Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Lets Play the latest Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

LP it with HAM 5.0 Alpha at the risk of game-crashing bugs?

• Yes, better enemy AI and tougher to-hit chance spread patterns, come on!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Wait until HAM 5.0 is fully released to start this LP

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, I want a finished JA2 LP and I want it now.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • kingpincomrade

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Some majestic:incline: in this thread.
In case you need more cannon fodder:

Thor
dextrous medic with some tech ability
psychotic asshole

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
May I join in?

JA2_With_HAM_PORT7.jpg

Name: Andrew Kowalsky
Codename: ANDRZEJ
Trait: Optimist
Major: Auto Weapons, Deputy
Minor: Night Ops
Skills: Firearms 85, Health 85, Agility 80+

Colors: I want green pants and brown shirt :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Or maybe hire 12 mercs instead of 6 to cope with the number disadvantage. Should be cool shit having 2 squads mowing down 100s of Deidranna's armed forces.

SoupNazi

I'm pretty sure you can only have 6 live IMP mercs at any time IG.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
To answer that doubt: yes, inventory was weirdly duplicated. No big deal.

Yeah, this happened to me when I made replacement IMPs too. I was kind of worried that it might mean there would be other problems, but I didn't notice anything.

I guess with all the replacements this thread is seeing we will find out quickly whether or not there are any other issues with the replacements.

Cassidy

Arcane
Jesus 6 IMPs is more than enough, don't you think?

Yes. 6 free rides already FFS!!!

I'll start hiring paid mercs once Drassen is secured for backup roles like mechanics and militia training when needed, and no pussying out to Cambria either.

:obviously:

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
New version of 1.13 is released like every odd day (if you follow them using SVN). At some point I stopped caring about having the latest release, because I've found that I spend more time updating 1.13 than actually playing it.

Cassidy

Arcane

Bugfixes: GameDir files
- Update price for UB items
- Fixed a few item pics, because of wrong dimensions
- Fixed missing transparent (MBS_800x600.sti)
- Changed usMouthY coordinate for Barry back to 28 (thats the original value in prof.dat)
- Dr. Q now has all his original traits
- WF mercs repriced according to skill/experience. No longer all bunched together.
- Attitudes tweaked after brainstorming with several Bear'spit members.
- Updated number of Traits in Skills_Settings.INI
- Added new SMACKW32.DLL which now allos playing of the Urban Chaos videos
- Fixed a few ja2_options.ini comments
- Fixed "Nada" item in Monk's Gearkit #5
- Added "ja2export.exe" tool (for doing some convertion stuff) together with help file
- Chitzena Mine (B2-1) was missing on the underground image

Features: GameDir files
Lock 'n Load MOD v1
o Link: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=286021&page=1
o All Mercs now have their original 1.12 traits.
o STOMP traits revised to match original traits as closely as possible. Some Mercs have extra traits to make use of STOMP.
o All WF Mercs have been given their proper starting gear, minus the grenades and kevlar leggings etc...
o Every Merc has their 1.12 gear now, select *Kit 2 if you would like to experience how JA was originally released.
o Static,MD, & Spider kept their 1.12 gear, so for them it is Kit 1.
o All the 1.13 added weapons & equipment have had 100% condition replaced with how they would have shipped in 1.12 along with other minor fixes.
o All Mercs now have 5 Kit to choose from.

New graphical face gear equipment
o SWAT helmet
o Sun Goggles

Surely worth risking to lose the entire game due to save files incompatibility just for such "upgrades"

:M

Black

Arcane
New version of 1.13 is released like every odd day (if you follow them using SVN). At some point I stopped caring about having the latest release, because I've found that I spend more time updating 1.13 than actually playing it.
Oh, didn't realize that.

Yeesh

Magister
Yeah that's SVN for you. Who would have guessed that a method for getting every single individual update to software the second it's posted to development would result in constant software updates? Another thing to watch out for: if you put headphones on and play music through them, it plays RIGHT into your ears. It's enough to make you give up on music.

Before this one, the most recent official update of 1.13 was six months ago.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Yeah that's SVN for you. Who would have guessed that a method for getting every single individual update to software the second it's posted to development would result in constant software updates? Another thing to watch out for: if you put headphones on and play music through them, it plays RIGHT into your ears. It's enough to make you give up on music.

Before this one, the most recent official update of 1.13 was six months ago.

Look at me, I'm so edgy.

Cassidy

Arcane
Defeated by superior numbers, Divided by zero

pAqNi.jpg

c6FoT.jpg

How surprising... using his wisdom, Black, realizing the odds of this battle, decides to just take a few enemies down and then retreat.

apDF4.jpg

After taking one down, as he hear the screams of the brave but green militias being slaughtered and of several machineguns, Black realize the time has come to get the hell out of there.

sH6nC.jpg

Because his other option is to die pointlessly.

7iMdb.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines, he runs away.

6OVHm.jpg

Leaving behind six hopeless militias, who fought to the last with bravery, despite knowing they stood no chance.

:salute:

g227j.jpg

Thus the central area of Drassen is lost, while Black prepares to regroup for one final stand in the Drassen Airport.

gwwLD.jpg

Predictably, shortly after that they retook the mine.

e5gt7.jpg

But probably because of deeming it not that important strategically, they spared the airport, for now. And soon came the reinforcements, who would immediately head for the Drassen Airport, so that one more attempt may be made, a final, decisive attempt.

KJlEA.jpg

They will not fail. They must not fail, for hiring new mercenaries was out of question. Nothing would stop them from trying to achieve their objective...

KKxyv.jpg

BESIDES A FUCKING GAME-BREAKING BUG RELATED TO CREATING MUCH MORE THAN 6 IMP MERCENARIES AFTER THE FIRST ONES DIED

:x :x :x :x :x :x

:rage: :rage :rage :rage:

TIP: Bros, don't use the "unlimited new IMP" feature if you don't want to rage and fail at delivering finished LPs.

Unfortunately I can't muster the will to try all over again, and knowing the inevitability of this, combined with an inevitably high casualty rate, I guess the snide comment on how this won't get past Drassen was right, but not because of the player giving up, but because of the game deciding to fuck up everything.

I know this is a disappointment, but there is nothing I can do and using the hired mercs isn't as fun as getting Codexers.

I hope you got entertained for what this is.

Great LP bro. JA2, BG2*, FF8, Prisoner of Ice, and Sailor Moon are just games cursed to never be finished in this here playground.

*Updates will resume once Codex Gallery exists again. Land war in Russia here we come.

Cassidy

Arcane
Great LP bro. JA2, BG2*, FF8, Prisoner of Ice, and Sailor Moon are just games cursed to never be finished in this here playground.

*Updates will resume once Codex Gallery exists again. Land war in Russia here we come.

I had an original Prisoner of Ice CD-Rom but I bought it in 1997 and unfortunately, just like it happened my Fallout 1 and 2 CD-ROMs, I lost it. Because if I could I'd definitively hijack SV's infamous thread because he deserves it. Unfortunately I can't bother downloading Prisoner of Ice because... meh.

:M

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Damn! My suspicions were correct. I played a similar game where I made 6 IMPs then started adding additional replacement IMPs as they died. When I saw the duplicate equipment, I stopped playing and asked about it on the 1.13 forums, because I figured it was probably trying to use the same profile(or whatever) for the dead merc and the new one. But I never got a response on the 1.13 forums, so I abandoned my game without ever setting foot on Arulco and experiencing the crash.

Anyway, nice LP and thanks for writing it. I guess the only consolation is that having the game end early due to a bug does give the reader a more accurate feel for the 1.13 experience.

Cassidy

Arcane
Also, on a tidbit. There is a modernized bullpup .30 carbine based on the M1 carbine that supports a trigger group and most attachments. Rangers don't gain any bonuses from assault rifles but with the trigger group giving it a 3-round burst, these guns would work finely as replacement battle rifles.

Just my opinions:

Best Pistol as sidearm: PSM

Best Pistol as main weapon: whichever has the smallest AP cost to fire and supports a 2x scope

Best Machinepistol: H&K MP7

Best SMG: P90

Best Rifle: Dunno, never used them before because I didn't know some of them supported trigger groups. That .30 I mentioned could be a good early one because it can be modded with burst fire.

Best AR: Tie between Steyr ACR and G11

Best MG: Ares Shrike. Unless you think you'll never need semi-auto firing.

Best Sniper: Depends on whether you prefer firing more shots per turn or being able to take down an enemy on the other side of a sector.

Don't miss this game. Really. But I recommend experienced difficulty level and disabled Drassen counter-attack if you are new to it but not to tactical games, and novice if you never played a tactical game before.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Damn, it was entertaining but I'd like to read moar. :( Maybe you could do a Unfinished Business LP? It's pretty short, but very hard (imo) so it wouldn't take long and we'd still see some casualties.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, that's a shame. Cursed game indeed.

using the hired mercs isn't as fun as getting Codexers.

You could do the same as the last JA2 LP, and use hired mercs but change their names to Codexers so you can larp shamelessly :M

Ashery

Prophet
Pity about the game breaking bug. Would've been nice to at least see Black's last stand.

Weapon wise, I was very impressed by the M16A1 assault rifle. It may not seem the most impressive stat wise, but I lost count of the times when my sniper IMP (95+ mark) would miss two shots in a row (aiming maxed on the first, two or three off max on second) at a decent range (40-50) only to have fucking MD (mid 70s mark) do 200+ damage with aimed autofire from the same range using an M16A1 (35 effective range). I'm not even sure why I bothered giving Ice a machine gun considering how well the M16A1s were doing.

I tend to favor the Glock 18 as a sidearm simply because it's a good blend of being fully automatic and fairly small. It's 0.2kg heavier than the PSM, but the modest increase in size is worth it. The entire rig (Holster, loaded G18, spare mag) weighs in at a mere 1.4kg.

Haven't had a chance to use many of your recommendations, though. Either because they're not yet available (Steyr ACR, MP7), ammo is too scarce (G11), or there's no cold ammo available for purchase (P90). Cold ammo's a deal breaker as I only bring out SMGs during night assaults. If I'm trying to be stealthy during the day, I prefer the M4 Commando due to it's quick ready speed and reasonable overall stats (Fun fact: The M4 Commando readies faster than the MP5A4; 3 to 4).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom