Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Teenagent

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I do have most of the screenshots for the next update and all the text I will need in .txt file but before I will be able to make an update out of it...

Let's meet the devs

Metropolis Software is definitely one of the most important companies in the history of Polish gaming. It was found around 1992 by three people Adrian Chmielarz, Grzegorz Miechowski and Andrzej Michalak (yeah, try to read it). The first title they have developed, Tajemnica statuetki (Mystery of a Statuette) was a brief of a fresh air - the first Polish point-and-click adventure, and quite a good one at the same time - and sold in amazing number of 5000 copies (yes, it was considered huge then). Later, the company continued producing adventures, like Teenagent and The Prince and the Coward but also tried different genres. Without success - the only other title worth mention I can think of is Gorky 17, also known as Odium. After producing Infernal, a mediocre shooter, they were bought by CD Projekt in 2008 and hoped this transaction will allow them to take their newest FPS project to a new level:

Grzegorz Miechowski said:
This deal is great news or Metropolis. Thanks to this fusion, we have come together to become the developer with the biggest potential in this part of Europe. We will develop our future games on a grand scale - a scale which, in Poland, was previously only available for The Witcher. I believe that thanks to CD Projekt's support, THEY will have the chance to take the FPS genre by storm, just as The Witcher did in the RPG genre.

Sadly, CD Projekt decided to close this studio a couple months ago although it will probably be reopened.

Out of the three co-founders two were also working also on Teenagent while Andrzej Michalak left the company:

Adrian Chmielarz (script) - widely acknowledged as the mastermind behind success of Metropolis and the first star of Polish gaming as a man with vision of making games that we wouldn't be ashamed to show abroad and a columnist for one of Polish gaming magazines. He left Metropolis in 2002 to find People Can Fly and create Painkiller.

Grzegorz Miechowski (script, animations) - the only person who were with the company from the beginning to the end but far less famous than Chmielarz. I think he's still working for CD Projekt.

The last of the men responsible for script was Andrzej Sawicki - fantasy/sci-fi books translator who got his nickname General (or El General Maginifico/EGM) from friends because they were sure the rank he got serving in army was not enough for such a great man. But it wasn't translating or his work on Teenagent which made him known by all the fans of computer games around here. He became recognised as the expert on adventure games and one of the best reviewers in Poland for his work in CD-Action. While his reviews probably wouldn't satisfy Codex criterions of perfect articles as they were often overly enthusiastic (even his co-workers from a mainstream gaming mag thought the ratings were too high) they were informative enough and were written with exceptionally vivid language. He quit from CD-Action last year. The official reason were health problems but it wasn't long before the real ones (mostly chief editor's huge changes in his reviews and money) were shown public thanks to his son's whining on a message board which evolved in an epic drama of argue between EGM and the chief editor.

Adam 'Scorpik' Skorupa (music) - his involvement in creating music for computer games started because of becoming famous on local Amiga demoscene. Created music for most of the important Polish games, including Metropolis Software's titles, Painkiller and The Witcher. What's interesting, he's also responsible for the intro music played in Avernum 5.

Gulash, Martinez, Wicik and Alex - "voice actors" and editors from Secret Service, the best gaming magazine we had here (in before Gambler/Top Secret fanboys). Let's say I like version without voice acting better although at its time it was something that impressed players in Poland.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
The last of the men responsible for script was Andrzej Sawicki - fantasy/sci-fi books translator who got his nickname General (or El General Maginifico/EGM)

Interesting, I didn't know about that.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
teenagnt_214.png

mark.png
'COFFEE'

teenagnt_410.png

bartender.png
Hot, wasn't it?

mark.png
Uh-huh. The captain says you're gonna tell me about the third task.

bartender.png
Again... Well, it's kinds hide'n'seek. The captain hides, you seek.

mark.png
But I left him tied to a chair.

bartender.png
That man and his sick games... He enjoys it more than he should. He cheated you. Go and check. I'm sure he's already free.

mark.png
But I took his knife! How could he cut the ties?!

bartender.png
Maybe he walked away with the chair tied to his...

mark.png
Never mind. Any hints about where he might hide?

bartender.png
None.

mark.png
Oh, c'mon.

bartender.png
No, boy, Play fair.

The doors on the left probably leads to captain's hideout. The only other place I could place my bet is the tent but it would be too easy if he were there.

teenagnt_270.png

bartender.png
Hey, keep away from this door!

teenagnt_272.png
teenagnt_271.png

I think it is less disgusting than looking for valuable items in a trash bin but it's only me.

teenagnt_273.png
teenagnt_274.png

Anyway, there was a rope in here which can be tied to a grenade.

teenagnt_276.png
teenagnt_277.png

teenagnt_278.png
teenagnt_279.png

teenagnt_280.png
teenagnt_281.png

teenagnt_282.png
teenagnt_283.png

teenagnt_284.png
teenagnt_285.png

teenagnt_286.png
teenagnt_287.png

teenagnt_288.png

It doesn't work, let's check why.

teenagnt_289.png
teenagnt_290.png

teenagnt_291.png
teenagnt_292.png

teenagnt_293.png

Now we can take some pills (intact) from the drawer and mix them with crumbs.

teenagnt_295.png

Which we will use to drug a bird.

teenagnt_296.png
teenagnt_298.png

teenagnt_301.png
teenagnt_302.png

teenagnt_304.png
teenagnt_305.png

teenagnt_308.png
teenagnt_311.png

teenagnt_312.png
teenagnt_313.png

teenagnt_314.png

After Mark has hidden the bird in his pants, we can prepare to poison another target, the bartender, a mug of mud will be good for him.

teenagnt_322.png
teenagnt_321.png

We'll try the other way.

teenagnt_315.png
teenagnt_316.png

teenagnt_318.png
teenagnt_319.png

Now that Mark fell in the mud he can fill the mug. But why was he afraid of doing it from the shore and not of climbing above the pond?

teenagnt_325.png
teenagnt_327.png

teenagnt_328.png
teenagnt_330.png

teenagnt_334.png
teenagnt_336.png

teenagnt_338.png
teenagnt_339.png

teenagnt_341.png
teenagnt_342.png

teenagnt_345.png
teenagnt_346.png

And pass out he did, we're free to go.

teenagnt_347.png

Now find a difference between these two pictures:

teenagnt_353.png
teenagnt_354.png

Well, it is much easier in motion and with not so small picture but one of the holes in the barrels is blinking.

teenagnt_357.png
teenagnt_358.png

Finger in an eye!

teenagnt_359.png
teenagnt_360.png

teenagnt_361.png
teenagnt_362.png

captain.png
You... you... have passed, sir!

teenagnt_365.png

mark.png
And it was even fun.

skinner.png
I'm glad you liked our training methods. But let's get to the point. I must admit I didn't believe you could actually help. Nothing personal.

mark.png
I hope so.

skinner.png
But you brought us luck. Our people found out that some businessman is spending money like crazy for some strange materials. There are three very suspicious things about him! He pays in cash, which is very strange in a plastic card century. Second, half a year ago he wasn't nearly as rich as he is now. Third, what the hell does he need 100 kg of borax for?

mark.png
Maybe he's just a weirdo.

skinner.png
Maybe. But I want you to fly to the place and try to sneak inside his mansion to find some more information. What do you say?

mark.png
Well...

skinner.png
I promise you'll be an official secret agent after this mission.

mark.png
Promise?

skinner.png
My word of honour.

mark.png
Okay. I'm ready. Where am I supposed to go?

skinner.png
It's a little village. You wan't find it on many maps... But before you go, let me give you some special agent equipment.

skinner.png
I would give you some boots to make you fly, but I've lent them to somebody.

skinner.png
The mega-power gaunlets are also out of stock.

skinner.png
As a matter of fact I only have special super glue. Well, that's better than nothing... Good luck!

lightbane

Arcane
That captain sure was EXTREME for the year the game was launched. Also, I never knew the devs were so much epic people, a shame that nowadays anyone working on a videogame company is mostly a drone slave to EA/Zenimax/whatever''s directives' whims or worse.

Toxic Avenger

Educated
I remember having lots of fun with this game as a kid. And yeah, Secret Service was the shit, though it declined (just like codex) and spawned lots of drama.

dragonfk

Erudite
Toxic Avenger said:
I remember having lots of fun with this game as a kid. And yeah, Secret Service was the shit, though it declined (just like codex) and spawned lots of drama.

Another Pollock detected! There's too many of them! Bring on the deratization squad!

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Seems I have no choice... Anyway, I'm not sure if I give you any update today because I'd like to make some plan regarding the sequence of my next ingame actions - the next chapter is rather open and I wouldn't like to have every other action desribed like this: "remember that item I found 100 pictures ago and joined with another one 50 pics later? now is the time to use it".

Well, maybe I will post some jokes I have missed in the training camp.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Yay, Teenagent! One more vote for scaling up to 2x the current size. Also, a little suggestion - certain screenshots may work better as animated gifs, like that sequence with the grenade for instance.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
No real update yet but we will go back to the previous stage to show a fairly amusing dialogue with the bartender that can be started only if you talk to him before learning the password, spot a cultural refference and see a teaser of the next chapter.

mark.png
Hello, sir. I'm Mark.

bartender.png
What a pity you're not a dollar. What can I do for you?

mark.png
You can give me a lot of money... or you can do a headstand... or...

bartender.png
Okay, okay, it's a tie. So?...

mark.png
Who's else in the camp?

bartender.png
You're a journalist?

mark.png
No, I'm a secret agent.

bartender.png
You too? Anyway, there are only three man. Me, the captain and the guard.

mark.png
No woman?

bartender.png
No cry.

mark.png
Erm, well... Not much of a rush on, is there?

bartender.png
Do you want to order something or not?

mark.png
I don't have money.

bartender.png
Today's free.

mark.png
Really?

bartender.png
Really.

mark.png
I want a hot-dog.

bartender.png
Miss.

mark.png
Pizza?

bartender.png
Miss.

mark.png
Toast?

bartender.png
Miss.

mark.png
Anything?

bartender.png
Miss.

mark.png
No, thank you. I'm not hungry.

----------

Do you know Salt-N-Pepa hip hop trio? I don't ;) but I have read the descriptions on the boxes found in the store are reffering to it:

teenagnt504.png
teenagnt505.png

teenagnt502.png
teenagnt503.png

Unfortunately, it was impossible to translate the original joke. In the Polish version the boxes were described as "pieprz" and "nie pieprz" which can be both translated as both "pepper", "not pepper" and "talk bullshit", "don't talk bullshit".
----------

Time for sightseeing; when Mark arrives at the village, he stops next to the lake.

teenagnt411.png

Path to the right leads to a guarded mansion. Presumably, there lives our suspect.

teenagnt412.png

From there we can go to a location with a beehive and some kind of vault...

teenagnt413.png

...or choose a road around the mansion.

teenagnt414.png

teenagnt415.png

To the left from the lake we can find an abandoned house.

teenagnt416.png

The last path from the lake leads to the centre of the village.

teenagnt418.png

There is a field behind the house...

teenagnt419.png

...while going further the road takes us to another house...

teenagnt421.png

...and to a cave.

teenagnt422.png

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Here's a next one for ya' with the first atempt at getting inside the mansion. It starts slowly but gets really lulzy later. :D

You can tell the game is made by a Polish company because in order to complete it, player has to steal from a car. Stealing from cars is our second most popular national hobby while stealing cars is the most popular one. True story.

teenagnt_423.png

There's a comb in here (the small orange item) which usage I can't remember at the moment but what is the most interesting for us at the moment is a lever that opens a trunk.

teenagnt_425.png

teenagnt_426.png

Inside of which we find a toolbox.

teenagnt_427.png

Thankfully the toolbox is open so we can take anything we need from it.

teenagnt_428.png

teenagnt_429.png

Equipped with a car jack we can check what can be found under the stone here.

teenagnt_430.png

teenagnt_433.png

teenagnt_435.png

teenagnt_437.png

We have found a bone!

teenagnt_438.png

If we give it to the dog, he will surely forget that he shouldn't allow us to go to the cellar.

teenagnt_439.png

teenagnt_440.png

teenagnt_442.png

teenagnt_443.png

teenagnt_444.png

teenagnt_446.png

mark.png
It's kinda dark here.

Mark will keep saying it's too dark to see anything so we can't examine anything here but try to take a shovel.

teenagnt_447.png

mark.png
I can see... there's a... SPIDER!!!

teenagnt_451.png

teenagnt_455.png

mark.png
Not that I'm chicken. It's just that it could be a mutant spider and it could bite me and I'd get mutant too... and I'd have to wear those funny gloves and stuff... and I'd have a double life... and I'd have to fight Venom (TM) and others and I might get hurt... and everybody would be making money on but me... I think I'll pass then.

The solution to our little problem is closing the manhole...

teenagnt_463.png

mark.png
Wow! This must have shaken all the nearby walls!

...and opening it again. After that a switch becomes visible.

The spider runs into hiding.

mark.png
Yes, I could take this... It's a quiet little village... No police... Noone will hear their screams... But I don't have a hockey mask. (sigh)

mark.png
Let's look what we've got here. 'Strawberry jam'. 'Goosberry jam'. 'Blackberry jam'. 'Billberry jam'.

mark.png
Get me out of this jam!

mark.png
Oh, and there is 'Rosemary jam'. I used to know someone called Rosemary.

Ok, we take the shovel so we can try to get to the mansion.

mark.png
I could play digger with it.

mark.png
At least I found crude-oil and I'll be rich.

But there's not much oil and it stops sinking quickly.

mark.png
That's my life.

Meanwhile at the mansion...

Sir, we have been informed that...

Later! I'm busy right now.

As you wish, sir.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom