Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO Extraterrestrials - Finale

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
dextermorgan said:
Thread needs moar updatan! (bump)

My workload this weekend will probably prevent me from doing a proper update, heck, I might not even get to play, so don't expect too much. I will try, however, to deliver an update come monday.

:salute:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I see a lot of similarities between the original UFO and this one. Sentinels = Cyberdiscs, Destroyers = Sectopods, Larvae = Celtaids, I guess Hallucinoids could work as Sectoids and Vipons are too obvious. Too bad the Chasers can't float :smug:

The Thin Man

Novice
I would like to step up for some knee deep alien entrail action.

Give me something cool like a chemogun or stun weapons or whatever.

Also with the request in odd weaponry which will probably get me killed forthwith, I'd like to keep on rolling with another enlistment when I do.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Have only had time to play very little this weekend, and my nightshift did not let me get much sleep last night, so I don't expect to be able to update this thread today. My hopes are for tomorrow. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Expect an update tomorrow including battle-cruisers, jetpacks and three fatalities on our team. :smug:

People who have already signed up, and have not enrolled for our cloning program are welcome to consider this offer. Or they could just wait and see if their primary survives this conflict.. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The brave volounteers that stepped forward to field test the flamethrower and chemogun will have to wait until the equipment is finished. The alien scum however, does not just sit around and wait for that to happen, and we're forced to kill some more foot soldiers.

Many missions are simple recovery missions that go by without a hitch. anus_pounder the third is shaping up nicely, and that 95 shooting accuracy score is going to be helpful. :salute:

Warcupine the second improves on his throwing accuracy, to better fling death at the xenos. :salute:

Our researchers adapt the ion technology to aircraft carried weaponry. This gun represents a marked improvement when compared with the plasma cannon.

The green larva is revealed to be a "king" larva, which has better defense, more hitpoints and more caustic acid, but otherwise nothing terribly exciting. They die easy enough, and our Beekeeper armour keeps us safe from the acid most of the time.

Our first jetpack is finished, and Eklektyk is chosen to carry it! :salute: He will rain death from above. :smug:

Funny story, the aliens do not seem to carry ion grenades, so this represents a purely human weapon. For grenades, the aliens seem to be sticking with the plasma variety for some reason.

Two new defensive structures are researched. I immediately order ion defenses built in the interceptor bases. We will have to wait a full 40 days for them to be completed however.
The new defense buildings are not what was exciting here however, that is the promise of a new branch of weaponry, based on the "AKEW" theory.. Can't wait to learn more about this, this could represent humanity finally getting ahead in this game. :incline:

First though, we wrap up a minor project that I had a handful of researchers working on. The ion rocket. Again, as with other rockets, I don't bother. The launcher's too unwieldy, and I prefer to use grenades. :roll:

Putting all hands to work on the AKEW tech soon pays off however. The name isn't explained, but it seems to be a combination of laser and plasma technologies. Since the aliens weren't using laser tech, I guess this could explain why this is also a human only tech.
We quickly put the researchers to the task of putting this new theory to practical uses.

Having 120 researchers working on the same task produces results quickly. :smug:
This AKEW rifle is awesome! :bounce: It sports higher damage, better accuracy and more shots per reload than the heavy ion, plus burst mode to boot! This rifle cannot be looted however, nor the ammo for it, so I guess we've found a project for our technicians to get busy with.

The aircraft is less of an improvement over the ion cannon, but still packs a fearsome punch. Which we're going to need soon, as those battlecruisers are intimidating..

Better missiles will also be a great help to be sure. Too bad I have so many projects for the technicians as it is. I could really use an advanced workshop..

No advanced workshop schematic is available for research however, so I settle for the AKEW defense building. It has slightly worse accuracy than the ion defense building, yet it is built quicker and does markedly more damage. And it's cheaper to boot. Once the ion defenses are ready, they will be complemented with this one. :smug:

The ion shield adds 120 armour to the interceptors, compared with 30 armour of our original shields.. We'll need this armour to keep our interceptors aloft.

140 damage in a handy little package.. I should switch our technicians away from the chemical grenades and have them start on these bundles of love instead. :love:

And finally, our very own hovertank schematic! :thumbsup: I will be building a few of these once our other workshop projects are completed, which won't be for a while yet. But everyone wants hovertanks, right? :M

The personal ion shield is only 3 times better than the basic shield, compared to the factor 4 improvement of the ship-based one, but we'll start a production line soon despite this. We sorely need the protection, which will become painfully apparent soon.

Funny, the AKEW rocket does less damage than the AKEW grenade. :roll:

Battlecruiser! I wonder what its target is?

... what a surprise.
We let the aliens have a bit of fun in Seathopia, as we have 10 days before we need to retake the base, and instead we send our team to recover a downed battlecruiser.

Eklektyk is having fun with his new jetpack. :roll: The advantages of such a jetpack is that it allows you to shot over obstacles that would otherwise obscure the line of fire, and it protects you from grenades as well.

Destroyers.. I hate those buggers. We've made a solid line of fire however, and this being a day-time mission, our sight range is only slightly less than the AIs.

The destroyer is dealt with, and our troops approach the heavily damaged battlecruiser.

It's a two-story UFO, four cylinders, one for each corner, and corridors connecting them. There's a central cylinder with doors and a lift. We don't need to take that route however, due to the extensive damage we can easily enter through the holes in the walls.
And the AKEW rifle proves to be just as deadly as we'd hoped. :incline:

We advance carefully, sniping any resistance from afar, and soon enough..

Only minor injuries suffered, and Desmodus Rotundus the second and dextermorgan are both promoted to sergeants! :salute:

We do another easy recovery mission where minor wounds are taken. This also means that spots in the transport are available for two new recruits for the next mission..
Expecting another easy recovery, the troops are deployed, when suddenly..

dead_bee-e1294365542292.png

Targetted by multiple hostiles, brave Bee falls to the ground, quite dead.. She will be missed. :salute:

When we finally assault the UFO (a fighter class), I get a bit careless with one of the recruits and...

128798980375908370.jpg

Good thing Thin Man has signed up for our cloning project..

Two dead and two wounded, but at least I caught a commander. This mission was so not worth it. :decline:

We can't let ourselves be distracted by the mounting losses however, as the conflict rages on. Our researchers finish their investigation of the crashed battlecruiser, and it promises to yield some interesting artifacts that we might use to further enhance our own aircraft.
Seathopia had come under alien attack, and now I order the transport to retake the base.
Base defense missions can be very simple. Line up 3 or 4 troops with high reaction stats and wait for the enemy to show itself and mow it down. Simple, nothing ought to go wrong, right?

You can't do reaction fire with grenades...
heidi-montag-spencer-pratt-want-to-leave-the-jungle.jpg

Warcupine the second joins the first in the afterlife.. Good thing he is also enrolled in the cloning project, as the third will no doubt hunger for revenge. :salute:

He was the only one to suffer any injury however, and our recruit is promoted to private. :salute:

The contents of the battlecruiser wreck is analyzed and the loot can now be sold for profit. More importantly however, we now have a new research topic, promising to improve upon our troop transport. :smug:

The advanced detection systems now provides us with intel on destination and mission of the UFOs we spot. We decide to deny the aliens the chance of mining for more fuel and shoot this one down.

Sometimes we get lucky with the burst fire, and the shots fired after killing the primary target can hit other targets behind it. :smug:

Here dextermorgan is trying out the flamethrower. :twisted: Too bad it only has a range of 6 or 7 squares, but it does set stuff on fire, and it killed this chaser easily.

Donaroriak and anus_pounder the third are both recognised for their valour and zeal in battle, and are promoted to sergeants. :salute:

We can now produce a battle robot!
Does this robot remind anyone but me of something?
Ed-209.jpg

In all respects however, this bipedal fighting robot is inferior to the hovertank, so I doubt I will be building any.

We can now build a 12-seater airplane! :roll: It's faster and can go farther than any of the previous transports however, so we start building one immediately.

This is as far as I recall, the ultimate interceptor in this game. :smug: As soon as the transport is finished, we will start building these. :love:

The turn of the month is on us, and we see that we're approaching the maximum funding possible, yet our costs continue to grow. Good thing we can sell the loot we take from cold alien hands, right? :smug:
We're a bit strapped for cash however, especially if we're to build all those Nightwolf interceptors, so we could really do with an...

Alien swarm! How useful! :incline: This time however, the swarm leader is a battlecruiser, and there's a second battlecruiser in the swarm to back it up.

And while we're battling the swarm, a third battlecruiser shows up, heading for Seathopia.
rolleyes.jpg

The swarm leader is shot down, but so is 3 of our interceptors. We're still making a profit however, and the promise of even more cash beckons us. We scramble the transport.

With extreme care, we make our way through the map, and miraculously we manage not to lose more troops. :thumbsup: DamnedRegistrations joins the SS, and Artricia hones her shooting skills. :salute:

We receive another set of shield/autodoc, and a new unique, the Distortion Field Generator. This little item promises to make Eklektyk 25% harder to hit. :smug: Guess who just won point duty? :twisted: Don't worry though, the auto-doc protects from critical hits as previously mentioned, and the eternal shield he's also carrying should mean that he can carry out point duty with relatively little risk.
And to finish this update off.

Seathopia is invaded. I must remember to keep the grenadiers back when I retake the base, we don't want another warcupine incident, do we? M:

dextermorgan

Arcane
:yeah:

Here dextermorgan is trying out the flamethrower. Twisted Too bad it only has a range of 6 or 7 squares, but it does set stuff on fire, and it killed this chaser easily.
Sorry about that Storyfag, the decision came from higherups...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@dextermorgan
The decision was easy, Storyfag was out wounded, so he'll testdrive the chemogun as soon as he has recovered. :smug:

@spekkio
Indeed. :salute:

@Bee
Feel free to reenlist. It was poor black luck that got you. A second iteration would fare better, I'm sure. You're no Warcupine or anus_pounder. :salute:

@eklektyk
I'm certain you'll shine as point man. :smug: Remember, if you spot the alien, you also get to kill it. :M

lightbane

Arcane
Well, my man is doing fine, which is a good thing, unfortunately he's not staff sergeant yet
:rage:

Well, as long as casualities continue to pile up, he certainly will rise in rank sooner or later... :M

The Thin Man

Novice
Damn, ate it the first time the out.

Would chemo and flame weapons now be an active detriment in comparison to akew equiped soldiers?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Azira said:

We can now produce a battle robot!
Does this robot remind anyone but me of something?
Ed-209.jpg

In all respects however, this bipedal fighting robot is inferior to the hovertank, so I doubt I will be building any.

I'd like my third incarnation to pilot one of these :smug:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@The Thin Man
Yes, chemo- and flameweapons are inferior to AKEW rifles in my opinion. If people insist on using them however, who am I to deny them? They'll have to get close, which means lots of reaction fire, so they'll likely die, and then someone wiser might step up and use rifles instead. :smug:
Well, to be fair, when doing UFO assaults, there's usually enough angles to approach from, making getting closer to the enemy more likely.

@Ulminati
Alright, Warcupine III will be sacked and put inside a robotic suit instead. You will not be able to earn xp however, as the cyclops is akin to a tank in that respect. :M

@Desmodus Rotundus
Yes, I could do a fluff update with just the soldier stats. :salute:

@Crooked Bee
Shall the new recruit be known as Bee II, NewBee or KillerBee or some other name? :salute:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Azira said:
@The Thin Man
Yes, chemo- and flameweapons are inferior to AKEW rifles in my opinion. If people insist on using them however, who am I to deny them?
Hey wait a minute here, I volunteered to fieldtest the weapon, no one said I'd be stuck with it forever and ever!

As for you Bee, I'm going to tell you a nice regaling story so you don't feel so bad about your recent unfortunate demise.

Once at work on a rather slow day I found a bee lying on the windowsill. The poor thing was just barely alive and I guess it got trapped in the office the previous day and exhausted itself by flying against the window trying to get out - it would just barely move when prodded lightly. I happen to like bees, unlike flies, mosquitoes or wasps, so I didn't want to throw it out of the window in such a helpless state only to be eaten by a lizard or somesuch - instead I took a cup, put in a teaspoon of sugar and diluted it with water making a very thick, almost honey-like fluid - which I then to fed the bee by using a toothpick with drops of said fluid that I put against its proboscis. It ate hungrily and started recovering almost immediately but its movements were still drunken so I put a plastic cup over it and placed it in the sun for a while, until I could see it was starting to move and fly with ease inside, like any other healthy bee. It this point I opened the window and released it.

So I sat down at my desk to do some work and what do you know? Within 20 minutes a bee flew through the now open window and into the office and buzzed inquisitively inside for a while, before leaving again, this time for good. Now I have no way of knowing for sure but I'd bet it was the exact same bee who came back to look for some more of the sweet sugary fluid that brought it back to life.

The end.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
dextermorgan said:
Azira said:
@The Thin Man
Yes, chemo- and flameweapons are inferior to AKEW rifles in my opinion. If people insist on using them however, who am I to deny them?
Hey wait a minute here, I volunteered to fieldtest the weapon, no one said I'd be stuck with it forever and ever!

As for you Bee, I'm going to tell you a nice regaling story so you don't feel so bad about your recent unfortunate demise.

Once at work on a rather slow day I found a bee lying on the windowsill. The poor thing was just barely alive and I guess it got trapped in the office the previous day and exhausted itself by flying against the window trying to get out - it would just barely move when prodded lightly. I happen to like bees, unlike flies, mosquitoes or wasps, so I didn't want to throw it out of the window in such a helpless state only to be eaten by a lizard or somesuch - instead I took a cup, put in a teaspoon of sugar and diluted it with water making a very thick, almost honey-like fluid - which I then to fed the bee by using a toothpick with drops of said fluid that I put against its proboscis. It ate hungrily and started recovering almost immediately but its movements were still drunken so I put a plastic cup over it and placed it in the sun for a while, until I could see it was starting to move and fly with ease inside, like any other healthy bee. It this point I opened the window and released it.

So I sat down at my desk to do some work and what do you know? Within 20 minutes a bee flew through the now open window and into the office and buzzed inquisitively inside for a while, before leaving again, this time for good. Now I have no way of knowing for sure but I'd bet it was the exact same bee who came back to look for some more of the sweet sugary fluid that brought it back to life.

The end.

:love:

I happen to like bees to :)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
dextermorgan said:

The end.

:love:

:)

The Thin Man

Novice
Azira said:
@The Thin Man
Yes, chemo- and flameweapons are inferior to AKEW rifles in my opinion. If people insist on using them however, who am I to deny them? They'll have to get close, which means lots of reaction fire, so they'll likely die, and then someone wiser might step up and use rifles instead. :smug:
Well, to be fair, when doing UFO assaults, there's usually enough angles to approach from, making getting closer to the enemy more likely.
Well if you find it to onerous to find those angles for inferior killing power load me up with the biggest blaster you've got, or any ne type of weapon that comes out of research that seems interesting.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
dextermorgan said:
Azira said:
@The Thin Man

The Thin Man said:
Well if you find it to onerous to find those angles for inferior killing power load me up with the biggest blaster you've got, or any ne type of weapon that comes out of research that seems interesting.

What, no more lust for glorious death? :roll: Now you want to deal death, not die trying? Very well, the final iteration of rifle technology will prove to be superior to the flame-/chemothrower so that's what you'll wind up using.

This game is sadly lacking in the meaningful weapons variety. The After- series did a better job, but I digress. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom