Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II: THE SITH LORDS

Coma White

Educated
647342-kotor2box.jpg

"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

What is this?

This is a play through of STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II: THE SITH LORDS (henceforth known as KOTOR II).

KOTOR II was developed by Obsidian and published by LucasArts for the original Xbox in late 2004 and for the PC in early 2005. It is the sequel to BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic, which was released in 2003. The original KOTOR had its charms, but it's often-derided here on the Codex as being a popamole romance-sim. And it kind of is.

KOTOR II is a little popamole as well. But it's also a lot more than that. And it's definitely not a romance-sim.

Why should I care?

You might not. But hear me out, and then decide:

KOTOR II is the brainchild of MCA, who was lead designer on the game. In many ways, it is a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Many of the themes and archetypes explored in that game are expanded upon or overturned here. It's also often considered a deconstructionist approach to Star Wars -- it takes many preconceived notions and elements of the setting and twists them. KOTOR II tells a bleak, personal story. In many ways it's a lot darker than PS:T.

KOTOR II suffers from having experienced a notoriously rough development cycle, and the game was originally shipped in a glitchy and unfinished condition. Many of these problems have since been corrected with the incredible and well-known Restored Content Mod. Playing with this mod is mandatory, and we will be using it for this play through.

KOTOR II is the ultimate storyfag game. It's incredibly well-written and features some of the most memorable companions ever designed. It also has problems: it runs on the same version of the Aurora engine the first KOTOR ran on, and it shares the same spergy combat system. The endgame also suffers from rushed development. In spite of these flaws, KOTOR II is #19 on the Codex's top 50, and I feel it deserves the spot.

Who the fuck are you?

I'm just a fag who really likes The Sith Lords for what it is. I wasn't able to find a single LP of this game on the Codex, so here's mine.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Character Creation

Prologue

The Ebon Hawk Adrift

Act I: Peragus

Part One: Kreia
Part Two: Not So Long as for You to Forget
Part Three: Atton
Part Four: T3-M4
Part Five: The Mining Tunnels
Part Six: HK-50
Part Seven: Crazy, Even for a Jedi

Last edited:

Coma White

Educated
Character Creation

y78DiDs.png

LucasArts -- we miss you. Good night, sweet prince.

toubKJ9.png

Obsidian circa 2004 -- we miss you. Good night, sweet prince.

14dDJsU.jpg

STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Restored Content Mod: locked and loaded. Resolution and UI scaled for modern setups -- thanks Aspyr!

We're greeted by a zombie wearing black pantaloons. One of our Sith Lords, perhaps? Let's smash NEW GAME and find out.

P0BNfVp.jpg

Time to create our character (hereafter known as the EXILE -- more on this later). Unlike the first KOTOR, we begin this game as a
24px-KotORII_Feat_Force_Sensitive.png
Force Sensitive character. There are three classes to choose from:

JEDI GUARDIAN: The front line smashers. Lots of Feats, very few Skills, and a whole lotta wallop. Gains the fewest Force Powers of all three classes. Can
24px-KotORII_Feat_Force_Jump.png
Force Jump to immediately close on distant enemies -- a powerful ability, as the Guardian really excels when he's up-close-and-personal.

JEDI CONSULAR: The Force-wielding casters. Very few Feats, some Skills, but
24px-KotORII_Power_Force_Lightning.png
Force Lightning for days. Gains the most Force Powers. Possesses
24px-KotORII_Feat_Force_Focus.png
Force Focus, which makes his offensive Powers harder to Save against -- useful, because even the most defensive Consulars will want to induce death-by-Force.

JEDI SENTINEL: Middle-of-the-road. Some Feats, but lots of Skills. Gains more Powers than the Guardian, but fewer than the Consular. Also has the best base Saving Throws in the game. Has
24px-KotORII_Feat_Force_Immunity_Fear.png
Force Immunity, which grants immunity to various harmful status effects.

For this play through, we'll be playing as a female Jedi Consular (recommended for advanced players only -- lel, that's us).

yMnnAyQ.jpg

We can choose to create a QUICK or CUSTOM CHARACTER. As far as I can tell, Quick Character just makes a bunch of "recommended" choices which turn out to be terrible and will gimp your character. Obviously we'll be going with Custom.

7355QxN.jpg

Meet our Exile! She looks a little stoned here -- let's give her some smarts to fix that:

we4QBsr.jpg

Our Attributes: they work on a point-buy system. You'll no doubt have noticed this game runs on a Star Wars Edition (tm) of D&D Third Edition rules. Attributes, Skills, Feats, etc. If you know how that system works, then you'll have a pretty solid grasp on how to build a solid character and develop decent companions in KOTOR II.

For the record, we have chosen:

STR: 10 (We won't be hitting much, but as a Consular we don't care much.)
DEX: 12 (This would be 14 if not for Implants -- see below. A positive bonus will lend us some added defense though.)
CON: 12 (Would be 10 if not for Implants. Implants in this game have a CON requirement to equip. This way we may be able to at least wear SOMETHING.)
INT: 14 (For the Skill points. More on Skills in a moment.)
WIS: 16 (Most important stat for a Consular. Gives us more Force energy, and makes our offensive Powers harder to Save against.)
CHA: 12 (Improves Persuade, improves our Powers, and makes our companions do more damage -- not bad.)

aOeXjUZ.jpg

Our gal is pretty skilled -- for a Consular anyway. 14 Intelligence gives us a whole 16 skill points to distribute.

In the original KOTOR, Skills were essentially useless. This is not the case in KOTOR II. Not only are they occasionally checked in dialogue (<3 MCA), but they also affect our ability to craft items. Loot in KOTOR II is RANDOMLY GENERATED, and most of the best items are crafted as opposed to found. The more skilled our party is, the better items we'll be able to make.

Note we've opted to place 4 points in Computer Use (a cross-class Skill) as opposed to Treat Injury (a class Skill for Consulars). This is because there are some story elements (and hefty rewards) to dialogue options later in the game which can ONLY be accessed through Computer Use. And with our starting Feat, this will no longer be an issue. And thanks to our Force Powers, we shouldn't want for healing anyway.

kvMS9Ob.jpg

We also get a starting Feat to choose. Remember that, as a Consular, we don't get many of these -- we have to choose wisely. Here, we're taking Class Skill: Computer Use -- it does exactly what it sounds like. Now we can distribute Skill points into Computer Use as if it has always been a class Skill. Our lady is turning out to be quite handy -- perhaps we'll learn why as we play.

MElRnxE.jpg

Our Exile: Meetra Surik. In preparation for this LP, I read Meetra Surik is evidently the canon name for the Jedi Exile -- whatever that means. I like the name though -- let's roll with it.

AWpQYdb.jpg

And we're finished! Meet Meetra Surik: Jedi Exile. She's not the strongest or the fastest, but she's smart for a Jedi (these folks are often cloistered and focused inwards, remember). And she has the Wisdom to know how to make use of her technical skills. She's grounded for a Consular, but that just means she's more competent in the field.

Let's hit that PLAY button and find out why....

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Knowing the gameplay that awaits you makes me want to puke.

Coma White

Educated
Knowing the gameplay that awaits you makes me want to puke.

It's not great. Thankfully the game is also pretty easy, even on Hard difficulty. Not everyone will be able to wade through it -- but IMO the story is worth it. Which is kind of why I'm doing this -- many Codexians would rather read it than play it.

Stats don't matter at all brah.

I'm autistic -- I have to try and play the systems. Though again, you won't see the best items in the game without the Skills required to craft them.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Every now and again I go watch videos of some of the dialogue. Really great writing, but I think the last couple times I tried to play I just cba to slog through the asteroid base knowing that the best the combat ever gets is to reach a point where you can end it as fast as possible.

Coma White

Educated
Every now and again I go watch videos of some of the dialogue. Really great writing, but I think the last couple times I tried to play I just cba to slog through the asteroid base knowing that the best the combat ever gets is to reach a point where you can end it as fast as possible.

Peragus is actually a really interesting area to me. I find it generates a very wide range of responses in people who play it. From it being a super atmospheric, mysterious opening act; to it being a drab combat slog. IMO it's really both these things -- which is fitting, because that's pretty much an analogy for the entire game. Which is one reason I find it as interesting as I do.

I'll talk more about this once we get our asses to Peragus though.

:brodex:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Our Exile: Meetra Surik. In preparation for this LP, I read Meetra Surik is evidently the canon name for the Jedi Exile

sounds like she might be someone's lost sister

Coma White

Educated
Prologue

The Ebon Hawk Adrift

latest

THE SITH LORDS

It is a perilous time for the galaxy. A brutal civil war has all but destroyed the Jedi Order, leaving the ailing Republic on the verge of collapse.

Amid the turmoil, the evil Sith have spread throughout the galaxy, hunting down and destroying the remaining Jedi Knights.

Narrowly escaping a deadly Sith ambush, the last known Jedi clings to life aboard a battered freighter near the ravaged world of Peragus....

ZmxsInC.jpg

We fade in on a ceiling --

t2xqxvR.jpg

Though as we look around the freighter's cockpit; we get the feeling these mechanical eyes (or photoreceptors) are not our own --

icp7KNA.jpg

Rather they are those of a lone astromech droid: T3-M4. This is the game's Prologue and tutorial, and we will play as T3 rather than our character for its duration. T3 doesn't talk much, but he's a resourceful little guy. As we'll soon discover --

The ship turns out to be called the Ebon Hawk. The ship's computer gives us a rundown of our current predicament:

RoggvaK.jpg

No lie -- the ship creaks and groans and hisses around us; as if it will fall apart at any moment. This old woman seems strange to us -- she doesn't look like your average spacer. Perhaps we could investigate.

qjyW4k4.jpg

It's Meetra! It looks like she's fading fast. We'd better find a way to get to the Medical Room before we lose her.

wAkZbIy.jpg

The damage to that starboard engine looks serious -- it looks like we might be able to patch the hyperdrive together. Enough for a single, short jump to what the computer refers to as the Peragus mining station -- whatever that is. It can't be worse than floating aimlessly through this asteroid field. Waiting for a gravity well large enough to pull us to our deaths...

VA3REaG.jpg

A look at T3-M4's character sheet. He's smart, nimble, and can take his share of hits. Of particular note is the Light/Dark morality scale to the left of T3's character model. Unlike the first KOTOR, this scale can actually shift independently for both the player character and her companions. More on this later as it becomes relevant.

0xxRnUH.jpg

The Ebon Hawk's Galaxy Map. Unfortunately, it does us no good until we fix that hyperdrive. To do that, we'll need enough parts. Let's explore the rest of the ship -- see if we can find the parts we need. And check on Meetra and that old woman.

PBFqIgB.jpg

A look at the game's Journal. It may look ugly -- a fact owed to the game's console roots. But it's actually quite functional. We'll be checking this often as we explore the Ebon Hawk and throughout the rest of the game.

hlFKYOG.jpg

In the small communications room right off the cockpit, we find a Computer Spike. These are used in concert with a character's Computer Use skill to slice into computer systems and mainframes. The higher a character's Computer Use skill, the fewer Spikes he'll end up consuming. Unlike in the first KOTOR, Spikes themselves are actually somewhat rare -- typically you'll have to craft them if you want to use them.

NiLCtuX.jpg

With this spike we've found, T3 will be able to slice into communication room's control panel --

Cmc2oYO.jpg

And open the door to the ship's Main Hold.

lKKdtAU.jpg

Bingo! A security camera showcases our successful slice. That threshold leads right to the center of the Ebon Hawk:

lNMrx9P.jpg

The Main Hold. The is the ship's central hub. From here, we can travel to any room in the ship. At least, we usually can --

Due to the damage the Ebon Hawk has sustained (how DID we end up in such bad shape, anyway? Perhaps we'll learn more in time), much of the ship is sealed behind blast doors. If we want to even reach the hyperdrive -- much less the rest of the ship -- we'll have to find ways around these damn doors. Fortunately, T3 is very good at these sorts of things.

bwUCJ3r.jpg

Someone -- or something -- is banging on the other side of this blast door. We're unable to get inside however. And honestly, we're not even sure if we want to. We get the distinct impression something VERY bad went down on this ship -- and not too long ago...

703XzOV.jpg

Well that answers our questions re this old woman -- she's dead. Evidently killed by whatever happened to this ship. We do find a keycard on her body though. Perhaps it will prove useful.

JQ1y3L4.jpg

T3 bashing open a locked footlocker. Hopefully we find some Spikes we can use to access the central computer. Or some Parts to fix the hyperdrive with.

9iU8omo.jpg

Some Spikes -- and a Broken Item. When opting to bash open a container rather than opening it with a character's Security skill, there's a high probability you will break items inside. They are rendered useless -- but they can be broken down into Components for use in crafting -- more on this later.

YW1rIgN.jpg

All the items we've found in our inventory so far. Unlike the journal, the inventory is a total mess. There are a few ways to sort items, but at the end of the day you'll end up with huge lists of everything you're carrying.

Gf5FjnK.jpg

With those Spikes, we're able to slice into the central computer and get an assessment of the ship's interior. Some blast doors are operable -- some aren't. Some we can tunnel -- some we can't.

th4TlRz.jpg

One of those we CAN tunnel is the door to the port cargo bay. T3 is a good tunneler and slicer, with skill in both Computer Use and Security.

ZP1ob3d.jpg

Inside we find a Field Survival Pistol --

MxSaoRT.jpg

And activate some remotes we can use for target practice!

bfvtT4P.jpg

Equipping the Survival Pistol. Anyone versed in 3rd Edition D&D will understand all these stats. This little sucker doesn't do much damage, though it does deal extra damage on critical hits. It's also fully upgradable -- most equipment in TSL can be upgraded using add-ons you'll sometimes find but mostly craft. The best add-ons are crafted, and the best items are built with the best add-ons.

Jpuzgzp.jpg

T3 blasting these remotes with the Survival Pistol. Combat in TSL is real-time-with-pause. It's quite basic: you queue up a character's actions -- basic attacks, combat Feats, grenades, special weapons, etc -- and let them go. Combat is generally on the easy side, and it's definitely the weakest part of the game (though Obsidian didn't have much choice in the matter -- they inherited the game's engine and combat system from BioWare's previous game).

biBaDxg.jpg

Also in the cargo we find 3C-FD: a second astromech droid! He's damaged, but we can use a Part we've found to get him to stop spinning.

The actual dialogue:

ityYrok.jpg
"Dee-ree-deet-deet!"

MHmwNL2.jpg
[Invite 3C-FD] "Dee-deet-tree-deet?"

HgKIzu5.jpg

3C agrees! We now have him as a party member. And we'll need him to fix the ship. Functionally he's basically identical to T3, and we'll never see him again outside of this Prologue -- cherish his rust-orange chassis!

3LkB5He.jpg

Also in here is the locker for which we found the key on that old woman's body. Inside we find a Spike, a Part, and some Droid Impact Armor:

0drithR.jpg

It's nothing tremendous. But 3 Defense is better than 0, we suppose.

86tswCF.jpg

Now we stumble onto the medical room. And inside, we find Meetra! We find a Medpac in a nearby container --

ZVqu5em.jpg

And use it to heal her injuries. She's stable for now, but we'll have to jump the ship to Peragus if we want any chance of reviving her fully.

5L4dDaE.jpg

We find the door to the engine room. Unfortunately it's damaged beyond opening -- we'll need to locate some explosives to blast it open. You can use a character's Demolitions skill to blast open just about anything in this game: doors, containers, etc. Strangely enough this does not damage a container's contents, as bashing it open would.

mNh9fHq.jpg

The door to the Ebon Hawk's garage is also sealed. We are informed the garage itself has depressurized. This means we cannot use the ship's computer to open the INNER garage door without first closing the OUTER garage door.

RSf75XJ.jpg

Fortunately, with 3C-FD onboard; we now have two droids to work with. Using Solo Mode, we can position T3 inside the airlock while 3C shuts the first door and opens the second.

PjiIab5.jpg

Bingo. Turns out 3C is just as good a slicer as T3 (well, maybe not AS good). T3-M4 now has access to the Ebon Hawk's garage --

vrzhxhY.jpg

Which, as we've already learned, has depressurized. Maybe it has something to do with that gaping hole in the hull. Nothing between our valiant gray astromech and the cold void of open space. In the distance: the fiery exposed core of Peragus. And somewhere in the asteroids orbiting it is the mining station we're aiming to get to. We'd best work fast --

O2qmvxK.jpg

We're instructed to use the nearby Workbench to craft a Repair Kit -- these are basically droid-equivalents of Medpacs. We break down those destroyed items we found earlier into usable Components. And we use those to craft a Repair Kit --

CIBmDku.jpg

Which we use to get T3 back up to snuff. This little droid's as ready as ever!

JO5cBS1.jpg

With little else left to do INSIDE the Ebon Hawk, we activate the external lift and head outside to locate some explosives with which to gain access to the engine room. The durasteel lift trundles upwards --

IhPfBg2.jpg

And we find T3 and 3C trundling along the vessel's exterior hull. Distant stars all around and Peragus glowing in the distance, like a baleful eyeball.

MKngvWW.jpg

It's quite a view --

4m2O9Ex.jpg

The hull's exterior turns out to be a goldmine for Parts we'll need to fix the hyperdrive.

jfCEDbA.jpg

We're also able to do some rewiring to access the starboard dormitory back inside the ship. Excellent.

xRIEL1W.jpg

We also locate a few Frag Mines out here (why the ship's hull is mined we're not entirely sure). That bubble around them indicates their radius of detonation -- this is viewed through checking a character's Awareness skill --

vTnqo1C.jpg

And the mines themselves are either disarmed or recovered through the Demolitions skill. Obviously recovering a mine takes a higher Demolitions skill than simply disarming a mine does. Thankfully T3 is skilled enough for the former.

KtsAWN4.jpg

With the starboard dormitory now open, mines in hand, and enough Parts to fix the hyperdrive; our two intrepid droids head back down into the Hawk.

208B8cu.jpg

We hit up the now-open starboard dormitory. Inside this footlocker we find:

OIefsVu.jpg

A Droid Flame Thrower! This is a special droid weapon only droid characters can use. These tend to be quite a bit more powerful than basic attacks, though they have a limited number of charges on them which are depleted through use. Droid weapons are one of the best reasons to bring droids along. They tend to do a lot of damage and confer all sorts of nasty status effects onto enemies.

HVKP9W4.jpg

We're able to use one of the mines we found to blow open the engine room:

DqdU5mJ.jpg

Blammo! Make sure you stand back when you open doors this way -- you can hurt yourself if you aren't careful.

LouJ0tl.jpg

Inside the engine room. The starboard engine is badly damaged -- we won't be able to repair it until/unless we're lucky enough to make the jump to this the Peragus mining facility the ship's computer is so hyped about.

QxysAlH.jpg

Fixing the hyperdrive. The droids have done it, by George! Now all that remains to be done is set a course for Peragus:

czEzyYj.jpg

Accessing the Ebon Hawk's Star Map. From here we can take the ship into hyperspace to travel between various worlds. Though right now the only place we have any hope of reaching is the nearby Peragus facility. T3 inputs the coordinates and hits the big red button. And we're off -- !

YsGoFMU.jpg

But what's this? That storage compartment in the main hold! Whatever was banging on it before has managed to OPEN it --

Sb5P32b.jpg

What.

R8PJ9Lz.jpg

Is.

LjwdWyq.jpg

That?

And off that question, we fade to black.

And as we hear what sounds like T3 and 3C being ATTACKED -- we end the Prologue.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Oh man, I forgot all about the prologue. I just popped a major hate boner just thinking about it. Will read up later.

Coma White

Educated
Oh man, I forgot all about the prologue. I just popped a major hate boner just thinking about it. Will read up later.

The prologue itself is at its core a pretty run-of-the-mill tutorial. It's also rather strange the game starts you not as the character you've just made, but rather as a little droid whose significance isn't revealed until much later in the game. Still, I feel these flaws are offset by the atmosphere and tone of the sequence -- both of these are stellar. You're going to hear me repeat this throughout this LP -- the atmosphere of this game is just fantastic.

Coma White

Educated
Part One:
Kreia

latest

GPgGH2I.jpg

We fade in on what looks like some kind of medical facility. Five people -- one of whom we recognize as our gal Meetra -- suspended in KOLTO: a healing solution which was introduced in the previous KOTOR. It is a valuable natural substance which has the ability to heal almost any physical injury, given enough time. Which begs the question how long we've been floating here...

bpt1SO8.jpg

A voice in our head. We do not hear it, exactly. But we feel it. Like a shiver running up our spine. Or the memory of something we've forgotten to do. We do not know if we can trust it --

tFwiStu.jpg

But we heed it nonetheless. Somehow, we KNOW staying here is a bad idea. And our past, our training -- our experience -- bids we trust our instincts. So we breathe deeply, gather our strength, and for the first time in what could be weeks -- we stand on our own two feet.

TLfZcQx.jpg

As if we have better things to do. Awakening as we have in a strange medical facility with no memory as to how we've arrived here. Strange... we can recall our life, our past. But not more recent events -- like how we ended up here. Wherever here is.

LlLHzeG.jpg

At last -- Meetra's character sheet. The same as when we first rolled it up. Aside from a whopping 32 Vitality. For a level 1 character?

4YGScTH.jpg

That explains it. Meetra possesses the
24px-KotORII_Feat_War_Veteran.png
War Veteran Feat, which grants her 25 additional hit points. A veteran of the Mandalorian Wars, you say? A clue to our past, perhaps.

vHieyY6.jpg

Only one way to go --

iU7QGGn.jpg

Outside the tank room, we find what looks like a medical storage room. We find a few Medpacs (you never know). We also locate a Lab Station:

4QkFESU.jpg

Lab Stations are similar to Workbenches. Here players with the requisite skills (usually Treat Injury -- which Meetra does not have) can craft Medpacs, Implants, grenades, and other such items. Doing so consumes Chemicals, which are similar to Components used to craft more permanent items at a Workbench.

VnJUmHo.jpg

We also gain access to the medical computer -- no slicing required this time. Now that's odd...

We were suspended in the same tanks as those other four patients. The same kolto. And yet they're dead, and we're alive. Let's access patient treatments --

xvAy0ay.jpg

Well that explains it. Someone issued a treatment request for a lethal dose of sedatives, which was administered to all the patients in the med bay -- including us. It would seem someone has tried to kill us as we've slept. Who would do such a thing?

Whoever it was; he or she has failed. We do not have the Spike we need to track the treatment request right now. But we WILL find out who has done this. And whoever it is will owe us some answers.

On3aKzC.jpg

We're also able to access some medical logs. Perhaps this will begin to explain exactly where we are, and what's happened since our arrival --

3787jL2.jpg

Log 253-12

"Still examining the survivors of the damaged freighter -- looks like it goes by the name of the Ebon Hawk. Only one survivor, placed in the kolto tank for recovery. The carbon scoring of the vessel suggests it was in a battle, but no indication of who fired on it...

"... couldn't get much from the navicomputer. I'm surprised the ship was able to make it inside the Peragus asteroid field without the asteroid drift charts.

"Aside from the lone survivor, we recovered an old woman, no life signs. There was also a protocol droid and a utility droid on board -- sent both down to maintenance while security sorts through the other items on the ship. It looks like the utility droid -- a T3 unit -- was able to get the ship working enough to get to the colony. We're prepared to..."

YE8bSjk.jpg

Log 253-15

"... could be a Jedi, but we won't know for sure until we get the transmission back from the Republic. If the survivor is a Jedi, that would account for the recovery rate... but I'm more concerned that a Jedi here may cause trouble, some of the miners, especially Coorta, are already st-

"... another accident today, a detonation in one of the ventilation tunnels... if the lockdown measures hadn't activated, the whole facility would have been destroyed. Got most of the injured to the kolto tanks in time -- but the rest had to go to the morgue. One of the wounded said a droid caused the accident, but we couldn't get any specifics..."

BT8FrYA.jpg

Log 253-18

"... miners about the Jedi, a number of droids have been acting oddly, and not even memory wipes seem to be fixing the problem. There was a detonation in one of the fuel vents the droids were working in -- we deactivated several of them and moved them down to maintenance, but we're still treating the plasma burns...

... that cuts us down to almost half-shifts, and with the droids malfunctioning, we may not make the Telos shipment for this month. Fortunately, the detonation didn't cause a lockdown."

WARNING: There has been a fuel detonation in the mining tunnels. Emergency Lockdown commencing. Report to quarters and prepare for emergency venting countermeasures.

"... no, if the ventilation systems are malfunctioning... Evacuate the medical bay! Everyone, evac-"

The logs are chilling. Something went wrong here. And judging by the fact we haven't actually SEEN anyone in this medical bay; that something may have been VERY wrong indeed. Unrest among the miners... droids going crazy... detonations in the mining tunnels... maybe our having missed all this is for the best after all.

The logs mentioned a pair of droids though. And an old woman --

K1ibelG.jpg

We're able to use this terminal to unlock the morgue across the hall. Maybe we can find some answers in there.

edJNSY8.jpg

Inside we find the old woman from the Ebon Hawk. Still as dead as she was when we first found her as T3. Strangely though, there is no sign of WHAT killed her --

GZppUpE.jpg

We also find a Plasma Torch on one of the dead miners. Perhaps we can use this to escape the medical facility.

As we grab hold of it, however --

Ghq0CIc.jpg

The old woman.

XUcg87j.jpg

Not so dead after all.

Wo4hVn1.jpg

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"Find what you are looking for amongst the dead?"

yan22Gc.jpg
"Your voice -- I heard it as I floated in the kolto tank."

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"Yes, I had hoped as much -- I slept here too long and could not awaken. It may be I reached out unconsciously, and your mind must have been a willing one. Or perhaps you have been trained for such things."

yan22Gc.jpg
"So you can touch minds... and feign death -- who are you?"

NMsFI88.jpg

yan22Gc.jpg
"Last thing I remember I was on board a Republic ship -- the Harbinger... what happened to it?"

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"Your ship was attacked. You were the only survivor... a result of your Jedi training, no doubt."

L0JR191.jpg

yan22Gc.jpg
"If you think I'm a Jedi, you're mistaken."

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi. Your walk is heavy, you carry something that weighs you down."

yan22Gc.jpg
"The Jedi Order and I have a... troubled history. What is this place?"

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"I do not know. I was removed from the events of the world as I slept. A survey of the surroundings may provide the answers we seek. The ship we arrived in, the Ebon Hawk, must still be in this place. We should recover it and leave."

2DTen9I.jpg

yan22Gc.jpg
"Care to explain why you're in such a hurry?"

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"We were attacked once, and I fear our attackers will not give up the hunt so easily -- without transport, weapons, and information, they will find us easy prey indeed."

yan22Gc.jpg
[Awareness] "You seem nervous, worried. Is something wrong?"

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"Even as I slept, I felt much unrest here -- I saw strange visions, minds colored with fear -- now, everything here feels terribly silent. A last word of caution... I would find out as much as you can about this place quickly -- I fear we will need to depart as suddenly as we arrived."

VuoUEIG.jpg

yan22Gc.jpg
[Persuade/Intimidate] "The miners in med bay were murdered. Know why?"

XC5NYJZ.jpg
[Success] "I do not know -- why did they spare you?"

yan22Gc.jpg
"I am trained to resist poisons of the body."

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"Indeed, a Jedi trance could protect one from such poisons... in fact, the sedatives may have been intended to keep you unconscious for some time. It would prove lethal to those untrained in such techniques however. Most curious."

yan22Gc.jpg
"You seem to know a lot about Jedi techniques."

QmffdTp.jpg

XC5NYJZ.jpg
"I leave you to the explorations of this place... here I will remain and attempt to center myself."

yan22Gc.jpg
"Just stay out of my way, or you'll end up like those corpses."

d222V8u.jpg

"Center" herself? We tell Kreia exactly what we think of that -- and are "awarded" our first small slip towards the Dark Side of the Force. The above image explains how this works, and the morality slider on our character sheet tracks our vacillations between good and evil: an important metric for any Force Sensitive. The farther we fall, the easier it will be for us to draw on Dark Side Powers... but the harder it will be to seek a higher path.

Having told the crone who's boss, we head into what turns out to be the facility's Administration Level...

Last edited:

Trotsky

Arcane
Both KoToR games were excellent & complement each other well. What's great is Obsidian chose the dark side ending as canon to the original giving the sequel a bleak vibe.

People who hate the first game but fawn over the second are retards. It's literally the same story/universe but better expanding on the foundation like a proper sequel should.

Coma White

Educated
What's great is Obsidian chose the dark side ending as canon to the original giving the sequel a bleak vibe.

This is incorrect. When the KOTOR games were still canon, the Light Side ending of the first game was canon. Obsidian had no business in determining what was and wasn't canon -- that was something Lucasfilm decided.

Trotsky

Arcane

So edgy.

What's great is Obsidian chose the dark side ending as canon to the original giving the sequel a bleak vibe.

This is incorrect. When the KOTOR games were still canon, the Light Side ending of the first game was canon. Obsidian had no business in determining what was and wasn't canon -- that was something Lucasfilm decided.

Technically you could choose your own canon that was the whole point after all with separate cameos/dialog but the sequel leans heavily toward the dark side ending in KoToR. Nearly everything the higher ups at Lucas touch turns into a disaster so I wouldn't value their opinion very much. All the best Star Wars content for more than two decades has come from projects that had little do with Lucasfilms. As soon as they started to take a bigger role in the series they tanked it with the Old Republic. Thankfully Disney wants to make money distancing themselves as much as possible from the past by resetting the universe but KoToR had a pretty big influence on The Force Awakens if you hadn't noticed.

Coma White

Educated
Technically you could choose your own canon that was the whole point after all with separate cameos/dialog but the sequel leans heavily toward the dark side ending in KoToR. Nearly everything the higher ups at Lucas touch turns into a disaster so I wouldn't value their opinion very much. All the best Star Wars content for more than two decades has come from projects that had little do with Lucasfilms. As soon as they started to take a bigger role in the series they tanked it with the Old Republic. Thankfully Disney wants to make money and distance themselves as much as possible from the past by resetting the universe but KoToR had a pretty big influence on The Force Awakens if you hadn't noticed.

Mostly true but largely irrelevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revan#In_the_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_series

According to canon, Revan returned as a Jedi Knight who stopped the Sith forces under Malak's control and destroyed the Star Forge. The last scene of the game's canonical ending shows the principal characters, including Revan, being honored by the Republic at the site of the temple on Rakata Prime

Just because you think the canon ending is stupid doesn't mean that, until Disney reordered the canon, it wasn't official canon. That's what canon is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom