Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Lets Play the latest Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

LP it with HAM 5.0 Alpha at the risk of game-crashing bugs?

• Yes, better enemy AI and tougher to-hit chance spread patterns, come on!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Wait until HAM 5.0 is fully released to start this LP

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, I want a finished JA2 LP and I want it now.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • kingpincomrade

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Black

Arcane
Remember: katanas can slice through tanks. If someone has doubts, I will have to test it out in Meduna!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Katanas are for fags. Orgasm should carry a machete.

Proud to see the moles keep getting popped :salute:

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
bump
Tapeta_ja3d_04.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Man, still remember the excitement when Sir-Tech published the JA2 demo. Played it until my fingers bled. And then I had to leave my computer on for hours, so I could wait until nightfall and try how that worked out, as there was no time acceleration.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Man, still remember the excitement when Sir-Tech published the JA2 demo. Played it until my fingers bled. And then I had to leave my computer on for hours, so I could wait until nightfall and try how that worked out, as there was no time acceleration.
Same.
Didn't have the dedication to wait till nightfall but I was totally proud when I found the secret monster lair level.
The best demo ever. Cool mercs, good equipment and pretty optimal difficulty level.

Iirc the projected full version still took like one or two years because of debugging, yet when it was released was still so buggy that it crashed every five minutes. Sir-Tech really had a thing for practical jokes.:troll:

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Sup 1.13 AI improvement? Do you know why this enemy didn't shoot at Orgasm's back? Because he was stupidly staring at the wall just like

AI in 1.13 is fucked up. Start up JA2 1.12 or old builds of 1.13 (2085 seems to be pre-decline) and compare it to the newer releases. In older versions, enemies actually try to shoot you when they see you. In new 1.13 builds they tend to shoot your mercs much less often.

I have a big respect for the 1.13 team, but they seem to have the same problem Dwarf Fortress guy has. They kinda overlook the big picture while implementing lots of "features", most of which are pointless anyway. And nobody seems to notice that the AI is brain dead in each build since 2009 or so.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They are currently working on new AI, aren't they? I seem to remember hearing about it.

And even now it sometimes works well - I just got surrounded and pounded while advancing too quickly to take Drassen airport.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Some AI tweaks are present in HAM 5 if I recall correctly. Still, currently 1.13 is too bloated for me. Nowadays I prefer 1.12 or 1.13.2085 with XML modifications done by myself.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Sup 1.13 AI improvement? Do you know why this enemy didn't shoot at Orgasm's back? Because he was stupidly staring at the wall just like

AI in 1.13 is fucked up. Start up JA2 1.12 or old builds of 1.13 (2085 seems to be pre-decline) and compare it to the newer releases. In older versions, enemies actually try to shoot you when they see you. In new 1.13 builds they tend to shoot your mercs much less often.

I have a big respect for the 1.13 team, but they seem to have the same problem Dwarf Fortress guy has. They kinda overlook the big picture while implementing lots of "features", which are kinda pointless. And nobody seems to notice that the AI is brain dead in each build since 2009 or so.

yeah, it's become pretty bad in recent versions. Personally, i alternate between a mod based on 1.13 and one based on custom source code etc. and there's a world of difference when it comes to the AI. Some AI decision taking seems badly broken in 1.13 :(

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I think that it has something to do with HAM... Release 2085 is HAM-free and has AI working in order, release 3111 seems broken and already has HAM integrated. Also, I'm not a big fan of NCTH, NIV and some other new features.

yeah, it's become pretty bad in recent versions. Personally, i alternate between a mod based on 1.13 and one based on custom source code etc. and there's a world of difference when it comes to the AI. Some AI decision taking seems badly broken in 1.13 :(

Which "custom source" mod? I'd happily try something new.

Cassidy

Arcane
I got so used with these new features I don't feel like trying older versions. I hope newer versions can improve on bullshit AI although the situations involving overwhelming enemy numbers make the stupidity a blessing in disguise because otherwise lame exploits like sneaking in, killing a handful, retreating ad nauseaum would be almost mandatory.

NCTH is full of WTF. It is impossible to hit anything with a rifle in its effective range without a scope and it seems the AI either cheats around it or attachments roll separatedly in the 50% odd of drop from the guns they are attached into.

============

room101.jpg

Breaking the Prison of Tixa

GvOH1.jpg

After a stopover at Drassen to pick a Bobby Ray's Shipment, the team is dropped as far as Skyrider can without getting his helicopter blown up and through the powers of metagaming cheapness that is lamely justified due to the total lack of any in-game hint of how to get such an alternate means of transport, they head towards the unknown known.

yGELU.jpg

Along the way, Cleve warns them that the Drassen mine is running out because obviously Neanderthal miners are so more effective than manboons they can extract all ore from a mine much faster than the Kwanstains. With such source of income doomed to deplete soon, they cannot waste much time. After the victims of Tixa are freed and Orta cleared, they must head quickly to Meduna lest the funding runs dry and forces them to delay the plan by seizing control of another enemy mine.

KYxYp.jpg

Then along the way, they get in the crossfire between puddycats and Deidranna redshirts. Rapidly they react.

w94UV.jpg

Orgasm slices one of the creatures before it could threaten them. Unfortunately, by doing so she exposes herself to enemy snipers, is this the end?

QHBkG.jpg

By pure luck, it didn't kill her, but she now lies on the verge of death. Azira must tend her soon or she will die.

3cZPU.jpg

The rest of the team does their best to eliminate all the threats.

PHYbz.jpg

They prioritize the redshirts as the puddycats will as likely attack them as they will attack the Kodex Kool Krew.

zxPgu.jpg

Slowly their threat diminishes, but they remain numberful. Legions advance together and start to get dangerously close. Their overwhelming numbers could lead to the doom of the team.

3gyBo.jpg

Nails fortunately had one powerful weapon of

:decline:

The Avatar of Decline thus unleashed could bring the solution to such threat. The FN SCAR of all Modern Gayfares has the best underbarrel grenade launcher.

Do you know why?

That is so obvious, because when in a popamole shit you can carry only two weapons no matter what, you can't have the luxury of packing a grenade launcher and an assault rifle separatedly and thus an AWESOME grenade launcher already attached to a rifle speeds up POPAMOLE and is of essence to such a symbol of shit consoletard FPSes and popamoles as the FN SCAR!

:M

3gyBo.jpg

2eap3ly.jpg

Nails was even behind the cover of a bush when he did it, truly honoring the legacy of the FN SCAR.

y9A59.jpg

And as the number of moles increased, another grenade, this time of tear gas, went into the moles to pop them down again.

And I forgot to mention Bee also had luck just like Orgasm did. With the chaos of the tear gas the enemies dispersed and became easy targets for the Kodex Kool Krew behind cover.

46qll.jpg

And along the slaughter, Black's new weapon proved its usefulness. the HEZI SM-1 is essentially a modern version of the venerable M-1 Garand. By its own its particularly unimpressive. Some SMGs have similar effective range except they can't be fitted with 4x scopes and the vast array of improvements this weapon supports, including most importantly support for being adapted with a 3-round burst mode, that funnily, due to the internal action of this particular weapon, functions similarly to the G11 and AN-94 burst modes: all bullets fired under such burst are almost totally guaranteed to hit the same place under a skilled marksman. Combined with the natural skill of Black with such types of rifles, it proved superior so far in his hand compared to conventional ARs.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2800/2803.htm

And of course, like the TAR-21 and WTC, guess who did this rifle?

:M

The battle continues, but the enemy forces were already broken.

mWjSI.jpg

Although many got seriously wounded, another victory too. And lots of loot. A car trunk would be very useful right now, and that is why they are going somewhere else than Tixa. Due to the awareness a mine will soon dry out, and the danger of new patrols on that road, they decide to risk getting there wounded.

IRYbX.jpg

To make things even better, it's raining which means the engagement will be deadly and very dangerous.

IRYbX.jpg

Thus they take advantage of eliminating as many enemies as possible in the most silent way while they can.

They get closer to that place that looks like some long derelict gas station, always very carefully. Surprising the enemies they begin their attack.

4e1rb.jpg

But the enemies also surprise them, a suppression fire could have easily killed one of them if they made any wrong move. Having spotted the source of the firing, Nails has an idea.

0sFLU.jpg

Even without a visual, he fires a tear gas grenade there, neutralizing the machinegunner.

WICix.jpg

Other foes get dangerously close, only to be mutilated by a fragmentation grenade Orgasm threw.

HAPqs.jpg

This was one of the most tense battles they ever fought, but at last the area is clear.

THwFg.jpg

The owner of the place, a bold and enterprising Kwa who went there back when Arulco was a touristic hot spot, has a car for sale. He's probably both desperate because nobody else will want to buy it considering the situation of Arulco, and being generous for his own benefit as he knows that if the mercenaries put Deirdranna in her place his business will flourish again. He asks for them to wait a day while he makes some adjustments to get the car ready for use. Azira decides to heal everyone while they wait.

r3War.jpg

Meanwhile, mobile militias achieve another victory, but at a cost. It has been decided to not replenish their losses due to their high upkeep costs being a hindrance, specially now that the Drassen mine is running out.

Eventually the car is ready, and everyone is also healed. Unfortunately they discover that if they go through the way the car can cross they will have to fight 30 soldiers before even reaching Tixa. Thus they take a detour on foot to get straight to their goal.

EFfjG.jpg

After enduring the desert heat and coldness, at night, they arrive. Ahead they spot a small house separated from the main compound. Someone must live there, obviously, Perhaps it's the home of someone who works in this place, and thus naturally worth checking out.

Sneaking in the small house they find some kids and a disgruntled man. The man introduces himself as the husband of the prison warden, and tells them she is as much of a bitch as Deidranna, if not more and that he married her just for the cash. More importantly, he gives the key to her office so they can get inside the prison through the back entrance, and mentions something on how the sociopathic bitch installed an AWESOME BUTTON that unleashes tear gas all over the prison, and more importantly:

5XzLq.jpg

He gives a very useful hint to help wiping out the guards inside the compound. Those outside of course won't be affected.

Instead of trying to get in the office through the well lit path, they get back through the hole in the grate and move northeast, to sneak through a less well lit area.

r87mt.jpg

Ulminati carefully observes the movement of enemy patrols, measuring a possible opportunity to sneak in. After some minutes the team quietly sneak and stick to the walls, when finally Ulminati unlocks the office door, taking the warden by surprise as he throws a stun grenade at her.

DXncP.jpg

Bitches gonna bitch.

But another enemy inside hits Ulminati, while the team rushes to defend him, a short engagement happens where they are neutralized, but by now it's a matter of time before more of them come.

jNoif.jpg

Even wounded, Ulminati reaches the AWESOME BUTTON and turns it on. As he ditched his gas mask not expecting to use it much as a sniper and having more useful things to store than it, he would stay in the office, with the entrance door closed, and guard it against enemies getting in until the tear gas ran out.

yxVJX.jpg

Azira gives the killing blow to the sociopathic bitch.

a26fa.jpg

Another one tries to take them but is surprised before he could even try. Ulminati warily watches the office's door while Azira tends to his wounds.

3yXgC.jpg

They position themselves close to the windows so they can take down enemies on the outside from an advantageous location. Nails tensely picks the lock to the northern door while Orgasm standsnext to him ready to engage whatever is on the other side.

PHKc3.jpg

For strange reasons, perhaps related to the not so good condition of her gas mask, Bee suddenly falls to the ground. Meanwhile Nails finally opens the door, and an enemy is right there. Black worrily realizes how easily he could be overwhelmed but does not give up.

168Or.jpg

He pops someone's head off as the start of a glorious reaction that inflicts many casualties.

Fg2l2.jpg

Both him and Orgasm take positions near the grated windows to engage outside threats. With the gas dissipated, Ulminati also gets on the main corridor and prepares to engage any enemies at the southern windows.

xAW4P.jpg

One of them opens the door to the office. It was the last action he did while his head was still attached to his neck. The battle rages on violently and the Kodex Kool Krew wisely refuses to come out of their advantageous position.

CAHY9.jpg

Considering the number of enemies showing up it was already obvious. Perhaps it would have been wiser to have engaged the 30 redshirts on the road to Tixa separatedly, but now it's done Besides this would not be the first time they had to face overwhelming numbers.

They shift positions: Nails and Bee will head to the southern windows to engage enemies on the outside. Azira and Ulminati will take down enemies coming from the north and from the office respectively while Orgasm and Black watch their west.

XFibI.jpg

Nails unleashes a devastating burst, taking down two enemies at once.

yVFwl.jpg

Bee adds another one to the increasingly masssive piles of corpses outside.

ljHau.jpg

Many enemies show off at near point-blank range, but fortunately redshirts lack the accurate reflexes of an EXTREME BIKER SHEPARD veteran of the Great Nordic Biker Wars so manly EXTREME he refuses to wear body armor and of a Crooked Bee that enjoys sniping crotches.

zuuHf.jpg

The SM-1 proves to be a mighty weapon in Black's hands, taking down many of the enemy forces. Sometimes even one shot only suffices while from longer ranges where certain headshots are difficult the accurate bursts pierce through body armor like butter even in the .30 caliber.

SKGv6.jpg

Courtesy of the modern child of the most common weapon in D-Day and of an awesome Ranger like those Texas Rangers from that movie starring that man whose facts are so beaten like a dead horse they don't deserve further mention.

Eventually they give up coming to the team. Azira cautiously crawls near one of the northwest windows to see if he could spot more of them.

hTAtq.jpg

He does.

zsA66.jpg

Twice.

Q0ila.jpg

:yeah:

And after that one had his head surgically removed with a burst of 5.56mm rounds, the rest although dangerous were few, and carefully the team hunted and wiped them out.

RjrXM.jpg

When the sounds of battle ended and the Mercenaries made their one-liners about the defeated enemies, a cheer echoed through the west. Nails went there and unlocked all cells. Azira then spoke loudly on how they should head east to Alma, where they would find safety and freedom, and on how even if they died in the desert along the journey, it was still better than to stay in such hellhole, but most important of all, he found the man they came here to rescue.

GtZkS.jpg

Battered and with clear signs of the unspekable tortures he suffered under such hellish prison, as obviously pointed out by the large amounts of bloodied shackles on walls, of which one had a disturbingly decapitated hand still attached to it, the man couldn't believe. Dynamo although lacking in cybernetic augmentations was still, in spirit, a fellow Cybernegro.

:salute:

No surprise he is so good at fixing electronics.

rA2fu.jpg

Azira tells him that they can't really risk staying in this place as it is, after all, they know there are even deeper basements of greater horrors than what the surface shows, of true Rooms 101. The entrance to this prison would deserve being inscribed with the infamous "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" or with the even more infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei".

06xLj.jpg

Looks like what is happening in Syria times grimdark.

yTMK3.jpg

I mean, times over 9000 grimdark. This place must be pretty much a Hell on Earth if Dynamo isn't making it up. Although the mutilated hand and arm stump in a shackle and the amount of blood in the walls says a lot already. Not surprisingly, the Cybernegro is willing to join the team for a small price of $50 per day. Although Azira expected he to be willing to work for free against Deirdranna, he felt pity for such poor victim of utmost tyranny. Dynamo would wait for them as he got some gear from the dead enemies, an OICW integrated assault rifle and grenade launcher, full body armor, some grenades, some ammo and a tool kit, and he went outside to train a bit his currently poor marksmanship skills, while Azira explained they couldn't just left behind those deeper in the even more hellish sublevels of this prison.

llvXn.jpg

Downstairs was dark and brooding. They decided to press on as they knew time was of essence for everything. They would descend into the deepest pits of this Hell called Tixa, and in the beginning of these stairs going down they could probably imagine the message even more clearer:

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

What they found beneath Tixa will be a tale for another update.

Besides after it it'll be only Orta and then Meduna itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom