Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Lets Play the latest Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

LP it with HAM 5.0 Alpha at the risk of game-crashing bugs?

• Yes, better enemy AI and tougher to-hit chance spread patterns, come on!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Wait until HAM 5.0 is fully released to start this LP

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, I want a finished JA2 LP and I want it now.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • kingpincomrade

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Need brightness increase in night time screenshots.

Do people typically still go to Drassen first with the
counter attack
enabled? It's pretty rough if you're not save scumming.

Isn't it safer to go to that Jungle/Beach town first?

SoupNazi

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Wha? Where'd the NV goggles come up for Black's portrait?
It's a 1.13 feature since the last few releases. Sunglasses also appear on the portrait for some mercs.

No casualties yet?

sotd-disappointed.gif

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
to contribute to page two :

for both unpatched and 1.13, do you actually have to find items for they to appear in the map inventory or do they show up automatically? are you supposed to scavenge for stuff? when do firefights start getting quicker?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
until the game had a problem and exited
p. sure that's not how you say it in english
(it's that "program closed itself-orsomething" windows crash notice if anyone's wondering)

answer my question you faggots please people :M

Black

Arcane
You go, Bee-gurl!
Too bad that the Drassen counter-attack is enabled, it was short but eventful life :salute:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Another for the inevitable meat grinder:

JA2_With_HAM_PORT7.jpg

Indrick 'FUREH' Boreale
Male
Trait: Assertive
Disability: Psychotic
Major Traits: 2 Points in Deputy = Squadleader
Minor: Teaching

70 Health
70 Dexterity
85 Agility
60 Strength
85 Wisdom
85 Leadership
80 Marksmanship
0 Explosive
35 Medical
35 Mechanical

He should be good at training militia, so use him for that. Also, can train other mercs, if he/they survive long enough. Give him a shotgun or something and make sure he references the Codex Astartes for every manoeuvre.

Majestic47

Learned
It's my workplace account.
It kinda messes up the 'always logged in' setting when you use the same account on two different PC. I don't like that.

Cassidy

Arcane
Black said:
Where's mah update, fat man.

Delayed due to mass rape and by my stubborness against metagaming by going to Chitzena first. More specifically, although I've avoided save/loading during combat mode, I'm not sufficiently masochistic to do a full ironman and thus I had no limits on saving/loading outside of turn-based and I learned to hate the Drassen Airport level with passion. Yet in the end even with a full ironman things wouldn't have changed much: I'd have possibly made through Omerta, and would just sneak through instead of engaging enemy forces on the road. You'll see why there was no difference in this aptly named update.

By the way I can see the night images without problems, and I won't bother increasing their gamma. And finally, there will be a very important matter for you to vote about in the end of this update.

:M

Minor Spoiler: It's still early game and the mofos are already packing rifles with high powered scopes, assault rifles and even 7.62mm machineguns! Also damn the 10mm MP5 variant. It is total shit compared to the standard MP5 and its ammunition is never found anywhere but Bobby Ray's.

:yougonnagetraped:

============

Drassen Airport, End of Line

Bolt Thrower: Mercenary

OU83P.jpg

Ulminati got the MP5A4 instead of that 10mm pointless variant, which also led to a much more efficiently silenced weapon for him, to the point truly silent kills may actually become possible during night operations, allowing the enemies to be picked one by one without drawing the alert of an entire enemy base.

8nvzD.jpg

Although 25 enemies sounds not that much, reinforcements will arrive as soon as the alarm sounds, and thus, to being the liberation of Drassen, they will put their lives at a tremendous risk and face ridiculous odds.

LjQ1u.jpg

While they can count only on crappy SMGs with their 10mm ammunition fated to run out soon and with peashooters, their enemies are obviously packing. And this region is almost bare of safe places to force snipers to face them at close quarters. Most buildings are inside the enemy base and their entrances are in very well lit areas. There is one hope however of taking a tactically advantageous position: the darkness of the A.C.A. building rooftop could give the needed cover to get inside it, and also in itself provide a decent location to engage enemies as they would have to get up first and then get in close range to face the KKK.

KRtdZ.jpg

Wj29U.jpg

Ulminati claims the first kill, and thanks to the silencer it draws no attention to the team, which presence the enemies remain oblivious to.

ci04i.jpg

Another one is spotted by Bee. Ira and Ulminati, for being the stealthiest members of the team, sneak as close as they can for the killing.

KpdFB.jpg

bI6E3.jpg

But Ira peashooter lacks a silencer, thus Ulminati once again puts another enemy down without alerting the entire base, as they continue to sneak towards the ACA building.

kTDer.jpg

In one of their bodies, Femshep finds a smoke grenade, which will most likely be useful eventually in this battle.

ZlBt5.jpg

The airport entrance is predictably heavily guarded. Fortunately the Kodexers and Ira weren't yet detected, and thus they continue on their way.

d1vuF.jpg

However, it becomes clear they are running out of hiding opportunities.

PHWt8.jpg

Yet, they go patiently, watching patrols and avoiding combat for as long as they can, hopefully until they are in a tactically advantageous position. After all, not only they are obviously outnumbered, but also outgunned and out-ranged by their enemies.

67OhH.jpg

Eventually the shit seemingly the fan as they were just about to get near the ACA building, but fortunately they react faster and have the initiative. Everything will now get very nasty.

7VRce.jpg

Ulminati is given priority as the killer because he is the only one packing a silenced gun.

h5Eo4.jpg

That was close. Luckily it seems their shot didn't draw the enemy attention to their current position, although they most likely are aware of their presence by now. Ulminati provides cover as the team crawls as quietly as they can towards the ACA building.

HZmFL.jpg

Damn! That is it! No surrender! No retreat! If they move fast enough they shall emerge victorious!

GKONi.jpg

Ulminati does his best to cover the team's back, but for how long will he hold out such a threat?

6OlJq.jpg

Don't stand up, you'll just expose yourself to total slaughter if you do so! Keep moving!

cE3D7.jpg

Ulminati fights valiantly to buy time for their retreat to the rooftop.

jxius.jpg

Yet, he has limits.

VTxx3.jpg

And they were facing a fully-equipped ARMY with sidearms and SMGs only. Yet, somehow they managed to take a machinegunner down, who dropped his 7.62x51mm M1911 Browning machinegun on the ground. It's an old weapon but it's better than anything the mercenaries are currently packing. And unfortunately they can't risk their lives trying to grab it from the ground. And because things couldn't get any worse, Bee is severely wounded.

G5X7h.jpg

A thin thread hanging on a razor separates Bee from her death, as she was unfortunately too slow to keep up.

sXHYn.jpg

Ulminati brings them hell without making it obvious where he is. Bullets of revenge coming out of the darkness.

A1Ool.jpg

fR2Ez.jpg

Revenge for what was now inevitable. Irene "Bee" Honeychurch became the first casualty of this war. She will never be forgotten, for regardless of not being the most pleasant person around, she still ensured they made their way through here due to her keen eyes as a scout.

:salute:

RtFEF.jpg

RUN THE RAPETRAIN IS ACOMING!!!

ycriV.jpg

Darkness is pointless when the enemy has access to a near infinite supply of flares and breaklights. As the light comes in so come the prayers. It's too late already!

JcybD.jpg

Black runs desperatedly to the safety of darkness, and so do all of them. Their time will run out soon, they must climb to the rooftop immediately!

AtPAe.jpg

Unfortunately, Femshep was also too slow, and being EXTREME was of no help against such odds, in a location where the only place where they wouldn't be out-ranged by their enemies was so far away.

KjI3X.jpg

By pure luck the machineguns didn't finish them off right there, and then they realized those backpacks were a huge tactical hindrance a bit too late.

KjI3X.jpg

They climbed up as fast as they could.

IzxZf.jpg

And for Azira, that wasn't fast enough. Thus now Ira is the last hope of the survivors, whose morale is in the toilet after having half of their squad wiped out. Their odds are terrible, but they shall never surrender! For Azira! For Femshep! For Bee!

WaDFs.jpg

It doesn't take them much time for the realization that even laying prone near the center of the roof they are still vulnerable to snipers from below. But fortunately their shots are quite tough. It is obvious they must get down to the ACA building if they are to have even one chance against such unsurmountable numbers of superiorly equipped foes.

xamBi.jpg

Ulminati makes the fascist's head explode. This battle may unfortunately become more like a last stand, unless they perform in an impressive manner.

5hewg.jpg

7Neiz.jpg

Ira proves to be capable, saving the survivors.

V6kvF.jpg

They keep coming, and looking at the patterns a decision is made as it's obvious the three can't cover all the directions from where they enemies would climb up simultaneously.

5q4Xp.jpg

A small respite, most likely short-lasted, gives the opportunity for them to position themselves in a better defensive way. They can't however just wait the enemy to climb up, as Ulminati's life is hanging due to bleeding.

jNFFs.jpg

Thus shots are fired to draw their attention.

R031e.jpg

Yet the three were too slow to react and interrupt the thug. Luckily he did the foolish act of trying to kill Ira by just punching her, causing only small wounds and exposing himself to the slaughter.

OCpGw.jpg

After that, silence again. Looking around it seems the enemies decided to play a game of waiting. And then a window of opportunity shows up for them to get inside the building, where they would manage to draw far more attention and be safer from snipers, provided they position themselves in a good way due to the windows.

NGGbL.jpg

Starting with Ira, who opens the door, they quickly get down and inside, taking defensive positions in one of the smaller rooms, where they will force the enemy to got at point blank ranges to engage them. Hopefully they will this time interrupt all enemies first. Because any other casualty will surely mean total and certain defeat, the end of the last hope of freedom for Arulco. Ira fires a few shots to hopefully lure them in.

sQ6jC.jpg

And the plan works perfectly.

Fd5y4.jpg

However, after a pile of corpses ends at their doorstep, the enemies once again play a game of waiting, and even provocation shots don't draw them in. Meanwhile, Ulminati is getting worse. In everything, the enemies have the advantage. They will have to take a risk and position themselves in the main room of the ACA building.

QRDj2.jpg

They somewhat managed it.

065IL.jpg

Just in time as soon more enemies would be in range. They were all prone and very close to the walls, meaning snipers should have a hard time hitting them.

q7nM5.jpg

Ulminati however, due to his worsening state, makes a run for safety. He just cannot risk himself as there is now wall for him to hug and be safe from snipers.

rN0zz.jpg

He takes even another shot as he desperatedly tries to get somewhere they can't hit them.

OtbPa.jpg

But with luck, he managed it. By now it was clear. This was no longer a battle. At these odds, and considering how many bullets were left for the crappy 10mm SMG, this was more of a last stand. Later, Ira's position, even hugged to the wall, is proved too vulnerable, perhaps because those damn snipers are shooting at her through the walls, and thus she also ends having to retreat to somewhere safer, leaving only Black with a clear line of sight to the ACA building entrance for the moment.

mCqMJ.jpg

Ulminati bravely does what he can while still conscious to keep the enemies at bay. Their defense of the ACA building is definitively heroic. Should somehow they emerge victorious, then it would be both heroic, legendary and MAJESTIC.

as40i.jpg

Even if they don't, they will go down with a huge amount of notchs in theri guns.

WxrHK.jpg

Shit! Snipers bullets are getting through the wall, but luckily they lost most of their kinetic energy upon impact with the wall, and thus Black could still handle the pressure. The enemies surrounded the ACA building by now, as their last stand was about to reach its climax.

9oIfz.jpg

Now that must hurt! Ulminati continual bleeding incapacitated him. Now only Ira and Black remain in action, and Black's 10mm SMG has only one magazine left.

dUSIT.jpg

He'll make it count! Thus they will either go out as legends or die here.

D42AB.jpg

But, there comes a time in the last stand when those involved realize nothing short of a miracle shall save them, where it seems the enemies have too many reserves, and they run out of bullets first than their foes out of men.

This was such moment. Defeat after this turn of events was not just a maybe, but a total certainty, and then, without cash to hire more mercenaries, the entire operation would be over.

I won't do this battle all over again. No way in hell I'll redo this whole battle all over again. It was like hitting your own balls with a TASER.

THUS THE QUESTION, WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR ME TO DO?

a) Show everybody getting raped in the subsequent enemy turn and put an end to this LP

OR

b) Go popamole and cheat to not lose this battle, so I can show even worse rape later

Bros INSANE difficulty is fucking INSANE, maybe to a totally unplayable level without tricks like "hit and run". I busted it. This Airport level is horribly lacking in places that allow you to compensate the enemy weapons superior range, and I wasn't expecting them to be packing MGs and having so many snipers this soon. Maybe should've let the stay remain on the roof, although Ulminati was dying, it was impossible to cover all points enemies could climb from with the survivors and they started to ignore luring attempts over there.

At least it lasted longer than the Wizardry IV LP, if this is how you want it to end.

*edit: last screenshot fixed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Cheat, mang!

You can't let Ulminati die! BROs don't abandon BROs to sucking chest wounds, BRO!

Majestic47

Learned
I really wonder if it's a legit tactic if you kill a few guards, then retreat before any alarm is raised. That way, their positioning is reset, and often you can pick on the same stray patrols with impunity. I did that before with Blood - throwing knives + night ops = insta throw kills. Even if he failed to kill, he just retreats to the adjacent sector before returning.

Also: Why not full drop enabled?

Black

Arcane
I want a full JA2 1.13 LP so b)

But you have re-think your game, man.
8nvzD.jpg

With only crappy weapons and so little ammo for them? With no med supplies? WITH DRASSEN COUNTER-ATTTACK ON?!

Not even a team full of sheperds could do it.

pipka

Savant
a)
Die, man. You went for Insane , with normal Bobby Ray, 15K$ and without Drop All to boot. Of course, you wanted to be raped and TPK subsequently.

Re-Start in more "humane" conditions.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Restart with Drop All, tons of money, and unlocked Bobby Rays; just don't use Sniper rifles, and let the carnage begin.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cassidy said:
Revenge for what was now inevitable. Irene "Bee" Honeychurch became the first casualty of this war. She will never be forgotten, for regardless of not being the most pleasant person around, she still ensured they made their way through here due to her keen eyes as a scout.

Black said:
I want a full JA2 1.13 LP so b)

Yeah, this.

Roderick

Savant
Sitra Achara said:
Restart with Drop All, tons of money, and unlocked Bobby Rays; just don't use Sniper rifles, and let the carnage begin.

this but also using some mercenaries from MERC for fun

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Drop All is the only way to survive. Seriously. It's the only equalizer for your outnumbered mercs. And consider RETREAT as an option.

I recommend you run with no more than 6-10 custom mercs and the rest would have to come from AIM or MERCs.

Just to add some degree of limited personnel. That's all.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Cassidy said:
... totally unplayable ....

Maybe restart with mods. Like Aimnas or something, it has new maps and is therefore less boring to play

and watch

PorkaMorka

Arcane
a) Restart with different settings to compensate for the insane difficulty.

Also try different strategy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom