief.

uw2_64fissif.jpg

Bartering. While there is gold in this game, most of the transactions can be done with goods.
There's also an option to demand goods.
You can also give gifts to increase your relationship.
Hmm best not think where he hides the lockpicks.

helicopter.jpg
I demand that thou givest me these items.

fissif.jpg
Art thou going to take my belongings by force?

helicopter.jpg
Yes, I must.

fissif.jpg
No! Thou shalt not take them!

Fissif turns hostile but he is behind bars and cannot reach me. I can get myself thrown in jail again which will reset hostiles in the castle but I just reload my save.

uw2_64Asleep.jpg

While sleeping in the castle, I got a disturbing dream. Someone in the castle has given in to the Guardian?

uw2_65headless1.jpg

The headless returned to its home when I returned to the sewers. Monsters heal too when you sleep so this will not be easier. But this time I'm wielding a handaxe since I damaged my sword.
Once more into the breach!

Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 "Combat" music:
http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=4501382&song=Combat

uw2_66headless1.jpg

Did you notice that the Avatar is a head taller than the monster? :D

uw2_67headless1.jpg

MAGE FAIL
Not a good thing to fail incantations when you are engaged in head-to-head combat.

uw2_68headless1.jpg

I swing my axe whenever it ventures close. Combat is slow and sluggish like those old, poorly choreographed kungfu movies. I actually like it. Can't say I'm playing this for the combat though.

uw2_69headless1.jpg

The horrible creature falls before my Avatar-like-might, they aren't that hard as long as you keep your head. Alas I was not quick enough to capture the death animation. Here is a blood stain instead. Forgot which one though.

uw2_72headless2.jpg

Heading deeper into the headless lair, I encounter one more headless plus a rat. I pull the rat away from the headless and quickly kill it.

uw2_74headless2.jpg

The headless approaches.

uw2_75headless2.jpg

It's the Deus Ex protoAI! I'm not even crouching (can't crouch in this game) and I'm holding this lit torch, but let's not nitpick over stealth.
First strike is mine then; a few creatures have different armour rating for head and body, I would aim for the head but...

uw2_76headless2.jpg

I'm out of mana again and have to resort to vulgar physical violence. I believe I have in my sack, an unidentified mana potion from Nystul's lab but I'm saving it.

uw2_77headless2.jpg

I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power. The Avatar can now cast level 2 spells now such as lesser heal, with the runes 'IN BET MANI' (IBM) or 'Cause Small Life'. I'm still stuck with magic arrow as my attack spell and I've worn out my axe with my wild noobish swinging.
I pop back to the castle to visit Nystul and spend my new skill points training on mana.

uw2_78hole.jpg

The floor leading to next area appears and disappears, I missed my timing (purposely) and fell down to the next level.

uw2_79lurker.jpg

Lady Helicopter falls into water next to a hostile lurker, nasty tentacles. I can't attack while swimming so I made for the ladder before I get tentacle-raped.

uw2_80lurker.jpg

I rest up and killed the lurker from the shore, out of range of its tenacles with magic arrow.

uw2_81wand.jpg

There is a drain at the pool which leads to a nook with a wand. Using it fires off a magic arrow.

uw2_82spider.jpg

The ladder leads back up and I pass the disappearing floor trap and meet up with a new monster, a weak giant spider. It isn't hostile but I want my XP.

uw2_83pit.jpg

Another trap, the floor disappeared right before me, good thing I was walking slowly.

uw2_84gazer.jpg

A sidepath...

uw2_85gazer.jpg

Dead adventurers remains all over the ground! What horrible creatures did this? Nope, I searched, no PDAs, no audiologs nor diaries describing their final moments.
Onwards! "Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once."

uw2_86gazer.jpg

A gazer! Reminds me of a beholder. It hasn't seen me yet. I fear this is too much for me to handle but maybe I can sneak/rush in and grab whatever it is guarding?

Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 "Dangerous Situation" music:
400kb mp3:http://www.taconf.com/tom/mp3/mt32/[Ultima Underworld II] Dangerous Situation.mp3
Small LQ midi:http://www.bootstrike.com/Uw2/playmidi.html?file=dangeroussituation.mid&title=Dangerous Situation

uw2_87gazer.jpg

Two of them! And the chest is locked, I have no lockpicking skill and no time to bash the chest open. Time to run!

uw2_88gazer.jpg

The ledge back out is a bit high, Lightning bolts blast into my back as I try jumping up but failed (I shouldn't have stuffed my face). Acrobatic skill will help here! Wait, I can also cast jump but is there time for me to open my runebag? Let's try jumping again. Oh wait I forgot to heal, must not forget to take a screenshot as well.

uw2_89death.jpg

Oh noes! Death comes with multiple zooming skulls.

uw2_90death.jpg

uw2_90Adeath.jpg

The Avatar is dead, dead as
MJH.gif
:( and Lord British couldn't raise him due to the blackrock interference.

uw2_91map.jpg

Latest map. Note there is a long tunnel to the gazers. Gazers are deaf but are able to see twice as far as humans. If they spot you early, you will be seeing lightning bolts flying at you out of the darkness. It only takes 3 to 4 bolts to kill me and there is no room to dodge them so I can't just shoot them from a distance, I can't hit them with my weapon either since I am unskilled in weapons. Looks like I should skip this and return when I am stronger.

richard.jpg
You see gentlemen, proof that level scaling is better.

george.jpg
Well I suppose the Avatar wouldn't have died if the gazers were weaker or some weaker monsters spawned instead.

richard.jpg
Aye, instead of wasting time traveling back here she would have killed the monsters and gotten the leveled loot in the chest. We don't want people to uninstall the game due to death from out-of-depth spawns do we?

george.jpg
Too bad you don't rule Britannia, but what about our poor old Avatar, what is she going to do now? Let us ask the viewers. What do you guys think? How should Miss Helicopter get out of her jam? Do you have a cunning plan? Or should she come back later stronger as the game designers intent?

Current stats:
Level 4
Offensive spells:
Level 1 - magic arrow

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ultima Underworld is a masterpiece.

Ultima Underworld 2 was one boring game, IMO.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ah excellent. I was realy looking forward to this. Carry on Mightiest of Mouses.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I pray one day UW will be remade with modern technology.

For the younger ones, it's hard to understand how this game could make anyones yaw drop, but at the time it did. RPGs used to look like this:

Ultima%207%20-%20The%20Black%20Gate_1.gif

.. and this (U7) is one of the really good looking examples!

Ammar

Scholar
Good luck playing a Mage. It's not easy, but in the end magic gets very powerful.

My advice :

Attack spells are rather useless early in the game, it's better to use Mana for buffing and healing. Later on, instead of casting attack spells yourself collect the appropiate wands and use the "Enchant" Spell to recharge them. Oh, and you can "Mend Item" the badly worn plate armour you find early on as well. Mend Item also recharges items like torches, lanterns and the extra useful light orbs you find in Talorus.

Suchy

Arcane
I could never get it - both the Avatar and Lord Brish are modern day people who travelled to Britannia through a moongate. Why are they speaking ye olde english to each other? Fucking larpers...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Re: Let's Playeth Ultima Underworld 2

Mighty Mouse said:
mj.jpg

Hmm 2 blackwomen (including me) in the castle and not a single blackman?

???

Anyway, hurray, George IV! Now we're all saved!

And just leave those gazers be for now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
GlobalExplorer said:
I pray one day UW will be remade with modern technology.

For the younger ones, it's hard to understand how this game could make anyones yaw drop, but at the time it did. RPGs used to look like this:

Ultima%207%20-%20The%20Black%20Gate_1.gif

.. and this (U7) is one of the really good looking examples!

This (U7) was hailed as "RPGs will NEVER look better than this! These are the most awesome graphics of all time!" back then.
Actually, when I look at Oblivion and Mass Effect, I have to agree with that statement.

Silellak

Cipher
Nice LP! I played through UW1 oh-so-many years go, but never got very far into UW2. Good luck!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I've never played any of the Underworld games so I'll be following this LP. It's interesting how different the experience must be for someone who's very familiar with the Ultima series vs me, as I am not, as all these characters (not the boots grafix, though) mean nothing to me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Re: Let's Playeth Ultima Underworld 2

furniture can be destroyed.

I don't know how many times I've played UW2, and I did not know this. I just never saw a reason to try.

Burning Bridges

JarlFrank said:
This (U7) was hailed as "RPGs will NEVER look better than this! These are the most awesome graphics of all time!" back then.
Actually, when I look at Oblivion and Mass Effect, I have to agree with that statement.

I was personally not that much impressed by the graphics in U7, not nearly as much as UW (which was unbelievable). I was more impressed by the scope and openendedness in U7.

Although I remember ironically the hardware requirements for U7 were higher. UW ran well on my 386 with 40 Mhz and 4 MB RAM, U7 became quite a slideshow in some fights.

Burning Bridges

My tip for everyone who is looking for a middle of the road experience: Grab Arx Fatalis for 6$ at gog, which still runs and looks pretty well under XP (running in 1680x1050 widescreen). I know it's not as good as UW but very similar. Still hoping for Arx 2.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes. (In before people calling Arx Fatalis shit. It isn't awesome-awesome, but it's a good dungeon crawling experience. Very atmospheric. IMO.)

Secretninja

Cipher
I remember hearing about someone remaking Ultima Underworld with Unreal Tournament. Not sure how far they took it.
Meh just deathmatch levels, I thought that someone planned on remaking the game.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Great LP, i do have both Underworld's havent touched them in years but i do remember the sewers of the castle were perhaps the toughest areas to explore when you are now starting off.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well, since you picked a mage caster...I suppose you'd struggle a lot if you relied heavily on magic early on. Would it hurt much if you actually work on your melee fighting stats or use ranged weapons to compensate for your weak magical attacks?

Also : Make a grab for that armory key ? Gears are always good to have. Although repairing them can be a bitch.

It's a fine game, just aged badly with the odd interface.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The interface isn't that odd; there is a small reference pamphlet with the game that explains exactly how the controls are done, and it takes less than a minute to understand the whole game.

It's very accessible.

Ultima Underworld did not age.

Ultima Underworld 2 has, but only because it's also not particularly good in its own right, compared to Ultima Underworld.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The problem with Ultima Underworld 2 is that it too closely tied to Ultima 7...both parts. It's like an epilogue to Black Gate and a Prologue to Serpent Isle at the same time. As a result, you need to play the other two games to get the most enjoyment out of UW2.

The connection to the Black Gate is obvious - all of the characters in the castle (except for Fissif the thief) are from that game. But as you progress further through UW2, you start to see references to the (then unreleased) Serpent Isle. The best examples are the crystal ball in Anudunos and the item the Goblins in the Britannian Sewers find and give to you...if you can be bothered to talk to them again near the end of the game. I never did until a walkthrough told me to do so.

Not to mention that UW2 has a huge issue with Sound Blaster cards trying to play those digital sound effects. Maybe DOSBox has found a way around that.

Also, where did you find that image of the box cover without the titles? And is there a bigger version available of it?

Ammar

Scholar
Unkillable Cat said:
The problem with Ultima Underworld 2 is that it too closely tied to Ultima 7...both parts. It's like an epilogue to Black Gate and a Prologue to Serpent Isle at the same time. As a result, you need to play the other two games to get the most enjoyment out of UW2.

The connection to the Black Gate is obvious - all of the characters in the castle (except for Fissif the thief) are from that game. But as you progress further through UW2, you start to see references to the (then unreleased) Serpent Isle. The best examples are the crystal ball in Anudunos and the item the Goblins in the Britannian Sewers find and give to you...if you can be bothered to talk to them again near the end of the game. I never did until a walkthrough told me to do so.

You overstate it a little. The connections to Serpent Gate are very rare and don't really touch on the UW 2 at all. The crystal ball gives just a very minor clue and most people never get the Blackrock Serpent as you say. As to Black Gate : the only connection is the people + Guardian. And you quickly get a feeling for them anyway.

Anyways : UW 2 is at least as good as UW 1. The different worlds are very well made and quite different. The Tomb, the Pits and the Ice Caverns are all very distinct places with a lot of atmosphere.

RK47

Patron
Don't forget the negative dimension with great axe of life stealing. :evil:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Ammar said:
You overstate it a little. The connections to Serpent Gate are very rare and don't really touch on the UW 2 at all. As to Black Gate : the only connection is the people + Guardian. And you quickly get a feeling for them anyway.

I never said that it was a big problem, it just is a problem that UW2, from a storywise point of view, is more connected to Ultima 7 than to Ultima Underworld. UW1, despite being a part of the Ultima universe, stands completely on its own. Everything you need to know is either in the manual or explained in-game.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Unkillable Cat said:

UW 2 certainly feels closer to Ultima than the first UW (which is more like another world), certainly enjoyable to talk with the castle inhabitants, nice to see Dupre alive and drinking as well.

Unkillable Cat said:
Not to mention that UW2 has a huge issue with Sound Blaster cards trying to play those digital sound effects. Maybe DOSBox has found a way around that.
Digitial voice? Yep, the guardian is speaking albeit rarely.

Unkillable Cat said:
Also, where did you find that image of the box cover without the titles? And is there a bigger version available of it?

From the artist's resume website:
http://www.io.com/~dloubet/resume/resume.htm

RK47 said:
Well, since you picked a mage caster...I suppose you'd struggle a lot if you relied heavily on magic early on. Would it hurt much if you actually work on your melee fighting stats or use ranged weapons to compensate for your weak magical attacks?

I'm only going to start training my combat skills after I maxed both my casting and mana. Magic is fine, as you will see in my next update.

Anyone with any trick to killing the gazers? Did anyone succeed at killing them at the start?

RK47

Patron
Think I played UW2 with a guide book when I was young. The first person perspective disoriented me a lot. Just make a grab for the armory key first I guess and see what happens from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom