Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Rule The Waves

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
paris%2Bcommune.jpg

Russian Power Supreme. This is a Tsarist ship, by the way, their first class of Dreadnaught, the Gangut class. Up in service until the '50.

vjhjyn.jpg

Dayyālu

Arcane
Thanks for the bump!

Update tomorrow. To kill a bit of time, I can propose to you a small reading that has been useful to me to understand a tiny bit what's going on.

It's from a US 1945 publication, "Ship Shapes - Anatomy and Types of Naval vessels". As with most publications for the common soldier of past ages, it's a quick and fun read to introduce basic concepts to the uninitiated. Of course, there are several differences with the RTW era fleets, but the basics are the same.

Plus, jokes about Italians.

YYrPqde.jpg

CxvBACf.jpg

OH2bvLR.jpg

gmNqnpH.jpg

TedVoI0.jpg

KwfMM09.jpg

u6dnVNo.jpg

Full link, if someone cares, is here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/ONI/ONI-223/ONI-223.pdf

It's a very quick read (34 pages) and an interesting source.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let's play Rule The Waves: Dreadnaught Has Arrived Edition

Three months until our first Dreadnaught is ready. Tension with France rising. That means we should wake up and place some of our ships in active duty, to get good training. War with France will be mostly aggressive, if the alliance with Britain holds. I foresee a military parade and a quick victory!

jlyXZUz.jpg

We unlock the most efficient armour configuration for Light Cruisers. Just as we are building a huge batch of Light Cruisers. The pain

Intelligence reports point out that our guns are superior to French ones, but the frogs have a secret 10% extra fund for unknown reasons. Crafty.

udj5A8r.jpg

The Reviztan is the firtst of our new Dreads to be commissioned. Some months of winding up, and she will be ready to fight.

qoidhlf.jpg

It's a beauty. Fast enough, well armoured, well armed. Should serve us well. Sadly, some of our older ships are in dire need of a refit, and we lack the money to do so. In a year we'll start to refit extensively our older ships, build a new set of Coastal Subs and plan for Destroyer replacements. And maybe dream the next generation of Dreadnaughts.

It's a three years wait to build one, ya know!

One of the mostly useless yet rewarding features of Rule The Waves is the ship image generator. It has no use and no gameplay result: it's the small option to get a automatic generated image of your ship and build structures and masts as you like.

I don't know why I find it fun. IT HAS NO TRUE USE

GZr58Aq.jpg

No, Japan. Our advanced tech will not be tainted by the yellow peril.

x8xMnmN.jpg

At last we get Oil Firing! As we are a fairly good land power, we do have access to Oil. Oil engines are faster and more powerful if compared to the Coal Engines we have been using until now. Sure, Coal Bunkers gave us more protection and are cheaper.... we can now rebuild our older class of vessel with Oil engines and improving their speed drastically, but it will be a long and expensive slog for vessels that are aging. Maybe some of our CA can be salvaged, I'm not so sure for CL and I doubt we can get mileage out of 1899 era Destroyers, bar for cheap patrol ships.

Wait, what Oil Firing does in RL? It's a steam engines that employs oil instead of coal. As far as I understand, of course.

1HNIv8D.jpg

Our new flagship ends her winding up period. Ready to fight.

mERp6EI.jpg

Sure, dear allies.

OHmjYpj.jpg

Little happens in the following months, bar a very fruitful series of exchanges between the US, Russia and the Brits. Very good, and even good for our budget. The Frenchmen stay put.

NLZh8Pr.jpg

The friendship proves short lived, however. Cuba cries for help, and following the +Tension policy we decide to intervene. The Cuban Crisis of 1909 will be a widely studied subject in the history books, I bet.

TLkbt5W.jpg

No shit. And we lose one Prestige. I fucked up here. And the US now hates our guts. Wohooo!

shKHrHT.jpg

At least another of our Dreads is now ready. And our intelligence reports that the Germans are STILL BUILDING MECKLEMBURG CLASS BATTLESHIPS.

You remember, the 13500 tons ones we sank? The AI sometimes....

wDadZLe.jpg

We will not lose time. Our old battleships of the Apostolov class get a small refit: new rangefinders and centralized firing control, plus more ammo. There is no time or money to improve the engines.

USLGKd2.jpg

The first ship odf our new design is ready. And of course it has trouble reaching its design speed. It's one knot slower than projected. Dammit. Tensions with the French hit a new high. I order the ships to get in active service, our sailors need more training.

NMaEnTO.jpg

As usual, the Balkans are the forge of war. We will light the fires, and prepare to embrace the light and the warmth.

PHmJgRW.jpg

On January 1910, Russia, Great Britain and France are at war. Our ships do not waste time to start hunting enemy shipping.

JWQQKqJ.jpg

WAIT THE FROGS HAVE TWO DREADNAUGHTS WHAT THE HECK NO ONE TOLD ME THIS

Little problem, our own second Dread will be ready soon.

6sYXPPl.jpg

The first strike is with a good selection of old cruisers. Our sailor quality is not the greatest, so I'll try to hit some merchantmen and bail out before the enemy cruisers find us. I don't want early losses and we have the advantage here, let's be patient and proper. Today of lead captain is Cap't Endlösung , that seems weirdly happy to be hunting Frenchmen.

8AyjtlK.jpg

We bump in the night in a French formation. We can't identify them, but we can at least....

21880.jpg
"AN ALLE KAPITANE: FEUER FREI!"

Well, that works too, but I swear that's not Russian.

Uguh44x.jpg

One of our cruisers report that we hit a Dreadnaught Battleship with a torpedo. It's night and the weather is bad, so I don't know how reliable the report is. But if we are against a Dread, a cautious retreat would be wise.

Very, very wise. But our captain is no man to retreat without his prize. And it would make no sense to find a dread here!

QtwPTBQ.jpg

The Madagaskar leads a charge into the middle of the enemy formation, separating a damaged French Light cruiser from the other ships. At least I think it's a enemy CL, reports are all over the place. Freakin night. One of our CL, the Vesta, gets a direct hit on the bridge, killing the captain. A fallen hero, surely the Tsar will cry a single tear for him.

GKFmBjG.jpg

Our ships are launching Torpedoes like mad, and we get garbled reports of hits and kills. I can confirm nothing, bar that we lose contact with the bulk of the enemy force. Let's hunt stragglers.

efsXxv6.jpg

The supposed CL starts burning brightly, and we can confirm its indentity. A good prize. Two unidentified vessels also sink, probably Destroyers or Merchantmen. Picking up survivors will be difficult. We abandon the burning hulk after pumping several torpedoes in hit and we resume the hunt. The night will give us a fitting prize.

We hunt aggressively, and more merchantmen are sank.

Yet, when we retreat, a tragedy:

mrhtBhG.jpg

The CA survives, even if heavily damaged. Our loot is good, almost 10k of French merchant ships, a CL, two DD and several transports. Such a early victory even gives us a Prestige Point. Great!

I should let Ca'pt Endlosung command more raids. He's weird, but efficient.

We'll continue our inevitable victory march against the frogs on the next update.

Hopefully, soon.

dyzF8PF.jpg

Austrian Battleship near the Dalmatian coast

Dayyālu

Arcane
Due to unforeseen matters (A pal of mine got at last his degree and I had to attend, eating much of my free time) the update will be postponed, tomorrow at best.

Enjoy catchy fascist songs about submarines, instead!

Sommergibile_Anfitrite.jpg

Italian submarine, of the Sirena class. Starting WW2 with one of the biggest submarine fleets into the world (more than 100 hulls) the Regia Marina was quickly mauled by subpar engineering (Italian submarines had outdated torpedoes still employing WW1 tech and terrible immersion capabilities), poor planning, outdated tactics and shit luck. Suffering more than 10% losses in the first weeks of hostilities, the Italian submarine force suffered greatly, despite desperate attempts to copy German designs. More than 75% of the Italian submarines where destroyed by the end of the war. Offensive results were poor if compared with the Germans, even despite terrible checks on supposed kills. Captain Enzo Grossi, for example, claimed two American battleships when in reality he merely damaged a cruiser.

"Rapidi e invisibili"!

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let's Play Rule The Waves: Screaming Frogs Edition

tH1uBnD.jpg

If you ask yourselves what the little O means, it means Obsolete, a model that has been active for more than 10 years without a refit.

Our ships get mobilized. We will finish the reneval of our two battleships in a few months and we will get extra CL soon after. I decide to get aggressive, for Anti-Submarine warfare and coastal duty I send our old Destroyers. We have the advantage and it's time to push it.

Ignore the Blockade! signal, the game has still to count the Briton support. Next turn the situation will be reversed.

ZI9zTJT.jpg

142624735-strongman-in-the-french-army-lifting-a-gettyimages.jpg

French infantrymen are tough

You fucks. You can't do THAT. This is a game about ship battles! Ship battles! You can't rush in with troops! Land battles are mostly up to RNG and to the amount of ships we have in the area. We lacked any kind of cover in the Pacific, being an area we just stole from the Germans, and so we got shredded. I should check our ships and send a cruiser or two to bomb the advancing frogs. Dammit.

FufHdSI.jpg

At least we get another BB. Time to shine, my daughter. Time to shine. Our subs start an aggressive campaign and sink French merchantmen. I swear, Russian subs are good.

wnbgKt3.jpg

Cruiser battle. It's just the Kalinin rushing forward to hunt Frenchmen, so it's a chance for Cap't Kalin to prove himself. Get 'em, mate!

74dagLk.jpg

The Kalinin soon spots a prey, a French cruiser of the Sfax class. An easy prey, the only problem is that its max speed is 21 knots to the Kalinin's 20. We'll manage through superior Congoid discipline. Meaning, we'll run until the engines explode.

12415.jpg
Fastah!

xbjYlpG.jpg

12415.jpg
Whuzza dat?

Apparently, a bunch of French CA and God knows what else. Fuck this, we're outta here now. Two CAs are more than what we can chew. Out of here. Now.

6NDtt62.jpg

Shit, they are faster. Dammit, dammit, dammit. Run, Kalin, run! We are followed by at least three cruisers and a squadron of Destroyers. If the AI wakes up and goes into a Torpedo run we are dead as a black teenager in a gang war.

xV5jqIY.jpg

Shit. In our escape, we end up finding the Madagaskar under Captain Endlosung. Problem is, they are under AI control now, following the Scenario rules. We are now 2 CA + Squadron of Destroyers VS 2 CA 1 CL and Destroyers, but we merely command a ship.

Dammit. This one will be tough.

Lrs6k5t.jpg

Captain Endlosung decides that it's time to take the fight to the enemy, and charges. We get lucky and one of the Montcalm cruisers start circling after a rain of hits. Maybe we can get a victory out of this. Luck favours the bold, after all.

jb68GbU.jpg

The Montcalm find itself in the middle of the two interlocking fields of fire. As you can see from the log, it's not pretty, even if the Kalinin has to suffer a hit on a Torpedo launcher.

zOnYNzj.jpg

Kalin goes for the drive-by shooting. Congoid tactics, what's not to love?

10.jpg

You would not believe how difficult is to find a stock photo of a black man with a gun.

f0EqwXw.jpg

The Montcalm , after a hit too many, slows down. Bad call, the Destroyer squadron and the Madagaskar are in torpedo range. The AI is better than me.

However, the Madgaskar is relentless. After sinking ont of the Montcalms, it engages the other. I don't know guys, this is weird. The AI is never so suicidally aggressive. I mean, now we have the tactical advantage, but it pretty much charged in guns blazing.

Whatevs. As I said, luck to the bold.

The Kalinin is out of primary ammo, though. We will fire our secondaries until the end.

k5l7YWv.jpg

The other Montcalm slows down, and the Destroyer squadron unleashes another torpedo wave, with obvious results.

What the fuck, I'm not even leading them.

CUw1PYO.jpg

I can't believe this crap. The Madagaskar sank two French CA pretty much single handedly and under AI command.

WHAT THE FUCK.

21880.jpg
Good genetics, Admiral. Good genetics matter.

Well, I'm not complaining. The loss of two CA is kind of devastating for the already outnumbered French forces and we can now spare more ships to send in the Pacific. We send a CL and a Destroyer to support our troops in Southeast Asia, and a CA is sent to the Pacific to even the odds.

We are now blockading France, and already lead the war by more than 2000 VP. Easy as pie. I told you.

iHrOZED.jpg

Good.

oyee6Pt.jpg

Bad. I was dumb. One of the convoys trasferring troops from the North Asian coast to the Marianas is jumped by a French CA, and we have merely a CL to stop it. Another difficult one. The Aurora is an experienced ship, but 6 inches guns aren't going to cut it against a even 1899 class CA.

1wbUZsk.jpg

:negative::negative::negative:

auofUD7.jpg

Ok, those troops won't reach the frontline anytime soon. Can't win 'em all.

UMmrI7r.jpg

Thanks. Worth less than a single month of action by our Subs. Our economy is thankfully recovering and our CL of the Mercury class are entering service. This war is a godsend, the money I get will be enough for both subs and Destroyers. New ships, here I come.

I hope France does not surrender too soon. Wait a sec....

Here, now I have a problem. The French AI and the Scenario simulator gave me a small ... gift.

7oSpBIV.jpg

Oh gosh, Decisive Fleet battle. The French will throw everything at us and we get to use BOTH of our new BBs. Of course, this should be a massacre for the Frogs, but who knows.... I need time to write this down properly, though. Who will win the Battle of the Fates? Stay tuned.

Update tomorrow. This one is gonna be big.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Typical prussian soldier performance. Dont know whats so special.
Why is Madagaskar not partaking in glorious final stand?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Typical prussian soldier performance. Dont know whats so special.
Why is Madagaskar not partaking in glorious final stand?

There is pretty much the entire fleet out there, I just got a screenshot of the Battleship and of the Dreads.

About the performance, I have no idea. The French fire was subpar compared to ours, and checking the post battle statistics they failed to empty the ammo bins (while the Kalinin was at 0% main ammo and the Madagaskar at 16%). Our AI did very well, a bit surprising as in this campaign the enemy tactical AI has proven often indecisive. Maybe it's due to the German traits (national traits influence the AI, and the Germans are conservative in their battle approach, and this has not served them well).

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let's Play Rule the Waves: Kantai Kessen Edition

hJXoDSl.jpg

Oh God. Well, we have a full complement of more than ten B or BB class battleships, a "scout force" with several CAs inside and a swarm of Destroyers covering both forces. The Revitzan , the first of our new Nikolai I Dreads, is leading the fleet.

The plan is, well, simple. We employ the scouting forces to identify the enemy battleline and then smash it into pieces. Our cruisers will engage their counterparts while the enemy B are finished off.

998X5QH.jpg

The French have half of our Bs and they are mostly older models. They have a single BB and a BC (A Battlecruiser). One of thse days I should explain what a battlecruiser is, but today I'm lazy. In simple terms, it's a Armoured Cruiser on steroids, with the weapons but not the armour of a Dread.

I set up most of my core ships as AI controlled (can't micro all of them in battle) and start the hunt. It's 10 o'clock in the morning and the weather is just a bit cloudy.

ND6pNVG.jpg

At 10:30 the Diana signals a enemy CL and a swarm of unidentified vessels. We order the scout division to pursue, and set the main batteline on 20 knots speed and in full pursuit.

Five minutes later, the Diana is narrowly missed by a rain of 13 inches shot. Holy fug, that must be the French Battlecruiser. Did I tell you the only advantage they have is that they mount 13 inch guns and we mount mostly 12 inch?

HMS_Thunderer_13.5_inch_Turrets.jpg

Real Life 13 inches guns.

The Fench BC has six 13 inch, but an armour of merely 6 inches. If it gets into a match with out battleline it's dead. If it hits one of our cruisers before we can retreat them, well....

wPXHvS4.jpg

I don't think I need to plan this much. The Scout force will be bait, and we will force the French B and BC to endure the wall of fire from our 12 inches. I mean, we have around 30 12 inch guns firing at once. What can go wrong?

m3oyY4f.jpg

Nothing. The enemy BC flees, and the weak French battleline starts exchanging fire with ours. They are half of our number. Shells explode, superstructures are hit, guns jam. But our fire is stronger.

dauorlp.jpg

The interlocking fields of fire are deadly. Some of our ships are mauled, as they take return hits or are flooded. I'm not going to retreat. This is the end for the French fleet. No one escapes.

cqvEPWr.jpg

Well, someone escapes. The enemy BB starts an headlong rush towards friendly docks, and the slower and older French B are left to their fate. Torpedo runs are made by destroyers and start taking their toll.

4E5G7Uf.jpg

The slow enemy B are picked one by one. I leave our B divisions to finish the job, under the wise command of Captain Dreaad. Despite the fear of soap and falling, he manages to do a good job.

Mine is more difficult. I want to sink the Charles Martel. It will not be the name of subhuman Frankish chief to stop us. Plus, everyone knows, it was Orthodoxy who saved Christianity from the Muslim Hordes. We ignore the worrying reports from the Nikolai I that talk about heavy flooding from several 13 inch hits, and we push at 21 knots. Frankish guns can be deadly, but we have more.

4XWTOZs.jpg

DAMMIT. I get cocky, and the enemy Destroyers manage to get a torpedo in on the Revitzan. No biggie. This thing is built to withstand everything. It's unsinkable! I SWEAR!

T2KznkK.jpg

Dammit. The Revitzan suffers heavy flooding. I don't care. Push the Nikolai I engines to the max, we are pursuing. We manage to separate the French BB from the Destroyer escort, and our fleet starts to converge on the French position. Like wolves. Russian wolves.

egyB40W.jpg

See thre ship highlighted in blue? That is the Martel.

JB_WolvesFeedingjpg.jpg

Not for long.

The Martel is savaged by dozens of 12 inch hits and torpedoes. Our feast ended, we start hunting anew for other foes. The BC probably escaped, but maybe we can bang a shellshocked cruiser or two.

j8nAKaP.jpg

wat

A single torpedo hit

and our joy and pride, a brand new BB, is now sinking

a single torpedo hit

why

tbbnxtQ.jpg

We manage nonetheless to take all survivors. The Revitzan needs more than 40 minutes to sink. I swear, the flooding was not even that bad.

The battle ends soon after.

dBRnT7o.jpg

Check by yourselves . The amount of damage the Revitzan suffered is not enough to justify its sinking. I swear someone is going to pay. The fact that we managed to sink FOUR enemy battleships and a Dread is soured by our loss. A BB is a costly project.

0rTCObc.jpg

We gain two prestige, 10k victory points (the Frogs gain 5k for bagging our Flagship) and victory in the war. The French navy is reduced to nothing, but we lost a valuable vessel.

At this point, I ask to my Cabinet:

A) We start immediately a Dread building project. With the money from the war and the end of the CL building, we can get even two new ships. Fuck the subs and fuck the Destroyers.

B) We will update our Destroyer Fleet and our subs. Then we'll renew our aging Bs and start building a new class of Dreads.

Well, in the postmortem of the Revitzan I must say that, well, I played aggressively, sank a ton of valuable French ships, and went full retard into risking an already damaged BB against a Destroyer screen. Here we can see how RTW is a good simulation: three years of work and millions of rubles sank by a single torpedo.

A single torpedo.

The only thing I regret is that I kept the Reviztan going after the torpedo hit at around 6-10 knots. I should have stopped the engine, and maybe I could have saved her.

utQjqqL.jpg

An overall view of the battle. I lost contact with the enemy BC soon, and it returned safely to port. The blue line is the fate of the enemy Battleline until the end of the Martel, its last member. You can see how it tried to escape desperately and almost managed to run until our CA force cut the retreat.

Luka-boy

Arcane
B - You seem to have a decent amount of big ships for now, so focus on the small guys and then make use of the latest techs to make the best possible heavies later.

Also fucking (un)lucky torpedo hit, man.
fuckyoufrog9db3i.png

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
A) We start immediately a Dread building project.

As long as war funds last, build heavy shit.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
The fact that we managed to sink FOUR enemy battleships and a Dread is soured by our loss. A BB is a costly project.
Ah, so what, think about all the money you just saved on maintenance. Design a fatty dread and call it Baardhaas. (option A obviously)

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'd like to point out that the tech advances we had already made the Nikolai Class obsolete. We can domestically build a 25k tons ship with twelve good quality 13 inch guns.

Twelve. That means a single ship will have the firepower of more than half of our legacy fleet. Combined.

If we want to go full metal, we can build the monster in the docks of our British allies. That would mean a 30.000 tons ship with 14 inch triple turrets. Best tech in the planet. Expensive as heck.

There is the risk that the Britons will say fuck you when the alliance ends (in roughly two-three years).

So, if you vote A, specify:

A1) Russian Tech: Native and Reliable.

A2) British Tech: To Rule the Waves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom