Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's Play: Shadorun Returns Steam Workshop (gauging interest)

Yay or nay?

• Yay

• Nay

• Yeah nah chummer

Results are only viewable after voting.

DramaticPopcorn

Sup, dex.

So, during the NWN days I was a part of a small modding community, we had a tradition of having a few members play through a bunch of low rated NWN 1-2 mods from nwvault and post detailed feedback. What was concieved as a sort of honest critique and an exercise in spotting good ideas or coming up with ways to "make it work" in the end turned into hall of shame with us making very spiteful and sarcastic pseudo-Review/LP and highlighting all the worst that NWN modding had to offer.

I'm in the process of playing through every Shadorun mod published on steam workshop as a small challenge similar to that, wasn't really looking to start an LP over it but kinda wondering if I should try.

The rules: one character for every mod: a (Codex) troll focused on high Body and rifle or shotgun skill, no social skills, always abrassive, provocative and cowardly when the shit hits the fan. Assuming the game permits it.

But for this concept to kick off, I would need a well defined criterias for juding the mod, and, having never actually reviewed anything, I'd need some help with that.

What criterias are best to judge the mod by?

(probability of abandonment: 70% :negative: )

almondblight

Arcane
What criterias are best to judge the mod by?

Writing (characters, story), editing ("Your not supposed to be here!"), encounters, multiple ways to solve a quest (particularly in a game like SRR - some situations require deckers, in others their useless), side content/openness.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, almondblight's list is pretty good. I'd add that it's probably a good idea to give multiple scores to each module -- it's possible to have a mod with awesome combat but crappy writing, or one that is mediocre in all gameplay aspects but has a great story and is a fun 'change of pace'. FWIW when I was rating/judging user-made missions in City of Heroes (RIP), I was using a scoring system like this (shamelessly stolenadapted from COHMR), basically answering questions and adding/subtracting points in each category appropriately:
  • Story: How the story itself holds up. Does it fit SR canon? Does the story hold the player's interest, is it engaging? Are the twists and turns too difficult to follow or is the plot so completely obvious that it is not interesting? Are there inconsistencies, plot holes, instances of lazy writing?
  • Design: How well the module makes use of SRR's features. Are interactions with the world (via dialogue, pop-up-text, mission status text) used properly, or do they get in the way? Is there an overuse of certain elements? Are there multiple approaches to situations, is there C&C, are there any dialogues that are more than click-click-click-done?
  • Gameplay: How well the gameplay itself holds up. Is it too easy/hard/frustrating? Are there any situations that make the player think instead of just going on autopilot (whether in combat or in puzzles/dialogue), and are they actually fun? Is there a lot of needless running around and backtracking? Are there optional objectives that add to the experience? Is there a good balance of combat/noncombat content?
  • Detail: Level of polish, attention to detail without bogging down the player. Are descriptions and/or dialogue nodes so long / wordy it takes forever to read them -- and does the player drown in a deluge of unescapable exposition at one point? Is there optional fluff (e.g. readable books, side conversations that aren't directly connected to the mission, etc), and does it help immersion / possibly explain bits of relevant SR lore players may not be aware of? Are levels utilitarian or do they look pleasing to the eye? I usually took off points for spelling errors and lack of editing here, too.
  • Overall: An experience can be more (or less) than the sum of its parts. Was there something I really liked or hated? Something I think others would appreciate more (or less) than I did? Is the creator a hoopy frood?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom