Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play the Walking Dead!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Multi-headed Cow

Let's play, more like... Let's... Read. A video game. Yeah I dunno this is probably a bad idea but what the hell.

THE WALKING DEAD!

Latest series of adventure games by Telltale, which such challenging puzzles as "Use hammer on zombie" and "Use axe on zombie". It's more of an interactive cartoon than anything, but it's pretty entertaining and mostly well done. There won't be much in the way of Codex interaction beyond "Character creation" at the start here, since the game uses checkpoint saving and I can't easily stop and ask for a Kool Kodex Konsensus on every major choice.
Speaking of choice, the game supposedly has C&C. Since only the first episode is out so far, this doesn't show up much yet. Will it have an impact down the line? Who knows! Assuming I don't die of a heart attack, get immensely bored, or there's no demand to continue, I'll press on with each episode with the Codex character.

How's this going to work? Well, the plan is I'll take the occasional full screen picture (At the same resolution as Fort Zombie, which seemed to me ideal for forum viewing and lets me easily play windowed so I can type this shit up while I play) and during most dialog I'll transcribe what happens and use portrait sized pictures. Since the game's MOSTLY dialog this may be a bummer to read, but I guess we'll see.

As usual, if interested in yon videogame, here's the main page for it.
http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead

Also as a warning, this will spoil the shit out of the game for you. The game isn't much for puzzles and is heavily reliant on dialog and story, but since it's pretty linear odds are you'll be getting spoiled. Since this is a picture and text LP if you get interested enough to want to try the game yourself you'll have the advantage of voiced dialog and facial animations, both of which are done pretty well. Especially the voiceovers.

1hL05.jpg

CHARACTER CREATION TIME!
Ah yes, we've been expecting you. You'll have to be recorded before you're officially released. There are a few ways we can do this and the choice is yours.
Answer his questions. (Generate class)

Please answer all these questions to help decide the nature of a man. I will use HIGHLY SCIENTIFIC MEANS perfected in previous LPs to formulate the Codex character! (I'll read all the answers and find the winning answers by most votes)

Should the PC take the silent dialog option every time it's available? Yes/no (No idea the outcome of this actually, but a fair number of dialogs during the game have a ... option if you want to be an anime character. If this option ends up winning I'll still talk to NPCs for side-dialog)

Men or women? Which is better and why? Discuss!!! Men/women

How do you feel about little girls? I WILL PROTECT THEM AND BE NICE TO THEM/Eh I don't really give a shit

Is honesty always the best policy? Yes/no

It's the zombie apocalypse! Things are seeming grimdark! Should you give preference to your own skin, or to the good of the group/others? Protect self/protect group and others

That should do it Codex. I'll leave it like this for a day or two to give a decent chance of getting votes in, since past this point I'll probably be on autopilot.

kazgar

Arcane
ZAMBIES!

need to become self preserving brooding type

be silent
man
don't really give a shit
no honesty
own skin

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Talkie dude that disregards little girls meh about honesty let's look out for our own ass.

Dry Hump

Novice
You should NEVER take the silent option. Always take the sassiest of options. If no sassy options are available pick a humorous one. If nothing humorous is available, pick a sarcastic one.

Black Woman. Obese if possible, I'm talking the fatter the better. Straight up weave and fake nails.

You should look out for the little girls/boys/puppies but shouldn't baby them. Discipline them so they don't act like Carl from the show. Fuck that kid.

Honesty is the best policy but only if it's SASSY. In fact don't pick any option that isn't sassy.

You need to look out for your sassy self. That's how a real, strong black woman operates.

lightbane

Arcane
Since the Codex hates jrpgs, the silent option is the best :troll:. It has to be a MAN, of course, but we don't give a fuck about little girls. Honesty is indeed always the best policy... Not that it will matter much in a zombie apocalypse. Lastly but not least, we should care a little about others, as we need meatshields to protect ourselves.

Multi-headed Cow

Just to clarify one of the questions a bit since a bro on Steam told me it isn't clear (If anyone wants to change their vote on that), the "Man or woman" question isn't regarding the PC's gender. You're always male. I'm still leaving the question vague though. Don't wanna give everything away immediately.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just to clarify one of the questions a bit since a bro on Steam told me it isn't clear (If anyone wants to change their vote on that), the "Man or woman" question isn't regarding the PC's gender. You're always male. I'm still leaving the question vague though. Don't wanna give everything away immediately.

Knowing the codex, the prevalent answer is still likely to be "man", and then the majority will proceed to be horrified with the results. :M

Multi-headed Cow

Alright, gonna get this ball rolling. "A day or two" turned in to more like half a day since I'm an impatient shithead.

Results of voting:
Silent/talky is a tie! I do a roll-off and talky wins, but this first update should be relatively short and any tiebreaking votes will be counted.
Men/women, men wins!
Little girls, another tie and don't give a shit wins the roll-off. Same as silent/talky, tiebreaking votes will be counted. (Little girl stuff won't come in to play during this first short introductory update anyway)
Honest/dishonest, another tie and honest wins the roll. Same as other ties (Damn you guys!)
Look out for self/others, self wins!

uKWxM.jpg

aiFSx.jpg

8aROy.jpg

IvSPu.jpg

LZ5DU.jpg

jXW7l.jpg

And now... Our hero!
NSnk6.jpg

UHklF.jpg

ZJIBo.jpg

FA6cq.jpg

eECCd.jpg

JikBg.jpg
Well... I reckon you didn't do it then.
FPU3H.jpg
Why do you say that?
JikBg.jpg
Y'know, I've driven a buncha' fellas down to this here prison, lord knows how many. Usually is 'bout now I get the "I didn't do it."
FPU3H.jpg
Not from me.
JikBg.jpg
'cause guys in your position already said it enough?

The police radio crackles to life.
"We've got what looks like a 10-91E near Peachtree Exit of 285. All cars asked to keep on the lookout for a 91V in the area"
The cop resolutely ignores it.

lKDT3.jpg

JikBg.jpg
It's not every day a fella from Bibb County goes off and kills a state Senator, that's for sure.
A police car tears past us heading back toward the city, sirens howling.

The police radio pipes up again.
"Be advised of medical personnel on route to Hartsfield, various 10's and 20's coming in."
FPU3H.jpg
Any of that seem important to you?
JikBg.jpg
All of it, but that box never shuts up. Sit in this seat and pay too much attention and you'll drive yourself crazy.
I got a nephew up at UGA, you teach there long?
FPU3H.jpg
Going on my sixth year.
JikBg.jpg
You meet your wife in Athens?

o2m9h.jpg

Angst! Sorrow! Depression!

JikBg.jpg
You wanna know how I see it?
FPU3H.jpg
Sure.

7gxFB.jpg

The cop opens his mouth to start to speak, then looks in his rear-view mirror and sees Lee's face, and decides to shut up.

JikBg.jpg
Regardless, could be you just married the wrong woman.
FPU3H.jpg
*Grunts*

Police radio here to break up this awkward conversation!
"Riot in progress. All officers are available for incoming 217's. Rolling calls and dispatches to all locations"
A helicopter and 3-4 police cars tear past us heading toward the city again.

JikBg.jpg
I'm driving this man once, h-he was the worst one. He wouldn't stop going on about how he didn't do it.
He was an older fella. Big, soft eyes behind a pair of smart folk glasses, and he's just wailing back there, says it wasn't him. Cryin' and snottin' all over right where you're sitting!

The police radio bravely attempts to end this story before it really gets going, but the cop switches it off.

JikBg.jpg
Then before long he starts kicking the back of the seat, li-like a fussy baby on an airplane. And I tell him he's gotta stop, that that's government property, and I'll be forced to zap him otherwise.

1tQXG.jpg

JikBg.jpg
wasn't me!"
FPU3H.jpg
Maybe he was innocent.
JikBg.jpg
Innocent!? They caught the fucker red handed! Stabbin' his wife, cutting her up as the boys came through the door! He sits in my car screaming bloody murder that it wasn't him! I think he actually believed it himself.
It goes to show, people will up and go mad when they believe their life is over.
Oh, I got another good one for ya. This one's a little bit less depressing and a bit more hilarious if I do say so. This on...

mlrfY.jpg

q0gka.jpg

hJ00l.jpg

H2P0k.jpg

AO1Le.jpg

xeUOI.jpg

Damn zombies crossing the road! The cop was paying too much attention on his stories and looking in the mirror at Lee (The PC) and didn't notice the zombie shuffling across the road, which he promptly hit and swerved/crashed off the side of the road.

188110gman3edit.JPG
Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman.
IWuBp.jpg

188110gman3edit.JPG
Rise and... Shine.
qFJ0g.jpg

DwdVH.jpg

FPU3H.jpg
Ugh... Oww... Shit. Thirsty...
Y5e1d.jpg

3OG1Q.jpg

gZnMX.jpg

Thanks for the protip, game!

WsTpK.jpg

KbgAm.jpg

The first puzzle. Use foot on window!

JYM0I.jpg

nna96.jpg

dxfGR.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere! Lee's leg makes a terrible squishy/crunchy noise when he stands up, though.

dzfsK.jpg

Get the shotgun Lee! THAT WAS A ZOMBIE IN THE ROAD AND YOU KNOW IT!

ctdtf.jpg

FPU3H.jpg
It's empty.

7POzM.jpg

Even after picking up the shotgun shell, Lee refuses to pick up the shotgun while he's wearing handcuffs. Time to check the most likely source for handcuff keys.

FeYnt.jpg

FkSUy.jpg

What did I ever do to you, Telltale, that you make me USE KEY ON HANDCUFF.

b6kVt.jpg

Naturally, Butterfingers Lee drops the keys right in front of the cop's face.

NDdIE.jpg

Yoink!
Lee uncuffs himself this time (Use key on right handcuff and then use key on left handcuff. God DAMN it Telltale) and rubs his wrists just as the cop starts to wheeze.
FPU3H.jpg
Officer?

vBCrX.jpg

NYOH GOD.

l8cgX.jpg

ikWZ9.jpg

GtLQS.jpg

WONyI.jpg

Butterfingers Lee strikes again and fumbles his one shotgun shell! The puzzle is now "MOUSE QUICKLY AND ACCURATELY TO THE SHOTGUN SHELL BEFORE THE ZAMBIE EATS YOU"!

ZD1Ip.jpg

USE SHOTGUN ON ZOMBIE. I am a puzzle master.

slIVf.jpg

KcvVf.jpg

FPU3H.jpg
HELP! Go get someone! There- There's been a shooting!
The figure turns around and runs off in the opposite direction.

gbmBb.jpg

Lee hears rustling in the shrubs nearby.

3aWBQ.jpg

Butterfeet Lee strikes and he trips over the zombie he just shot as second and third zombies start to lurch over, attracted by all the yelling and shotgun blast.

rXqwG.jpg

omchE.jpg

myuyP.jpg

uAhft.jpg

M8uiB.jpg

Butterfeet Lee strikes again as he falls over walking on grass. DAMN BUTTERY GRASS.

QkDWy.jpg

mOrJG.jpg

ix3Zc.jpg

zlAF5.jpg

Safe forever!

bbjLN.jpg

Just as the zombies start slapping at the fence, gunfire sounds in the distance.

zOtRz.jpg

Zombies LOVE noises!

CIMhi.jpg

S0VkZ.jpg

Safe forever! Again!

FPU3H.jpg
Hello? Anybody?

7ONEr.jpg

GyrlK.jpg

And this seems like a good spot to call it quits for now. Starting to think I should go easier on the pictures as I racked up about 65 of them for this one update. I just get wrapped up in the emotional engagement of the cinematic experience!

lightbane

Arcane
uAhft.jpg

This would be an excellent image for a "in before rape" motivator thing. Certainly I didn't expect the cartoony/cel-shading style, perhaps I'll give it a look later if the game is good...

Multi-headed Cow

Shit, just realized I didn't count Azira's vote. Craster's charisma overwhelmed me and I glazed over it. The impact of which is... Lee will now be dishonest! Wouldn't have really changed anything with what's happened so far though.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Should the PC take the silent dialog option every time it's available? Yes/no (No idea the outcome of this actually, but a fair number of dialogs during the game have a ... option if you want to be an anime character. If this option ends up winning I'll still talk to NPCs for side-dialog)

Men or women? Which is better and why? Discuss!!! Men/women

How do you feel about little girls? I WILL PROTECT THEM AND BE NICE TO THEM/Eh I don't really give a shit

Is honesty always the best policy? Yes/no

It's the zombie apocalypse! Things are seeming grimdark! Should you give preference to your own skin, or to the good of the group/others? Protect self/protect group and others
Chatterbox, fuck women, little girls, honestly, group!

Multi-headed Cow

Was slow getting this next update out, sorry bros. This LP takes a little bit more fiddling than even Fort Zombie since the only way I can pause to type dialog involves clicking outside of the window, and juggling that with picture taking means a bit more effort. SO GODDAMN LAZY.

Also, current state of voting on Lee's character! Talky won, men/women tied and women won the roll-off, protecting little girls won, honest/dishonest tied and dishonest won the roll-off, and good for self/group self won.

SrkI5.jpg

226O8.jpg

Why would you think that? WHY DO YOU INSIST ON ENTERING A STRANGER'S HOME!?

ThWCG.jpg

Well I bet you intend to find out don't you, Mr. Pushy!

WIrQn.jpg

N8eAf.jpg

B36kO.jpg

vaFpa.jpg

FPU3H.jpg
These people might need help more than I do.

HD1Gi.jpg

Push the button. Go on. Do it. Push the button. Push the big red button.

NJUGb.jpg
Three new messages. Message one. Left at 5:43 P.M.
"Hey, Sandra, this is Diana. We're still in Savannah. Ed had a little 'incident' with some crazy guy near the hotel, so we had to get him back to the ER and have it checked out. Anyway, he's not feeling well enough to drive back tonight, so we're staying an extra day. Thanks so much for looking after Clementine, and I promise we'll be back in time before your spring break!"

NJUGb.jpg
Message two. Left at 11:19 P.M.
"Oh my God, finally! I don't know if you've tried to reach us; all the calls are getting dropped. They're not letting us leave and aren't telling us anything about Atlanta. Please, please, just leave the city and take Clementine with you back to Marietta. I've got to get back to the hospital. Please let me know that you're safe."

NJUGb.jpg
Message three. Left at 6:51 A.M.
"Clementine? Baby, if you can hear this, call the police. That's 9-1-1. We love you... we love you... we love y-"

svUIV.jpg

Shortly after looking at this picture, Lee hears a little girl's voice say "Daddy?" from the kitchen.
Let's check the junk drawer!

U5Ypb.jpg

OJdFP.jpg

EmTOW.jpg

FPU3H.jpg
Hello?
wl6hm.jpg
You need to be quiet.
FPU3H.jpg
I'm not a monster.
wl6hm.jpg
Good.
FPU3H.jpg
What's your name?
wl6hm.jpg
I'm Clementine. This is my house.
FPU3H.jpg
Hi, Clementine. I'm Lee.
How old are you?
wl6hm.jpg
Eight.
FPU3H.jpg
And you're all alone?
wl6hm.jpg
Yes. I don't know where anybody is.
How old are you?
FPU3H.jpg
I'm uhh... 37.
wl6hm.jpg
Ok.
FPU3H.jpg
Where are your parents?
wl6hm.jpg
They took a trip and left me with Sandra. They're in Savannah, I think. Where the boats are.
FPU3H.jpg
Are you safe?
wl6hm.jpg
I'm outside in my treehouse. They can't get in.
FPU3H.jpg
That's smart.
wl6hm.jpg
See? Can you see me? I can see you through the window.

DbO9p.jpg

wl6hm.jpg
Shriek! Squeal! Scream!

6MlTW.jpg

AIzAe.jpg

Well I guess we found Sandra.
8aNbW.jpg

HAMMER THAT Q KEY!
XY0Dz.jpg

The above picture is Butterfeet Lee slipping on that pool of blood in the entrance to the kitchen and hitting his head on the counter. DAMN BUTTERY BLOOD!

19nuC.jpg

vq3WF.jpg

GICYg.jpg

Clementine to the rescue!
9a8Hn.jpg

O69Go.jpg

Hammer! HAMMER! USE HAMMER ON ZOMBIE USE HAMMER ON ZOMBIE!
qqLZc.jpg

qMzBi.jpg

OC1Zy.jpg

9tcdp.jpg

6FNIA.jpg

e686g.jpg

0JxdU.jpg

FPU3H.jpg
Man...
Hi there.

dHvXD.jpg

rikhW.jpg
Did you kill it?
FPU3H.jpg
Yes.
rikhW.jpg
It's ok. I think she was a monster.
FPU3H.jpg
I think so too. *? Clementine will remember that. (These little popups are for supposed C&C moments. Maybe showing Clementine it's alright to kill zombies will make her grimdark in the future)*
FPU3H.jpg
You've been all by yourself through this?
rikhW.jpg
Yeah. I want my parents to come home now.

rHBh0.jpg

rikhW.jpg
Oh.
FPU3H.jpg
Look, I don't know what happened. But I'll look after you until then.
rikhW.jpg
What should we do now?
FPU3H.jpg
We need to find help before it gets dark. *? You chose the safety of daylight*
rikhW.jpg
Yeah... It's not safe at night.
FPU3H.jpg
Let's go. Stay close to me.

IVdYu.jpg

Thus ends another chunk of the Walking Dead!
Thinking about it I suppose I should've lied to Clem about killing the zambie since dishonest won. I WAS OVERTAKEN BY THE GAME AGAIN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom