Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 35 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Lets Play the latest Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Cassidy, Nov 29, 2011.

?

LP it with HAM 5.0 Alpha at the risk of game-crashing bugs?

1. Yes, better enemy AI and tougher to-hit chance spread patterns, come on!

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Wait until HAM 5.0 is fully released to start this LP

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No, I want a finished JA2 LP and I want it now.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. kingpincomrade

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Ulminati SRB connoisseur Patron

Ulminati
    Click here and disable ads!
    Your new avatar is kinda unsettling CB. Those eyes seem to be following me from the monitor whenever I move about the room.
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'm watching you, watching you all!
    ^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
  4. Ulminati SRB connoisseur Patron

Ulminati
    And with me not wearing any pants...
    ^ Top  
  5. Black Arcane

Black
    Cough
    ^ Top  
  6. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Update coming Sunday or next week's Monday, I promise.
    ^ Top  
  7. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    [​IMG]

Dark Corners of Arulco

Unit 731

[​IMG]

They move slowly and quietly down to the dungeons of Tixa to face whatever foes and horrors await. Cautiously the Kodex Kool Krew take positions in a corner in preparation for fighting the remnants of the Deidranna thugs.

[​IMG]

It doesn't take much time for them to show up, probably startled by the noise. Once they came, everybody was ready to take them down swiftly, starting with Black.

[​IMG]

Who continues taking down more of them as they foolishly come out instead of biding their time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orgasm on the other hand takes care of that other side.

Eventually, they stop coming, and thus carefully black crawls behind some tables to take a look the the corridor to the west.

[​IMG]

He pulls it off perfectly, and another one goes down.

[​IMG]

The HEZI SM-1 is truly a worthy successor of the M1 Garand. Advancing cautiously and being patient, the Kodex Kool Krew manages to avoid the worst and to neutralize most of the enemy forces in this dungeon, probably a hall of horrors and terrible atrocities still to be seen.

The corridor to the west is way too exposed, and thus they decide to advance through the room to the southeast.

[​IMG]

Upon opening the door a fetid rot fills the air, as they witnesses immediately the marks of the unspeakable atrocities done in this place: two slabs drenched in blood of countless victims. From the amount of blood it can be imagined the kind of crimes against mankind that happened here. Definitively vivisections, mutilations and all kinds of brutality committed without any kind of painkillers given to their victims. If the surface of Tixa already hinted of horror, it was only the tip of the iceberg after all.

[​IMG]

Further west the nightmare becomes augmented. Shackles have mutilated stumps still hanging to them, everything is painted in blood: the walls, the floor, even the ceiling. Stretchers used for torture are lined up all around and filled with the red liquid. Cries, mutters and moans echo from the cells of the victims of this infernal place.

If the amount of torture devices is a sign of how many lives this horrible place has claimed, the crimes comitted in Arulco are truly enough to make viable comparisons with the holocaust and Nazis.

And on the end of the corridor the most horrid sight: a mutilated corpse of a woman laying naked on a table. Probably raped by some filthy savages under Deirdranna service, and below it a staircase leading down to a place of absolute darkness from where and even greater putrescence exhales. Even EXTREME Nails shivers when looking down, after all he is Claustrophobic, and Ulminati is also frightened, but not enough to refuse checking what lies there, for whatever it is, it must be dealt it for once and all.

But first, it is time to finish slaughtering the torturers. However to get in the room on the west end of the northern corridor, they would expose themselves. As proved by their first attack on Alma, most times the EXTREME SHEPARD method of opening a new door by blowing the shit out of a wall is the best tactic. And thus everybody gets in position as Nails plants a Dynamite next to the wall.

[​IMG]

It didn't open a way through the wall to get on the room to the other side, as obviously the walls here are way too reinforced, but it opened enough of a hole for the head of another redshirt to show up. There must be only a few left by now.

[​IMG]

And thus, having no other alternative, they slowly and cautiously advance to the final room. Unfortunately their caution is insufficient as the last goon surprises them and tosses a stun grenade at the team.

[​IMG]

Fortunately the stun grenade didn't harm Azira, who then finished off this foe.

[​IMG]

And thus, although exhausted, they finally managed to clear this corridor. Part of the team wanted to leave at that and seal that fetid hole going further down, but the minority of claustrophobics didn't make up the mind of the majority, and after Azira patched their minor wounds, they decided to look if the victims of this place had anything useful to say.

Another appropriate song

[​IMG]

First Azira went to a men who was all cuddled in fear and shivering, who barely could talk. Untold terrors left a mark in his mind and he retreated when Azira arrived, oblivious to the fact he was facing his liberator rather than torturer.

[​IMG]

Along his insane rambling and mostly nonsense, he begged to be killed first than to be eaten by "monsters" in this place... and there is only one place where monsters could exist, although hopefully he is just a person turned mad by countless abuses who is having delusions about torturers, who are no different from any monster, in truth.

[​IMG]

The other person who stood out along the victims was a boy, he looked out of place in this hellhole, and somehow, regardless of his wealth, he ended in this nightmare anyway.

[​IMG]

He was clearly glad to have witnessed his salvation, unlike the babbling madman on that other cell.

[​IMG]

Hey Trash! This is not Amsterdam!

:M

[​IMG]

What kind of parents would do such a thing to their own child? Truly Deirdranna holds the worst dregs of humanity to her side. The most cruel and petty indeed.

Furthermore, he agrees to support the effort in exchange for a very cheap pay. Although he is cheap too: actually useless, except he knows someone in Estoni and could set up a deal for selling fuel to the Kodex Kool Krew, which might mean Estoni could become a second helicopter base after Drassen, much closer to the final goal of this conflict.

And thus, after the boy gets some gear from the dead foes and joins Dynamo upstairs, the Kodex Kool Krew takes one last gaze into the abyss before descending there, with their weapons ready for maybe the madman isn't really mad.

[​IMG]

The stench is unbearable, and more worrissome, human bones are scattered in several places in these dark caves. It is obvious there is something wicked here, and although some prefer to think it's just some twisted cannibals, that isn't very likely. Cautiously, they position themselves near a tight passage, and weapons ready they wait, hearing many horrifying noises from the darkness.

[​IMG]

Is this some kind of sick joke?

[​IMG]

Unfortunately not, as Black finds out some horrifying monsters indeed down there, and they managed to take down the first of them, but those horrors are far from over.

[​IMG]

Bee gazed at the horror, and the horror gazed back. But first her sniper was carefully aimed at the thing. A horrific, slimy monstrosity that seemed to have spawned from the deepest pits.

The creatured not even flinched as the sniper rifle shot at it. Venomous blobs of acid were spat by the monsters at the team, and they continued firing.

[​IMG]

It was an experience they wouldn't forget so soon, but now, the entire city of Alma is at risk! More of these horrors lie in the depths of the mine of Alma, and the Kodex Kool Krew is wounded, yet they have no time to rest and recover. They must immediately head for the SAM site right to the North of Tixa, secure it so that Skyrider can arrive, and then bring them to Alma, to face a much greater quantity of these terrors.
    ^ Top  
  8. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Also I'd like for the (Drassen Airport) to be removed from the title.
    ^ Top  
  9. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    This game is so fucking great.
    ^ Top  
  10. Black Arcane

Black
    Can't you edit your first post or does this feature come in a Codex DLC?
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Seriously, how long can one be stuck fighting at the airport? Popamole next-gen decliners trying to play prestigious games :decline:
    ^ Top  
  12. Sky Novice

Sky
    I loved the first X-com and I kinda liked fallout tactics but I never tried Jagged alliance.
    Is Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire a good option or is better to go with the vanilla version?
    I would not install any mod aside from a 16:9 res mod (if there is one...)
    Any beedback would be appreciated

Best regards
    ^ Top  
  13. Thor Kaufman Arcane

Thor Kaufman
    Vanilla is better. Wildfire just has a lot of annoying features and is more difficult.
    ^ Top  
  14. The_scorpion Liturgist

The_scorpion
    Wildfire isn't really more difficult. It comes at a higher resolution, some quests are slightly botched, feature wise there's hardly any difference but they switched some good old ja2 mercs to shitty new self-made ones (and i know shitty new self-made ja2 mercs) so starting with Ja2 is the better option if you can deal with the low resolution.
    ^ Top  
  15. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    PM JarlFrank about it.

Also, onwards!
    ^ Top  
  16. Thor Kaufman Arcane

Thor Kaufman
    I thought the new mercs were only for the german version? Guess I remembered that wrong. They were indeed terrible, almost as bad as the german dub for JA2 UB.

Anyway, as for the difficulty, iirc enemies had farther sighting range than your mercs plus some sectors had really terrible design where it was almost impossible to conquer them without getting shot to pieces because of enemy cover and sighting range. That and not being able to repair scopes and armor, lamest thing ever.
    ^ Top  
  17. The_scorpion Liturgist

The_scorpion
    the new mercs came with WF6, WF5 didn't have them yet. But i guess the english version of WF6 also had new mercs.

perceived longer sighting range is probably a combination of concealment (high grass) and restrictions on facial gear drops (especially important for night ops) but not an integral feature of WF that would make it so distinctly different from Ja2. Armour and optics not repairable was lame, but at least has a certain element of plausibility on its side since you don't really repair kevlar (at all) or advanced optics with a tool kit.

as for the map design, see, if the modder decides to wall his soldiers into sandbags, then he also makes them easy prey for grenades... bunch of sandbags in a road block without NPC's is just begging to get grenaded :)

i had to discontinue WF5 due to a game breaking bug, but WF6 was okay-ish i think and if somebody is new to Ja2, he can try playing WF on an easier difficulty if needed. unlike other shit games that have only one difficulty but no FoV mechanics to compensate for it :smug:
    ^ Top  
  18. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    And it is back!

============

[​IMG]

I saw a landsquid yesterday...

Bishop's Countdown

[​IMG]

With no time to rest and many wounded, before departing the Kodex Kool Krew took several doses of POPAMOLE health regen to fix them up quickly, and afterwards they immediately headed towards the SAM Site, which they should hopefully arrive at while the sun still didn't fully rise, with Shank and Dynamo right behind them.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Gaskett, Ira, Dmitri and kingconrad take defensive positions near the Alma mine entrance, awaiting the many horrible creatures and ready to stop them from massacring the town.

However, kingconrad replies to the order they are supposed to just wait there while the "ELITE" is to arrive to clear the mines:

"DERP HERP HURR DURR U THINK U R ELITE?"

With his honor at stake he choses to lead his team into the depths of the infested mines for as long as they can.

[​IMG]

Something is stinking a lot there.

And not so shortly after they got inside...

[​IMG]

What if they came from outer space?

[​IMG]

Gaskett shares one of his most life-changing experience upon witnessing the Chigger, as Bee referred to those things. Wait, do we have a degenerate Kwa liberal sodomite right along the team? If he was Dutch we could probably call him Trash.

If it isn't obvious enough... Chigger = Chinese Nigger, something like wigger. Don't ask me the relation between those things and a Chinese trying to embrace THUGZ LIFE.

[​IMG]

Kingconrad tries to look professional when witnessing those things for the first time.

[​IMG]

Horrible creatures! Avoid them whenever you can!

[​IMG]

The monstrosities begin to charge against the four. They are holding their ground, for now.

[​IMG]

Kingconrad and Dmitri are pretty much the only ones here that truly know how to shoot accurately, and that is more than welcome considering the situation. These things are way worse than the bloodcats.

After a while, they stop coming, and thus the team goes on the hunt.

[​IMG]

Dmitri is seriously wounded by the claws of one of those landsquids. Fortunately the thing was promptly taken down after that, and Dmitri still can handle himself, after Ira gave him first aid. However Kingconrad in his ultimate wisdom didn't bring any spare magazines for his FN FAL, and thus had to get back outside to grab some.

With the outermost section of the mine cleared, they head deeper into the mine.

[​IMG]

Those things are everywhere, just like mudcrabs. The team continues with the tactic of holding their ground and not advancing much as the enemies have the upper hand but are willing to come at them first.

[​IMG]

Now that was a really close one. The inexperience of Gaskett and Ira is starting to show off but they still score hits more often than not. Believing it would greatly harm them Conrad tossed a frag grenade, but these creatures are too tough for grenades.

[​IMG]

One of the walking colons, chiggers, landsquids or whatever you want to call them spits a toxic and acid gas at kingconrad, who is fortunately only lightly wounded by it. Quickly he runs away from the gas while Ira takes down another one.

A poorly thrown mustard gas grenade ends being completely useless.

[​IMG]

This sector of the mine is at last cleared, but it came to a cost. Without gas masks the gas those things spit can instantly knock anyone out.

[​IMG]

Their lack of appropriate gear thus finally gets into kingconrad's thick skull as he orders for them to fall back to the mine entrance.

[​IMG]

And he also takes the opportunity to inform the head miner that Dynamo was freed.

Not that right now this will help much. The mines will only become operational again once those abominations are wiped out, one by one.

I wonder if Calvin Barkmore has any "unique" comment when it is the mine he controls that gets overrun by the landsquids.

[​IMG]

Mercenary

And fortunately, while darkness was still in, the team arrived at the SAM site. They couldn't goof around much, for the sun would rise shortly.

[​IMG]

Taking positions in the darkness, close to the checkpoint, they start their massacre.

And before you ask, long story made short I did something foolish when I was undecided on whether to give Ulminati the AWM, his current sniper rifle or another one I forgot the name of, I had to stop playing right in the middle of it, and in this I did the silly act of leaving all 10x scopes in the Humvee attached to other snipers and sending Ulminati to Tixa with an unscoped sniper rifle.

Although the OICW is not a bad weapon, just not his expertise.

[​IMG]

Having 20 tear gas grenades in a clip surely can be handy. And thus they continued shooting at the foes as they showed up, until there were no more dumbfucks along the survivors, and the remaining foes decided to wait for the team to come at them.

[​IMG]

Ulminati cuts some wires to open a path through the darkness for the team to get inside the site without being immediately spotted by everyone, and it seems this will be a complicated infiltration, for obviously there is a minefield there.

Thus EXTREME Nails comes first and check for all the mines near the gap, and once he identified all mines nearby, the team begins to climb over the building.

[​IMG]

Azira becomes the last one to climb, but first he puts down a curious Deirdranna grunt.

Taking positions to cover all directions, the await patiently. Not much, for soon a foe climbs in, which is quickly taken down. Then, suddenly:

[​IMG]

Holy shit they got a mortar! It is pure luck Black and Ulminati weren't raped right away.

Better to take down any potential spotter, and quickly!

[​IMG]

Fortunately silence returns, and the remaining enemies seem to afraid to try climbing up and coming at the Kodex Kool Krew. The dangerous hunt begins, and they better not give any split second for whoever is packing that mortar to react lest they die very quickly. (Can mortar-wielding foes get interrupts?[/yougonnagetraped])

[​IMG]

Another one down. And after that definitively the odds of more of them foolishly coming out of their covers is small. Carefully the team members begin to reposition themselves over the rooftop, getting closer to the edges to get down soon through an unlit spot.

Eventually all get down, and still no signs of more enemies. As it becomes obvious they are not coming any more, it is decided that the best Night Ops specialists, Black and Ulminati, will go ahead for the hunt.

[​IMG]

Black's SM-1 rifle proves itself again, and now their numbers are very small. Their victory is only a few more enemies, yet mistakes could still bring casualties to the team.

[​IMG]

After being lured by a grenade, yet another one is taken by Black's rifle. A through search is done and no more enemies are found outdoors. The last must be inside this large building which surroundings are partially mined.

[​IMG]

Black opens its front door, crawls and spots one of them on the other end of the room, but he feels queasy about advancing further, because if there is any enemy to his left, odds are he won't make it through. Instead, a tried and tested method of safely disposing of enemies behind walls will be used.

Kicking doors is for wussies... truly EXTREME men open new doors with explosions.

[​IMG]

First nearly killed by the explosion, the last thug dies easily, and victory is at last ensued in this site. Immediately Skyrider is called to arrive here and send the Kodex Kool Krew to the Alma Mine ASAP, for it has been over six hours since the four mercenaries under kingconrad tried with limited success to clean those mines.

But this time they won't fail. They will be packing enough to exterminate all those horrible landsquids and send them into the depths of Oblivion.

[​IMG]

Yet they must not forget that this SAM site won't be left undisturbed for much longer, but for now, securing the Alma Mine is a much more urgent priority.

Who knows how quickly those things can reproduce and spread if left unchecked?
    ^ Top  
  19. The_scorpion Liturgist

The_scorpion
    :salute:

wait for a while until the creatures get out of the mines. They're more interesting combat-wise when outside :p

btw. Calvin barkmore does indeed have a few unique comments if the creatures infest his mine and if you've read some Cleve vs. Wizardry-never-to-be threads, it may sound familiar what he sais...
    ^ Top  
  20. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    I was hoping they would show up before the main squad was ready.

I have an update ready but I really need page 14 because it has lots of images.
    ^ Top  
  21. Roderick Learned

Roderick
    bump for MOAR
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    :rpgcodex:
    ^ Top  
  23. Black Arcane

Black
    Bumpage.
    ^ Top  
  24. pipka Savant

pipka
    "Arewethereyet?" bump.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)