Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Rule The Waves

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let's Play Rule The Waves: "AvP 2010 has a shitty level design" Edition

fZU3OCZ.jpg

'ndove eravamo? Ahh, yes. A Cruiser raid. We have two rather old Light Cruisers (6 inch wepons, 6k tons) and three Destroyers. There are support squadrons in the area, but they are not under our direct control. Let's enjoy the hunt. I order the destroyer captains to patrol, to recon a bigger area.

We are finding jack shit. Time to check closer to the German shoreline, maybe we'll spot some Merchantmen.

XuyepFG.jpg

Instead we find a Destroyer Squadron patrolling. Phew phew phew.

dJ0YCPk.jpg

We sink them quickly. Mission accomplished. Yet, we hunger for more.

7ptiKc9.jpg

I'll spare you the exciting hunt for some small/medium merchantmen.

CIFRJau.jpg

A good result. For once, we win a raid.

ydpWttD.jpg

Was goddamn time.

hBC0nlU.jpg

SEND IN THE MARINES. why you make me do this, it's evil. The revolution will not be stopped, I swear. Wait a sec I'm the power now

bi23h7n.jpg

Bigger guns, better quality.

GmdonXB.jpg

Captain Kalin gets a raider.

1nCJrGf.jpg

It's a Hela class, a light raider. The Kalinin jumps to the hunt, his captain salivating for the chance of loot.

IuLFChQ.jpg

OK. This all happened so fast I lost the screeshots for it.

- The Kalinin gets closer as the Hela manages to reach the Russian coasts.

- The Kalinin gets hit by a torpedo, gets a lot of Flotation damage and starts retreating.

- One of the last shots of the Kalinin hits a ammo dump from the Hela, and the ship blows up in a column of smoke and fire.

12415.jpg
"Fear the sting of the black man. For even when he's wounded, he strikes hard". See Imma all deep an' shit you niggas!

It's a great stroke of dumb luck!

OMd1FZ6.jpg

We snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat.

GroyTQP.jpg

Now they build docks. The fucks. Lazy private sector.

Cun4a65.jpg

The Krauts have enough. They beg for peace, and the Tzar concedes it, with "harsh" terms. VICTORY

j2llrwn.jpg

VALUE FOUR? AFTER WINNING BY ALMOST 10k POINTS? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? WE ARE BETRAYED!

OUR DIPLOMATS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF BETRAYERS! THEY SWIM IN GERMAN GOLD; WITHOUT DOUBT!

TSAR! IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I SWEAR!

I'll explain. We can ask for territories depending on their point values: 4 points are.... well, a nice result, but not that big for the amount of damage we gave. Well, it happens. Sigh.

We ask for the Chinese and the Pacific possessions. Not even all of them. Damn.

cCLSlwD.jpg

What we all feared. How I will keep up my victorious ships without money, Tsar? We won the war, after all! Do not forget us! The Germans are building Dreadnaughts! We lose a good third of the budget. Thankfully, with the money from the Battleship event we got, we can keep trucking for at least two years.

Well, it's a short update but I guess we could end it here. The end of the war is a good time for changing naval policies.

1) Should we keep the "Maximize Prestige" policy?

2) Should we keep the "Balanced Doctrine" policy?

3) Should we keep the attempts to get into a fight with the Japanese (easier this time, tensions have lowered all around).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Now that we have experienced navy, gotta teach those weeaboo a lesson. If we do it naw, we can still save the world from anime! No mercy! No furries allowed! Cannons and vodka! :russia:

Seriosuly though, let's make some tension with Japan happen. I've been waiting for it since the first post.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Now that we have experienced navy, gotta teach those weeaboo a lesson. If we do it naw, we can still save the world from anime! No mercy! No furries allowed! Cannons and vodka! :russia:

Seriosuly though, let's make some tension with Japan happen. I've been waiting for it since the first post.
+1

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Not sure how I became a nig-nog, but damn I'm doing guud. Tsar-hatin' zio thugs foiled in Germany, now the japs are next. Take Korea! Then crush the jews in UK and rule supreme!

Show us tonnage in almanac first before we decide to jump on nips or not. I would expect to have advantage but hey you never know. Also at 9 unrest getting immediately into another war isn't best idea.

Acquire currency first and foremost. Prestige is secondary.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Show us tonnage in almanac first before we decide to jump on nips or not. I would expect to have advantage but hey you never know. Also at 9 unrest getting immediately into another war isn't best idea.

9 Unrest is a good point to avoid war immediately. On the tonnage of jap ships, they are irrelevant, technologically backward (we keep up with the big ones thanks to money and events) and poor.

Austria-Hungary and France are inferior to us, Germany is roughly equal (but more technologically apt) and the US/Britain surpass us greatly.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

9g2pECK.jpg

Li48Ham.jpg

Dayyālu

Arcane
Aaaand it's May 27, Tsushima Day!

QY7H5er.jpg

Spare a moment for the brave Japanese sailors, and another for the even braver Russian sailors who fought and died in the most hilariously subpar conditions possible!

Nothing happens until the 2:00 mark, though.

Update coming this weekend.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let's play Rule The Waves: "We are 3 million pounds under par month" Edition

What's funny is almost entire Wapanese fleet at the time was manufactured in the UK.

You can do the same in RTW, even if there are risks of getting your ship confiscated by the other nation if they need it for military purposes. Furthermore, if you get into a war with the building nation.... yeah. Mid-tier nations like Russia don't need to resort to such options, though, as our ship tech and development, while not being the best, is adequate to our needs.

So, the war is over and it's good for us to make a review of the overall situation. After the war ended tension lowered all over the board, giving us at least a year or two (or even more) to rebuild and consolidate.

First of all, the Almanac.

PSzoBO7.jpg

Our Budget got slashed, as expected. We have reserves to keep up the building of our new main ships, so it's not such a big problem. About ship numbers, we are evenly balanced with the other major powers (bar the usual Britain), even if I refused to design or build Battlecruisers. The only needs we have are some new designs for Destroyers to use the 700 tons advancement and modernize a bit our Cruiser forces. By refitting or designing them anew, we need to check.

wW48wHH.jpg

Our subs fought well, but their numbers have dwindled in the closing months of the war. A new sub building program will be needed when the other projects and ships are ready.

ZFtpnkN.jpg

I check carefully our CL and CA designs. Well shit, our legacy design are mostly crap. Too slow, build for unclear tasks and with uneven armament. The risks of the automated ship generator, I guess. I can upgrade all of them to better Fire Control systems, but now it's not the time.

ENZWlf2.jpg

A thing I can do cheaply is to redesign or Minesweepers. The Gonets class is built to have extreme range and good reliability, so we can afford to ship them where they will be needed (and not to keep double the numbers on both the Pacific and the Baltic Fleet). Maybe it's a dumb idea, but at the time seemed logical. We order three, they are cheap.

v7gRYcd.jpg

From the timeline of our shipyards, it seems that we will have to wait a little more than half a year to begin a retooling program. To suppor the costs, I cut training (no longer useful) and send into reserve Fleet some of the older ships. Hey, I know, but we are clearly at peace now and money does not grow on trees.

For example, placing most of our older designs in Reserve cuts A MILLION POUNDS from the manteinance. They'll lose the edge we gained from battle experience, but it's needed. I don't touch the Elite ones, like the Kalinin: they have won the right to be well-paid.

Regarding dock extensions and fixed fortifications, from a quick review it seems we don't need them at this time. Plus I've never seen one of my fortifications repay its building costs!

Let's go, then.

lLnMQuF.jpg

The last batch of Coastal subs we ordered is ready.

mZIBx2I.jpg

Good for me. The Gonets are a cheap MS design. Another one to avoid MINES will be good.

5eDIvOf.jpg

WELL. The Britons have been favourably impressed by our élan and by our victories against the brutish horde. They ask us for a five year security arrangement. Holy fug, there is no way I'm refusing this even if it will be expensive for our budget.

vKaJHXn.jpg

We'll see about the slaves in ten years' time, britons

Allies in RTW will help you in blockading enemy fleets, will add VP every turn, sink enemy ships (it's the only case in which AI nations fight) and share tech. Being allied with Britain, despite the risks of being dragged into another war, is a very good thing. If Germany or France gets uppity, well, they are already dead. Very, very good.

On the negative, the alliance costs us a million pounds budget cut. Let's hope it will be worth it, that was what we gained from the reserve fleet move.

K8Ey3ma.jpg

Our ever efficient spy network manages to steal the last German BB design. Germany is in dire financial straits though, our spies also report that their Battlecruiser construction program is being halted. Good.

Yet, compared to our Nikolai class the German design is slower but a bit more armoured and heavily armed. Four more 12 inch guns in exchange of shit secondary armament. Yet, 9 inch guns won't do us much good in direct combat with a Dread.... let's hope I did not fuck up the design.

tn9icq4.jpg

We could gain another alliance, but we are already allied with Britain. And trust me, there is no bigger fish. We need more money though!

7D1336R.jpg

Squint-eyed Asians! THIS CANNOT STAND!

Our Battleship of the Eustafi Class and our Minesweepers are ready and starts working up. Yet, a tragedy hits our Admiralty.

lmnEu1j.jpg

This is what happens when you let politicians run a country. "COOL I HAVE A NEW IDEA GUYS LET'S BUILD SIX MORE CRUISERS GUYS". And you have to grin and accept, because we are going for Budget and Prestige. WE'LL BUILD THEM DAMMIT

(You can notice how tension with Japan hit rock-bottom. I don't know, it seems that the RNG wants Eternal Peace between the Land of the Rising Sun and us. I don't know.)

Well, at least the Secretary gave us a 3 millions raise in the budget. Should be enough to design and build the required CL and CA. And we wanted to modernize our fleet nonetheless.... on the other hand, our spies report that BOTH Japan and Germany have enormous economic difficulties and are stopping their rearmament programs. Good for us.

1C0ZuBs.jpg

The Memory of Mercury will be designed as a Protected Cruiser CL. It's fast and well armed, even if a bit on the expensive side. I bet it can sink all enemy ship of its class in raiding operations, though.

Ironically enough, the REAL Memory of Mercury was a true Protected Cruiser of the Russian Navy. Similar weight, even if the weapon configuration and speed are rather different.

800px-Pamyat%27_Merkuriya_01.jpg

It managed to truck on until WW2, renamed Komintern, before being hit by Germans and then employed as a breakwater. Long history, for a ship.

z5axa0d.jpg

For our new CA design, I let the AI design something new. I'm lazy. The Oleg class seems to be solid. I'll keep it. Pity we can't afford to build such big CAs, too expensive.

Costs are insane nonetheless. 6 CLs will eat most of our budget, and we are now 6 millions into the red. Time to balance the thing.... I mothball a number of our ships to sustain the costs. I would have preferred to wait a bit more for our great CL renovation project!

rBUFJgz.jpg

I no longer give you all the minor tech advances, as it would be redundant. We had several minor improvements in armour quality, torpedo quality and turret design, but nothing too impressive.

zgnB9Po.jpg

Eh. Do you even need to ask? France takes it VERY badly and we get into yellow tension with them.

Hmmm. I fear we'll end up hitting our heads with the frogeaters. But we are allied with Britain, so it will be a massacre. We'll see....we'll see... every day a day of excitement in the Imperial Navy: our budget is sinking, the French are angry, and we are forced to build a shitton of Cruisers. Happiness and joy!

To the next time!

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Frogs, Krauts, Nips, it really doesn't matter who you go to war with, as long as you manage to start another war before the alliance with England expires.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let's Play Rule the Waves: Avoiding Bankruptcy Edition

2owEeq1.jpg

Well, if we keep building everything we will be bankrupt soon. Time to make painful sacrifices: we halt the construction of one of our Dreads. The sharp eyed amongst you maybe noticed that the Mercury class has a different armour scheme than our stock ships: it's a Protected Cruiser. In reality, the difference between protected cruisers and armoured cruisers (you don't believe they are the same thing, don't you?) is fairly technical and focused on the evolution of engagement distances and chances to hit the waterline: mechanically for us, it means that Protected cruisers are less efficient than armoured cruiser protection scheme. I hope that the Mercury class, being heavily armed and kinda fast for a CL, will not need much protection and will sink enemy CLs at range.

Maybe I will be wrong! Who knows.

Halting construction gives us a bit of breathing space. If the Tension with France rises another. bit, I'm gonna waste money in getting back to active service all the ships I can. Pity for our sub program, we can't simply spare the money.

60TF61J.jpg

This is a good tech advancement. Now we can give our AI captains the order to form, well, a Destroyer Screen. It's fairly useful as a generic cover for our heavy hitters, and it will let us intercept the enemy Destroyers making torpedo runs. Turn reports are that the French are building a huge 25k tons Battlecruiser, but no chance to finish it before we start killing each other.

PF6rKYX.jpg

I need to avoid being in the red, but the order from the Cabinet is still to buy. New tech from the Usalings.

Mr5CXWI.jpg

Thanks, assholes. I'll stop building half of them in the same instant you fucks end your inspection and get out of the docks.

Pity for our sub program, we can't simply spare the money.

z23Gm8M.jpg

giphy-downsized-large.gif

A gripping image of our Budget right now

Great. The new naval secretary is probably reading this update as I'm writing it and demands 12 new subs. I would love, honey, but WHERE THE HECK I FIND THE MONEY FOR THEM?

Luckily the Cabinet decisions save me as refusing to build subs is a +Prestige option. Are those people insane? Employing subs is not prestigious? One day I should write a book about navy strategy. Maybe some retard secretary or president will read it and order some future admiral to build, I don't know, a 600-ships navy to prove his dick is big.

Who I am joking, no one would be that dumb.

We'll have to endure the budget cut.

yDY0Tfp.jpg

We are Holy Russia. We have won a war by grinding our opponent into fine dust and random explosions. We don't accept restrictions. We sink the conference by refusing to agree.

47Lqxqk.jpg

"But but but we need money, Admiral!"
"The Cabinets wants Prestige. We'll manage."

I swear that if we go bankrupt I'm going to LP Kantai Collection. Then we can all enjoy our new Destroyer class asking us to get married.

ROHZsOn.jpg

Very, very good. I doubt that we will manage to get 4-centreline ships in action before 1912 AT BEST, but it lets you design things like this:

XOdXw1H.jpg

As I said, forget about seeing it soon though.

MZRhtfj.jpg

Another chance to rush foward to a confrontation with France.

zwd3I3A.jpg

Our subs will be more reliable now. Furthermore, we can now design 900 tons Destroyers. Lost the screenshot for that, but it means our screens become far more effective. I'll remind you that 1899 Destroyers were 400 tons. Less than a decade, double the weight. I start some building shenanigans with the CLs to keep our budget afloat. Like a ship taking water, we must slow down.

Lg4hUzG.jpg

Fuck you, Austria. Hang 'em high. And we get a budget raise out of it, too! We have nothing to fear from Austria, bar some insane RNG rolls for land warfare.

ph3B2i6.jpg

Thanks, US. We are buying. It's a nice thing that our intelligence reports are full of enemy BBs getting halted construction. We'll finish ours, sooner or later.

zGaIylS.jpg

All good, all good. I'd prefer Sub tech though.

3fGwrro.jpg

0I4CWLo.jpg

New resources, and we prove to be good allies. Fuck the Irish, they are Catholic scum after all. Never trust a Papist. I can tell. They are everywhere. They could be writing to you this very moment.

h1Gq3fm.jpg

There could be a good joke here, but I realize that you are all godless Protestant foreigners and you won't get it. The tragedy. We tell the US to shut up, they were dangerous fishermen. Probably Irish migrants.

cN1fgbm.jpg

New tactics.

K5dvLCx.jpg

Wait, we have a parliament? Not a problem as long as they keep sending us money.

u5ehTMV.jpg

Despite the valiant words of the French ambassador, I fear we can't let some random european small power to let us modify our policy. In other words, NO. They don't take it well.

TDsVqtq.jpg

We get a flurry of new tech advances in January: more efficient pumps to keep flotational damaga unlder control and two weight-saving techonlogies. Even better, we unlock Triple Turrets!

paris%2Bcommune.jpg

Russian Power Supreme. This is a Tsarist ship, by the way, their first class of Dreadnaught, the Gangut class. Up in service until the '50.

January 1909, and end update. In another year we'll end up both the Cruiser program and the Dread construction, and we will need to waste money to refit the older ships, build more subs and Destroyers.

But, in the case France gets uppity, our first new Dread will be ready in three months.

1409158289297_wps_24_HMS_Dreadnought_being_bui.jpg

Soon. This is the British HMS Dreadnaught, by the way.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom